PDA

View Full Version : Update on Eli

Gary Woods
September 9th 07, 06:03 PM
There was one query last week, which I can't find.

Eli is the 14 year old black cat who suddenly stopped eating.
Vet cleaned teeth, did all manner of blood tests and X-rays.
He's in good humor, affectionate, but just won't eat. S.O. gets him to lap
up a little Boost, and sometimes lick some beef baby food, but he's still
losing weight. This started while we were away for a week and he and a
small dog were on the care of a pet sitter, who has cared for him before
(the dog and S.O. are fairly new).
We're pretty much out of options, unless somebody knows of a cat whisperer
in upstate NY....

Thanks,

Stacey Weinberger
September 9th 07, 07:34 PM
I know of one in PA. Her name is Anita Curtis. She has a website:
www.anitacurtis.com. She was recommended to me by a friend in PA who has
used her. I called her when one of my cats stopped eating as well.

Good luck with Eli!

Stacey

"Gary Woods" > wrote in message
> There was one query last week, which I can't find.
>
> Eli is the 14 year old black cat who suddenly stopped eating.
> Vet cleaned teeth, did all manner of blood tests and X-rays.
> He's in good humor, affectionate, but just won't eat. S.O. gets him to
> lap
> up a little Boost, and sometimes lick some beef baby food, but he's still
> losing weight. This started while we were away for a week and he and a
> small dog were on the care of a pet sitter, who has cared for him before
> (the dog and S.O. are fairly new).
> We're pretty much out of options, unless somebody knows of a cat whisperer
> in upstate NY....

Has the vet given him subcutaneous fluids, or have you? When my 20-year-old
stopped eating, the vet said there's a vicious cycle--they lose their
appetite due
to an upset or food change, then get dehydrated and feel too bad to eat and
the
situation just compounds. (Your absence for a week was enough to start it.)

Point is, once they rehydrate with subcutaneous fluids, sometimes the
appetite
comes back.

Sheelagh >o
September 10th 07, 01:05 PM
On 9 Sep, 20:44, "cindys" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Gary Woods" > wrote in message
> >> There was one query last week, which I can't find.
>
> >> Eli is the 14 year old black cat who suddenly stopped eating.
> >> Vet cleaned teeth, did all manner of blood tests and X-rays.
> >> He's in good humor, affectionate, but just won't eat. S.O. gets him to
> >> lap
> >> up a little Boost, and sometimes lick some beef baby food, but he's still
> >> losing weight. This started while we were away for a week and he and a
> >> small dog were on the care of a pet sitter, who has cared for him before
> >> (the dog and S.O. are fairly new).
> >> We're pretty much out of options, unless somebody knows of a cat
> >> whisperer
> >> in upstate NY....
>
> > Has the vet given him subcutaneous fluids, or have you? When my
> > 20-year-old
> > stopped eating, the vet said there's a vicious cycle--they lose their
> > appetite due
> > to an upset or food change, then get dehydrated and feel too bad to eat
> > and the
> > situation just compounds. (Your absence for a week was enough to start
> > it.)
>
> > Point is, once they rehydrate with subcutaneous fluids, sometimes the
> > appetite
> > comes back.
>
> --------
> I would also suggest trying Pepcid 2.5 to 5 mg (maximum) once a day.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

I have tried this & found it to work in 48 hours. She couldn't stand
the stuff My, so we had to get it in as a syringe full of milk. By the
time she discovered, she had swallowed it already. Yes, we got dirty
looks for the rest if the day, but the point is that it did work.
Always worth a try!
Sheelagh >"o"<