PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVICE PLEASE

September 7th 07, 09:48 PM
I am considering moving into a room share situation. I have two
medium sized cats. One has been around dogs and is fine and the other
is a question mark. The house I'm looking at has a 4 and 1/2 month
old Rottweiler Terrier mix. The owner is training him well but I am
just wondering WHAT THE CHANCES ARE that it will attack my cats and/or
never get along with them and visa versa.

PLEASE HELP! I have to tell them today if I'm taking the room.

Thanks!

Happy

MaryL
September 8th 07, 12:23 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am considering moving into a room share situation. I have two
> medium sized cats. One has been around dogs and is fine and the other
> is a question mark. The house I'm looking at has a 4 and 1/2 month
> old Rottweiler Terrier mix. The owner is training him well but I am
> just wondering WHAT THE CHANCES ARE that it will attack my cats and/or
> never get along with them and visa versa.
>
> PLEASE HELP! I have to tell them today if I'm taking the room.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Happy

Has the dog been around cats? If so, how did he act. What do you actually
mean when you say the owner is "training him well"? That can cover many
different types of training.

As for me...I would not want to move into a house under these circumstances
because it sounds like you really don't know how the dog will react, and
possibly not how your cats will react. Since you only mentioned taking "a
room," that also raises some possible issues.

MaryL

Rene S.
September 11th 07, 09:48 PM
> Has the dog been around cats? If so, how did he act. What do you actually
> mean when you say the owner is "training him well"? That can cover many
> different types of training.
>
> As for me...I would not want to move into a house under these circumstances
> because it sounds like you really don't know how the dog will react, and
> possibly not how your cats will react. Since you only mentioned taking "a
> room," that also raises some possible issues.
>
> MaryL

I have to agree with Mary. Have you asked the owner about the dog's
history/temperment/etc.? Since he's young it's possible he'll adjust
to cats easily, but it could be stressful for your one cat if she/he
hasn't been around dogs before. I'd ask a lot of questions before
committing to this.

IBen Getiner
September 12th 07, 04:51 AM
On Sep 7, 4:48?pm, wrote:
> I am considering moving into a room share situation. I have two
> medium sized cats. One has been around dogs and is fine and the other
> is a question mark. The house I'm looking at has a 4 and 1/2 month
> old Rottweiler Terrier mix. The owner is training him well but I am
> just wondering WHAT THE CHANCES ARE that it will attack my cats and/or
> never get along with them and visa versa.
>
> PLEASE HELP! I have to tell them today if I'm taking the room.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Happy

Rots are an unpredictable breed with a quarrelsome disposition and a
ungovernable temper. I see trouble in the cards for you in the near
future. My advice is to simply get rid of the cats. You can always get
new ones later. Just don't expect your new boyfriend to carry the load
by getting rid of his dogs. You're the newcomer.

IBen