PDA

View Full Version : Grass in butt

jmc
September 14th 07, 12:16 PM
It's always something. Meep had been a bit constipated, but finally
passed something last night.

Just a little bit ago, she went to the litterbox, and when she came out,
I could see something on her butt. Didn't even think, 'cause there's no
possibility she'd have eaten string... grabbed her and some TP, thinking
the gunky thing was just a string of icky poop or something. Well, it
turns out to have been a long piece of grass (coated in nasty grey poop)!

Now, it came out very easily, and there was only an inch or two actually
inside her butt, but she's showing a bit of discomfort - she sits down
but walks like her butt hurts a bit. That's not so abnormal for people
who've had a troublesome BM, so I'd assume it was the same for cats.

Still, I worry. If she's still tender in the AM I'll call the vet.
With the ease the bit of grass came out and the small amount that was
inside, should I worry? Should I call the emergency vet? It's just
before 9pm here.

jmc

jmc
September 14th 07, 02:26 PM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (9/14/2007 8:46 PM):
> It's always something. Meep had been a bit constipated, but finally
> passed something last night.
>
> Just a little bit ago, she went to the litterbox, and when she came out,
> I could see something on her butt. Didn't even think, 'cause there's no
> possibility she'd have eaten string... grabbed her and some TP, thinking
> the gunky thing was just a string of icky poop or something. Well, it
> turns out to have been a long piece of grass (coated in nasty grey poop)!
>
> Now, it came out very easily, and there was only an inch or two actually
> inside her butt, but she's showing a bit of discomfort - she sits down
> but walks like her butt hurts a bit. That's not so abnormal for people
> who've had a troublesome BM, so I'd assume it was the same for cats.
>
> Still, I worry. If she's still tender in the AM I'll call the vet. With
> the ease the bit of grass came out and the small amount that was inside,
> should I worry? Should I call the emergency vet? It's just before 9pm
> here.
>
> jmc

Replying to myself. I know, bad form. She's OK now I think, had dinner
and moving more normally now. Imagine her butt's still a bit sore.
I'll call the vet tomorrow anyway, and keep an eye over her the next
couple of days.

Has anybody with a grass-obsessed cat had this happen before? It was a
pretty long bit of grass, all told, I'd have thought it would be digested...

jmc

jmagerl[_2_]
September 14th 07, 03:32 PM
MR. Bonkers is also a grass obsessed cat. And like you I have also had to
pull grass from his butt, Never more than an inch. HE has never had any ill
effects that I could see. On the plus side, I never have to worry about him
escaping the house, IF he bolts out the door, the first blade of grass stops
him dead in his tracks.
Yes, he also has a flower pot of "Cat Grass" sitting in his favorite window
(new pot every week). He can mow it down in an hour

"jmc" > wrote in message
> It's always something. Meep had been a bit constipated, but finally
> passed something last night.
>
> Just a little bit ago, she went to the litterbox, and when she came out, I
> could see something on her butt. Didn't even think, 'cause there's no
> possibility she'd have eaten string... grabbed her and some TP, thinking
> the gunky thing was just a string of icky poop or something. Well, it
> turns out to have been a long piece of grass (coated in nasty grey poop)!
>
> Now, it came out very easily, and there was only an inch or two actually
> inside her butt, but she's showing a bit of discomfort - she sits down but
> walks like her butt hurts a bit. That's not so abnormal for people who've
> had a troublesome BM, so I'd assume it was the same for cats.
>
> Still, I worry. If she's still tender in the AM I'll call the vet. With
> the ease the bit of grass came out and the small amount that was inside,
> should I worry? Should I call the emergency vet? It's just before 9pm
> here.
>
> jmc

Sheelagh >o
September 14th 07, 03:47 PM
On 14 Sep, 12:16, jmc > wrote:
> It's always something. Meep had been a bit constipated, but finally
> passed something last night.
>
> Just a little bit ago, she went to the litterbox, and when she came out,
> I could see something on her butt. Didn't even think, 'cause there's no
> possibility she'd have eaten string... grabbed her and some TP, thinking
> the gunky thing was just a string of icky poop or something. Well, it
> turns out to have been a long piece of grass (coated in nasty grey poop)!
>
> Now, it came out very easily, and there was only an inch or two actually
> inside her butt, but she's showing a bit of discomfort - she sits down
> but walks like her butt hurts a bit. That's not so abnormal for people
> who've had a troublesome BM, so I'd assume it was the same for cats.
>
> Still, I worry. If she's still tender in the AM I'll call the vet.
> With the ease the bit of grass came out and the small amount that was
> inside, should I worry? Should I call the emergency vet? It's just
> before 9pm here.
>
> jmc

Both Biffy & Tiggy have a taste for grass. Open the door, or put them
out in the pen, & the pair of them sit there literally mowing the
grass down. I think all cats do it if they feel a little constipated.
I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
grass.
Cleaning up after a icky bum can be a bit horrid, but no different to
baby bum's. Actually, I use baby wipes to clear up after a messy one.
Unless there are any other side effects, I don't think I would worry
too much about it.
Sheelagh >*o*<

DrLargePants
September 14th 07, 06:55 PM
> I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
> grass.

Its actually desirable for them to eat grass. We keep a pot of it in
the house. (indoor cats)

cybercat
September 15th 07, 01:31 AM
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
>> grass.
>

> Its actually desirable for them to eat grass. We keep a pot of it in
> the house. (indoor cats)

I think it is desirable as long as you donlt PULL the GRASS out of their
BUTTS!

jmc
September 15th 07, 01:53 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmagerl exclaimed (9/15/2007 12:02 AM):
> MR. Bonkers is also a grass obsessed cat. And like you I have also had to
> pull grass from his butt, Never more than an inch. HE has never had any ill
> effects that I could see. On the plus side, I never have to worry about him
> escaping the house, IF he bolts out the door, the first blade of grass stops
> him dead in his tracks.
> Yes, he also has a flower pot of "Cat Grass" sitting in his favorite window
> (new pot every week). He can mow it down in an hour

lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
saw-edged; I've planted a bit of lawn with "softer" grass but she
doesn't seem as interested in it.

jmc

cybercat
September 15th 07, 03:00 AM
"jmc" > wrote

> lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
> saw-edged

This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... ;) No wonder
his hiney is sore.

cybercat
September 15th 07, 06:53 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote
>>
>> lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
>> saw-edged
>
> This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... ;) No wonder
> his hiney is sore.

Damn. I killed the "Grass in Butt" thread.

lol

jmc
September 15th 07, 12:16 PM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (9/15/2007 11:30 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote
>> lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
>> saw-edged
>
> This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... ;) No wonder
> his hiney is sore.

Hitler? Where? I don't see him!

Oh, and Meep's a She. Butt she's fine today, in fact I think I need to
go clean the litterbox again.

:)

jmc
(yes, that was intentional)

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (9/15/2007 11:30 AM):
>> "jmc" > wrote
>>> lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
>>> saw-edged
>>
>> This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... ;) No
>> wonder
>> his hiney is sore.
>
> Hitler? Where? I don't see him!
>
> Oh, and Meep's a She. Butt she's fine today, in fact I think I need to go
> clean the litterbox again.
>
> :)
>
> jmc
> (yes, that was intentional)

Sorry, I knew Meep was a she. And you know darn well you should not have
pulled that grass out of her butt then wondered why it was sore. :)