PDA

View Full Version : 37 year old cat , hard to believe


Michael Lane
September 16th 07, 01:57 PM
I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the most
recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to be 37 years
old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of Duluth Minn. Cats name is
Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat
entry. Never been out of the house except to visit vet. If this is true
I hope baby lives on & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is
written on as three.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

T
September 16th 07, 07:24 PM
In article >,
says...
>
> I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the most
> recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to be 37 years
> old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of Duluth Minn. Cats name is
> Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat
> entry. Never been out of the house except to visit vet. If this is true
> I hope baby lives on & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is
> written on as three.
>
> Michael Lane
>
> It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
> Dizzy Dean
>
>
>

In most population distributions you always have outliers that live
either far shorter or far longer lives than others of the class.

Lifetimes of mammales fit very nicely onto bell curves.

AZ Nomad
September 16th 07, 09:12 PM
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:24:47 -0400, T > wrote:


>In article >,
says...
>>
>> I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the most
>> recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to be 37 years
>> old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of Duluth Minn. Cats name is
>> Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat
>> entry. Never been out of the house except to visit vet. If this is true
>> I hope baby lives on & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is
>> written on as three.
>>
>> Michael Lane
>>
>> It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
>> Dizzy Dean
>>
>>
>>

>In most population distributions you always have outliers that live
>either far shorter or far longer lives than others of the class.

>Lifetimes of mammales fit very nicely onto bell curves.


I think a far more likely story is that the people who are saying that the
cat is 37 years old are telling a tell tale. It is like a person living to
250 years. The # of people living past 140 are zero, the number of people
living past 150 are zero, ditto for 160 and the same goes all the way out to
250.

Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

-Lost
September 17th 07, 01:44 AM
Response from AZ Nomad >:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:24:47 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
>
>>In article >,
says...
>>>
>>> I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the
>>> most recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to
>>> be 37 years old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of
>>> Duluth Minn. Cats name is Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat
>>> Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat entry. Never been out of the
>>> house except to visit vet. If this is true I hope baby lives on
>>> & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is written on as
>>> three.
>>>
>
>>In most population distributions you always have outliers that
>>live either far shorter or far longer lives than others of the
>>class.
>
>>Lifetimes of mammales fit very nicely onto bell curves.
>
> I think a far more likely story is that the people who are saying
> that the cat is 37 years old are telling a tell tale. It is like
> a person living to 250 years. The # of people living past 140 are
> zero, the number of people living past 150 are zero, ditto for 160
> and the same goes all the way out to 250.
>
> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
plausible? Some strange genetic abnormality or herbal supplemented
diet or rare root from the Amazon rain forest could not possibly
prolong an animal's life to almost three times the normal lifespan?

I only ask because if it is possible for twice their normal lifespan,
why could it not be for thrice?

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
September 17th 07, 04:12 AM
"-Lost" > wrote
>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>
> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
> plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've heard
of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)

Richard Evans
September 17th 07, 06:17 AM
AZ Nomad > wrote:

>
>Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

A quick Google on 'Guinness oldest cat' turns up several who have. The
oldest one I saw was 34.

-Lost
September 18th 07, 12:45 AM
Response from "cybercat" >:

> "-Lost" > wrote
>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>
>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even
>> remotely plausible?
>
> Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true.
> I've heard of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)

Hehe. That's OK, I believe you. : )

Heck I was not even aware of how long cats normally lived until I
looked it up yesterday.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
September 18th 07, 01:26 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> Response from "cybercat" >:
>
>> "-Lost" > wrote
>>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>>
>>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even
>>> remotely plausible?
>>
>> Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true.
>> I've heard of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)
>
> Hehe. That's OK, I believe you. : )
>
> Heck I was not even aware of how long cats normally lived until I
> looked it up yesterday.
>
I knew a cat named Harriett who was said to be age 28. Harriett gave me the
impression that it is possible to live far too long for your own good. lol

Honestly, she was a white long-hair, and the rheumiest-eyed, boniest,
scabbiest, creakyest, croakingist cat I had ever seen. She ruled the roost
though, kept to big young toms in line every day.

AZ Nomad
September 18th 07, 03:04 AM
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat > wrote:



>"-Lost" > wrote
>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>
>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
>> plausible?

>Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've heard
>of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)

Know any humans 250 years old?

cybercat
September 18th 07, 03:16 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
...
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>
>
>
>>"-Lost" > wrote
>>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>>
>>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
>>> plausible?
>
>>Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've
>>heard
>>of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)
>
> Know any humans 250 years old?

I was thinking you might be.

AZ Nomad
September 19th 07, 12:58 AM
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:16:36 -0400, cybercat > wrote:



>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
...
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>"-Lost" > wrote
>>>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>>>
>>>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
>>>> plausible?
>>
>>>Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've
>>>heard
>>>of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)
>>
>> Know any humans 250 years old?

>I was thinking you might be.


That makes no sense at all. Was that an attempt at the 5 year old's
"No i'm not you are" argument?

AZ Nomad
September 19th 07, 01:37 AM
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:18:33 -0400, Matthew > wrote:



>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
...
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:16:36 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
...
>>>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat >
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>"-Lost" > wrote
>>>>>>> Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
>>>>>> plausible?
>>>>
>>>>>Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've
>>>>>heard
>>>>>of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation. ;)
>>>>
>>>> Know any humans 250 years old?
>>
>>>I was thinking you might be.
>>
>>
>> That makes no sense at all. Was that an attempt at the 5 year old's
>> "No i'm not you are" argument?
>>

>I found some links about it
> http://www.messybeast.com/longevity.htm
>http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/records.htm
>http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatRecords.htm


thanks

yngver
September 21st 07, 04:03 PM
On Sep 17, 12:17 am, Richard Evans > wrote:
> AZ Nomad > wrote:
>
> >Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
>
> A quick Google on 'Guinness oldest cat' turns up several who have. The
> oldest one I saw was 34.

That's right, it's not true that no cats live past 30. Every once in a
while Cat Fancy has a contest on oldest cats, and runs pictures and
stories of the oldest ones. Several of the cats have been more than 30
years old.

I've personally known some people who had cats that lived into their
mid and late 20s, so I see no reason a few cats can't make it into
their 30s.

The 34 year old cat in the Guinness Book of Records was well
documented and much publicized.
-yngver