PDA

View Full Version : Distended Tummy - Possible Tumour?

The High Council
August 28th 07, 05:02 PM
Ok guys, I just took Ian in and I had to leave him with the vet.
Basically he says he has a bit of a distended tummy (fluid in there)
and he wants to do a scan to see if he can see what might be causing
it.

Now, we've had his blood work done last week and it showed no sign of
infection or kidney/liver problem etc. - the only reading was a high
platelet count.

I am starting to panic thinking it might be a tumour somewhere. If it
is, are they treatable (ie: can they be cut out etc) or is it likely
to be fatal?

Anyone have any other ideas what it might be? As I said, the bloods
showed up no obvious infection last week.

:-(

Rene S.
August 28th 07, 06:41 PM
I posted a response in your lethargic cat thread. Keep the faith--and
ask a lot of questions when the results come back.

The High Council
August 29th 07, 03:09 PM
Ok, Ian has had his ultrasound today and the good news is that there
is no 'obvious' sign of a tumor. Although the vet STILL doesn't rule
it out???

He has had a sample of the fluid taken from his distended abdomen and
it is a 'yellow fluid' that is being analysed. It will take a couple
of days to get the results back. In the meantime I am to take Ian back
home tonight (even though he still has the fluid distention and will
be unwell).

The vet doesn't seem to have a clue as to what might be causing it. He
has had bloods and they don't show anything like an infection, his
temperature is ok etc. His major organs 'seem' ok apparently.

So its just awaiting the result of the fluids now.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? What the fluid
might be? The vet still seems to imply its probably quite
serious...what is he trying to tell me?

I'm so upset :-(

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:19:32 -0400, "cindys"
> wrote:

>"The High Council" > wrote in message
>> Ok guys, I just took Ian in and I had to leave him with the vet.
>> Basically he says he has a bit of a distended tummy (fluid in there)
>> and he wants to do a scan to see if he can see what might be causing
>> it.
>>
>> Now, we've had his blood work done last week and it showed no sign of
>> infection or kidney/liver problem etc. - the only reading was a high
>> platelet count.
>>
>> I am starting to panic thinking it might be a tumour somewhere. If it
>> is, are they treatable (ie: can they be cut out etc) or is it likely
>> to be fatal?
>>
>> Anyone have any other ideas what it might be? As I said, the bloods
>> showed up no obvious infection last week.
>-------
>Don't panic. When we rescued Molly (of blessed memory), she also had a
>distended tummy. It's called ascites. It often happens if the cat has worms.
>The worms got treated, everything was back to normal! Hopefully, it's
>nothing more serious than that for Ian.
>Best regards,
>---Cindy S.

Rhonda[_3_]
August 30th 07, 05:49 AM
Hi HC,

Has the vet checked for FIP? I don't know much about it other than it
can cause distended stomachs.

Our cat has a swollen stomach and had fluid drained and analyzed, but
that was after a surgery to remove her colon. Hers turned out to be a
septic infection -- basically her whole trunk area was contaminated and
infected. She was a very, very sick kitty. She had emergency surgery
(again...), and they spent hours cleaning her insides out, but she made it.

If this vet is puzzled, and if he is the one who did whatever procedure
it was that started this, you might consider getting a second opinion
very quickly. I don't know if I'd want to wait days for test results.
Any way at least to speed those up?

Good luck,

Rhonda