PDA

View Full Version : Serious Constipation

DrLargePants
September 5th 07, 04:06 PM
Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
(googlegroups link here: http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
tonight).

We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
be working at all.

This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?

Here he is anyway:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=229597&l=e38bd&id=627125965

Gail
September 5th 07, 04:40 PM
It may be megacolon. Do you feed canned food only? Also, you can add pumpkin
(no spices) in the food.
Gail
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here: http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
> However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
> to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
> was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
> than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
> tonight).
>
> We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
> product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
> the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
> be working at all.
>
> This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
> one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
> Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?
>

> Here he is anyway:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=229597&l=e38bd&id=627125965

DrLargePants
September 5th 07, 08:33 PM
> We have friends who in addition to the lactulose sprinkle BeneFiber on the
> cat food twice a day. It helps a lot. The cat hasn't had a problem in
> months. I understand this wasn't the main part of your question, but if it
> could be of some help...

Thats interesting as I presume that its a fibre suplement. He's
actually been perscribed a low fibre food, and I thought (in humans
anyway) that high fibre was good in this sort of thing

DrLargePants
September 5th 07, 08:35 PM
> How old is the furball?
>
> How long has he had this?
>
> If he has had since he was young. There is a parasite that young cats gets
> I forgot the name but it won't show up in routine testing it can cause
> diarrhea and problems in the that area

No idea how old he is as he was a stray, but I'd guess about 4 years
old. He didn't have it when we first had him, but he's had this now
for over a year.

DrLargePants
September 5th 07, 08:36 PM
> It may be megacolon. Do you feed canned food only? Also, you can add pumpkin
> (no spices) in the food.

Canned food only (low fibre). Going to try him on liquid parafin when
he's back.

DrLargePants
September 5th 07, 08:37 PM
> He is totally beautiful!
> Best regards,

Thanks! He's the sweetest cat ever, really bonds with me in a big
way.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 5th 07, 08:52 PM
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here: http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
> However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
> to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
> was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
> than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
> tonight).
>
> We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
> product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
> the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
> be working at all.
>
> This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
> one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
> Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?

I've never had a cat with this as an ongoing problem. When my 17-yr-old got
constipated after a surgery the vet had me give her plain mineral oil.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Here he is anyway:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=229597&l=e38bd&id=627125965

Rhonda[_3_]
September 6th 07, 06:33 AM
Yes, our cat had this. Once they get to a certain point -- supplements
and other things don't seem to help.

Our cat had her colon removed after a week of daily trips to the vet.
She just could not get anything to move and time was running out. The
vet sent us to a great surgeon at an emergency clinic.

The surgeon had done lots of these surgeries and had never had a
problem. Sweeter did well through the surgery but ended up getting
weaker after she got home. We had to take her back in and she had
another surgery. She had developed a septic infection because some
internal stitches had come loose. The surgeon was very upset and
operated the second time for free.

Sweeter survived, and recovered quickly once the infection was
diminishing. She is doing great a year later. She is a new cat, seems to
have a new lease on life. She's playful again!

If you have the surgery, get a referral to a surgeon with lots of
experience. Our surgeon said Sweeter's colon was so bad and thin, it
actually tore when he touched it. Poor cat, she had suffered for quite
awhile apparently.

By the way, the only medication she takes now is a potassium supplement.

Good luck,

Rhonda

DrLargePants wrote:
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here: http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
> However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
> to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
> was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
> than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
> tonight).
>
> We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
> product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
> the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
> be working at all.
>
> This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
> one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
> Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?
>

> Here he is anyway:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=229597&l=e38bd&id=627125965

DrLargePants
September 6th 07, 10:06 AM
> Our cat had her colon removed after a week of daily trips to the vet.
> She just could not get anything to move and time was running out.
> The vet sent us to a great surgeon at an emergency clinic.

Did she have issues with incontinence after the procedure ?

DrLargePants
September 6th 07, 02:37 PM
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Well he's still in the vets having had an enema this AM and has not
passed anything yet. I fear the worst tbh :(

Rhonda[_3_]
September 6th 07, 04:01 PM
DrLargePants wrote:
>>Our cat had her colon removed after a week of daily trips to the vet.
>>She just could not get anything to move and time was running out.
>>The vet sent us to a great surgeon at an emergency clinic.
>
> Did she have issues with incontinence after the procedure ?

Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
we did was change to a clumping litter for her.

The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
only has occasional diarrhea.

Rhonda

DrLargePants
September 6th 07, 04:05 PM
> Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
> because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
> actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
> we did was change to a clumping litter for her.
>
> The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
> and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
> only has occasional diarrhea.

tbh I'd be glad to see him have diarrhea now! I don't think I could
cope with diarrhea 24/7 though.

Oddly enough the vet is now sugesting that he should go on a (higher)
fibre food and a different drug.

Rhonda[_3_]
September 7th 07, 06:16 AM
DrLargePants wrote:

Rhonda wrote:
>>Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
>>because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
>>actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
>>we did was change to a clumping litter for her.
>>
>>The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
>>and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
>>only has occasional diarrhea.
>
> tbh I'd be glad to see him have diarrhea now! I don't think I could
> cope with diarrhea 24/7 though.

You could cope -- it's far worse for the cat. All we have to do is use
scoopable cat litter and then it's about the same as urine in the litter
box.

> Oddly enough the vet is now sugesting that he should go on a (higher)
> fibre food and a different drug.

The problem with the fiber is that it may work well on new feces being
formed -- but the stuff already in him is probably rock hard. The body
pulls the fluid out of it. Is your cat getting sub-cu fluids to try to
hydrate it?

The only hope is really to get it hydrated and softened, and to get the
muscles of the intestine working. Sweeter's colon was so stretched that
the muscles would no longer work. I hope your cat is not at that stage yet.

Rhonda

DrLargePants
September 7th 07, 11:59 AM

> The problem with the fiber is that it may work well on new feces being
> formed -- but the stuff already in him is probably rock hard. The body
> pulls the fluid out of it. Is your cat getting sub-cu fluids to try to
> hydrate it?
>
> The only hope is really to get it hydrated and softened, and to get the
> muscles of the intestine working. Sweeter's colon was so stretched that
> the muscles would no longer work. I hope your cat is not at that stage yet.

Well he's had another enema but is off his food and hasn't passed
anything since. He was fine until a week ago as well, thats what I
don't understand

Catman 07
September 7th 07, 12:24 PM
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:06:44 -0000, DrLargePants
> wrote:

>Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
>(googlegroups link here: http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
>However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
>to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
>was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
>than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
>tonight).
>
>We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
>product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
>the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
>be working at all.

I had a BIG problem with my own constipation and megacolon. The "cure"
for me was, and is: 1/2 tsp/day of epsom salts. That is: MAGNESIUM
SULFATE! My body absorbs what it needs from the gut and leaves the
excess Mg in the gut,which holds water. Mg is absolutely necessary for
proper muscle contraction, including the digestive tract, in cats as
well as humans. In your case, the BIG question to be answered is: does
magnesium SULFATE acidify the urine?! I'm sure you are aware of the
bad name Mg has regarding FLUTD in cats. There is serious debate
around this issue. From what I understand, crystals and stones of Mg
CANNOT form in acid urine. You can probably find the answer on the web
somewhere. If I knew that MgSO4 acidified urine, I would give the
epsom salts a try to treat my male cats severe constipation. Why not?
Hopefully, someone who knows more than me can answer that. Ask your
vet.
In humans, too much epsom salts causes severe diarrhea. I started
with 1/4 tsp/d and worked up from there. Not too much and not too
little, but just right is what you're after.The way I would do it for
my cat would be to dissolve 1/4 tsp in a cup of warm water, and then
add 1/2 tsp of that liquid to my cat's canned food.
Catman

>This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
>one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
>Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?
>

>Here he is anyway:
>
>http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=229597&l=e38bd&id=627125965

DrLargePants
September 8th 07, 10:12 AM
On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants > wrote:
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Well he's back from the vets. He's totally clear now but he's not
eating any food (still drinking though). I think he's had too much
lax at the vets as he' straining to poo all the time but not passing
anything.

Hopefully he'll start eating soon. Very worried :(

Gail
September 8th 07, 04:51 PM
I would try warmed, meated baby food (without onion). I usually am able to
"jump start" my cat's appetite this way.
Gail
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants > wrote:
>> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
>> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>

> Well he's back from the vets. He's totally clear now but he's not
> eating any food (still drinking though). I think he's had too much
> lax at the vets as he' straining to poo all the time but not passing
> anything.
>
> Hopefully he'll start eating soon. Very worried :(

DrLargePants
September 10th 07, 09:14 AM
On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants > wrote:
> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Much better today, eating and drinking normally and very chirpy. Just
need to wait and see if he can pass solids normally.

Gail
September 10th 07, 01:36 PM
Great news. Keep us posted.
Gail
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants > wrote:
>> Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
>> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>

> Much better today, eating and drinking normally and very chirpy. Just
> need to wait and see if he can pass solids normally.

DrLargePants
September 15th 07, 11:37 PM
> > Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
> > (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Well he's much better now: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=281714&l=cb003&id=627125965

He seems to really dig liquid paraffin, so he's passing solids OK so
far.

Fingers crossed....