PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Fact About Indoor Cats

javawizard
September 23rd 07, 03:51 AM
The average life of an indoor cat is 17 years. The average life of a
cat that lives outdoors is 2 years. - from the Cats section of www.odd-info.com

yngver
September 26th 07, 09:53 PM
On Sep 22, 9:51 pm, javawizard > wrote:
> The average life of an indoor cat is 17 years. The average life of a
> cat that lives outdoors is 2 years. - from the Cats section ofwww.odd-info.com

That "fact' is often ballyhooed around but it is a myth.

>From http://feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_myths.aspx:

Do feral cats live short lives?
The lifespan of a feral cat is often stated as only 2-3 years. Not in
our experience. Many caretakers know of free-roaming cats that reach
12 to 15 years of age. Long-term studies are underway to determine
longevity. Preliminary data reveal that tom cats live the shortest,
but neutering them increases their lifespan to that of a spayed female
cat. Not all colony cats live to a ripe old age, but many live far
longer than the urban myth projects.

>From Alley Cat Allies, http://www.alleycat.org/visitor.html#5
"Feral cats have about the same lifespan as pet cats. "

-yngver

"yngver" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 22, 9:51 pm, javawizard > wrote:
>> The average life of an indoor cat is 17 years. The average life of a
>> cat that lives outdoors is 2 years. - from the Cats section
>> ofwww.odd-info.com
>
> That "fact' is often ballyhooed around but it is a myth.
>
>>From http://feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_myths.aspx:
>
> Do feral cats live short lives?
> The lifespan of a feral cat is often stated as only 2-3 years. Not in
> our experience. Many caretakers know of free-roaming cats that reach
> 12 to 15 years of age. Long-term studies are underway to determine
> longevity. Preliminary data reveal that tom cats live the shortest,
> but neutering them increases their lifespan to that of a spayed female
> cat. Not all colony cats live to a ripe old age, but many live far
> longer than the urban myth projects.
>
>>From Alley Cat Allies, http://www.alleycat.org/visitor.html#5
> "Feral cats have about the same lifespan as pet cats. "

I don't know, but what a great argument for encouraging people to leave
their cats out where they can be harmed.

yngver
September 27th 07, 05:52 PM
On Sep 26, 4:45 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "yngver" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Sep 22, 9:51 pm, javawizard > wrote:
> >> The average life of an indoor cat is 17 years. The average life of a
> >> cat that lives outdoors is 2 years. - from the Cats section
> >> ofwww.odd-info.com
>
> > That "fact' is often ballyhooed around but it is a myth.
>
> >>Fromhttp://feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_myths.aspx:
>
> > Do feral cats live short lives?
> > The lifespan of a feral cat is often stated as only 2-3 years. Not in
> > our experience. Many caretakers know of free-roaming cats that reach
> > 12 to 15 years of age. Long-term studies are underway to determine
> > longevity. Preliminary data reveal that tom cats live the shortest,
> > but neutering them increases their lifespan to that of a spayed female
> > cat. Not all colony cats live to a ripe old age, but many live far
> > longer than the urban myth projects.
>
> >>From Alley Cat Allies,http://www.alleycat.org/visitor.html#5
> > "Feral cats have about the same lifespan as pet cats. "
>
> I don't know, but what a great argument for encouraging people to leave
> their cats out where they can be harmed.

I suppose that is the point--most of the people presenting these
"facts" have an agenda.

The indoor/outdoor argument is longstanding and there are pros and
cons to each side, as well as fallacies.

http://www.harpsie.com/indoor_outdoor_cats.htm

-yngver

October 8th 07, 07:04 PM
Learn Something New Every Day, You can find more information at
http://catwebsite.googlepages.com