PDA

View Full Version : they're still fighting


ensoul
September 23rd 07, 01:20 AM
almost 4 days now since they were groomed and have been at each others
throats...have to use a squirt gun, that stopped working added vinegar
to it, that helps but I can't put up with this

I have kept them in seperate rooms, try to take turns for each cat,
only can use the one bedroom..try letting one for a shot amnt of
time...they have an uneasy truce but then attack time

Moe the mild laid one has become the aggresor, intimidates his brother
Rudy who used just a bit more dominate..they are both neutred
(spelling) and have been since before I got them at 8 months of age,
they're almost 3


I can't afford to care for Moe & Rudy, give them what they need, and
it will get the Apartment owner/Manger off my back...love them dearly
& it will break my heart but I have no choice, just can't take care of
them anymore...I want them to stay together and Vaccations are up to
date..

when we got them we could afford there care, didn't know Rick (my
husband) would die

blkcatgal
September 23rd 07, 01:34 AM
I had the same problem when I took my one cat to the vet. When we came
home, my other cat attacked the one that had been at the vet. For over a
week, the one cat chased the other, attacked him, hissed at him, etc.
Eventually, things calmed down and got back to normal. Give it more
time......

S.

"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> almost 4 days now since they were groomed and have been at each others
> throats...have to use a squirt gun, that stopped working added vinegar
> to it, that helps but I can't put up with this
>
> I have kept them in seperate rooms, try to take turns for each cat,
> only can use the one bedroom..try letting one for a shot amnt of
> time...they have an uneasy truce but then attack time
>
> Moe the mild laid one has become the aggresor, intimidates his brother
> Rudy who used just a bit more dominate..they are both neutred
> (spelling) and have been since before I got them at 8 months of age,
> they're almost 3
>
>
> I can't afford to care for Moe & Rudy, give them what they need, and
> it will get the Apartment owner/Manger off my back...love them dearly
> & it will break my heart but I have no choice, just can't take care of
> them anymore...I want them to stay together and Vaccations are up to
> date..
>
> when we got them we could afford there care, didn't know Rick (my
> husband) would die
>

-Lost
September 23rd 07, 02:04 AM
Response from "blkcatgal" >:

> "ensoul" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> almost 4 days now since they were groomed and have been at each
>> others throats...have to use a squirt gun, that stopped working
>> added vinegar to it, that helps but I can't put up with this
>>
>> I have kept them in seperate rooms, try to take turns for each
>> cat, only can use the one bedroom..try letting one for a shot
>> amnt of time...they have an uneasy truce but then attack time
>>
>> Moe the mild laid one has become the aggresor, intimidates his
>> brother Rudy who used just a bit more dominate..they are both
>> neutred (spelling) and have been since before I got them at 8
>> months of age, they're almost 3
>>
>>
>> I can't afford to care for Moe & Rudy, give them what they need,
>> and it will get the Apartment owner/Manger off my back...love
>> them dearly & it will break my heart but I have no choice, just
>> can't take care of them anymore...I want them to stay together
>> and Vaccations are up to date..
>>
>> when we got them we could afford there care, didn't know Rick (my
>> husband) would die
>>
>
> I had the same problem when I took my one cat to the vet. When we
> came home, my other cat attacked the one that had been at the vet.
> For over a week, the one cat chased the other, attacked him,
> hissed at him, etc. Eventually, things calmed down and got back to
> normal. Give it more time......

I wonder what the heck the problem is? Is it the smell? The one
acting differently after the visit, provoking the other one somehow?

Or in ensoul's case, they are both at each other's throat and they
both had the same thing done.

Anyone know WHY that is happening?

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

ensoul
September 23rd 07, 03:05 AM
On Sep 22, 9:04?pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response from "blkcatgal" >:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "ensoul" > wrote in message
> >
> >
> > I had the same problem when I took my one cat to the vet. When we
> > came home, my other cat attacked the one that had been at the vet.
> > For over a week, the one cat chased the other, attacked him,
> > hissed at him, etc. Eventually, things calmed down and got back to
> > normal. Give it more time......
>
> I wonder what the heck the problem is? Is it the smell? The one
> acting differently after the visit, provoking the other one somehow?
>
> Or in ensoul's case, they are both at each other's throat and they
> both had the same thing done.
>
> Anyone know WHY that is happening?
>
> --
> -
Blkcatgal,

Thanks...Humane Society (they did the grooming) told me it's because
they were in shock, first time they had been groomed...as in the only
fur left on them is on their paws, tails, and head

But I have taken a T-shirt I worn rubbed it all over both of them,
when they get seperated almost all the time...they're in same bdrm
(not together) so they're getting each other's scent

I live in a small apartment...2 bdrm but daughter & grandduaghter are
here too making it very crowded..had to kick them out was supposed to
be a one month stay, Oct will be 5 months...I gave her a 30 day
notice actually a few more days Oct 7 she has to be out....She's
putting my housing in jeopardy
sorry got way off base

both cats alone are super affectionate, much more than usual..yes
they've always been loving...now they're kling-on's driving me up the
wall wanting to be your lap every second and trying to climb up on me
and my daughter, something they've done....odd thing I think they miss
each other

don't know what else do...the Vet had no more to offer than what all
ready was said here, Humane Society same way

lynn



There's beauty in the silver singing river,
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky,
But none of these and nothing else can match the beauty,
That I remember in my true love's eyes
~Bob Dylan

---MIKE---
September 23rd 07, 11:32 AM
I mentioned this in another thread. Where the grooming was so drastic,
they look so different that they appear to be strange cats.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

blkcatgal
September 23rd 07, 03:33 PM
I was told it was the smell, etc. But you would think that after a few days
the smell would go away. I tried rubbing both of them with the same piece
of clothing...I used an old robe of mine. Figured they would both end up
smelling like me. And I had feliway diffusers in the house. Nothing seemed
to help. My vet had no real explanation saying that that behavior usually
should last only a day or so and for it to go on for so long was kind of
unusual. She told me that the next time I brought one to the vet, I should
bring the other. Fortunately I haven't had to do this. The next time I
took the one to the vet, when I brought him home, I kept the 2 cats
separated for an hour or two, then let them together slowly. There was
still some attacking, fighting, hissing, but it lasted only a day or two
rather than over a week like the first time. Don't know why my one cat
reacts this way.....usually he is quite docile and affecionate.

I think that in ensoul's situation, it is a combination of the smells, the
fact that both cats were groomed and now look really different (no fur) and
the other people in the house are causing some issues. There's just too
much going on that the cats can't seem to relax......cats are pretty
perceptive.

S.
"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> Response from "blkcatgal" >:
>
>> "ensoul" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> almost 4 days now since they were groomed and have been at each
>>> others throats...have to use a squirt gun, that stopped working
>>> added vinegar to it, that helps but I can't put up with this
>>>
>>> I have kept them in seperate rooms, try to take turns for each
>>> cat, only can use the one bedroom..try letting one for a shot
>>> amnt of time...they have an uneasy truce but then attack time
>>>
>>> Moe the mild laid one has become the aggresor, intimidates his
>>> brother Rudy who used just a bit more dominate..they are both
>>> neutred (spelling) and have been since before I got them at 8
>>> months of age, they're almost 3
>>>
>>>
>>> I can't afford to care for Moe & Rudy, give them what they need,
>>> and it will get the Apartment owner/Manger off my back...love
>>> them dearly & it will break my heart but I have no choice, just
>>> can't take care of them anymore...I want them to stay together
>>> and Vaccations are up to date..
>>>
>>> when we got them we could afford there care, didn't know Rick (my
>>> husband) would die
>>>
>>
>> I had the same problem when I took my one cat to the vet. When we
>> came home, my other cat attacked the one that had been at the vet.
>> For over a week, the one cat chased the other, attacked him,
>> hissed at him, etc. Eventually, things calmed down and got back to
>> normal. Give it more time......
>
> I wonder what the heck the problem is? Is it the smell? The one
> acting differently after the visit, provoking the other one somehow?
>
> Or in ensoul's case, they are both at each other's throat and they
> both had the same thing done.
>
> Anyone know WHY that is happening?
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
> kidding. No I am not.

Rene S.
September 26th 07, 09:50 PM
\>
> I think that in ensoul's situation, it is a combination of the smells, the
> fact that both cats were groomed and now look really different (no fur) and
> the other people in the house are causing some issues. There's just too
> much going on that the cats can't seem to relax......cats are pretty
> perceptive.

You need to give this more time, possibly a LOT more time. I had a
similar situation last summer when one cat went to the vet and the
other one freaked out. It took me many months to get things back to
normal.

First of all, do NOT use a squirt gun, especially one with vinegar.
This is adding another negative element to an already bad situation.
Keep the cats SEPARATE right now. Swap toys and blankets that are
rubbed with each other's scent so they can smell one another, but
don't let them interact. They need to be re-introduced once things
have calmed down. Use Feliway diffusers in both areas where the cats
are. You can also add Rescue Remedy to their water bowls
(www.rescueremedy.com)

Here's an introduction on introducing cats:
http://catsinternational.org/articles/getting_a_cat/good_introduction.html