PDA

View Full Version : Urinating problem

Dave
September 10th 07, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my cat
is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use. I
have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
have had them about 2 years now.

The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in my
living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated on the
side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new floor. It
is really frustrating me!

I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her trying
to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her scratching
against the floor and then I know what she has just done!

They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow that,
but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on the
cardboard box.

Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't know
where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or goes
outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and have
never seen this in a cat before.

I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.

Many thanks for your time,
David

Gail
September 10th 07, 04:17 PM
As the other poster said, she MUST be checked out by a vet for a urinary
tract infection firstly.
Gail
"Dave" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my
> cat is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
> domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use.
> I have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
> have had them about 2 years now.
>
> The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
> against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
> doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in
> my living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated
> on the side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new
> floor. It is really frustrating me!
>
> I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her
> trying to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her
> scratching against the floor and then I know what she has just done!
>
> They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow
> that, but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on
> the cardboard box.
>
> Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
> creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't
> know where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or
> goes outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and
> have never seen this in a cat before.
>
> I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
> David

Dave
September 10th 07, 04:26 PM
Hi Matthew, many thanks. Please see my replies below:

> Is she neutered? Is the other?
Both are neutered

> Have you seen a vet lately and asked their advice? Also to rule out
> possible medical problems. -> Medial problems have to be ruled out before
> behavioral problems can be addressed
I haven't.. pitiful excuse but i'm so busy.. but sounds like I will have to
make some time like I just have done to post this today!

> Is she going in the same spots or is it different every time?
Different spots. I bleach the kitchen floor and the wood floor is so new as
I said, only been down a few days.
> If she is going in the same spots. Have you really cleaned the area not
> just with over the counter products but with commercial cleaners?
Can you recommend anything for a wood floor, carpet and vinyl?
> If it is behavioral several things could be going on. One is you leave
> your door open all day.
I am normally working in the daytime so they are outside 9-6pm then outside
in the evening of I go out too.. I have no catflap.

> I believe you are in the UK
Yes I am

>if you were in the USA I could tell you something maybe getting into your
>house and leaving a scent that she is marking over. It could be other
>cats. I don't see others coming in. Generally the outside door is closed
>although one cat does come in occasionally but only for a minute or two to
>pinch food.. not enough time for it to urinate before I chase it out, I
>don't think so anyway. And the other cat has never been in my living room
>where she was urinating most.

> Once you rule out medical problems you can use something called feliway
> it helps with unwanted markings.
Ah, I'll look that up.

> Also you removed the carpet and underneath is a wood floor. No, it was a
> concrete floor which had a carpet underlay then carpet on. I have ripped
> up the carpet and underlay, then put a new underlay down and new wood
> floor on top.

Cat urine will
> soak all the way thru into the concrete below and you would have to ripped
> up the floor. You can use a black light to see where she has marked and
> you don't see also

Is that like you get in a night club which makes your white clothes glow?

> Hopes this helps a little

That does help very much, I really appreciate that advice.. If you can offer
anything else that would be appreciated. As my cat has been doing this for
months, do you feel it could still be a medical problem? If so I feel really
bad to have had her suffering...

Many thanks,
David

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my
>> cat is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
>> domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use.
>> I have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives.
>> I have had them about 2 years now.
>>
>> The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
>> against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
>> doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in
>> my living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated
>> on the side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new
>> floor. It is really frustrating me!
>>
>> I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her
>> trying to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her
>> scratching against the floor and then I know what she has just done!
>>
>> They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow
>> that, but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside
>> on the cardboard box.
>>
>> Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
>> creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't
>> know where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or
>> goes outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and
>> have never seen this in a cat before.
>>
>> I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.
>>
>> Many thanks for your time,
>> David

Dave
September 10th 07, 04:28 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message ...
> As the other poster said, she MUST be checked out by a vet for a urinary
> tract infection firstly.

Thank you Gail, for the very quick advice. I will speak to my vets and get
her looked at.

Many thanks
David

Sheelagh >o
September 10th 07, 04:33 PM
On 10 Sep, 15:57, "Dave" > wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my cat
> is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
> domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use. I
> have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
> have had them about 2 years now.
>
> The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
> against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
> doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in my
> living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated on the
> side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new floor. It
> is really frustrating me!
>
> I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her trying
> to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her scratching
> against the floor and then I know what she has just done!
>
> They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow that,
> but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on the
> cardboard box.
>
> Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
> creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't know
> where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or goes
> outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and have
> never seen this in a cat before.
>
> I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
> David

I'm not a betting person, but having said that, my bet is that she
either is not spayed, which is why she is leaving her smell to be
found by male cats who happen to be passing.. or, it is behavioural.
Mind you, behavioural means anything from not spaying her, to her
covering prior residents smells so that every cat in the area knows
that it is her area now!!
Of course, the other notable obvious reason is that she might have a
UTI. Only a vet can exclude that possibility, so best get her there
asap, & if it is a urinary infection, then he/ she can treat it.

Good Luck Dave,
Sheelagh >"o"<

CatNipped[_2_]
September 10th 07, 04:40 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message
.uk...

> That does help very much, I really appreciate that advice.. If you can
> offer anything else that would be appreciated. As my cat has been doing
> this for months, do you feel it could still be a medical problem? If so I
> feel really bad to have had her suffering...

Not to make you feel any worse, but to let you know it's pretty urgent to
see a vet... Women get UTIs (urinary tract infections) fairly often. A UTI
is one of the most painful ailments I've ever had. As soon as I feel one
coming on I got *straight* to the doctor because I know I'll be in a *LOT*
of pain if I don't.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Dave
September 10th 07, 04:45 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I'm not a betting person, but having said that, my bet is that she
> either is not spayed, which is why she is leaving her smell to be
> found by male cats who happen to be passing..

She was spayed (and her sister) 2 years ago. I got them from a cat rescue
place and they had to be spayed as part of the conditions of owning the
cats.
> or, it is behavioural.
> Mind you, behavioural means anything from not spaying her, to her
> covering prior residents smells so that every cat in the area knows
> that it is her area now!!
> Of course, the other notable obvious reason is that she might have a
> UTI. Only a vet can exclude that possibility, so best get her there
> asap, & if it is a urinary infection, then he/ she can treat it.

The UTI is sounding quite likely at the moment, or certainly the first thing
to rule out.
> Good Luck Dave,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

Thanks Sheelagh

Dave
September 10th 07, 04:47 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

> Not to make you feel any worse, but to let you know it's pretty urgent to
> see a vet... Women get UTIs (urinary tract infections) fairly often. A
> UTI is one of the most painful ailments I've ever had. As soon as I feel
> one coming on I got *straight* to the doctor because I know I'll be in a
> *LOT* of pain if I don't.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Oh dear.. you have made me feel worse but that's a *good* thing. I'm gonna
ring the vet right away.

Thank you very much for letting me know that..

David

Dave
September 10th 07, 05:23 PM
That's great you're a star Matthew:-) I will take all your points and work
through them.. I want her well first though so I will focus on the infection
possibility.

I've rung the vets you would probably all like to know.. they want me to get
a urine sample.. How the hell do I do that!! Now I want the cat to pee on
the floor... although I chucked some tissue in the bin that I soaked some up
with before!

Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if I
don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?

Cheers,
Dave

Dave
September 10th 07, 05:26 PM
> Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
> litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if I
> don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?

Just to clarify.. I didn't mean done the expressing.. I aint doing that.. I
meant getting a sample..

I read that back and it didn't sound clear.

Dave
September 10th 07, 05:27 PM
> Sorry did not spell check
>
> Also should have read bleach does not always do the trick. It usually is
> the best bet but can damage a lot of things, Never use products with
> ammonia in it. Ammonia smells very similar to cat urine

Nice hint, thanks

Dave
September 10th 07, 05:43 PM

>> I've rung the vets you would probably all like to know.. they want me to
>> get a urine sample.. How the hell do I do that!! Now I want the cat to
>> pee on the floor... although I chucked some tissue in the bin that I
>> soaked some up with before!
>>
> Good Man
>
> I have to say you are one of the few that actually listen when it takes
> calling a vet most people come in here and ask these questions and get
> ****ed when we tell them to go to a vet. Most want a quick fix. <
> internet slap on the back from the USA >

Well thank you... Take a hand shake from Yorkshire, England :-) The way I
see it is that I took ownership of the cats so it's my problem.. simple I
say! Well.. simple but complicated eh!

> Yes truly is a pain in the butt
I think my cat is thinking that too.. or pain in the bladder or something
anyway :o)

I decide many years ago it is just best to
> let them do it. The money is well worth it.

Hmm .. I think i'll give it one try, I don't want to stress out the poor
thing..
> Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
> make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
> bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
> mess ;-)

I can see mess being the result but i'm going to have to try something.. I
ain't really got a spare room as the spare room is full of junk... that's
what they're for aint they?!

> If you can't you need to tell the vet and it probably will take an over
> night visit so they can properly collect the urine

I'll see what I can do.. I'll try your plastic bag thing I think in a room,
it the best suggestion I heard so far anyway.. Then I'll get some in a
syringe from an inkjet refill kit. Then spray my spare room with
****gone.com or whatever its called! Sounds ok in theory anyway..

Thanks again :-)

Dave
September 10th 07, 05:47 PM

>> Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
>> make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
>> bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
>> mess ;-)
>>

> I mean one of the pans that you use. It will have the smell from being
> used before. The clean part is no litter in it just the plastic bag as a
> liner. the smell will permeate thru the bag so the cat thinks it is using
> the litter box

Ah sounds a plan.. so just put a plastic bag over the litter tray? Or are
you suggesting putting a bag/liner underneath some litter? I can leave the
other cat out overnight or in a different room with another tray..

CatNipped[_2_]
September 10th 07, 05:59 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message
.uk...
> That's great you're a star Matthew:-) I will take all your points and work
> through them.. I want her well first though so I will focus on the
> infection possibility.
>
> I've rung the vets you would probably all like to know.. they want me to
> get a urine sample.. How the hell do I do that!! Now I want the cat to pee
> on the floor... although I chucked some tissue in the bin that I soaked
> some up with before!
>
> Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
> litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if I
> don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Your vet should be able to get a urine sample with a catheter - mine always
have because, like you, I don't know *how* you'd get a cat to pee in a vial
(also, when a woman has to give a urine sample to test for a UTI, it has to
be a "clean" sample (this is probably TMI, but you have to clean the
"outside" area to avoid outside bacteria contaminating the sample, then you
have to get urine during "mid-stream" for the same reason - I wouldn't
expect a cat to be able to do that, so a catheterization by the vet would be
necessary).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl
September 10th 07, 06:57 PM
On Mon 10 Sep 2007 01:42:57p, Matthew wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

>> You are like on crack today. lol
>>
>> --
>> Cheryl
>>

> Nope just a SUGAR RUSH I made my giant double chocolate chip
> cookies with peanut butter and raisins today. As any good baker
> does I made a bakers dozen at least 3 times and an extra batch
> just to "taste".
>
> See what I did today. I based the recipe from one of my
> favorite lady on Food Network
>

> 3 eggs
> 1 egg white
> 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 little dash of cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
> 1 stick butter, softened
> 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
> 1/2 cup chocolate chips
> 1/4 cup raisins,2 teaspoons baking soda
> 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
>
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with
> parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
> In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix
> well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix
> well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins,
> if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches
> apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
>
> Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3
> minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool,
> store in large resealable plastic bags away from your hungry
> eyes for they are delicious.

Yikes! I got reciped on H+B!! ;) Sounds good though. Thanks for
the recipe. I will be making those!!

BTW - lots of good info for Dave from you. I was just messin' with
ya.

--
Cheryl

CatNipped[_2_]
September 10th 07, 08:42 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
>>> make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
>>> bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
>>> mess ;-)
>>>
>>> If you can't you need to tell the vet and it probably will take an over
>>> night visit so they can properly collect the urine
>> -------
>> Matthew, that's not true. My vet has taken urine samples from my cats on
>> multiple occasions. The vet tech takes the cat in the back and then
>> returns the cat 5 minutes later. I have never succeeded in trying to
>> collect a cat urine sample, and I haven't been asked to do so in years.
>> It takes only a few minutes at the vet office. I don't understand why any
>> vet is asking someone to try to do this on his own. The only problem I
>> have ever run into is if the cat has urinated right before the visit and
>> the bladder is empty. And the vet can tell if the bladder is full or
>> empty by palpation. But even at that, bringing the cat back the next day
>> for another try is still preferable to trying to do it yourself.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
> I said probably for a reason. The reason is in my experiences none of my
> cats thru the years have ever been able to be coaxed into doing it at the
> vets office. Many vets don't have the time to do it that is why I said
> it would probably take an over night visit. Many will collect the urine
> and send it off with out having to see the vet. Everytime I have left
> one over night they had the sample collected from the overnight staff.
> They had the test already run and by the time I picked the furball up at
> the end of the next day I had everything already ready to go.
>
> Collecting it can be very easy if the cats would work with us ;-)

Vets don't have to wait for a cat to "go", they can get a sterile urine
sample quite easily by simply inserting a catheter.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
September 10th 07, 09:59 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

>>> I said probably for a reason. The reason is in my experiences none of my
>>> cats thru the years have ever been able to be coaxed into doing it at
>>> the vets office. Many vets don't have the time to do it that is why I
>>> said it would probably take an over night visit. Many will collect the
>>> urine and send it off with out having to see the vet. Everytime I
>>> have left one over night they had the sample collected from the
>>> overnight staff. They had the test already run and by the time I picked
>>> the furball up at the end of the next day I had everything already
>>> ready to go.
>>>
>>> Collecting it can be very easy if the cats would work with us ;-)
>>
>> Vets don't have to wait for a cat to "go", they can get a sterile urine
>> sample quite easily by simply inserting a catheter.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
> You have never tried to stick something up there on one of my cats. Even
> my vet knows better specially Rumble bye bye fingers hand arm face ;-)

Wow, I didn't think any cat was badder than my Bandit - and the vet never
had any problems with her. What do you do when they need a "sterile" sample
(like for UTIs)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sheelagh >o
September 10th 07, 10:37 PM
On 10 Sep, 18:42, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > On Mon 10 Sep 2007 01:01:40p, Matthew wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> > >:
>
> >> "Dave" > wrote in message
> . uk...

> >> No use one of their pan that has been emptied out but not
> >> cleaned. Basically no litter dirty pan. Put a fresh plastic
> >> garbage bag over it. The smell is still there but the plastic
> >> bag will prevent it from being soaked into any left over litter
> >> and make it easy to collect. The ink refill syringe is the best
> >> bet.
>
> >> PS. it is called www.urinegone.com Naturals Miracle is a
> >> good product also your pet store should carry something similar
>
> >> You will be shocked once you use the black light. I carry one
> >> when I travel. I have made many hotels come in and change the
> >> linen before I even think about laying down.
>
> > You are like on crack today. lol
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> Nope just a SUGAR RUSH I made my giant double chocolate chip cookies with
> peanut butter and raisins today. As any good baker does I made a bakers
> dozen at least 3 times and an extra batch just to "taste".
>
> See what I did today. I based the recipe from one of my favorite lady on
> Food Network
>
> 3 eggs
> 1 egg white
> 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 little dash of cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
> 1 stick butter, softened
> 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
> 1/2 cup chocolate chips
> 1/4 cup raisins,2 teaspoons baking soda
> 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
>
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
> or nonstick baking mats.
> In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the
> salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate
> candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop
> by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
>
> Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes
> before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large
> resealable plastic bags away from your hungry eyes for they are delicious.- Hide quoted text -

Who said you don't learn plenty new, plenty of times...?
Sheelagh >"o"<

Catman 07
September 10th 07, 11:08 PM
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:57:24 GMT, "Dave" > wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my cat
>is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
>domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use. I
>have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
>have had them about 2 years now.
>
>The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
>against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
>doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in my
>living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated on the
>side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new floor. It
>is really frustrating me!

Dave, Catman here. Did this come on SUDDENLY?! I think this would be
considered normal ongoing behavior for an un-neutered female cat,
ESPECIALLY if you have two females, with the exception of not covering
up in the cat box. How old was she when she was neutered?

>I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her trying
>to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her scratching
>against the floor and then I know what she has just done!
>
>They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow that,
>but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on the
>cardboard box.
>
>Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
>creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't know
>where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or goes
>outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and have
>never seen this in a cat before.

One BIG question is: Are you feeding your cats DRY food? I found out
the HARD way how that can screw up cats. My cat got FLUTD, and one of
the most pronounced symptoms was urinating out of the box. He peed in
the bathtub (that was considerate of him, as it was easy to clean up,
but I don't think he is actually THAT smart) and on the floor near his
box. Peeing out-of-the-box only lasted for two days. He also didn't
cover what pee he did do in the box, at that time. Switching him to
canned fish dinner cat food, imho, fwiw, cured him of his FLUTD, in
about a week.

See: www.markshouse.com for more info.
Catman

>I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.
>
>Many thanks for your time,
>David

Wendy
September 11th 07, 11:31 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message
.uk...

>> Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
>> litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if
>> I don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?
>>
> Just to clarify.. I didn't mean done the expressing.. I aint doing that..
> I meant getting a sample..
>
> I read that back and it didn't sound clear.

The vet might be able to provide you with some clear plastic 'pearls' that
you put in a clean litter box. When the cat urinates in the box you can pour
off the urine into a clean container and take that to the vet. At least
that's how we did it with my Isabelle. Turns out she had crystals in her
urine and also has chronic kidney infections so there was a reason for my
girl to be peeing outside the box.

Wendy

Sheelagh >o
September 11th 07, 03:19 PM
On 10 Sep, 22:49, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...

> >> . uk...

> >> Nope just a SUGAR RUSH I made my giant double chocolate chip cookies
> >> with
> >> peanut butter and raisins today. As any good baker does I made a bakers
> >> dozen at least 3 times and an extra batch just to "taste".
>
> >> See what I did today. I based the recipe from one of my favorite lady on
> >> Food Network
>
> >> 3 eggs
> >> 1 egg white
> >> 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
> >> 1 cup granulated sugar
> >> 1 little dash of cinnamon
> >> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> >> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
> >> 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
> >> 1 stick butter, softened
> >> 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
> >> 1/2 cup chocolate chips
> >> 1/4 cup raisins,2 teaspoons baking soda
> >> 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
>
> >> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment
> >> paper
> >> or nonstick baking mats.
> >> In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add
> >> the
> >> salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate
> >> candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal.
> >> Drop
> >> by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
>
> >> Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not over bake. Let stand for about 3 minutes
> >> before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large
> >> resealable plastic bags away from your hungry eyes for they are
> >> delicious.- Hide quoted text -

> > Who said you don't learn plenty new, plenty of times...?
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> I take it the recipe sounds delicious trust me it is I am going to have to
> spend an extra couple hours on the tread mill tonight
>
> I know to much and there is not enough time in the day to work off my
> creations ;-)
>
> If you got a request ask- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I have. 2 question:
1: did you mean 3 *whole* eggs, or just 3 yolks because you didn't
specify?
2: Thanks for that one, it was excellent- now, have you got a Brownie
type mixture

Sorry to be so OT: everyone, but this is my only question & it
applies to anyone who knows how to make them like Betty Crocker did/
does it. They have to be just cooked with that unique soft mixture in
the centre PLEASE? :o)

A recipe for CHOCOLATE BROWNIES Please?

&, Is there such a thing as WHITE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE WHITEY'S for
want of a better description.

I tried out your recipe last night. I Left 2 batches to cool down on
the window ledge, & upon my return, the *whole Lot*, had
gone.......All that was left were a few crumbs in the middle of the
plate. ( Lets just say that the cats are not in the frame for this
crime; no!! This crime was committed by hoomins, I'm certain of it :o)

Treadmill...? :(
<BIG SIGH>,

If I *Must*! It's worth the gratification

PS: I'm trying the peanut butter & sultana version this evening. I had
to get some peanut butter from the shop, so that I could make them...

Actually, to bring this post a bit into more into line. Is it true
that chocolate is poisonous to cats? This argument has been raging for
weeks here. The reason behind the argument is because Lilly Chocolate
drop is absolutely addicted to chocolate, & can smell it from long
distances away too!!

I'm sure that I read somewhere that it is not good for cats because
they can't break it down. In answer to this, the kids sneak her bits
of chocolate, & this worries me. I know because I have found her still
nibbling @ white chocolate drops that they have given her. If it is
BAD for her, I need to instill the danger upon the kids, of their
actions. Dad has Diabetes, so if i am right, how would I explain the
toxicity to the kids ( Please?). I'm sure if they knew the harm that
it could do to her, they would stop doing it instantly,
Thanks Cheryl, Matthew, & anyone who might be able to answer one, or
both questions?
TIA,
Sheelagh >"o"<

CatNipped[_2_]
September 11th 07, 05:52 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> Stick them in the cat carrier which is huge it takes up my whole seat in
> my truck. It is designed for large dogs. I put a cat litter box with a
> plastic bag over it and take one of them outside in it. I get a sample
> real quick. They always urinate when the get put in the carrier. Easy
> job just got to make sure I collect it before they go into my truck. It
> is not been christen yet and I plan on keep it that way.
>
> If that does not work they get an over night visit with the vet who has
> a cage that has a pull out pan in the bottom where it makes it easy to
> collect. By the time I pick them up the next day all the test are run and
> anything that needed to be done is done.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I know the mechanics you use to get a
urine sample, but (with humans, anyway - and forgive the TMI) in order to
get a diagnosis of a urinary tract infection (which they test for by looking
for bacteria in the urine sample), the sample can't be contaminated by any
bacteria from outside the urethra, or you'll get a "false positive". In
collecting a "sterile sample", a woman is sent into the lavatory with a cup
and a couple of sterilizing pads. You have to make sure that you sterilize
around the opening to the urethra with the sterilizing pads. Then you have
to start urinating and *then* pass the cup into the "stream" at "mid-stream"
(so any bacteria just inside of the urethra is washed away first). Then you
have to immediately seal the cup, and they have to test it right away.
Doing all that makes sure that no "outside" bacteria contaminates the
sample - then if they find bacteria they *know* it's from the urethra and
can give a definite diagnosis of UTI.

What I'm saying is that, with a catheter, the vet can get a "sterile
sample", but if the urine touches the skin in the area of the urethra (or
any other surface besides the inside of a sterile cup) then bacteria can
show up in the sample that's not necessarily present inside the urethra -
thus giving a false positive. So, for some other diagnoses, the process you
use for getting a urine sample from a cat will work just fine, but to
diagnose a UTI, I think the vet would have to get the sample.

Hugs,

CatNipped

IBen Getiner
September 12th 07, 04:54 AM
On Sep 10, 10:57?am, "Dave" > wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my cat
> is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
> domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use. I
> have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
> have had them about 2 years now.
>
> The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
> against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
> doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in my
> living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated on the
> side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new floor. It
> is really frustrating me!
>
> I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her trying
> to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her scratching
> against the floor and then I know what she has just done!
>
> They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow that,
> but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on the
> cardboard box.
>
> Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
> creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't know
> where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or goes
> outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and have
> never seen this in a cat before.
>
> I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
> David

The problem with you cat, Dave, is that she's 25 years old. What do
you expect...?

IBen

Sheelagh >o
September 12th 07, 02:36 PM
On 11 Sep, 18:47, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]
> chocolate into batter in other bowl and stir in chopped chocolate or
> chocolate chips.
>
> Spread peanut-butter batter evenly in pan. Drop chocolate batter by
> large spoonfuls onto peanut-butter batter and spread carefully to form an
> even layer. Bake brownies in middle of oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until a
> tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Cool brownies completely in pan
> on a rack before cutting into 16 squares. Brownies keep, layered between
> sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container at cool room temperature, 5
> days.
>
> Here is one you can make your dad who is diabetic it is low carb. I got
> it off line
>
> Low Carb Double Chocolate Walnut Brownies
>
> 1 1/2 tablespoons wheat bran, or oat bran
> 1 1/4 cups plus 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
> 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
> 1/2 cup unsalted butter
> 2 cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
> 1/2 cup heavy cream
> 5 large eggs
> 1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> Low Carb Chocolate Frosting, recipe follows
> Special Equipment: 8-inch square baking pan
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
> Spray pan with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Set aside. Mix wheat
> bran and 1/2 tablespoon soy flour together and sprinkle evenly over the
> inside of the greased pan, also coating the sides.
>
> Place the unsweetened chocolate and butter in a steel bowl and melt over a
> saucepan of simmering water. Whisk in 1 cup sugar substitute and 1/4 cup
> heavy cream. Once thoroughly blended, turn off heat and keep warm until
> needed.
>
> With an electric mixer on high, beat the eggs, 1 cup sugar substitute and
> the vanilla extract just until blended. Reduce to low speed and then blend
> in the chocolate mixture.
>
> With a wooden spoon, mix in the baking powder, 1 1/4 cups soy flour,
> walnuts, and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and
> bake on the center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted
> in the center comes out clean. (Do not over-bake or brownies will be dry and
> hard.) Cool completely before frosting with low carb chocolate frosting. Cut
> into 5 rows by 5 rows to make 25 pieces.
>
> Low Carb Chocolate Frosting:
> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
> 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
> 1 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
> 1/3 cup heavy cream
> 1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
> Few drops hot water, as needed, to thin consistency
>
> Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Use to
> frost brownies, but make sure brownies are completely cooled, or the butter
> in the frosting will melt.
>
> Nutrition Information
> Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 152

Thank you very much Matthew, for both the recipes & also the advice
regarding Cats chocolate too. It looks like both Lilly's & my thighs
are in for a good work- out. Mine because I have a sweet tooth, & hers
because her legs are short, *fast* & hairy, LoL :o)
Looks like there is no more chocolate for Lilly. mind you, I'm sure
that I have seen cats chocolate drops before in a pet shop- I just
can't remember which one! I would imagine the best place to find them
is in Christmas stockings for pets?

Sheelagh >"o"<>