PDA

View Full Version : Peeing Outside the Box

Jean B.
September 24th 07, 11:20 AM
Mingy is now 9 1/2 years old. He has blocked once and plugged
once. He has not peed in either of his litter boxes for at
least 48 hours. He has, within the last two weeks or so,
started peeing around the house though. I brought him to the
hospital yesterday to make sure he wasn't blocked or plugged,
and, on the basis of his small bladder, they said he wasn't.
They did take a urine sample, and we'll have the results
today, IIRC.

This episode is kind-of odd to me, because Ming is not even
trying to use his potty for peeing. When he was last doing
so, I did not observe anything odd--he was in and out quickly,
didn't stop to lick, didn't then proceed to pee on the floor,
etc. In fact, the only possibly suspicious licking I have
seen was after he went to the hospital, and I thought that
might be because they had extracted urine with a needle or
because he had the alien smell on him.

Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what
might be causing this behavior. In the meantime, I was
wondering whether any of you who have had cats who started
urinating in inappropriate places have tried getting more
litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
did it help at all?

--
Jean B.

Johnna via CatKB.com
September 24th 07, 02:35 PM
Hi Jean B,
So sorry to hear that Mingy is experiencing bladder trouble. My Noel went
through three blockages in one year before we finally resolved his problem. I
can sympathize with what you are both going through. I'm no expert but
through personal experience and a lot of reading I found that some cats who
experience painful urination begin to associate the litter box with the pain
and avoid peeing in the litter. This may be the problem with Mingy. It may
help to try a new litter box in a new place to break the painful association
he has made. Best to talk with your vet after you have the results of the
tests but your idea of changing the box and its location sounds like it may
be worth a try. Best of luck with Mingy. Let us know how he gets along.
Johnna >^..^<

Jean B. wrote:
>Mingy is now 9 1/2 years old. He has blocked once and plugged
>once. He has not peed in either of his litter boxes for at
>least 48 hours. He has, within the last two weeks or so,
>started peeing around the house though. I brought him to the
>hospital yesterday to make sure he wasn't blocked or plugged,
>and, on the basis of his small bladder, they said he wasn't.
>They did take a urine sample, and we'll have the results
>today, IIRC.
>
>This episode is kind-of odd to me, because Ming is not even
>trying to use his potty for peeing. When he was last doing
>so, I did not observe anything odd--he was in and out quickly,
>didn't stop to lick, didn't then proceed to pee on the floor,
>etc. In fact, the only possibly suspicious licking I have
>seen was after he went to the hospital, and I thought that
>might be because they had extracted urine with a needle or
>because he had the alien smell on him.
>
>Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what
>might be causing this behavior. In the meantime, I was
>wondering whether any of you who have had cats who started
>urinating in inappropriate places have tried getting more
>litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
>did it help at all?

"Jean B." > wrote
> Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what might be causing
> this behavior. In the meantime, I was wondering whether any of you who
> have had cats who started urinating in inappropriate places have tried
> getting more litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
> did it help at all?

We have not tried that. We have a cat who expresses her
emotions with her bladder. She pees outside the box when
she is either unhappy with us or trying to get our attention
for some other, unfathomable reason. (I can't pretend to
know what is going on in that hard little head. She gets tons
of love and affection and play, too.)

All we have done is keep her out of the room that was her
favorite pee spot, and tried to address what might be making
her unhappy. She's a little bladder bully. (And YES, she has
been to the vet, goes several times a year for other things
and has never had any type of bladder infection. She is
hyperthyroid and has mild heart disease.

Persian
September 24th 07, 08:59 PM
On Sep 24, 6:20 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Mingy is now 9 1/2 years old. He has blocked once and plugged
> once. He has not peed in either of his litter boxes for at
> least 48 hours. He has, within the last two weeks or so,
> started peeing around the house though. I brought him to the
> hospital yesterday to make sure he wasn't blocked or plugged,
> and, on the basis of his small bladder, they said he wasn't.
> They did take a urine sample, and we'll have the results
> today, IIRC.
>
> This episode is kind-of odd to me, because Ming is not even
> trying to use his potty for peeing. When he was last doing
> so, I did not observe anything odd--he was in and out quickly,
> didn't stop to lick, didn't then proceed to pee on the floor,
> etc. In fact, the only possibly suspicious licking I have
> seen was after he went to the hospital, and I thought that
> might be because they had extracted urine with a needle or
> because he had the alien smell on him.
>
> Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what
> might be causing this behavior. In the meantime, I was
> wondering whether any of you who have had cats who started
> urinating in inappropriate places have tried getting more
> litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
> did it help at all?
>
> --
> Jean B.

You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!

Alex
http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Jean B.
September 25th 07, 01:35 PM
Johnna via CatKB.com wrote:
> Hi Jean B,
> So sorry to hear that Mingy is experiencing bladder trouble. My Noel went
> through three blockages in one year before we finally resolved his problem. I
> can sympathize with what you are both going through. I'm no expert but
> through personal experience and a lot of reading I found that some cats who
> experience painful urination begin to associate the litter box with the pain
> and avoid peeing in the litter. This may be the problem with Mingy. It may
> help to try a new litter box in a new place to break the painful association
> he has made. Best to talk with your vet after you have the results of the
> tests but your idea of changing the box and its location sounds like it may
> be worth a try. Best of luck with Mingy. Let us know how he gets along.
> Johnna >^..^<

I got the results of his urinalysis--and was most interested
to hear he had no crystals--also no UTI and good
concentration. I said "this is good and bad news", and the
vet agreed. She said it was either something physical
(necessitating bloodwork and imaging) or behavioral. I opined
that he was always so good about using the potty. (The only
other time he had peed elsewhere was when he was
blocking/plugging.) She said cats can develop behavioral
problems.

I then had some odd thoughts--one being that maybe he was mad
at me because I have been trying harder to get him to eat what
I want him to eat. Since I had just gotten good feedback on
the state of his urine, I decided to humor him. I also got
him a new litterbox and put new litter in it. He has since
used it twice--that after not using it at all for peeing for
2+ days.

Thinking about this more, the only odd behavior I have seen
from him is that he seems confused in the litter box....

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
September 25th 07, 01:38 PM
cybercat wrote:
> We have not tried that. We have a cat who expresses her
> emotions with her bladder. She pees outside the box when
> she is either unhappy with us or trying to get our attention
> for some other, unfathomable reason. (I can't pretend to
> know what is going on in that hard little head. She gets tons
> of love and affection and play, too.)
>
> All we have done is keep her out of the room that was her
> favorite pee spot, and tried to address what might be making
> her unhappy. She's a little bladder bully. (And YES, she has
> been to the vet, goes several times a year for other things
> and has never had any type of bladder infection. She is
> hyperthyroid and has mild heart disease.

Interesting. I was wondering whether he might possibly be
trying to express his unhappiness with my not giving him the
food he wants. I thought I must be crazy to think a cat would
retaliate. Maybe not though!!!!!

BTW, I didn't put boxes where I have discovered his pee. I
did put waterproof baby mats in those places though. I really
SHOULD get a waterproof mattress pad just in case....

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
September 25th 07, 01:41 PM
Persian wrote:
> You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
> Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!
>
> Alex
> http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
it would come back positive, since that would have been a
definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!

BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
are predisposed to urinary problems....

--
Jean B.

Sheelagh >o
September 25th 07, 02:54 PM
On 25 Sep, 13:41, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Persian wrote:
> > You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
> > Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!
>
> > Alex
> >http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com
>
> Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
> it would come back positive, since that would have been a
> definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!
>
> BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
> for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
> are predisposed to urinary problems....
>
> --
> Jean B.

I wonder, does he choose the same places to urinate on most of the
time-whether it be @ the bottom of the stairs or in the kitchen or
even the bedroom? The reason I ask this, is to help with damage
limitation. I had a cat that started to get a little senile in his old
age, & used to pee in all sorts of places, so what we used to do was
put down inexpensive bathroom mats down right on his favoured places
so that when he did go, @ least we were able to remove the rubber
backed mats & throw them straight in the washing machine. we had about
2 spares that we kept for the same reason. Whilst one was in the
washer, the other two were down to try & save the carpet. It worked
for us, & I hope it helps you from a practical position, if not any
other.

IMO agree, I would have thought that the urination in inappropriate
places is normally down to a UTI. Did your vet have any realistic
prognosis?
Sheelagh >"o"<

Jean B.
September 27th 07, 12:39 AM
Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> On 25 Sep, 13:41, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Persian wrote:
>>> You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
>>> Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!
>>> Alex
>>> http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com
>> Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
>> it would come back positive, since that would have been a
>> definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!
>>
>> BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
>> for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
>> are predisposed to urinary problems....
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> I wonder, does he choose the same places to urinate on most of the
> time-whether it be @ the bottom of the stairs or in the kitchen or
> even the bedroom? The reason I ask this, is to help with damage
> limitation. I had a cat that started to get a little senile in his old
> age, & used to pee in all sorts of places, so what we used to do was
> put down inexpensive bathroom mats down right on his favoured places
> so that when he did go, @ least we were able to remove the rubber
> backed mats & throw them straight in the washing machine. we had about
> 2 spares that we kept for the same reason. Whilst one was in the
> washer, the other two were down to try & save the carpet. It worked
> for us, & I hope it helps you from a practical position, if not any
> other.
>
> IMO agree, I would have thought that the urination in inappropriate
> places is normally down to a UTI. Did your vet have any realistic
> prognosis?
> Sheelagh >"o"<

I put baby mats in the two places I noticed. Otherwise, it is
kind-of random.

In the meantime, he is not eating much. It's off to the vet's
tomorrow. She said he might be traumatized from his hospital
visit. I sure hope we don't discover something awful. I LOVE
Mingy.

--
Jean B.

Sheelagh >o
September 27th 07, 03:43 PM
On 27 Sep, 00:39, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> >> Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
> >> it would come back positive, since that would have been a
> >> definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!
>
> >> BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
> >> for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
> >> are predisposed to urinary problems....
>
> >> --
> >> Jean B.
>
> > I wonder, does he choose the same places to urinate on most of the
> > time-whether it be @ the bottom of the stairs or in the kitchen or
> > even the bedroom? The reason I ask this, is to help with damage
> > limitation. I had a cat that started to get a little senile in his old
> > age, & used to pee in all sorts of places, so what we used to do was
> > put down inexpensive bathroom mats down right on his favoured places
> > so that when he did go, @ least we were able to remove the rubber
> > backed mats & throw them straight in the washing machine. we had about
> > 2 spares that we kept for the same reason. Whilst one was in the
> > washer, the other two were down to try & save the carpet. It worked
> > for us, & I hope it helps you from a practical position, if not any
> > other.
>
> > IMO agree, I would have thought that the urination in inappropriate
> > places is normally down to a UTI. Did your vet have any realistic
> > prognosis?
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> I put baby mats in the two places I noticed. Otherwise, it is
> kind-of random.
>
> In the meantime, he is not eating much. It's off to the vet's
> tomorrow. She said he might be traumatized from his hospital
> visit. I sure hope we don't discover something awful. I LOVE
> Mingy.
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

I wish you all the best. we will be thinking of you & Mingy.
Good Luck & we hope to hear some good news tomorrow,
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Jean B.
September 27th 07, 10:09 PM
Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> I wish you all the best. we will be thinking of you & Mingy.
> Good Luck & we hope to hear some good news tomorrow,
> Best Wishes,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

Thanks!

Ming's blood work came back fine. I have been out looking for
food--will settle down later to do some searches. I just am
hoping for some quick answers.

I went to an upscale pet food store and got some canned food
he hasn't tried. (The vet is not concerned about his history
of struvite crystals at this point--just getting calories into
him.) The Wellness kitten food smelled yummy to me but not to
him.

I asked for samples of dry food, so I don't have to buy and
return a million bags. The Wellness chicken initially
interested Ming, but it is very small, and he lost interest.
I then added some California Natural chicken, and he ate a bit
of that--more than I've seen him eat for 4 1/2 days, so that
is good.

In the meantime the vet called and wants to do xrays on
Monday. I'd rather let him recover more, but if he is still
not acting right, I'd better just get him in ASAP. Poor
little thing.

She mentioned trying something like Prozac if there is no
obvious physical cause, but I'd have to look into that.

--
Jean B.

Sheelagh >o
September 28th 07, 12:50 AM
On 27 Sep, 22:09, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> > I wish you all the best. we will be thinking of you & Mingy.
> > Good Luck & we hope to hear some good news tomorrow,
> > Best Wishes,
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ming's blood work came back fine. I have been out looking for
> food--will settle down later to do some searches. I just am
> hoping for some quick answers.
>
> I went to an upscale pet food store and got some canned food
> he hasn't tried. (The vet is not concerned about his history
> of struvite crystals at this point--just getting calories into
> him.) The Wellness kitten food smelled yummy to me but not to
> him.
>
> I asked for samples of dry food, so I don't have to buy and
> return a million bags. The Wellness chicken initially
> interested Ming, but it is very small, and he lost interest.
> I then added some California Natural chicken, and he ate a bit
> of that--more than I've seen him eat for 4 1/2 days, so that
> is good.
>
> In the meantime the vet called and wants to do xrays on
> Monday. I'd rather let him recover more, but if he is still
> not acting right, I'd better just get him in ASAP. Poor
> little thing.
>
> She mentioned trying something like Prozac if there is no
> obvious physical cause, but I'd have to look into that.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Jean, I understand what you are saying, & why too. However, you must
listen to the experts too. If they want x rays done, then best to get
them done out of the way. God Forbid anything is wrong with him, but
better to know now whilst something can be done. Please think of me
as an old auntie you are humouring?! I'm right here with you. Get them
done, OK? I know what I'm asking is expensive, but he is definately
worth it. You have made that clear when you talk of him
affectionately. Everyone can see that here.

When trying to get a dog to eat, most dogs normally want what you
have. Heat the meat slightly in the microwave, but test the heat
personally before serving!, or add boiled cooled off boiled water to
it. It becomes like a soup/ consume & they are getting the goodness
out of that plus extra nutrients from the meat hopefully. Like us,
Dogs like what smells good to them. by heating it ever so slightly,
they can smell it stronger & hopefully her appetite will kick in. One
thing @ a time. feed him, then have xrays, & think about what to do
after the x rays. It could be something really simple that they need
to eliminate. Try not to worry too much. Treat yourself to a long
bath, & spend some you time with Mingy. He'll appreciate your soft
company. He trusts you implicitly.

Keep in touch & let us know how he's getting on, won't you? I would
really appreciate that if you have time?
Purrs & Head Rubs,
Sheelagh>"o"<

Jean B.
September 28th 07, 01:46 AM
Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> Jean, I understand what you are saying, & why too. However, you must
> listen to the experts too. If they want x rays done, then best to get
> them done out of the way. God Forbid anything is wrong with him, but
> better to know now whilst something can be done. Please think of me
> as an old auntie you are humouring?! I'm right here with you. Get them
> done, OK? I know what I'm asking is expensive, but he is definately
> worth it. You have made that clear when you talk of him
> affectionately. Everyone can see that here.

Oh, I am not thinking about the expense. I may go "ouch" a
bit, but he is worth every penny. He just gets so stressed
out by these trips, and the vets have said he might be
reacting to the stress. Still, it will be Monday or a couple
of days later--not later than that.

> When trying to get a dog to eat, most dogs normally want what you
> have. Heat the meat slightly in the microwave, but test the heat
> personally before serving!, or add boiled cooled off boiled water to
> it. It becomes like a soup/ consume & they are getting the goodness
> out of that plus extra nutrients from the meat hopefully. Like us,
> Dogs like what smells good to them. by heating it ever so slightly,
> they can smell it stronger & hopefully her appetite will kick in.

Alas, Ming is not a dog--he is a very picky cat. In fact,
another one of my theories is that I was trying to make him
eat more of what I wanted him to eat....

One
> thing @ a time. feed him, then have xrays, & think about what to do
> after the x rays. It could be something really simple that they need
> to eliminate. Try not to worry too much. Treat yourself to a long
> bath, & spend some you time with Mingy. He'll appreciate your soft
> company. He trusts you implicitly.

I'm the only one he DOES trust, for better or for worse.

> Keep in touch & let us know how he's getting on, won't you? I would
> really appreciate that if you have time?
> Purrs & Head Rubs,
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Will do, and thanks!

--
Jean B.

Sheelagh >o
September 28th 07, 02:55 PM
On 28 Sep, 01:46, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> > Jean, I understand what you are saying, & why too. However, you must
> > listen to the experts too. If they want x rays done, then best to get
> > them done out of the way. God Forbid anything is wrong with him, but
> > better to know now whilst something can be done. Please think of me
> > as an old auntie you are humouring?! I'm right here with you. Get them
> > done, OK? I know what I'm asking is expensive, but he is definately
> > worth it. You have made that clear when you talk of him
> > affectionately. Everyone can see that here.
>
> Oh, I am not thinking about the expense. I may go "ouch" a
> bit, but he is worth every penny. He just gets so stressed
> out by these trips, and the vets have said he might be
> reacting to the stress. Still, it will be Monday or a couple
> of days later--not later than that.
>

> > When trying to get a dog to eat, most dogs normally want what you
> > have. Heat the meat slightly in the microwave, but test the heat
> > personally before serving!, or add boiled cooled off boiled water to
> > it. It becomes like a soup/ consume & they are getting the goodness
> > out of that plus extra nutrients from the meat hopefully. Like us,
> > Dogs like what smells good to them. by heating it ever so slightly,
> > they can smell it stronger & hopefully her appetite will kick in.
>
> Alas, Ming is not a dog--he is a very picky cat. In fact,
> another one of my theories is that I was trying to make him
> eat more of what I wanted him to eat....
>
> One
>
> > thing @ a time. feed him, then have xrays, & think about what to do
> > after the x rays. It could be something really simple that they need
> > to eliminate. Try not to worry too much. Treat yourself to a long
> > bath, & spend some you time with Mingy. He'll appreciate your soft
> > company. He trusts you implicitly.
>
> I'm the only one he DOES trust, for better or for worse.
>
> > Keep in touch & let us know how he's getting on, won't you? I would
> > really appreciate that if you have time?
> > Purrs & Head Rubs,
> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> Will do, and thanks!
>
> --
> Jean B.

What on earth made me write "Dog", Lol ???
Never mind, I meant to say *cat*....
Best of luck all the same,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Jean B.