PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about a Red mackerel tabby


Lisa C
September 25th 07, 06:09 AM
I was driving from up North to down South recently with my adopted
stray cat.. A lady came up to the car and was admiring him. She said
he looks like a red mackerel tabby.

Can someone please tell me more about them? I assume it is a color
and not a breed. I am relatively new to cat ownership--someone
abandoned this wonderful kitty at my cousin's place.

Thanks!

Lisa C
September 25th 07, 06:18 AM
He also has hair growing from the bottom pads of his feet. Is this
common and should I trim it?

dgk
September 25th 07, 01:43 PM
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:18:26 -0700, Lisa C >
wrote:

>He also has hair growing from the bottom pads of his feet. Is this
>common and should I trim it?

I think that many longhairs have hairy palms. My Nipsy does. He's a
big boy (17 lbs, not fat, just big). Well, maybe a little fat.

The hairy palms are supposed to make them good cold weather cats, like
a Maine Coon. Nipsy hates the cold though. He may be prepared for it,
but given a choice, heat is better. So no, don't trim the hairy palms.

Sheelagh >o
September 25th 07, 02:24 PM
On 25 Sep, 06:09, Lisa C > wrote:
> I was driving from up North to down South recently with my adopted
> stray cat.. A lady came up to the car and was admiring him. She said
> he looks like a red mackerel tabby.
>
> Can someone please tell me more about them? I assume it is a color
> and not a breed. I am relatively new to cat ownership--someone
> abandoned this wonderful kitty at my cousin's place.
>
> Thanks!

I looked up some info on red tabby points & couldn't decided whether
you wanted to see an example of one , or read something about them?

I will show you the different breeds that have introduced the mackerel
point to their breeds so far. You are right in presuming that a red
mackerel point is a colour rather than a breed. Have a look.
Personally, I have never seen one before, but that doesn't mean to say
there aren't any in the UK, & more likely to be registered colours in
the USA too.
I hope that this helps.
Sheelagh >"o"<

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=red%20mackerel%20tabby%20point&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Lisa C
September 25th 07, 05:47 PM
He looks like this kitty (Chelsea Zoiya)

http://www.reigningcats.com/Siberian/Siberian%20Home%20Page.html

I just wanted to read something about them. She also mentioned some
other name which I am kicking myself for not writing down because now
I can't remember it.

cybercat
September 25th 07, 07:09 PM
"Lisa C" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> He looks like this kitty (Chelsea Zoiya)
>
> http://www.reigningcats.com/Siberian/Siberian%20Home%20Page.html
>
> I just wanted to read something about them. She also mentioned some
> other name which I am kicking myself for not writing down because now
> I can't remember it.
>

Actually, a mackeral tabby is called that because it has straight stripes
that
come from the backbone down the sides, like a fish skeleton.

My Gracie is a mackeral tabby. If your cat has swirls or other
configurations
he is not considered a mackeral tabby.

Look here, first page bottom:

http://www.rafandsioux.com/cat_coat_color_chart.pdf

Sheelagh >o
September 26th 07, 05:06 PM
On 25 Sep, 19:09, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lisa C" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > He looks like this kitty (Chelsea Zoiya)
>
> >http://www.reigningcats.com/Siberian/Siberian%20Home%20Page.html
>
> > I just wanted to read something about them. She also mentioned some
> > other name which I am kicking myself for not writing down because now
> > I can't remember it.
>
> Actually, a mackeral tabby is called that because it has straight stripes
> that
> come from the backbone down the sides, like a fish skeleton.
>
> My Gracie is a mackerel tabby. If your cat has swirls or other
> configurations
> he is not considered a mackerel tabby.
>
> Look here, first page bottom:
>
> http://www.rafandsioux.com/cat_coat_color_chart.pdf

Wow, I had no idea that there was such a coat pattern until this
subject came up, never mind that fact that one of your's was one.
Which one is it, Boo or Gracie? It's a lovely pattern, isn't it?

Also, do you have any idea how the colouring came about? I always
wondered what gave you a soft spot for Ringo superstar, now I
understand why :o)

Mind you, I think Ringo is a Bog standard orange tabby. No speacial
markings- Just a very purr infested big bag of fur who loves tummy
tickles ( & not even a Bunny- Bucky- Back Booter from him either.
Bonus!!)
Sheelagh >"o"<