PDA

View Full Version : Six-month-old still suckles

Suzie-Q[_2_]
August 30th 07, 08:32 AM
How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
the blanket on my bed?

I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
mom. I got her when she was four months old.

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Lesley via CatKB.com
August 30th 07, 09:20 AM
Suzie-Q wrote:
>How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
>the blanket on my bed?
>
>I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
>mom. I got her when she was four months old.

Is she a Siamese? Apparently they do this a lot

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

CatNipped[_2_]
August 30th 07, 01:28 PM
"Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
> How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
> the blanket on my bed?
>
> I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
> mom. I got her when she was four months old.

Sammy is 3.5 years old and she still sucks her toe...
http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/ I can't help you, I
think it's adorable! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
>
> 8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
> ~~~~
> I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was
> yesterday. -Adlai Stevenson
>
> As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet
>
> http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
> http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
> http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

bookie
August 30th 07, 01:52 PM
On 30 Aug, 08:32, Suzie-Q > wrote:
> How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
> the blanket on my bed?
>
> I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
> mom. I got her when she was four months old.
>
> --
>
> 8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
> ~~~~
> I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was
> yesterday. -Adlai Stevenson
>
> As seen on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/wacvet
>
> http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

my tortie puss tegan did this all her life, she started out just
sucking then started actually eating the blanket or jumper she would
be lying on, not good really. we got her some stuff to clear her out
from the vets when she did this, liquid paraffin stuff, but in the end
we just had to make sure that noone left jumpers out or blankets where
she could get to them.

if she starts to eat the material then try to stop her, she could get
a blockage in her insides and that would nto be good for her or your
bank balance.

bookie

James
August 30th 07, 02:50 PM
Wonder if giving them the baby bottle to suck on reduce sucking on the
blanket.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 30th 07, 02:56 PM
"James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wonder if giving them the baby bottle to suck on reduce sucking on the
> blanket.

Nope - Sammy ate the plastic nipples. I saw somewhere on the web, though,
that they make kitty pacifiers!

Hugs,

CatNipped

William Hamblen
August 31st 07, 01:05 AM
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:32:35 -0500, Suzie-Q >
wrote:

>How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
>the blanket on my bed?

Fold up the blanket and put it on the closet shelf.

The cat might grow out of the habit. I had one that sucked my shirt
sleeve until he was several years old, then he just stopped.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Sherry
August 31st 07, 02:17 AM
On Aug 30, 2:32 am, Suzie-Q > wrote:
> How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
> the blanket on my bed?
>
> I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
> mom. I got her when she was four months old.
>
> --
>
> 8^)~ Sue

Sue, my Frank did that. He still does occasionally. Usually they
prefer wool. Be
careful that kitty doesn't ingest too much fabric. For a really
interesting
read about this, google the words "pica" and "cats". Pretty
fascinating stuff.

Sherry

Suzie-Q[_2_]
September 1st 07, 04:27 PM
In article <[email protected]>, "Lesley via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Suzie-Q wrote:
> >How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
> >the blanket on my bed?
> >
> >I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
> >mom. I got her when she was four months old.
> >

> Is she a Siamese? Apparently they do this a lot

Nope. DSH; silver tabby.

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was
yesterday. -Adlai Stevenson

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Suzie-Q[_2_]
September 1st 07, 04:29 PM
In article >,
"CatNipped" > wrote:

> "Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
> > How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
> > the blanket on my bed?
> >
> > I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
> > mom. I got her when she was four months old.
>
> Sammy is 3.5 years old and she still sucks her toe...
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/ I can't help you, I
> think it's adorable! ;>

Doesn't her toe get sore, or raw, or chapped?

Maybe I'll try to get Mokee to suck on a toe instead
of the blanket!

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was
yesterday. -Adlai Stevenson

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

PawsForThought
September 3rd 07, 02:21 AM
My 7 year-old cat nurses on my husband's beard. He's done this since
we adopted him as a kitten from a rescue. He wraps his paws around
DH's neck and then nurses on his beard and purrs like mad. We've
never tried to break him of this because he seems so content when
doing it.

As far as the OP's case, maybe you could try putting some bitter apple
on the spot where he nurses.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 5th 07, 08:53 PM
"Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>
>> "Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
>> > How do I break a six-month-old kitten from suckling
>> > the blanket on my bed?
>> >
>> > I don't know how old she was when she was separated from
>> > mom. I got her when she was four months old.
>>
>> Sammy is 3.5 years old and she still sucks her toe...
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/ I can't help
>> you, I
>> think it's adorable! ;>
>
> Doesn't her toe get sore, or raw, or chapped?
>
> Maybe I'll try to get Mokee to suck on a toe instead
> of the blanket!

No, she doesn't do it often enough to make it sore. She will only suck her
toe when she is snuggled next to me, and she only does it for a few minutes
at a time once or twice a day.

Hugs,

CatNipped