PDA

View Full Version : They won't wear collars.

Mark Healey[_2_]
September 9th 07, 08:26 AM
Recently a coworker had one of her cats escape. Fortunately she came
back. This got me worried about mine.

They are indoor cats. I've previously tried to get them to wear collars
and have tried the all stretchy kind and the kind with an elastic strip
and they took them off. I even resorted to a straight buckle collar with
no breakaway feature. They even managed to take those off within a day.

I thought of getting them chipped but from what I've read that doesn't do
any good when a regular person finds them.

Any suggestions?

--
Mark Healey

cybercat
September 9th 07, 08:57 AM
"Mark Healey" > wrote in message

> Recently a coworker had one of her cats escape. Fortunately she came
> back. This got me worried about mine.
>
> They are indoor cats. I've previously tried to get them to wear collars
> and have tried the all stretchy kind and the kind with an elastic strip
> and they took them off. I even resorted to a straight buckle collar with
> no breakaway feature. They even managed to take those off within a day.
>
> I thought of getting them chipped but from what I've read that doesn't do
> any good when a regular person finds them.
>
> Any suggestions?

Get them chipped, and keep them in. You're up to the task.

MaryL
September 9th 07, 10:39 AM
"Mark Healey" > wrote in message

> Recently a coworker had one of her cats escape. Fortunately she came
> back. This got me worried about mine.
>
> They are indoor cats. I've previously tried to get them to wear collars
> and have tried the all stretchy kind and the kind with an elastic strip
> and they took them off. I even resorted to a straight buckle collar with
> no breakaway feature. They even managed to take those off within a day.
>
> I thought of getting them chipped but from what I've read that doesn't do
> any good when a regular person finds them.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> Mark Healey

*Don't* put collars on them. You're actually fortunate that your cats have
refused to wear them because they can be dangerous. If your cats were to
get outdoors while wearing a collar -- especially the ones without a
breakaway feature -- they could get caught on something and possibly even
choke. They simply are not a good idea!

MaryL

blkcatgal
September 9th 07, 11:10 PM
Just read an article regarding studies and research done that suggests
microchipping may cause malignant sarcoma tumors.

S.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Mark Healey" > wrote in message
>>
>> Recently a coworker had one of her cats escape. Fortunately she came
>> back. This got me worried about mine.
>>
>> They are indoor cats. I've previously tried to get them to wear collars
>> and have tried the all stretchy kind and the kind with an elastic strip
>> and they took them off. I even resorted to a straight buckle collar with
>> no breakaway feature. They even managed to take those off within a day.
>>
>> I thought of getting them chipped but from what I've read that doesn't do
>> any good when a regular person finds them.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Get them chipped, and keep them in. You're up to the task.

MaryL
September 10th 07, 01:15 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Just read an article regarding studies and research done that suggests
> microchipping may cause malignant sarcoma tumors.
>
> S.

My vet discussed this the last time I saw him. He said he didn't have much
information yet, but said there has been some disturbing data. He felt it
is too early to act on preliminary information, but he has concerns about
it.

MaryL

Cheryl
September 10th 07, 01:51 AM
On Sun 09 Sep 2007 08:15:36p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Just read an article regarding studies and research done that
>> suggests microchipping may cause malignant sarcoma tumors.
>>
>> S.
>>

> My vet discussed this the last time I saw him. He said he
> didn't have much information yet, but said there has been some
> disturbing data. He felt it is too early to act on preliminary
> information, but he has concerns about it.
>
> MaryL

It just seems we can't win. *sigh* I haven't heard of any of this.
I just got all of my cats chipped last year. I'm going to bring
this up with her and see if she has any info.

--
Cheryl

MaryL
September 10th 07, 02:15 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 09 Sep 2007 08:15:36p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>

>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Just read an article regarding studies and research done that
>>> suggests microchipping may cause malignant sarcoma tumors.
>>>
>>> S.
>>>

>> My vet discussed this the last time I saw him. He said he
>> didn't have much information yet, but said there has been some
>> disturbing data. He felt it is too early to act on preliminary
>> information, but he has concerns about it.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> It just seems we can't win. *sigh* I haven't heard of any of this.
> I just got all of my cats chipped last year. I'm going to bring
> this up with her and see if she has any info.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Aside from possible health issues, another irony is that the technology has
not been "standardized" in the U.S. Some areas use one process, and other
areas use another (actually, I think there are more than two) -- and
"readers" cannot scan microchips that use the "wrong" technology. I have
probably used an incorrect description, but it boils down to the fact that
even a pet that has been microchipped my not be detected if ther wrong
scanner is use. There is just no logic (or "justice") at all to permitting
something like this to continue.

MaryL

mlbriggs
September 10th 07, 06:10 AM
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 07:26:12 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

> Recently a coworker had one of her cats escape. Fortunately she came
> back. This got me worried about mine.
>
> They are indoor cats. I've previously tried to get them to wear collars
> and have tried the all stretchy kind and the kind with an elastic strip
> and they took them off. I even resorted to a straight buckle collar with
> no breakaway feature. They even managed to take those off within a day.
>
> I thought of getting them chipped but from what I've read that doesn't do
> any good when a regular person finds them.
>
> Any suggestions?

When Princess (RB16) found me, she refused a collar. After several failed
attempts, I held her on my lap, looked into her face and explained that
the collar meant she was "MINE" and that I loved her and it would help
her be safe. I then was able to put the collar on her without her
protesting . She wore it ever after.

I did the very same thing with TuTu when I adopted her and it worked! It
has been 10 years and she doesn't mind the collar at all. Try it!. MLB

Fat Freddy
September 10th 07, 05:20 PM
Our two older cats have been wearing collars with address tags for
years. They don't even seem to be aware of them. However, if I get lazy
when it comes time for their flea medication and drag the collars off
over their face instead of unbuckling them, they complain about that.

Our two little guys just got big enough for collars and tags. The first
time I put them on they went crazy and tried to bite them off, lick
them off, and pull them off with their claws, but they couldn't remove
them.

I only left them on for about ten minutes the first time. I couldn't
stand to see the poor kitties so distressed. The next day I put them on
and they struggled with them again, but not so violently this time. I
left them on for about a half hour.

The next day I put them on again and they didn't pay too much
attention. They halfheartedly tried to get them off for a couple of
minutes but soon got interested in something else.

They have been wearing their collars and tags for a couple of days now
and don't even seem to be aware of them anymore.

I never liked the breakaway collars. Some of them released too easy and
some required too much force. I like the ones made out of stretchy
material. They stretch bigger than the ones with the elastic loop.

Our big guys have always worn these:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=60A66144-B8C6-45ED-8F90-79CD50514E72,

just tried these on the little guys:

http://www.campbellpet.com/product.aspx?func=view&prodID=87

The Campbell ones are lighter weight material and are stretchier that
the Valley Vet ones, but they are wider.

I get their tags here:

http://www.boomerangtags.com/

I have used both the mini-stainless steel and the plastic ones. They
are both excellent.