PDA

View Full Version : Help with new borns

August 30th 07, 05:16 AM
I have a stray that has been living in my backyard since about
Christmas. We had a bad storm Tuesday early am and I awoke to find she
had just deposited 4 kittens at my back door. She was pretty wet even
though she had them under my walkway from my door to my garage.. That
evening, I got a towel, a box and some more towels and moved the
kittens on the towel along with mom to the garage a few feet away to
give them better protection from the elements. Tonight I come home
from work and was pretty sure that one had passed as she had moved him/
her inside the box and putting her paw on him/her. Later this evening
I confirm this and saw small amount of blood where she had been moved
and even more near the other 3. Now I just discover there is some sort
of tube/blood vessel tying the other 3 together because I was unable
to separate them. Something went wrong obviously but anything I can do
about it? I am guessing the kitten that died was separated somehow .

Thanks, Fletch

Rhonda[_3_]
August 30th 07, 05:54 AM
I would call a vet ASAP, an emergency vet tonight if you can. Explain it
to them and how they suggest getting the cats in to be examined. Can you
touch the mom? It would be best if the whole family went in together.

Let us know what happens.

Rhonda

wrote:
> I have a stray that has been living in my backyard since about
> Christmas. We had a bad storm Tuesday early am and I awoke to find she
> had just deposited 4 kittens at my back door. She was pretty wet even
> though she had them under my walkway from my door to my garage.. That
> evening, I got a towel, a box and some more towels and moved the
> kittens on the towel along with mom to the garage a few feet away to
> give them better protection from the elements. Tonight I come home
> from work and was pretty sure that one had passed as she had moved him/
> her inside the box and putting her paw on him/her. Later this evening
> I confirm this and saw small amount of blood where she had been moved
> and even more near the other 3. Now I just discover there is some sort
> of tube/blood vessel tying the other 3 together because I was unable
> to separate them. Something went wrong obviously but anything I can do
> about it? I am guessing the kitten that died was separated somehow .
>
> Thanks, Fletch

August 30th 07, 06:14 AM
yes I can touch the mom and she is not connected to them only the
kittens. So far they seem to be ok 2 for sure..1 a bit weaker but
hanging on. They are nursing with no problems What is this? Any idea?
There is a vet not too far from me but will be am before he is open.

Thanks, Fletch

On Aug 29, 11:54 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> I would call a vet ASAP, an emergency vet tonight if you can. Explain it
> to them and how they suggest getting the cats in to be examined. Can you
> touch the mom? It would be best if the whole family went in together.
>
> Let us know what happens.
>
> Rhonda
>
> wrote:
> > I have a stray that has been living in my backyard since about
> > Christmas. We had a bad storm Tuesday early am and I awoke to find she
> > had just deposited 4 kittens at my back door. She was pretty wet even
> > though she had them under my walkway from my door to my garage.. That
> > evening, I got a towel, a box and some more towels and moved the
> > kittens on the towel along with mom to the garage a few feet away to
> > give them better protection from the elements. Tonight I come home
> > from work and was pretty sure that one had passed as she had moved him/
> > her inside the box and putting her paw on him/her. Later this evening
> > I confirm this and saw small amount of blood where she had been moved
> > and even more near the other 3. Now I just discover there is some sort
> > of tube/blood vessel tying the other 3 together because I was unable
> > to separate them. Something went wrong obviously but anything I can do
> > about it? I am guessing the kitten that died was separated somehow .
>
> > Thanks, Fletch

August 30th 07, 06:45 AM
I just went out to the garage and it looks like the weaker one has
passed too now :(

What I could see looks like a tube/vessel attached to their lower
belly area. The one that just passed was very twisted there. The other
2 are still very active but still connected. If mom will move before I
go to bed , I will try to see how twisted the healthy ones are and
attempt to untwist them if it looks bad. I know humans have that kinda
of cord attached but cutting it does not kill you . I wonder if I
should try to break the cord, at least on the one that is passed and
get her/him away from the ones that still have a chance??? I will be
up at least 30-45 min trying to finish a paper for tomorrow so if you
get this within that time frame please respond.

Thanks, Fletch

On Aug 30, 12:14 am, wrote:
> yes I can touch the mom and she is not connected to them only the
> kittens. So far they seem to be ok 2 for sure..1 a bit weaker but
> hanging on. They are nursing with no problems What is this? Any idea?
> There is a vet not too far from me but will be am before he is open.
>
> Thanks, Fletch
>
> On Aug 29, 11:54 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
>
> > I would call a vet ASAP, an emergency vet tonight if you can. Explain it
> > to them and how they suggest getting the cats in to be examined. Can you
> > touch the mom? It would be best if the whole family went in together.
>
> > Let us know what happens.
>
> > Rhonda
>
> > wrote:
> > > I have a stray that has been living in my backyard since about
> > > Christmas. We had a bad storm Tuesday early am and I awoke to find she
> > > had just deposited 4 kittens at my back door. She was pretty wet even
> > > though she had them under my walkway from my door to my garage.. That
> > > evening, I got a towel, a box and some more towels and moved the
> > > kittens on the towel along with mom to the garage a few feet away to
> > > give them better protection from the elements. Tonight I come home
> > > from work and was pretty sure that one had passed as she had moved him/
> > > her inside the box and putting her paw on him/her. Later this evening
> > > I confirm this and saw small amount of blood where she had been moved
> > > and even more near the other 3. Now I just discover there is some sort
> > > of tube/blood vessel tying the other 3 together because I was unable
> > > to separate them. Something went wrong obviously but anything I can do
> > > about it? I am guessing the kitten that died was separated somehow .
>
> > > Thanks, Fletch

August 30th 07, 05:22 PM
Happy to report they made it through the night and my vet removed the
tubes and cleaned them up. They are back home with the mom now and
doing fine.

fletch

cybercat
August 30th 07, 05:29 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Happy to report they made it through the night and my vet removed the
> tubes and cleaned them up. They are back home with the mom now and
> doing fine.

So glad to hear it. Bless you for taking care of them.

Sheelagh >o
August 30th 07, 07:23 PM
On 30 Aug, 17:22, wrote:
> Happy to report they made it through the night and my vet removed the
> tubes and cleaned them up. They are back home with the mom now and
> doing fine.
>
> fletch

Thank you so much for keeping them & not rejecting them. I'm delighted
to hear that mummy & kittens are doing fine & well too. Not everyone
would do the kindness you have shown. Mercy is a generous thing theses
days, so thank you once again!
Sheelagh >"o"<

Rhonda[_3_]
August 31st 07, 04:28 PM
That's great news! I'm so glad you were able to help them.

Rhonda