PDA

View Full Version : Varying Vets

jmc
September 7th 07, 12:22 PM
Couplea weeks ago, took Meep in for shots, and spoke to the vet about
the fur-mowing she's doing on her abdomen, down between her hind legs.

The vet was of the opinion that this may be caused by discomfort from
her cystitis, but there's no more maintenance changes to be made because
I'm already "doing everything right". She was reluctant to put Meep on
anti-inflammatories because of the possible negative effect on her
kidneys. Seems she wasn't too worried as long as Meep wasn't damaging
the skin. It's not an obsessive thing, but I catch her grooming there
once or twice a night.

Well, it's been a while, and the grass... fur... is shorter. She's
still mowing, and a week or two away from irritating the skin.

Different vet. He checks her over, and says because her bladder's
"huge", with no sign of thickening (and, I'm still "doing everything
right"), that he doesn't think the mowing is caused by cystitis
discomfort, which leaves allergies and behavioral. Gave her a
long-acting antihistamine shot, which one way or another will tell us
which that is.

So, which one is right? I'm leaning towards allergies, myself, but
mainly because after a google search I can't find many references of
over-grooming due to cystitis. Usually it's the genitals, if the cat's
uncomfortable, that gets too much attention.

So, the saga continues. Gotta watch her like a hawk (which I'm not
doing typing here), if it's allergies she should stop over-licking that
area tomorrow.

Poor kitty. She forgave me the second vet trip though, I gave her
Greenies :)

jmc

Sheelagh >o
September 7th 07, 03:07 PM
On 7 Sep, 12:22, jmc > wrote:
> Couplea weeks ago, took Meep in for shots, and spoke to the vet about
> the fur-mowing she's doing on her abdomen, down between her hind legs.
>
> The vet was of the opinion that this may be caused by discomfort from
> her cystitis, but there's no more maintenance changes to be made because
> I'm already "doing everything right". She was reluctant to put Meep on
> anti-inflammatories because of the possible negative effect on her
> kidneys. Seems she wasn't too worried as long as Meep wasn't damaging
> the skin. It's not an obsessive thing, but I catch her grooming there
> once or twice a night.
>
> Well, it's been a while, and the grass... fur... is shorter. She's
> still mowing, and a week or two away from irritating the skin.
>
> Different vet. He checks her over, and says because her bladder's
> "huge", with no sign of thickening (and, I'm still "doing everything
> right"), that he doesn't think the mowing is caused by cystitis
> discomfort, which leaves allergies and behavioral. Gave her a
> long-acting antihistamine shot, which one way or another will tell us
> which that is.
>
> So, which one is right? I'm leaning towards allergies, myself, but
> mainly because after a google search I can't find many references of
> over-grooming due to cystitis. Usually it's the genitals, if the cat's
> uncomfortable, that gets too much attention.
>
> So, the saga continues. Gotta watch her like a hawk (which I'm not
> doing typing here), if it's allergies she should stop over-licking that
> area tomorrow.
>
> Poor kitty. She forgave me the second vet trip though, I gave her
> Greenies :)
>
> jmc

Sorry Jodie, But I can't help you with the cystitis bit because none
of our lot has ever suffered with that problem thus far. I know that
this is not the answer, or even a long term solution, but, Would it
help to put an elizabethan collar on her, just to stop her nibbling in
the short term?
Sheelagh >"o"<

"jmc" > wrote
> So, which one is right? I'm leaning towards allergies, myself, but mainly
> because after a google search I can't find many references of
> over-grooming due to cystitis. Usually it's the genitals, if the cat's
> uncomfortable, that gets too much attention.

My Gracie did this. She gets a Depo Medrol shot for allergies and
asthma 2-3 times a year, but I partially attribute her present furry belly
to the fact that I eliminated some stress. (Our other cat had decided she
wanted to be near me and was coming up into Gracie's "turf," even
took up sleeping on the guest room bed in what Gracie clearly thinks
of as *her room.* I got her to stop by visiting more with her downstairs
in her usual territory, and Gracie stopped overgrooming.)

That said, I do think it is a combination. With EGC and food allergies,
she is an itchy little cat, and when she gets nervous for any reason over
an extended period, she grooms her fur away. At its worst, she had
licked the fur off of one of her sides until she was nearly bald there.

When it is time for a Depo shot, Gracie gets little scabs on her ears
from scratching.