PDA

View Full Version : Living with Devil

Astrid
September 11th 07, 05:49 AM
Devil is a small dark grey female that I found wandering in the street ten
years ago. She has always had an attitude and doesn't like to be touched.
Even being petted makes her growl and carry on.

Her lower lip seems to swell up frequently, but I can't get her to open up
and let me look into her mouth.

Does anybody have any ideas about lip swellings and treatments?

Rene S.
September 11th 07, 05:13 PM
On Sep 10, 11:49 pm, "Astrid" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Devil is a small dark grey female that I found wandering in the street ten
> years ago. She has always had an attitude and doesn't like to be touched.
> Even being petted makes her growl and carry on.
>
> Her lower lip seems to swell up frequently, but I can't get her to open up
> and let me look into her mouth.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas about lip swellings and treatments?

Can you put her in a pet carrier and bring her to a vet? If needed, a
vet can sedate her for a better look. A swollen lip can signal a lot
of things (infected tooth, kitty acne, possible sarcoma, etc. ) and at
her age, earlier treatment is better than waiting.

Kevin Krell
September 12th 07, 11:23 AM
Astrid wrote:
> Devil is a small dark grey female that I found wandering in the street ten
> years ago. She has always had an attitude and doesn't like to be touched.
> Even being petted makes her growl and carry on.
>
> Her lower lip seems to swell up frequently, but I can't get her to open up
> and let me look into her mouth.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas about lip swellings and treatments?

Look up "eosinophilic granuloma". "The eosinophilic granuloma produces
a classical swollen lower lip or chin..." - picture here, midway down
the page (black & white kitty):
http://marvistavet.com/html/eosinophilic_granuloma.html

I have found in our cat that it responded to supplementation with the
amino acid L-Lysine. L-Lysine counters L-Argenine (arginine). People
with cold sores, or herpes simplex seem to benefit from controlling the
lysine/argenine balance. Eventually he didn't need it anymore, with no
recurrences, perhaps due to a change in diet also affecting that balance.