PDA

View Full Version : Separation anxiety???

August 29th 07, 08:14 PM
My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
to know I am near.

My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.

This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!

So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.

Thanx Hercules' s Mom

CatNipped[_2_]
August 29th 07, 08:56 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
> anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
> cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
> total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
> to know I am near.
>
> My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
> townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
> 1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
> me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
> they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
> easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
> multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
> me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
> Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
> enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
> me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
> ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
> stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
> spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
> awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.
>
> This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
> yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
> heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
> done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!
>
> So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
> would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.
>
> Thanx Hercules' s Mom

Jessie is like that with DH. I won't let him smoke in the house, so he goes
outside to the upper deck. The kitchen has glass French doors, so Jessie
can see outside and see him standing there - yet she still howls to wake the
dead until he comes back inside. When I'm home from work and DH is working,
Jessie will howl off and on all day! She follows him from room to room like
a puppy dog. I often warn him not to stop short or he'll have a
Jessie-shaped suppository stuck up his.... well, you get my drift! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

bookie
August 30th 07, 12:19 AM
On 29 Aug, 20:14, " >
wrote:
> My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
> anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
> cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
> total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
> to know I am near.
>
> My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
> townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
> 1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
> me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
> they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
> easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
> multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
> me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
> Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
> enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
> me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
> ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
> stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
> spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
> awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.
>
> This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
> yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
> heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
> done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!
>
> So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
> would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.
>
> Thanx Hercules' s Mom

feliway diffuser? might calm him down perhaps.

cybercat
August 30th 07, 12:39 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Jessie is like that with DH. I won't let him smoke in the house, so he
> goes outside to the upper deck. The kitchen has glass French doors, so
> Jessie can see outside and see him standing there - yet she still howls to
> wake the dead until he comes back inside. When I'm home from work and DH
> is working, Jessie will howl off and on all day! She follows him from
> room to room like a puppy dog.

I think Jesse is your most beautiful cat. :) A petite girlycat.

Rhonda[_3_]
August 30th 07, 05:56 AM
Is he a Siamese?

Rhonda

wrote:
> My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
> anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
> cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
> total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
> to know I am near.
>
> My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
> townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
> 1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
> me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
> they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
> easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
> multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
> me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
> Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
> enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
> me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
> ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
> stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
> spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
> awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.
>
> This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
> yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
> heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
> done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!
>
> So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
> would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.
>
> Thanx Hercules' s Mom

CatNipped[_2_]
August 30th 07, 01:26 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> Jessie is like that with DH. I won't let him smoke in the house, so he
>> goes outside to the upper deck. The kitchen has glass French doors, so
>> Jessie can see outside and see him standing there - yet she still howls
>> to wake the dead until he comes back inside. When I'm home from work and
>> DH is working, Jessie will howl off and on all day! She follows him from
>> room to room like a puppy dog.
>>

> I think Jesse is your most beautiful cat. :) A petite girlycat.

And she's her daddy's special little girl (she has him completely wrapped
around her little paw)! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

August 31st 07, 08:26 PM
On Aug 30, 8:26 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "CatNipped" > wrote
>
> >> Jessie is like that with DH. I won't let him smoke in the house, so he
> >> goes outside to the upper deck. The kitchen has glass French doors, so
> >> Jessie can see outside and see him standing there - yet she still howls
> >> to wake the dead until he comes back inside. When I'm home from work and
> >> DH is working, Jessie will howl off and on all day! She follows him from
> >> room to room like a puppy dog.
>
> > I think Jesse is your most beautiful cat. :) A petite girlycat.
>
> And she's her daddy's special little girl (she has him completely wrapped
> around her little paw)! ;>
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Well, as much as I have enjoyed reading all of the entries from you
guys, do you think you could POSSIBLY get back to the subject of MY
Hercules and his problem? I would like some help in easing his
anxiety without drugs!

CatNipped[_2_]
August 31st 07, 09:11 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 30, 8:26 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message

>> > "CatNipped" > wrote

>> > I think Jesse is your most beautiful cat. :) A petite girlycat.
>>
>> And she's her daddy's special little girl (she has him completely wrapped
>> around her little paw)! ;>
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Well, as much as I have enjoyed reading all of the entries from you
> guys, do you think you could POSSIBLY get back to the subject of MY
> Hercules and his problem? I would like some help in easing his
> anxiety without drugs!

LOL! Welcome to the wonderful world of thread drift!! Quick answer, get
her a cat companion.

Hugs,

CatNipped

September 7th 07, 03:44 AM
On Aug 31, 4:11 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> And she's her daddy's special little girl (she has him completely wrapped
> >> around her little paw)! ;>
>
> >> Hugs,
>
> >> CatNipped
>
> > Well, as much as I have enjoyed reading all of the entries from you
> > guys, do you think you could POSSIBLY get back to the subject of MY
> > Hercules and his problem? I would like some help in easing his
> > anxiety without drugs!
>
> LOL! Welcome to the wonderful world of thread drift!! Quick answer, get
> her a cat companion.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Well, Hercules is #3 in a 4 cat household. I don't think a companion
is quite the answer. A;though we did loose our eldest female cat to
liver cancer the end of May, and then we moved July 12th so maybe he
is just simply over loaded with to many changes.

IBen Getiner
September 7th 07, 10:33 AM
On Aug 29, 3:14?pm, " >
wrote:
> My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
> anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
> cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
> total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
> to know I am near.
>
> My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
> townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
> 1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
> me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
> they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
> easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
> multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
> me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
> Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
> enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
> me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
> ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
> stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
> spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
> awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.
>
> This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
> yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
> heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
> done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!
>
> So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
> would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.
>
> Thanx Hercules' s Mom

Tell me, Mother... Did you ever participate in child-rearing...?
Because if you did, you'd know what you got here is a spoiled rotten
child, in base-essence. It's probably too late. Now that you've
already created this monster, that is.. But at least you can try. The
first thing you need to do is to get a child's squirt gun. You can
find these at any dime store or Walmart around. Great fun with the
kids. Loads of [quite harmless] lessons for your little Lord
Fauntleroy there. This should condition him in short order. It will
send a strong message that his child-like leanings will no longer be
tolerated. The next thing to do is to segregate him from the rest of
the household at nite. Take him, his food, his litter and his water
and put them all into a separate room (preferably on the other side of
the house). The close the door. This way he won't be bothering you at
nite then, either. You might need to use one of those noisy box fans
to colour the cries for a while. At least our or five weeks until he
gets used to it.
These two things are good ideas as far as I'm concerned. They work
well in establishing between your pet and you just who is the real
boss.
And that leads me this statement, which I will use for my closer...
Just who IS the boss in your home...? I think the answer to that
question is quite clear at this particular juncture. The only question
now must be, is it academic...?

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
September 7th 07, 10:46 AM
On Aug 29, 3:14?pm, " >
wrote:
> My spoiled baby Hercules has the worst case of separation
> anxiety I have ever seen. He is not distructive in an way, but he
> cries and yowls from the depths of his soul when he does not have
> total access to me. He does not need to be in my lap, he just needs
> to know I am near.
>
> My mother and I (she's 83) recently had to move into a
> townhouse together. I have converted the lower part into a nice, small
> 1 bedroom apt for mom and I have done the same on the upper floor for
> me. I decided that the cats could poss a threat of falling to mom if
> they were under foot, so I put up a small barrier that they could
> easily jump over or knock down----they don't This barrier has
> multiple holes in it, simular to a wrought iron type gate.They can see
> me and have even learned that "go up" means to go back up stairs. But
> Hercules is a different story. When I am downstairs he proceeds to
> enter into this fit of extreme panic/anxiety because he can't be with
> me. He can see me and has learned that I do return. Nothing will
> ease his anxiety untill I return to the top floor. Once I am back up
> stairs he is fine. In fact, most of the time he will go off to his
> spot and go down for another nap. But let me go down stairs and he is
> awake and yowling for me at the foot of the stairs.
>
> This also happens anytime I leave the house. He cries and
> yowls till he simply has no voice left. Has any one out there ever
> heard of a cat with extreme separation anxiety and if so what can be
> done-----AND I DO NOT want to medicate him !!
>
> So help if you can guys! Hercules would appreciate it, I
> would appreciate it and I know my mother would appreciate it.
>
> Thanx Hercules' s Mom

Tell me, Mother... Did you ever participate in child-rearing...?
Because if you did, you'd know the pitfalls of raising a spoiled
rotten child. It's probably too late. Now that you've already created
this monster.. But at least you can try. The first thing you do is to
get a child's squirt gun. You can find these at any dime store or
Walmart around. Great fun with the kids. Loads of [quite harmless]
lessons for your little Lord Fauntleroy there. This should condition
him in short order. It will send a strong message that his child-like
leanings will no longer be tolerated. The next thing to do is to
segregate him from the rest of the household at nite. Take him, his
food, his litter and his water and put them in a separate room
(preferably on the other side of the house). Then close the door. He
won't be bothering you at nite then, either. You might need to use one
of those noisy box fans to colour the cries for a while. At least for
four or five weeks until he gets used to it.
These two things are good ideas, as far as I'm concerned. They work
well in establishing between you and your pet just who is the real
boss around there.
And that leads me this statement, which will be my closer... Just who
IS the boss in your home, Mother....? I think that the answer to that
question is quite clear at this juncture. The only question now must
be.... is it going to remain academic, or are you going to do
something about it...?

IBen Getiner