PDA

View Full Version : Cat Friendly Plants

Sheelagh >o
September 5th 07, 05:54 AM
Does anyone know of any really cat friendly plants please? I would
love to plant something that I know will be entirely cat friendly in
the new cats run. I know that we all live in different countries, but
some of us must live in similar climates, so if you can think of any
that are similar to the UK, I would appreciate that very much indeed.

In the older runs, I went with the safe option of grass, just so that
they could nibble on it every now & again to help with the odd
particularly nuisance hairballs because I simply wasn't sure, & didn't
want to take any chances. For decorative purposes I stuck to hanging
baskets outside the runs, just to make them look a touch less drab.

However, this time the run is going to last for the foreseeable
future, & will be big enough to accommodate all of us in there with
them as well, including all smaller tress's, bushes, & flowers as well
as foliage that we could / would be consider, so that over time, it
will become a really nice place, that makes you want to go out & share
that space with them. I seem to remember a debate on here recently,
all about cat nip, stating that one cat nip is far better than the
common old garden cat nip. If you can remember which plant that was,
I'd love to know of that one too please? I have a feeling it had
something to do with either Valerian or bergamot if I remember
correctly?

TIA to anyone who might be able to help out with this one

Sheelagh >"o"<

Petzl
September 10th 07, 04:45 AM
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:54:54 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
> wrote:

>TIA to anyone who might be able to help out with this one

rye, oats, barley wheat are a true treat for your cat

These can be bought cheaply at a "produce/farmer" shop (all belong to
"grass" family) Pet shops sell them as "Cat Grass". A $ or Euro should
buy a couple of pounds or kilo of the stuff. VERY easy to grow

Petzl
--
LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annum

Sheelagh >o
September 10th 07, 12:51 PM
On 10 Sep, 04:45, Petzl > wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:54:54 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
>
> > wrote:
> >TIA to anyone who might be able to help out with this one
>
> rye, oats, barley wheat are a true treat for your cat
>
> These can be bought cheaply at a "produce/farmer" shop (all belong to
> "grass" family) Pet shops sell them as "Cat Grass". A $ or Euro should
> buy a couple of pounds or kilo of the stuff. VERY easy to grow
>
> Petzl
> --
> LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
> Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annumhttp://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/
> Protecting our way of life from terrorist threat

Thanks, I'll add that to the shopping list too then. I have just paid
for some turf to be delivered, but there is a space of 6' x 4' that
was waiting for something appropriate to fill it with. If any other
plants come to mind, please give me another shout. Many thanks,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
September 10th 07, 03:57 PM
http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets.asp
Under "Practical Advice" see "Cats and Grass" which underscores the previous
poster's point
Under "Behaviour/Environment" see "Cats and Gardens"

Here's what not to plant
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/index.php

Sheelagh >o< wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:54:54 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annumhttp://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/
>> Protecting our way of life from terrorist threat
>
>Thanks, I'll add that to the shopping list too then. I have just paid
>for some turf to be delivered, but there is a space of 6' x 4' that
>was waiting for something appropriate to fill it with. If any other
>plants come to mind, please give me another shout. Many thanks,
>Sheelagh >"o"<

Sheelagh >o
September 10th 07, 04:24 PM
On 10 Sep, 15:57, "Catlover Medway via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets.asp
> Under "Practical Advice" see "Cats and Grass" which underscores the previous
> poster's point
> Under "Behaviour/Environment" see "Cats and Gardens"
>
> Here's what not to planthttp://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/index.php
>
> Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:54:54 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
>
> >[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
> >> Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annumhttp://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/
> >> Protecting our way of life from terrorist threat
>
> >Thanks, I'll add that to the shopping list too then. I have just paid
> >for some turf to be delivered, but there is a space of 6' x 4' that
> >was waiting for something appropriate to fill it with. If any other
> >plants come to mind, please give me another shout. Many thanks,
> >Sheelagh >"o"<

Thank you very much indeed. This is incredibly helpful & I now know
that Lillie's are not a very good idea @ all. These bits of
information are essential before laying your garden out & allowing
your cat near it.
I'm ever go grateful,
Sheelagh >"o"<