PDA

View Full Version : Pet Smart kittens & cats?

Sheelagh >o
September 2nd 07, 06:15 AM
I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
are
involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
assuming
that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
Sundays?
How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
put up
their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
Also, how
do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
pick
some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
question.)

The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
have
anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
birds,
rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
dogs, cats,
puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
puppies,
it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
them
through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
can
get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
me.

I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
Any Brits know this one?

I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
wondered what it entails?
( adopting one from Petsmart?)
I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
of the
idea too?
Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Sherry
September 2nd 07, 06:31 AM
On Sep 2, 12:15 am, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
> are
> involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
> assuming
> that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
> Sundays?
> How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
> put up
> their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
> Also, how
> do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
> pick
> some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
> question.)

This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
whether all
stores have the same policies.
Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.
They bring animals in
from the shelter, and from foster homes, on weekends for "adoptions".
During the week, and
any other time, there's an area of cages in the stores for a few cats
chosen to stay there. It's
called "multi-cat". They are cared for by the rescue volunteers or
staff. Petsmart donates food and
litter.
Petsmart does not sell cats, or dogs. The adoptions are through the
rescue agency. The same strict
screening applies to potential adoptors the same as if they were
adopting from the regular shelter location.
Adoption fees apply, usuall around $70-$100. The animals are already
neutered and are vet-checked
and current on their vaccinations.

It is a wonderful opportunity for these animals to get far more
exposure than they would advertised from
foster homes, or in the shelter.

Our Petsmart also donates bags of litter that may have damaged
packaging, and the same for food, for foster families
to use at home.

> The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
> have
> anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
> birds,
> rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
> dogs, cats,
> puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
> puppies,
> it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
> them
> through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
> can
> get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
> me.
>
> I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
> Any Brits know this one?
>
> I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
> wondered what it entails?
> ( adopting one from Petsmart?)
> I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
> of the
> idea too?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

MaryL
September 2nd 07, 08:57 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 2, 12:15 am, "Sheelagh >o<" >
> wrote:
>> I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
>> are
>> involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
>> assuming
>> that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
>> Sundays?
>> How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
>> put up
>> their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
>> Also, how
>> do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
>> pick
>> some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
>> question.)
>
> This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
> whether all
> stores have the same policies.
> Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.
> They bring animals in
> from the shelter, and from foster homes, on weekends for "adoptions".
> During the week, and
> any other time, there's an area of cages in the stores for a few cats
> chosen to stay there. It's
> called "multi-cat". They are cared for by the rescue volunteers or
> staff. Petsmart donates food and
> litter.
> Petsmart does not sell cats, or dogs. The adoptions are through the
> rescue agency. The same strict
> screening applies to potential adoptors the same as if they were
> adopting from the regular shelter location.
> Adoption fees apply, usuall around $70-$100. The animals are already
> neutered and are vet-checked
> and current on their vaccinations.
>
> It is a wonderful opportunity for these animals to get far more
> exposure than they would advertised from
> foster homes, or in the shelter.
>
> Our Petsmart also donates bags of litter that may have damaged
> packaging, and the same for food, for foster families
> to use at home.

That's how it works here, too. We have both PetSmart and PetSense, and they
have similar arrangements. Both have been excellent sources for adoptions
from our local Alley Cats Allies. Kittens and adoptable cats are fostered
first to socialize them, then are available from Adopt-a-Thons that are held
twice a month through either PetSmart and PetSense. Adoptive "parents" sign
an agreement to return the cats if they are unable to keep them, and they
agree not to have them declawed. All cats are spay/neutered and
vetted/innoculated *before* adoption. That's how I became a "sponsor mom"
to two kittens this summer -- I did not adopt or foster them, but I paid for
their veterinary bills so they could be fostered and then placed through the
Adopt-a-Thons. Carmen was quickly adopted, but Chelsea has not yet been
adopted. I wish they could have been adopted as a pair, but Carmen is in a
home where she is already "queen of the household," and Chelsea will be
fostered until an adoptive home can be found.

MaryL

MaryL
September 2nd 07, 09:27 AM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
> are
> involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
> assuming
> that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
> Sundays?
> How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
> put up
> their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
> Also, how
> do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
> pick
> some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
> question.)
>
> The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
> have
> anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
> birds,
> rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
> dogs, cats,
> puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
> puppies,
> it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
> them
> through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
> can
> get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
> me.
>
> I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
> Any Brits know this one?
>
> I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
> wondered what it entails?
> ( adopting one from Petsmart?)
> I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
> of the
> idea too?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

In addition to what I wrote in response to Sherry's message, I would like to
point out that pets that are adopted from animal shelters and from sites
like PetSmart and PetSense are *not* sold. Unlike pet stores and breeders
that do sell cats and dogs, these sites place pets for adoptions (and also
have a process for checking references from vets and others). Many of them
have a minimal charge to *partially* cover the cost of boarding and vetting,
but they definitely are not sold.

MaryL

Sheelagh >o
September 2nd 07, 01:06 PM
On 2 Sep, 06:31, Sherry > wrote:
> [...]
> > can
> > get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
> > me.
>
> > I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
> > Any Brits know this one?
>
> > I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
> > wondered what it entails?
> > ( adopting one from Petsmart?)
> > I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
> > of the
> > idea too?
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Sheelagh >"o"<- Hide quoted text -

> This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
> whether all
> stores have the same policies.
> Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.

What a fantastic idea!!!!

<slapping my forehead>

I can't think why no one over here hasn't come up with the same idea?
I wonder if it is because there are difficulties in getting around the
law here? I shall make it my mission to find out.

It is one of the best idea's that I have heard in a long time!! I will
get on to my line manager @ the cat protection league to see if we
can't try out a similar program over here. We don't have exactly the
same shops here, but we do have similar ones. Our local one is called
Pets at Home,(it's like a warehouse shop) which of course is an ideal
logo too.
As it is part of a chain of shops, I wouldn't expect it to happen
overnight, however, I do think this might be achievable if we ask in
the right way.

First, we have to find out if there is some law that prevents us from
doing a similar scheme here to that which have related to me- Then we
need to find out when it is best for them, & work around them (If they
agree to that is...) I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't,
because it gives them a good name in the name of charity. If people
knew that this was a regular thing, it would also be a crowd puller
too, which of course is in the shops benefit. You know how it is- you
go to the shop for milk, then come back with butter, milk, eggs,
bread, jam & tea cake too. Well, it is the same when you go to buy cat
litter too, isn't it?

It would bring a huge sigh of relief to some of our foster parents as
well. I know that over this summer, I have cared for a set couple of
kittens from 6 weeks old, then I had a mother & her 4 kittens, a pair
of snow shoes too, as well as a big fat tabby female for 4 weeks. I
know that I am not alone, because they were crying out for more foster
homes to care for these cats. As fast as one leaves, there is another
to take their place & we had to home these cats our self, which is
hard work, when you are waiting for the client to come your way,
things don't move that fast. Now, if we were able to actually show the
public what we had to offer, that would be a whole new ball game :o)

I'm delighted that I asked about this now. I just noticed people
mentioning that they got this or that cat from Pet shop, & although I
did realise that they were being adopted rather than bought, I didn't
like to make myself look a complete fool for asking. : I'm so pleased
I have now. If anyone has any other input that might help us out in
our quest to see if we can get a similar scheme up & running over
here.

We have adoption centers rather like you do, & we have open days where
we have like a carnival atmosphere, with rides, car boot sales, shows,
& stalls like a fete does, & that brings people into the centers, with
the same object- Whilst you are here"Why not look around & meet our
animals"? It does help too. We end up adopting 3 times as many cats as
we would normally do. Mind you, if we had the pulling power of a pet
shop, & an in house vet, there is a very high possibility that we
would have a similar response there too.

It can only do the shop the power of good if they were seen to be
"hands on" helping out the cat protection league, that is a sure fact.
We already get dinted tins of food from them & the odd bag of litter
here & there. I am certain that if we could present this in the right
fashion to them, that they would agree to it.
Any further input would be very much appreciated please?
Thank you Sherry, that has been very enlightening :o)
Sheelagh>"o"<

Sheelagh >o
September 2nd 07, 01:20 PM
On 2 Sep, 08:57, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> [...]
> from our local Alley Cats Allies. Kittens and adoptable cats are fostered
> first to socialize them, then are available from Adopt-a-Thons that are held
> twice a month through either PetSmart and PetSense. Adoptive "parents" sign
> an agreement to return the cats if they are unable to keep them, and they
> agree not to have them declawed. All cats are spay/neutered and
> vetted/innoculated *before* adoption. That's how I became a "sponsor mom"
> to two kittens this summer -- I did not adopt or foster them, but I paid for
> their veterinary bills so they could be fostered and then placed through the
> Adopt-a-Thons. Carmen was quickly adopted, but Chelsea has not yet been
> adopted. I wish they could have been adopted as a pair, but Carmen is in a
> home where she is already "queen of the household," and Chelsea will be
> fostered until an adoptive home can be found.

Oh that is really nice Mary. I'm sorry that they couldn't be homed
together too. It's a shame, but better one is homed than neither for
waiting for a home that might come along. This sponsoring sounds like
the ideal Christmas gift for the mother who has everything she ever
wanted (within reason that is!!)....

If you read my reply to sherry, you will note that I did mean to say
adopt, rather than buy. It is an excellent idea, so I am asking if
anyone knows of any stumbling block that we might come across, please
do feel free to point it out? The more prepared we are when presenting
our case, the easier it will be for us to get them to agree with us.
As far as I am aware, there is no law preventing adoptions in shop, so
as long as we can get round that obstacle, things should go in our
favour.

We also have similar adoption schemes to the one that you describe. We
find that children are the most generous believe it or not. They make
a covenant to donate x amount every month from their accounts, & we
send them letters from the cats & up to date photos every quarter as
well. The wonderful thing is, that the kids write back to their chosen
cat's. it's really sweet. I have just volunteered to respond to
letters recently. I never had the confidence until now to try & give
it a go, but I figure with a spell checker, & a few kids to point out
my bad grammar, I should be able to to this without too many hitches,
lol :o)

Thank you for your story Mary & for the pointers, guides &
explanations as well. They really are helpful
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Lesley
September 2nd 07, 01:42 PM
On 1 Sep, 22:15, "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:
The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we
don't
> have
> anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
> birds,
> rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
> dogs, cats,
> puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
> puppies,

A place not so far from where I live calls itself something like "East
End Puppies" and according to the signs (I only go past when its
closed) sells puppies and kittens and a year or so ago, a friend was
telling me about a local pet shop that had kittens in its windows for
sale so it does go on but I don't think it's that common. Indeed at
least one or two local petshops refuse to sell any live animals at
all. The one I use is happy to put up cards from people with animals
needing homes and to act as a contact between would-be cat slaves and
the local rescue but refuses to sell any live animal
including fish (he refers people to a local aquarium shop), which is
one reason I use the place

In London we don't have "pets At Home" (is that it?) or anything like
that, I think there's one in Romford, which is quite a way away (It
was there the last time I was there but since mum died I really don't
have any reason to go back there so that must have been a few years
ago). I gather they're cheap but if you don't drive how do you get
half a ton of cat litter back? A cab would completely eradicate any
savings

Still if you have such a place locally I think it would be an
excellent idea to organise adoptions- anything that helps cats find
their forever homes is a good idea

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Sheelagh >o
September 2nd 07, 02:22 PM
On 2 Sep, 13:42, Lesley > wrote:
> On 1 Sep, 22:15, "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:
> The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we
> don't
>
> > have
> > anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
> > birds,
> > rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
> > dogs, cats,
> > puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
> > puppies,
>
> A place not so far from where I live calls itself something like "East
> End Puppies" and according to the signs (I only go past when its
> closed) sells puppies and kittens and a year or so ago, a friend was
> telling me about a local pet shop that had kittens in its windows for
> sale so it does go on but I don't think it's that common. Indeed at
> least one or two local petshops refuse to sell any live animals at
> all. The one I use is happy to put up cards from people with animals
> needing homes and to act as a contact between would-be cat slaves and
> the local rescue but refuses to sell any live animal
> including fish (he refers people to a local aquarium shop), which is
> one reason I use the place
>
> In London we don't have "pets At Home" (is that it?) or anything like
> that, I think there's one in Romford, which is quite a way away (It
> was there the last time I was there but since mum died I really don't
> have any reason to go back there so that must have been a few years
> ago). I gather they're cheap but if you don't drive how do you get
> half a ton of cat litter back? A cab would completely eradicate any
> savings
>
> Still if you have such a place locally I think it would be an
> excellent idea to organise adoptions- anything that helps cats find
> their forever homes is a good idea
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

<Big Grin>
Hi Lesley,
> A place not so far from where I live calls itself something like "East
> End Puppies" and according to the signs (I only go past when its
> closed) sells puppies and kittens and a year or so ago, a friend was
> telling me about a local pet shop that had kittens in its windows for
> sale so it does go on but I don't think it's that common. Indeed at
> least one or two local petshops refuse to sell any live animals at
> all. The one I use is happy to put up cards from people with animals
> needing homes and to act as a contact between would-be cat slaves and
> the local rescue but refuses to sell any live animal
> including fish (he refers people to a local aquarium shop), which is
> one reason I use the place

Amazing, I thought they had died out & gone away. I suppose there must
be some licenses that have to be approved before they can keep live
pets, & the possibilities are that the hassle Is not worth the
inconvenience to most retailers in pet supplies. Imagine the walking,
cleaning-out & 365 / 7/ 24hour care they require on Christmas morning
ect. I would imagine that is the basis for the reason. Nice to know
that there are one or two still around though. I can remember coming
back to the UK on Holiday, & one of my best treats used to be visiting
the pet shop, so that I could cuddle the kittens. It was a total
"Must", every holiday, Lol...

> In London we don't have "pets At Home" (is that it?) or anything like
> that, I think there's one in Romford, which is quite a way away (It
> was there the last time I was there but since mum died I really don't
> have any reason to go back there so that must have been a few years
> ago). I gather they're cheap but if you don't drive how do you get
> half a ton of cat litter back? A cab would completely eradicate any
> savings

I'll let you into a little secret Lesley...I go up the road to a local
farmer who stocks whatever food I want, including [email protected] kitten
food, cheaper than they can sell it to me direct. I very much support
local pet shops. I see them dropping like flies because of the new
superstores, & there is nothing that they seem to be able to do to
compete. Having said that, you don't get the kind of service in a
superstore that you normally get in a local pet shop, do you? I do
admit that I go to them for industrial loads of cat litter though. You
can imagine how much we get through with up to 12 cats & kittens @ a
time. can't you?!!! I drive, so it isn't so bad. I either take a son
to get them off the shelves for me, or I find a nice assistant playing
with food labels, & put them to work filling my industrial trolley
load of industrial cat litter, then I get them to load the car up too.
Excellent! What ore could I possibly expect? :o)

> Still if you have such a place locally I think it would be an
> excellent idea to organise adoptions- anything that helps cats find
> their forever homes is a good idea

I have to agree with you there. I find that it doesn't matter when I
go there, there are always @ least about 50 people in store every
single time, so the pulling potential is there. With a vet in store
too, there are also caring cat slaves who attend the shop as well. If
you said only half of them looked @ the cats & kittens, & a quarter of
them adopted, that would mean up to & possibly over 10 homes a week.
That would be excellent. Minimum age for kittens is 14 weeks, because
they can't have thier second jabs done until then..We also have a
high rate of kittens and mother packages. Mind you, by 14 weeks old,
Mummy is quite pleased to see Tiddles & Tinkerbell on their way off in
the world without her, Lol...
I understand how they must feel :o)

(Don't forget that the summer break is nearly over & there are 4kids
still @ home here- well, that is my excuse anyway!!)
I have already called my coordinator to put the idea to her, & she is
ringing head office to ask permission to ask if we might take part in
a similar scheme to our friends across the pond- So, ALL Thoughts
welcomed.

I haven't spoken to you for some time, we were wondering if you are in
the new place, whether you managed to hold onto your old place, or
whether you had to move in the end, & also how Dave is doing too?
Hope all is well with you both & the moggies too of course!
<sending head buts & leg weaves from ours to yours>
Best Wishes Lesley,
Sheelagh >"o"<

MaryL
September 2nd 07, 02:37 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> as long as we can get round that obstacle, things should go in our
> favour.
>
> We also have similar adoption schemes to the one that you describe. We
> find that children are the most generous believe it or not. They make
> a covenant to donate x amount every month from their accounts, & we
> send them letters from the cats & up to date photos every quarter as
> well. The wonderful thing is, that the kids write back to their chosen
> cat's. it's really sweet. I have just volunteered to respond to
> letters recently. I never had the confidence until now to try & give
> it a go, but I figure with a spell checker, & a few kids to point out
> my bad grammar, I should be able to to this without too many hitches,
> lol :o)
>
> Thank you for your story Mary & for the pointers, guides &
> explanations as well. They really are helpful

I don't know of any disadvantages (assuming you check out legal
arrangements/restrictions, as you stated). In fact, a good way for you to
present the idea to a pet supply store is to point out that there is
actually a financial benefit to them. We advertise our Adopt-a-Thons
through e-mail, flyers, etc., and they bring in a sizable number of
people -- including people who just want to look instead of adopt. Those
same people then wander around the store and often make a number of
purchases.

It is important for you to be well organized. Each cat or kitten should be
brought in a separate carrier, except for those that are normally kept
together. Our local rescue group has portable wire cages that are used for
this purpose instead of the traditional carriers so people can get a good
look at all of the cats. All cats and kittens brought in must be vetted and
innoculated *before* bringing them to the Adopt-a-Thons -- you don't want to
take any chances of spreading disease. They also must be socialized in a
foster home first -- you also don't want any scratches or bites. We always
have several people from the local rescue group on hand and bring chairs for
them to sit in. Each of them will have a kitten or two out of the cage and
in their laps if there is not too much activity going on, and this gives
prospective "parents" an opportunity to pet and cuddle with the cats. That
is a very good way to attact attention -- but they *must* be very calm cats
or kittens because we *also* do not want to take any risk that the cat will
become frightened and try to run away. It would be a good idea to place the
cats in a harness with lead when they are out of the carriers.

We *never* simply send a cat home from the Adopt-a-Thon, and we also do not
make a definitive decision regarding the question of whether we will approve
the adoption. Instead, we have paperwork available, conduct an informal
discussion with questions about experience and how the person intends to
care for his or her new furbaby, and a potential adopter can place a
temporary "hold" on a specific pet (or pets). The paperwork includes
references (especially from vets). We do a preliminary assessment of
suitability, later check all references, and then do a more complete
assessment later in the home of the foster parents when all parties can be
brought together in a more normal atmosphere. We have had a great deal of
success, but it is not intended as an "instant" process -- we want good
homes, not future tragedies.

MaryL

MaryL
September 2nd 07, 02:50 PM
. ..

> [...]
> are out of the carriers.
>
> We *never* simply send a cat home from the Adopt-a-Thon, and we also do
> not make a definitive decision regarding the question of whether we will
> approve the adoption. Instead, we have paperwork available, conduct an
> informal discussion with questions about experience and how the person
> intends to care for his or her new furbaby, and a potential adopter can
> place a temporary "hold" on a specific pet (or pets). The paperwork
> includes references (especially from vets). We do a preliminary
> assessment of suitability, later check all references, and then do a more
> complete assessment later in the home of the foster parents when all
> parties can be brought together in a more normal atmosphere. We have had
> a great deal of success, but it is not intended as an "instant" process --
> we want good homes, not future tragedies.

One final point: It is *very* important to *charge* a minimal amount for
expenses (vetting and boarding). The amount charged usually does cover the
actual expenses, but it is important (1) to discourage those who will not
provide necessary care for their new furbabies and (2) to provide a
continuing source of income to rescue still others. At least in the US,
there is another reason -- some people would adopt these little ones to be
used for other larger animals. That won't happen if an adequate fee is
assessed (but this is an adoption fee and not selling, as I said earlier,
because actual costs are considerably higher). On a related note, I only
paid $25.00 to the shelter when I adopted Duffy. That's because they had a
standard fee of $75.00, but Duffy had previously been neutered an adopted
(then returned -- an idiotic decision). I have often told people that that
is the best $25.00 "investment" I could ever have made! Duffy is so
wonderful that I later sent checks to the shelter in his honor.

MaryL

CatNipped
September 2nd 07, 09:40 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
> are
> involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
> assuming
> that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
> Sundays?
> How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
> put up
> their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
> Also, how
> do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
> pick
> some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
> question.)
>
> The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
> have
> anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
> birds,
> rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
> dogs, cats,
> puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
> puppies,
> it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
> them
> through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
> can
> get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
> me.
>
> I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
> Any Brits know this one?
>
> I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
> wondered what it entails?
> ( adopting one from Petsmart?)
> I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
> of the
> idea too?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

Our PetsMart allows a no-kill shelter group to operate in their store. They
do *NOT* "sell" cats or dogs. They do charge about $85 per cat and $95 per
dog, but this is to cover the cost of spaying and neutering and the initial
vaccinations. SunMart, the no-kill that operates out of my local PetsMart
doesn't even have their own building, they're just a group of concerned
animal lovers and in between "showing" the animals at PetsMart, they foster
them with volunteers.

I would hesitate to adopt from them again, though, because the few times
that I have the cats/kittens I adopted had pretty severe health problems and
one had a very bad behavior problem. It cost me quite a bit to get "Da
Boyz" healthy (and they'll still battle the herpes virus their entire lives,
but I'm hoping a maintenance dose of L-Lysine will keep them from breaking
out or getting another URI).

I think the local shelter is not allowed to adopt out sick animals, but then
again, they probably euthanize those who are sick, so that's not saying much
for them. On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are
for sure "saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a
limited period before euthanizing them.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
September 2nd 07, 10:03 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are for sure
> "saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a limited
> period before euthanizing them.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

That's one of the reasons I am so incredibly grateful to the shelter where I
adopted Duffy. Their policy is to keep an animal for "up to 14 days," but
they had kept Duffy for *several months.* I hate to think of him in a cage
for that long, but they clearly were doing all in their power to find a home
for him. He is the most loving, delightful cat and I will be forever
grateful that he came into my life. I send them checks now and then, but
that does not even begin to repay them for saving Duffy's life.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Sherry
September 3rd 07, 04:46 AM
On Sep 2, 7:06 am, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> [...]
> & stalls like a fete does, & that brings people into the centers, with
> the same object- Whilst you are here"Why not look around & meet our
> animals"? It does help too. We end up adopting 3 times as many cats as
> we would normally do. Mind you, if we had the pulling power of a pet
> shop, & an in house vet, there is a very high possibility that we
> would have a similar response there too.
>
> It can only do the shop the power of good if they were seen to be
> "hands on" helping out the cat protection league, that is a sure fact.
> We already get dinted tins of food from them & the odd bag of litter
> here & there. I am certain that if we could present this in the right
> fashion to them, that they would agree to it.
> Any further input would be very much appreciated please?
> Thank you Sherry, that has been very enlightening :o)

Good luck! I think it is a wonderful project for you, wish you all the
success with it.
We don't have a Petsmart locally (it's a 50 mile drive for us)...so
what we do occasionally
is hold an "Adopt-a-Thon" at the local farm/ranch supply store. They
sell livestock, farm, pet supplies.
We've found that's a good place to home the larger breed dogs, as a
lot of rural people shop there.
The store always welcomes us. They even offer a 10% discount for new
adoptors to buy their
food, bedding, toys there. It's a good deal for *them* as well as us.
They don't have space or cages for us to leave animals during the
week. So we made up a looseleaf
notebook with photos and bios of the dogs and cats available at the
shelter, and they leave it on the counter.
Those pictures have actually brought a lot of people into the shelter
to look.

Sherry

Sherry

Sheelagh >o
September 3rd 07, 05:54 PM
On 2 Sep, 22:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

> > On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are for sure
> > "saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a limited
> > period before euthanizing them.
>
> > --
>
> > Hugs,
>
> > CatNipped
>
> That's one of the reasons I am so incredibly grateful to the shelter where I
> adopted Duffy. Their policy is to keep an animal for "up to 14 days," but
> they had kept Duffy for *several months.* I hate to think of him in a cage
> for that long, but they clearly were doing all in their power to find a home
> for him. He is the most loving, delightful cat and I will be forever
> grateful that he came into my life. I send them checks now and then, but
> that does not even begin to repay them for saving Duffy's life.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
> Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

What a wonderful shelter Mary. If only all of them were able to do
that for their residents. No wonder you think so highly of them &
support them so well. I think I would too if I were you too. Duffy is
a really speacial cat, isn't he?
I have often looked @ Duffy & wondered what his parentage might be. He
looks very much like a Ragdoll, British blue cross, with the blue
eye's wonderful coat markings. One question that I have always
wondered but never thought to ask @ the time, is, how old do you think
Duffy is?

I must also stress @ this point (because we all know that the Fur
Balls read the screens whilst we don't attend them..!!), that Holly is
also ever so pretty with her lovely silky smooth black coat, her
caring manner with Duffy & her superb eye colouring too. She is just
as wonderful as Duffy is any day as well ;o)
Sheelagh>"o"<

MaryL
September 3rd 07, 06:24 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 2 Sep, 22:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

>> > On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are for
>> > sure
>> > "saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a
>> > limited
>> > period before euthanizing them.
>>
>> > --
>>
>> > Hugs,
>>
>> > CatNipped
>>
>> That's one of the reasons I am so incredibly grateful to the shelter
>> where I
>> adopted Duffy. Their policy is to keep an animal for "up to 14 days,"
>> but
>> they had kept Duffy for *several months.* I hate to think of him in a
>> cage
>> for that long, but they clearly were doing all in their power to find a
>> home
>> for him. He is the most loving, delightful cat and I will be forever
>> grateful that he came into my life. I send them checks now and then, but
>> that does not even begin to repay them for saving Duffy's life.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>> Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
>> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
>> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
>> Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7
>
> What a wonderful shelter Mary. If only all of them were able to do
> that for their residents. No wonder you think so highly of them &
> support them so well. I think I would too if I were you too. Duffy is
> a really speacial cat, isn't he?
> I have often looked @ Duffy & wondered what his parentage might be. He
> looks very much like a Ragdoll, British blue cross, with the blue
> eye's wonderful coat markings. One question that I have always
> wondered but never thought to ask @ the time, is, how old do you think
> Duffy is?
>
> I must also stress @ this point (because we all know that the Fur
> Balls read the screens whilst we don't attend them..!!), that Holly is
> also ever so pretty with her lovely silky smooth black coat, her
> caring manner with Duffy & her superb eye colouring too. She is just
> as wonderful as Duffy is any day as well ;o)
> Sheelagh>"o"<

You are absolutely correct about Holly. I'm afraid I often overlook her
when I post to this group because this NG is "health+behav," so I tend to
emphasize Duffy because he is blind and has been so remarkable in living
without sight. But Holly is truly a wonderful cat. She is my little
shadow -- everywhere I go, Holly goes. Everyone I know says she is clearly
a "one person cat," and there is no doubt of her love. She is also gorgeous
with her beautiful eyes and glossy black coat. I don't know anything about
Duffy's parentage, but I do have some information (although anecdotal) about
Holly's. My previous cat had died (Amber, age 16-1/2), and I was ready to
adopt another. I went to the animal shelter the day after Thanksgiving, but
they were closed. So I went to a pet supply store that sometimes had
kittens (for adoption, not for sale) but there were none at that time of the
year. I was talking to a woman who worked there and told her that I would
also be happy with an older cat, and she said, "Would you consider..." and
told me Holly's story. According to her (but an account that I never
verified), a local breeder had deliberately mixed two breeds in an attempt
to get a specific type of cat. She bred an Oriental shorthair and a
Persian. Holly was one of the results, but this "breeder" also specifically
wanted gray and Holly is black. The breeder planned to destroy Holly solely
because of her color, so the woman I was talking to talked her into letting
her take Holly and find a home for her. I adopted Holly the next day, and
she has been my true love ever since! She was born in early June, so she
was about 6 months old when I adopted her 12 years ago. Incidentally, I
asked my vet if Holly's physical characteristics would fit the story I was
given, and he said they would.

I adopted Duffy on Jan. 31, 2003. He was estimated by three different vets
to be between 3 and 5 years of age at that time. He is much smaller than a
Ragdoll, but I can see how you might see that possibility from his pictures.
He weighs about 8 pounds, and Holly is 9 pounds. He does not actually have
blue eyes. In fact, there is no iris or pupil at all. What you see in the
pictures is a blue glaze across his eyes caused by his blindness. I took
Duffy to a feline ophthalmologist at Texas A&M University College of
Veterinary Medicine shortly after I adopted him. I wanted an evaluation
because he could get along so well that I thought he might have some vision,
and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to preserve it. I
learned at that time that Duffy is completely blind. If there is any residue
of vision at all (which is "minimal to nothing"), it would only be the
merest light/dark perception. He would not even be able to see broad shapes.
His condition was described as "anterior cleavage syndrome." His eyes are
much smaller than normal. Since the eyes did not grow correctly, the eyelids
also did not grow. It seems that the eyelids grow to accommodate the eye. I
was shown a model of a cat's eye. There should be space between the iris and
the cornea, but there is no space in Duffy's eyes; the two components
adhered together. This probably happened in utero, and possibly was caused
by infection in the mother. However, Duffy does not have any infection; and
this was not caused by herpes (in Duffy) or anything similar.

Thanks for asking about Holly. These are my two furbabies, and -- just as
you said -- each is equally special, in their own particular ways.

MaryL

Wendy
September 4th 07, 01:32 PM
You're story about Holly doesn't surprise me in the least. I've gotten over
being surprised by what some people will do.

You're Duffy is an inspiration as is the story of your introducing them. You
don't know how many people have heard their story. Duffy always comes up
when we are doing an adoption of a cat/kitten with vision problems. This
last summer we adopted out a kitten with cataracts and another with
glaucoma. Both of those adoptive parents heard how well Duffy has adapted.

Our rescue group is really lucky in that we have a feline ophthalmologist
who works with us gratis. He built eyelids for one kitty and consulted on
the other two that I already mentioned. It helps to have an expert discuss
the cat's long term prognosis.

The last word I got was that all of these cats were doing really well in
their adoptive homes and their people just rave on about how sweet they are.

Wendy

> [...]
> it would only be the merest light/dark perception. He would not even be
> able to see broad shapes. His condition was described as "anterior
> cleavage syndrome." His eyes are much smaller than normal. Since the eyes
> did not grow correctly, the eyelids also did not grow. It seems that the
> eyelids grow to accommodate the eye. I was shown a model of a cat's eye.
> There should be space between the iris and the cornea, but there is no
> space in Duffy's eyes; the two components adhered together. This probably
> happened in utero, and possibly was caused by infection in the mother.
> However, Duffy does not have any infection; and this was not caused by
> herpes (in Duffy) or anything similar.
>
> Thanks for asking about Holly. These are my two furbabies, and -- just as
> you said -- each is equally special, in their own particular ways.

MaryL
September 5th 07, 12:51 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..
> You're story about Holly doesn't surprise me in the least. I've gotten
> over being surprised by what some people will do.
>
> You're Duffy is an inspiration as is the story of your introducing them.
> You don't know how many people have heard their story. Duffy always comes
> up when we are doing an adoption of a cat/kitten with vision problems.
> This last summer we adopted out a kitten with cataracts and another with
> glaucoma. Both of those adoptive parents heard how well Duffy has adapted.
>
> Our rescue group is really lucky in that we have a feline ophthalmologist
> who works with us gratis. He built eyelids for one kitty and consulted on
> the other two that I already mentioned. It helps to have an expert discuss
> the cat's long term prognosis.
>
> The last word I got was that all of these cats were doing really well in
> their adoptive homes and their people just rave on about how sweet they
> are.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. You made my day -- or maybe my week! It's always nice to
hear that our experiences have made a difference for others. Duffy was a
"poster cat" for a news article in our local newspaper some time ago. Just
as you described, we tried to use Duffy as encouragement for others to adopt
blind or visually impaired kitties.

You are really fortunate to have a feline ophthalmologist who will offer
services to your rescue group without charge. That is a specialty that is
in very short supply, so that makes his services doubly valuable.

MaryL