PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Dogs & Cats


_G O D_
September 11th 07, 04:22 PM
Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.

1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
practice limited to domesticated dogs?

2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
up their poop deposits?

oldwifetale
September 11th 07, 04:58 PM
On Sep 11, 8:22 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
> Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.
>
> 1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
> African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
> practice limited to domesticated dogs?
>
> 2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
> up their poop deposits?


Hello GOD (aka brojack)...

Shouldn't you know the answers to ALL of life's little *mysteries*?

My cat doesn't even attempt to cover his "poop deposits"
I think he is proud of them, and enjoys my reaction.

("OMG!!!! Who let the elephant get in the litter box????")

We do not refer to him as a "domesticated house cat"... as it is very
obvious that he is ticking off the days of his 'captivity', and is
only sticking around for the occasional bite of pickle-loaf - to which
he has developed a slightly unhealthy addiction, imo.

As for these other creatures, they will have to speak for themselves.

Amen

tiny dancer
September 11th 07, 05:11 PM
"_G O D_" > wrote in message
...
> Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.
>
> 1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
> African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
> practice limited to domesticated dogs?
>
> 2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
> up their poop deposits?


Sheesh GOD, go back to your usual *hunting ground*, where you are known and
*loved*.
>
>

Kerstin
September 11th 07, 05:15 PM
"_G O D_" > wrote:
> Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.
>
> 1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
> African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
> practice limited to domesticated dogs?
>
> 2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
> up their poop deposits?

eeehh huh???......who should know this if not you, _GOD_?
--
I like tomatoes and mozarella, but not noiseless patient Spiders brrrrrrr

_G O D_
September 12th 07, 01:58 PM
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:58:02 -0000, oldwifetale
> wrote:

>On Sep 11, 8:22 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
>> Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.
>>
>> 1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
>> African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
>> practice limited to domesticated dogs?
>>
>> 2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
>> up their poop deposits?
>
>
>Hello GOD (aka brojack)...

????

>Shouldn't you know the answers to ALL of life's little *mysteries*?

One site said that dogs mark their territory by urination and the
scent will be more pronounced the higher that it's away from the
ground. Also, a higher marking suggests that it was made by a bigger
dog. That's why we see little dogs really trying to elevate their
emissions.

Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
Huh??!!? No further explanation was provided.

Nothing found on this subject regarding other members of the dog
family.

>My cat doesn't even attempt to cover his "poop deposits"
>I think he is proud of them, and enjoys my reaction.
>
>("OMG!!!! Who let the elephant get in the litter box????")
>
>We do not refer to him as a "domesticated house cat"... as it is very
>obvious that he is ticking off the days of his 'captivity', and is
>only sticking around for the occasional bite of pickle-loaf - to which
>he has developed a slightly unhealthy addiction, imo.
>
>As for these other creatures, they will have to speak for themselves.
>
>Amen

The cat's mother disappeared before showing her kittens proper cat
decorum, e.g., covering poopy and retracting claws.

September 12th 07, 05:44 PM
On Sep 11, 11:22 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
> Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.
>
> 1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
> African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
> practice limited to domesticated dogs?

God, you shouldn't be including hyenas in a canine question. Hyenas
are closer related to felines.

September 12th 07, 05:54 PM
On Sep 12, 8:58 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
> Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
> Huh??!!? No further explanation was provided.

Both, and only, the alpha male and alpha female wolves of a wolf pack
will exhibit RLU. (raised leg urination). ALL others in the pack MUST
squat.

_G O D_
September 12th 07, 07:17 PM
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:54:12 -0700, wrote:

>On Sep 12, 8:58 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
>> Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
>> Huh??!!? No further explanation was provided.
>
>Both, and only, the alpha male and alpha female wolves of a wolf pack
>will exhibit RLU. (raised leg urination). ALL others in the pack MUST
>squat.

That's extremely interesting.

Talk about a hierarchical caste system!

Opinicus
September 12th 07, 07:28 PM
"_G O D_" > wrote in message
...

> One site said that dogs mark their territory by urination and the
> scent will be more pronounced the higher that it's away from the
> ground. Also, a higher marking suggests that it was made by a bigger
> dog. That's why we see little dogs really trying to elevate their
> emissions.

> Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
> Huh??!!? No further explanation was provided.

Anecdotal evidence follows.

<background>
Heybeli Island in Istanbul, where we used to live, is home to a colony of
pariah dogs. To cut a long story short, one of them, a bitch that we named
"Gluey", attached herself to us (her name derived from our inability to be
rid of her) and followed us around incessantly. Kanyak was in his prime at
this time and he mated with Gluey on more occasions and in more
(embarrassing) settings than I care to remember.
</background>

In our (Kanyak and my) walks through the Heybeli forest, Gluey and some of
her progeny would accompany us. During these excursions Gluey would
frequently urinate on trees. She had this singular technique of backing her
butt against the tree and then using her forelegs to move backwards and
lever her butt it as high as possible. I figure she must have been able to
reach Kanyak's shoulder-height (a dobe GSD mix) even though she was a
mongrel whose shoulder reached my knee but not much more.

</anecdote>

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

buglady
September 18th 07, 12:17 AM
"_G O D_" > wrote in message
...
> Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
> Huh??!!?
........I have two female dogs that life their legs. It's not uncommon.

> The cat's mother disappeared before showing her kittens proper cat
> decorum, e.g., covering poopy and retracting claws.

........the boss cat usually does not cover droppings.

buglady
take out the dog before replying