PDA

View Full Version : Q on bug fogger, etc

ensoul
September 15th 07, 02:36 AM
a friend of mine had recommend Seargant's gold for fleas she has 6
cats all go outdoors'

so wash everything in hot water, spray everything else down & treat
the my 2 indoor cats with the squeezable Seargants...didn't work at
all

meanwhile Moe & Rudy desperately need to be groomed, $50 per cat! my
income is very low and cut in half by my husbands death

I call the humane society tell them the problem for a donation of $35
they'll do both cats! Great
they suggest I use a fogger then and re-treat the cats

I call a different vet who came out of retirement said area vets were
charging too much...for $55 I get 4 treatments of advatix (sp) and a
bug bomber

I ask how big of a place will it work for, tell I'm in a 2 bdrm one
floor apartment...the bdrms are down a short hallway, worried abt it
spreading that far, Vet recp assures me it does

It's called Knockout.. kills adult, pre-adult, including flea eggs for
7 months!

one fogger for each 6,000 cubic feet...they told it treats a large one
floor apartment or home, that I only need another fogger if I have
more than 1 floor ...which I don't

but my living space is like this, the dinning & living room all open
to each other (this area is 42 regular ft by 36ft), the kitchen can be
accessed from dinning or living room and fairly open area. an open
bar type area separates it..then from the kitchen or living room in
little more than 3ft off hallway are the bathroom and 2 bdrms

is one fogger ok? they reassured me at the Vet's it is..but I can't
afford to do this again
I don't how large 6000 sq. feet is

I got hit with $110 in extra in bills btwn the stuff for fleas, oil
change, and they're being groomed

I can't afford the extra ten dollars for another fogger, things are
that tight

as it is now I have only $50 to last to the end of the month, I'm
disabled on SSI

yes I know they are my responablity, we got them when there was 2
income family, my husband's cancer was in remission for over a year,
can't talk abt that (emotional time w/our anniversary & his bday
coming up soon)

one bug fogger enough??? worried abt it not getting into the bdrms

thanks you

Lynn

There's beauty in the silver singing river,
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky,
But none of these and nothing else can match the beauty,
That I remember in my true love's eyes
~Bob Dylan

,

cybercat
September 15th 07, 03:20 AM
"ensoul" > wrote

If they are indoor cats, how do they get fleas?

Sherry
September 15th 07, 07:43 AM
On Sep 14, 8:36 pm, ensoul > wrote:
> a friend of mine had recommend Seargant's gold for fleas she has 6
> cats all go outdoors'
>
> so wash everything in hot water, spray everything else down & treat
> the my 2 indoor cats with the squeezable Seargants...didn't work at
> all
>
> meanwhile Moe & Rudy desperately need to be groomed, $50 per cat! my
> income is very low and cut in half by my husbands death
>
> I call the humane society tell them the problem for a donation of $35
> they'll do both cats! Great
> they suggest I use a fogger then and re-treat the cats
>
> I call a different vet who came out of retirement said area vets were
> charging too much...for $55 I get 4 treatments of advatix (sp) and a
> bug bomber
>
> I ask how big of a place will it work for, tell I'm in a 2 bdrm one
> floor apartment...the bdrms are down a short hallway, worried abt it
> spreading that far, Vet recp assures me it does
>
> It's called Knockout.. kills adult, pre-adult, including flea eggs for
> 7 months!
>
> one fogger for each 6,000 cubic feet...they told it treats a large one
> floor apartment or home, that I only need another fogger if I have
> more than 1 floor ...which I don't
>
> but my living space is like this, the dinning & living room all open
> to each other (this area is 42 regular ft by 36ft), the kitchen can be
> accessed from dinning or living room and fairly open area. an open
> bar type area separates it..then from the kitchen or living room in
> little more than 3ft off hallway are the bathroom and 2 bdrms
>
> is one fogger ok? they reassured me at the Vet's it is..but I can't
> afford to do this again
> I don't how large 6000 sq. feet is
>
> I got hit with $110 in extra in bills btwn the stuff for fleas, oil
> change, and they're being groomed
>
> I can't afford the extra ten dollars for another fogger, things are
> that tight
>
> as it is now I have only $50 to last to the end of the month, I'm
> disabled on SSI
>
> yes I know they are my responablity, we got them when there was 2
> income family, my husband's cancer was in remission for over a year,
> can't talk abt that (emotional time w/our anniversary & his bday
> coming up soon)
>
> one bug fogger enough??? worried abt it not getting into the bdrms
>
> thanks you

Lynn, I hope you meant to write "Advantage", not "Advantix." Advantix
is for DOGS ONLY. Never use it on cats!
If you're worried about the bug bomber not being enough, just be extra
diligent about vacuuming. Buy a Hartz flea
collar, cut it up and put it in your vaccum bag. (that's all they are
good for). Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Over and
over. Do it again the next day. And the next. Toss your vacuum bag
outside in the trash after vacuuming.

I never used foggers or pesticides on the carpet, even when I did have
a moderate flea infestation. I just treat the area underneath
the beds, couches, furniture where the cats can't go. Then I vacuum
like a madwoman. It works. Not overnight, but
it works. If your cats are anything less than 100% healthy, you should
not either. One of mine is health-compromised, and
didn't need to be exposed to chemicals. I'm not familiar with
Knockout. I assume since it's from your vet it is safe?

Good luck with the flea problem.

Sherry

Paul M. Cook
September 15th 07, 02:39 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> a friend of mine had recommend Seargant's gold for fleas she has 6
> cats all go outdoors'
>
> so wash everything in hot water, spray everything else down & treat
> the my 2 indoor cats with the squeezable Seargants...didn't work at
> all
>
> meanwhile Moe & Rudy desperately need to be groomed, $50 per cat! my
> income is very low and cut in half by my husbands death
>
> I call the humane society tell them the problem for a donation of $35
> they'll do both cats! Great
> they suggest I use a fogger then and re-treat the cats
>
> I call a different vet who came out of retirement said area vets were
> charging too much...for $55 I get 4 treatments of advatix (sp) and a
> bug bomber
>
> I ask how big of a place will it work for, tell I'm in a 2 bdrm one
> floor apartment...the bdrms are down a short hallway, worried abt it
> spreading that far, Vet recp assures me it does
>
> It's called Knockout.. kills adult, pre-adult, including flea eggs for
> 7 months!
>
> one fogger for each 6,000 cubic feet...they told it treats a large one
> floor apartment or home, that I only need another fogger if I have
> more than 1 floor ...which I don't
>
> but my living space is like this, the dinning & living room all open
> to each other (this area is 42 regular ft by 36ft), the kitchen can be
> accessed from dinning or living room and fairly open area. an open
> bar type area separates it..then from the kitchen or living room in
> little more than 3ft off hallway are the bathroom and 2 bdrms
>
> is one fogger ok? they reassured me at the Vet's it is..but I can't
> afford to do this again
> I don't how large 6000 sq. feet is
>
> I got hit with $110 in extra in bills btwn the stuff for fleas, oil
> change, and they're being groomed
>
> I can't afford the extra ten dollars for another fogger, things are
> that tight
>
> as it is now I have only $50 to last to the end of the month, I'm
> disabled on SSI
>
> yes I know they are my responablity, we got them when there was 2
> income family, my husband's cancer was in remission for over a year,
> can't talk abt that (emotional time w/our anniversary & his bday
> coming up soon)
>

> one bug fogger enough??? worried abt it not getting into the bdrms
>

> thanks you
>
> Lynn

In my experience, those foggers work better than the label says. I have had
to use them in the past, the label instructed me to use 2, I used 1. The
flea problem was eradicated very quickly. But I used a product sold by my
vet. It was Vet-Chem brand. It is a pyrytherine based fogger. The
pyrytherines do not kill the adult fleas so much as they prevent the flea
eggs from hatching. Vacuum every day for 2-3 days after the fogging and
your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem
was over.

Paul

Sheelagh >o
September 15th 07, 04:22 PM
On 15 Sep, 14:39, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> [...]
> > coming up soon)
>
> > one bug fogger enough??? worried abt it not getting into the bdrms
>
> > thanks you
>
> > Lynn
>
> In my experience, those foggers work better than the label says. I have had
> to use them in the past, the label instructed me to use 2, I used 1. The
> flea problem was eradicated very quickly. But I used a product sold by my
> vet. It was Vet-Chem brand. It is a pyrytherine based fogger. The
> pyrytherines do not kill the adult fleas so much as they prevent the flea
> eggs from hatching. Vacuum every day for 2-3 days after the fogging and
> your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
> just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
> Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem

I have been looking around for "foggers" in the UK, but so far I can't
find any @ all. are they called anything else? ie: Is foggers a nick-
name for it, or is that the real name of them? The reason I ask is
because calling the exterminators out costs on average around 150, &
that is a one time treatment only I don't think we have any @ the
moment, but sometimes in the winter when you turn the heating on, they
start sprouting out of the carpet, then you have a plague of ankle
biters! Which would be the best option out of the two of them?
Sheelagh >"o"<

September 15th 07, 06:07 PM
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:22:34 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
> [...]

>> your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
>> just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
>> Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem
>> was over.
>>
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

>I have been looking around for "foggers" in the UK, but so far I can't
>find any @ all. are they called anything else? ie: Is foggers a nick-
>name for it, or is that the real name of them? The reason I ask is
>because calling the exterminators out costs on average around 150, &
>that is a one time treatment only I don't think we have any @ the
>moment, but sometimes in the winter when you turn the heating on, they
>start sprouting out of the carpet, then you have a plague of ankle
>biters! Which would be the best option out of the two of them?

There are flea foggers and flea bombs on the link below. I have no
familiarity with the brand name of the products since they are across
the pond from me and I have never seen or tried them here in the US.
Good Luck!

http://www.pets2home.co.uk/cat--Flea-Fleas-Collar-Tablets--Flea_Cat.html

KarenF

Sheelagh >o
September 15th 07, 11:44 PM
On 15 Sep, 18:07, wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:22:34 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
>

> > wrote:
> >On 15 Sep, 14:39, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> >> "ensoul" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> In my experience, those foggers work better than the label says. I have had
> >> to use them in the past, the label instructed me to use 2, I used 1. The
> >> flea problem was eradicated very quickly. But I used a product sold by my
> >> vet. It was Vet-Chem brand. It is a pyrytherine based fogger. The
> >> pyrytherines do not kill the adult fleas so much as they prevent the flea
> >> eggs from hatching. Vacuum every day for 2-3 days after the fogging and
> >> your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
> >> just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
> >> Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem
> >> was over.
>
> >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> >I have been looking around for "foggers" in the UK, but so far I can't
> >find any @ all. are they called anything else? ie: Is foggers a nick-
> >name for it, or is that the real name of them? The reason I ask is
> >because calling the exterminators out costs on average around 150, &
> >that is a one time treatment only I don't think we have any @ the
> >moment, but sometimes in the winter when you turn the heating on, they
> >start sprouting out of the carpet, then you have a plague of ankle
> >biters! Which would be the best option out of the two of them?
> >Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> There are flea foggers and flea bombs on the link below. I have no
> familiarity with the brand name of the products since they are across
> the pond from me and I have never seen or tried them here in the US.
> Good Luck!
>
> http://www.pets2home.co.uk/cat--Flea-Fleas-Collar-Tablets--Flea_Cat.html
>
> KarenF- Hide quoted text -

Thanx, that's made my day, Lol :o)
I obviously didn't look far enough, & appreciate it no end. Think I
might give one a try
Sheelagh >"o"<

ensoul
September 16th 07, 03:21 AM
On Sep 14, 10:20?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "ensoul" > wrote
>
> If they are indoor cats, how do they get fleas?

that's the Q I keep asking!

yup, they are....vet and friends w/cats have told me the flea prob in
my area has been very severe this summer prob because of the odd
weather..I live in upstate NY, very rural area...summer started late
but when from 60 few days later in the 90's and it stayed that
way..then the same pattern cool of a bit and then record high's

I was told that flea's can jumb a long distance and they can be
tracked by your feet, plus I live an apartment complex
I'm in an end apartment upstairs, below the lady has cat and the
apartment beside me they have 2 or 3 cats, animals here are not
allowed outside unless on a leash..grounds for eviction if your pet
gets out! But, I know Cindy (the neighbor w/more cats buys flea
treatment on Ebay, buys in the winter she told me much cheaper) and
Joyce an elderly lady the other neighbor...I visit w/her when I can
and never seen her cat even strach himself

so ya got me

I'm going throw out my door mat...broke can't even by a new one and
will spray my entrance way..I have small balconey doubt they could get
in that way but I'm going spray the floor too

ensoul
September 16th 07, 03:25 AM
On Sep 15, 9:39?am, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:
> [...]
> > coming up soon)
>
> > one bug fogger enough??? worried abt it not getting into the bdrms
>
> > thanks you
>
> > Lynn
>
> In my experience, those foggers work better than the label says. I have had
> to use them in the past, the label instructed me to use 2, I used 1. The
> flea problem was eradicated very quickly. But I used a product sold by my
> vet. It was Vet-Chem brand. It is a pyrytherine based fogger. The
> pyrytherines do not kill the adult fleas so much as they prevent the flea
> eggs from hatching. Vacuum every day for 2-3 days after the fogging and
> your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
> just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
> Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem

great to know, thanks! mine is also pyrytherine based fogger checked
it..as for vacumming why so much doesn't the fogger do it? I ask
because vacumming is painful for me & the pain lasts long past the
time I vacumed... I have a disability in my arms, upper back & hands

a friend suggested buying a flea collar you cut into 1/4 and put it in
the vacum when new or very slightly used

ensoul
September 16th 07, 03:25 AM
On Sep 15, 11:22?am, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> [...]
> > your flea problem will most likely be over. I have also had great success
> > just using their area spray. I had a horrible infestation back in 04.
> > Worst ever. One dose of the area spray and some vacuuming and the problem
> > was over.
>
> > Paul- Hide quoted text -

> I have been looking around for "foggers" in the UK, but so far I can't
> find any @ all. are they called anything else? ie: Is foggers a nick-
> name for it, or is that the real name of them? The reason I ask is
> because calling the exterminators out costs on average around 150, &
> that is a one time treatment only I don't think we have any @ the
> moment, but sometimes in the winter when you turn the heating on, they
> start sprouting out of the carpet, then you have a plague of ankle
> biters! Which would be the best option out of the two of them?

sometimes they're called bug bombs, that's in US or maybe just in my
state

ensoul
September 16th 07, 03:30 AM
On Sep 15, 2:43?am, Sherry > wrote:
> On Sep 14, 8:36 pm, ensoul > wrote:
>

> Lynn, I hope you meant to write "Advantage", not "Advantix." Advantix
> is for DOGS ONLY. Never use it on cats!

.. I just treat the area underneath
> the beds, couches, furniture where the cats can't go. > like a madwoman. It works.

that's what the fogger will do for me

Not overnight, but
> it works. If your cats are anything less than 100% healthy, you should
> not either. One of mine is health-compromised, and
> didn't need to be exposed to chemicals. I'm not familiar with
> Knockout. I assume since it's from your vet it is safe?

yes they say it is, say it treats flea's pre-adult flea's and the
larvae (spelling) for 7 months

and vacumming is painful for me...neuropathy in hands, arms, and upper
back

> Good luck with the flea problem.
>
> Sherry

thank you...vacum

ensoul
September 16th 07, 03:33 AM
Lynn, I hope you meant to write "Advantage", not "Advantix." Advantix
is for DOGS ONLY. Never use it on cats!
If you're worried about the bug bomber not being enough, just be extra
diligent about vacuuming. Buy a Hartz flea
collar, cut it up and put it in your vaccum bag

yeah I did mean Advantage, put (sp) next to it..short for spelling we
all have our own abbreviations..can't expect others to know it, should
have just typed it out

Lynn

There's beauty in the silver singing river,
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky,
But none of these and nothing else can match the beauty,
That I remember in my true love's eyes
~Bob Dylan

cybercat
September 16th 07, 04:08 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 14, 10:20?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "ensoul" > wrote
>>
>> If they are indoor cats, how do they get fleas?
>
> that's the Q I keep asking!
>
> yup, they are....vet and friends w/cats have told me the flea prob in
> my area has been very severe this summer prob because of the odd
> weather..I live in upstate NY, very rural area...summer started late
> but when from 60 few days later in the 90's and it stayed that
> way..then the same pattern cool of a bit and then record high's
>
> I was told that flea's can jumb a long distance and they can be
> tracked by your feet, plus I live an apartment complex
> I'm in an end apartment upstairs, below the lady has cat and the
> apartment beside me they have 2 or 3 cats, animals here are not
> allowed outside unless on a leash..grounds for eviction if your pet
> gets out! But, I know Cindy (the neighbor w/more cats buys flea
> treatment on Ebay, buys in the winter she told me much cheaper) and
> Joyce an elderly lady the other neighbor...I visit w/her when I can
> and never seen her cat even strach himself
>
> so ya got me
>
> I'm going throw out my door mat...broke can't even by a new one and
> will spray my entrance way..I have small balconey doubt they could get
> in that way but I'm going spray the floor too

Interesting. I have heard of this in sandy areas, like Florida, but did not
know it could happen in other areas. It sounds like someone in the complex
has an uncontrolled flea problem, maybe? Good luck.