PDA

View Full Version : Killing Fleas with New Baby in House

September 14th 07, 08:14 PM
We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?

Thanks.

Sheelagh >o
September 15th 07, 12:27 AM
On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" > wrote:
> yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get rid of
> the current fleas
>
> the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated while
> it is going on go out for the day.
> When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash your
> linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
> cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a new
> child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct poisons
> to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it your
> self.
>
> Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have the
> yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline. For
> once they go outside again you will get fleas again
>
> If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs but
> be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do it.
> Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away to
> keep the furballs safe while you do this
>
> Hope this helps
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
> > new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
> > So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
> > without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
> > groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
> > have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
Sheelagh >*o*<

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
September 15th 07, 07:37 AM
Use Advantage or Frontline on the cats. Use a spray that contains only
pyritherines. They are safe for humans. Your vet will have them. I use
the Vet-Cehm brand and it works great. No smell, no oily mess, just a dry
and odorless spray.

Paul

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
> new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
> So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
> without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
> groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
> have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?
>
> Thanks.

Sheelagh >o
September 15th 07, 12:36 PM
On 15 Sep, 00:38, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get rid
> >> of
> >> the current fleas
>
> >> the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated
> >> while
> >> it is going on go out for the day.
> >> When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash your
> >> linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
> >> cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a new
> >> child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct
> >> poisons
> >> to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it
> >> your
> >> self.
>
> >> Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have
> >> the
> >> yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline.
> >> For
> >> once they go outside again you will get fleas again
>
> >> If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs
> >> but
> >> be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do it.
> >> Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away
> >> keep the furballs safe while you do this
>
> >> Hope this helps

> ups.com...

> > Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
> > in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
> > 3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
> > Sheelagh >*o*<
>
> depends on your area I have company which charges up front 300 at the
> beginning of the contract than 79 a year which it does 3 times extra times
> are 49.99 each- Hide quoted text -

Sounds very reasonable to me.
Thankyou
Sheelagh>*o*<

MaryL
September 16th 07, 12:28 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" > wrote:
>>> yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get
>>> rid of
>>> the current fleas
>>>
>>> the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated
>>> while
>>> it is going on go out for the day.
>>> When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash
>>> your
>>> linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
>>> cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a
>>> new
>>> child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct
>>> poisons
>>> to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it
>>> your
>>> self.
>>>
>>> Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have
>>> the
>>> yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline.
>>> For
>>> once they go outside again you will get fleas again
>>>
>>> If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs
>>> but
>>> be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do
>>> it.
>>> Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away
>>> keep the furballs safe while you do this
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

>>> ups.com...

>> Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
>> in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
>> 3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
>> Sheelagh >*o*<
>>

> depends on your area I have company which charges up front 300 at the
> beginning of the contract than 79 a year which it does 3 times extra
> times are 49.99 each

Mine is similar. I don't remember what the original treatment cost because
that was several years ago, but he now exterminates 4 times a year (indoors
and outdoors). The cost is $78.00 each time, and he does not charge
anything it treatment is required in between the quarterly service calls.
He uses a form of pyrethrum indoors to protect the cats -- he uses a powder
form that he sprays carefully along cracks and spaces. He uses a stronger
insecticide in liquid form in the garage and on the exterior. The is East
Texas, where insects thrive, and it has been *well worth it* to have a
professional do this work.

MaryL

saxrocco via CatKB.com
September 17th 07, 10:25 PM
Fleas - my cats have fleas. We have used frontline, but can I just confirm
something. Our cat Chester has got some fur missing on his head near his
ears...Does this mean he is allergic to flea bites??? A neighbour said this
as her cat gets the same problem.
I must get all the bedding washed at the weekend (pray for good weather) I
forget they get everywhere!!!
Bless little Chester he has scabs on him - darn fleas :-(

Hope we are all free from fleas soon.
Clare x

Matthew wrote:
>yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get rid of
>the current fleas
>
>the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated while
>it is going on go out for the day.
>When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash your
>linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
>cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a new
>child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct poisons
>to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it your
>self.
>
>Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have the
>yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline. For
>once they go outside again you will get fleas again
>
>If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs but
>be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do it.
>Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away to
>keep the furballs safe while you do this
>
>Hope this helps
>
>> We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
>> new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>>
>> Thanks.

Sheelagh >o
September 18th 07, 01:06 PM
On 17 Sep, 22:25, "saxrocco via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Fleas - my cats have fleas. We have used frontline, but can I just confirm
> something. Our cat Chester has got some fur missing on his head near his
> ears...Does this mean he is allergic to flea bites??? A neighbour said this
> as her cat gets the same problem.
> I must get all the bedding washed at the weekend (pray for good weather) I
> forget they get everywhere!!!
> Bless little Chester he has scabs on him - darn fleas :-(
>
> Hope we are all free from fleas soon.
> Clare x
>

> Matthew wrote:
> >yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get rid of
> >the current fleas
>
> >the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated while
> >it is going on go out for the day.
> >When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash your
> >linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
> >cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a new
> >child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct poisons
> >to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it your
> >self.
>
> >Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have the
> >yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline. For
> >once they go outside again you will get fleas again
>
> >If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs but
> >be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do it.
> >Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away to
> >keep the furballs safe while you do this
>
> >Hope this helps
>
> >> We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
> >> new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
> >[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>
> >> Thanks.

BOnce upon a time you could get the council exterminators out, free of
charge to anyone who called if they had a cat flea problem. As with
all things, people abuse the service, & in the end, everyone end up
paying to make up for the freeloaders.
I don't know where you live Clare, but it might be worth asking them
to come out.
In my opinion, they are the best one people to get rid of a flea
problem because they guarantee the work.

These days, if you want the to come out to you, as long as you are
ready to receive them ( ie: you are all tidied up, & it is easy to get
under the beds, and move the 3 piece ect), then you will be fine,
because they charge by the hour. It's around 36 per hour, which
starts when they leave the depot to come to your place, so if you say
2-3 hours max, you can estimate the price. Mind you, as I said, if you
have a problem after that,. they will do a respray for free...
They do a brilliant job & it's worth every penny when you consider the
exchange.

That is how much my council charges, of course yours might be
different, but I would say that it is well worth checking them out.
The spray that Paul mentions, is good, but a bit pricey if you intend
to get the whole house done. You need to do every singe pace where the
cats go ( & don't go too, becasuse fleas jump amazing paces away!!),
right down to under the sofa!!

Good Luck Clare,
Sheelagh >"o"<