PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Fencing for cats?

Mark G.[_2_]
September 5th 07, 03:58 PM
Good morning.

Can anyone here share any experiences or advice about Invisible Fencing for
cats? My kitty insists on going outdoors, and my veterinarian has suggested
Invisible Fencing as an option to keep him in the yard and out of the
street.

Thanks
-Mark

Mark G.[_2_]
September 5th 07, 05:35 PM
"cindys" > wrote>
> And how will you prevent other animals from coming into your yard and
> attacking your cat? And how will you prevent a human from coming into your
> yard and stealing your cat or shooting him with a BB gun?

Yes, thank you. I realize that "letting cats outdoors" is a controversial
topic on this and other forums. My immediate concern is how I might minimize
my cat's risk while still allowing him to enjoy the great outdoors. He first
arrived at my home as an adult, indoor/outdoor cat, so he is quite
determined to maintain that status.

I lost my other kitty to a car several days ago, so this topic is very
important to me.

Sheelagh >o
September 5th 07, 09:01 PM
On 5 Sep, 19:39, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Mark G." > wrote in message
>
> ...> "cindys" > wrote>
> >> And how will you prevent other animals from coming into your yard and
> >> attacking your cat? And how will you prevent a human from coming into
> >> your yard and stealing your cat or shooting him with a BB gun?
>
> > Yes, thank you. I realize that "letting cats outdoors" is a controversial
> > topic on this and other forums. My immediate concern is how I might
> > minimize my cat's risk while still allowing him to enjoy the great
> > outdoors. He first arrived at my home as an adult, indoor/outdoor cat, so
> > he is quite determined to maintain that status.
>
> > I lost my other kitty to a car several days ago, so this topic is very
> > important to me.
>
> -----
> I'm sorry to hear that. If I were you, I would go for an enclosure like the
> one Sheelagh is in the process of building. We had a wonderful dog, Alvin,
> of blessed memory, who went to the bridge two years ago Thanksgiving at the
> age of 15. The reason Alvin originally became our dog (at age 3) was because
> his former owners had spent hundreds (or maybe thousands) of dollars fencing
> their yard with an invisible fence, but it wasn't holding him, and he kept
> getting out anyway. Animal Control kept bringing him home and finally
> threatened to fine the family if they had to bring the dog home one more
> time.
>
> After having spent that much money on the invisible fence, his owners
> decided they did not want to invest more money in a traditional fence, so
> they gave Alvin back to the woman who had originally adopted him out to them
> (as a puppy), and we ended up with a wonderful dog for 12 years. But the
> moral of the story is that an invisible fence is a huge investment and
> doesn't always work. Personally, I think your money would be much better
> spent on a very large enclosure because not only is it safer for your cat,
> but you would know for sure it would work.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I agree with what you say Cindy, because I have also heard similar
stories regarding invisible fencing. also, by the time we priced it
up, it worked out cheaper to make the garden cat friendly, & also
human friendly so that we could both share the same space, & enjoy
each others space too. I have given a couple of links on the other
post, just to give Mark some idea of what he could have if that is the
way that he wishes to go.
If you need further information of photos, then just let me know & I
will share more info with you.
Sheelagh >"o"<

Mark G.[_2_]
September 5th 07, 09:25 PM
"cindys" > wrote:

> I'm sorry to hear that. If I were you, I would go for an enclosure like
> the one Sheelagh is in the process of building. We had a wonderful dog,
> Alvin, of blessed memory, who went to the bridge two years ago
> Thanksgiving at the age of 15. The reason Alvin originally became our dog
> (at age 3) was because his former owners had spent hundreds (or maybe
> thousands) of dollars fencing their yard with an invisible fence, but it
> wasn't holding him, and he kept getting out anyway. Animal Control kept
> bringing him home and finally threatened to fine the family if they had to
> bring the dog home one more time.

Cindy, that is good advice. Thank you for sharing. Based on what I am
hearing (and what I had suspected) it sounds like Invisible Fencing isn't a
great solution. But my veterinarian proposed it, so I figured I owed it due
diligence.

I'll investigate options for an outdoor enclosure. It won't give Martini the
complete freedom that he enjoys as an indoor/outdoor cat, but it is
something. And of course, I can exile him to the outdoor enclosure if he is
getting the "indoor cat crazies." It might help me get his weight down too,
since he won't be able to hunt and forage.

DrLargePants
September 6th 07, 04:03 PM
> I'll investigate options for an outdoor enclosure. It won't give Martini the
> complete freedom that he enjoys as an indoor/outdoor cat, but it is
> something. And of course, I can exile him to the outdoor enclosure if he is
> getting the "indoor cat crazies." It might help me get his weight down too,
> since he won't be able to hunt and forage.

Both our cats were adult strays, and allthough it took a *lot* of
perseverance they both came to accept the indoor only rule we forced
on them. tbf one really wasn't bothered, but the other one kicked up
a fuss for a long time and still will make a mad dash for the door
occasionally. He doesn't spend all night crying to get out now
though.

I have wondered if some form outside enclosure/run might be a good
idea for them, but I think that might just start making them yearn to
be outside again.

Cat Protector
September 7th 07, 10:17 PM
Here's an idea. Why don't you keep your cat indoors?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Mark G." > wrote in message
> Good morning.
>
> Can anyone here share any experiences or advice about Invisible Fencing
> for cats? My kitty insists on going outdoors, and my veterinarian has
> suggested Invisible Fencing as an option to keep him in the yard and out
> of the street.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark

Mark G.[_2_]
September 7th 07, 11:24 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Here's an idea. Why don't you keep your cat indoors?

Go play in the litterbox like a good little troll.

Cat Protector
September 8th 07, 01:16 AM
You have got to be joking? I'm a cat lover and suggest something that every
rescue group has also suggested and you call me names. It's obvious you are
one of those people who have to be irresponsible here. Cats should be kept
indoors where they can be safe from predators, getting hit by cars,
encountering animal abusers and other dangers. Invisible fencing is also
cruel and I'm surprised any vet would recommend it.

--

"Mark G." > wrote in message
> "Cat Protector" > wrote:
>> Here's an idea. Why don't you keep your cat indoors?
>
> Go play in the litterbox like a good little troll.

Mark G.[_2_]
September 8th 07, 06:08 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote:
> You have got to be joking? I'm a cat lover and suggest something that
> every rescue group has also suggested and you call me names. It's obvious
> you are one of those people who have to be irresponsible here. Cats should
> be kept indoors where they can be safe from predators, getting hit by
> cars, encountering animal abusers and other dangers. Invisible fencing is
> also cruel and I'm surprised any vet would recommend it.

I am well aware of the "indoor vs outdoor" debate, and the terabytes of
bandwidth that have been expended on it. I did not ask whether I should keep
my cat indoors. I asked about a specific option that might give my cat more
freedom while keeping him reasonably safe. So when you posted a one-line
response suggesting that I keep my cat indoors, I did not find that to be
helpful.

Now, based several responses that I received, I am not inclined to favor
Invisible Fencing. Instead I am researching outdoor enclosures.

Sheelagh >o
September 9th 07, 04:23 PM
On 8 Sep, 06:08, "Mark G." > wrote:
> "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> > You have got to be joking? I'm a cat lover and suggest something that
> > every rescue group has also suggested and you call me names. It's obvious
> > you are one of those people who have to be irresponsible here. Cats should
> > be kept indoors where they can be safe from predators, getting hit by
> > cars, encountering animal abusers and other dangers. Invisible fencing is
> > also cruel and I'm surprised any vet would recommend it.
>
> I am well aware of the "indoor vs outdoor" debate, and the terabytes of
> bandwidth that have been expended on it. I did not ask whether I should keep
> my cat indoors. I asked about a specific option that might give my cat more
> freedom while keeping him reasonably safe. So when you posted a one-line
> response suggesting that I keep my cat indoors, I did not find that to be
> helpful.
>
> Now, based several responses that I received, I am not inclined to favor
> Invisible Fencing. Instead I am researching outdoor enclosures.

I find it it good halfway measure.

You get to allow your cat to have a limited amount of freedom which
does wonders for your conscience, & they get to go out & experience
stuff that feels normal to the cats too. You don't even need a lot of
land to have one either! I think the most unique / unusual one I ever
saw was where a guy had made one that extended upstairs & downstairs
off his balcony!! I find the subject to be a very fast growing trend
in the UK now.

I started with a 6' x 9' with housing (inside that space-off the floor
to avoid rain & damp, with a cat-flap & ladder) so that there is
somewhere to retreat to if the weather turns whilst your out, or it
gets a bit chilly. I think some people make the mistake of thinking
that perhaps 6' x 9', is not really enough for a cat, but we tend to
make the mistake of thinking in size from a human sized point of view
if you see what I mean?

It's not ideal for everyone. However, to date, I think it is the best
answer I can, find.
I would be really interested to hear what you did in the end, if you
don't mind of course, please Mark?
TIA,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Mark G.[_2_]
September 10th 07, 05:33 AM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:

> I would be really interested to hear what you did in the end, if you
> don't mind of course, please Mark?

Yes, if I build an enclosure then I will definitely share photos with this
group.

Thanks for the helpful links that you posted.

-Mark