PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help advise me about my cat, Ian?

The High Council
August 29th 07, 03:11 PM
Ok, Ian has had his ultrasound today and the good news is that there
is no 'obvious' sign of a tumor. Although the vet STILL doesn't rule
it out???

He has had a sample of the fluid taken from his distended abdomen and
it is a 'yellow fluid' that is being analysed. It will take a couple
of days to get the results back. In the meantime I am to take Ian back
home tonight (even though he still has the fluid distention and will
be unwell).

The vet doesn't seem to have a clue as to what might be causing it. He
has had bloods and they don't show anything like an infection, his
temperature is ok etc. His major organs 'seem' ok apparently.

So its just awaiting the result of the fluids now.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? What the fluid
might be? The vet still seems to imply its probably quite
serious...what is he trying to tell me?

I'm so upset :-(

Rene S.
August 29th 07, 05:47 PM
Hi Ian,

I'm really sorry to hear about what's going on with Ian. This must be
tough for you. The first thing that comes to mind when you describe a
yellow fluid is FIP. Please keep in mind that I am not a vet. I am
going by what I know from a friend who's experienced this several
times. It might be worth reading about this in case this turns out to
be FIP. Here's a good site: http://www.dr-addie.com/

FIP is extremely difficult to diagnose. There is no standard test to
diagnose it. The best you can do is take several parameters (ie. a
corona virus titer, fluid analysis, etc.) and put them together to
forum a "probable" diagnosis. I don't want to scare you, but at the
same time, it's always good to be prepared with information. This is
one of several possibilities that you might want to look into.

Hugs to you and Ian during this difficult time.

Rene

Rene S.
August 31st 07, 02:21 PM
Any update on Ian? Hoping to hear from you soon. . .