PDA

View Full Version : thinking of adding another cat......

Gail
September 27th 07, 04:51 AM
I currently have three cats. Two are strictly indoor cats (neutered males
ages 2 and 4) and one is outdoors only. The one outdoors goes in and out of
a heated garage. I saw a kitten on petfinder that I keep thinking about
(female, 8 weeks old). Any thoughts about how difficult this would be to
integrate her into my home (indoors only)? Thanks in advance.
Gail

dgk
September 27th 07, 01:35 PM
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:51:17 -0400, "Gail" > wrote:

>I currently have three cats. Two are strictly indoor cats (neutered males
>ages 2 and 4) and one is outdoors only. The one outdoors goes in and out of
>a heated garage. I saw a kitten on petfinder that I keep thinking about
>(female, 8 weeks old). Any thoughts about how difficult this would be to
>integrate her into my home (indoors only)? Thanks in advance.
>Gail

It will work out. Exactly how and when are up to the personalities of
the cats. I was at a pet store once and there were eight cats in one
big cage. Not that big either. So they can almost always work
something out.

I took a cat from outside my house and moved it in with my two boys,
both around 3 yo at the time. That was maybe 7 months ago and Espy is
still a bit ****ed off about it but tolerates Marlo. Nipsy took to her
right away. (tests and vaccinations were all done before the mixing,
of course.)

I locked her in her own room for a couple of days to get her used to
being inside and being with me. They could sniff each other through
the door and I'd open the door a bit so they could see each other.
Then I locked both boys in one room and let Marlo roam around on her
own for a bit. Then I kept watch when I finally allowed them to mix
and that was that.

What's a bit funny is that all my cats start out in the guest room (or
Cat Introduction Room), and consider it their safe spot. So whenever
any of them are feeling a bit out of sorts, they head into there and
either sit on the bed or under it. That's where they once felt safe,
and still do I guess.

Sheelagh >o
September 27th 07, 02:27 PM
On 27 Sep, 04:51, "Gail" > wrote:
> I currently have three cats. Two are strictly indoor cats (neutered males
> ages 2 and 4) and one is outdoors only. The one outdoors goes in and out of
> a heated garage. I saw a kitten on petfinder that I keep thinking about
> (female, 8 weeks old). Any thoughts about how difficult this would be to
> integrate her into my home (indoors only)? Thanks in advance.
> Gail

Knowing you, all will be well :o)
You are a conscientious person who thinks a great deal of your cat's,
& if you tell me that you are thinking of adding another to your
feline family, then I have possitive feelings about this. djk has good
advice & you know how to introduce a kitten to your home- You don't
need to be told. I'm sure that if you feel the time is right, then go
for it! You wouldn't be entertaining the thought if you thought it was
the wrong time, would you?

If it's to be an indoor kitty, then drop by the pet shop & get
yourself some feliway, & introduce them all slowly. I'm certain you
will be fine though :o)
Good Luck & Best wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<
PS: Photos please?
<Big Grin>

Gail
September 27th 07, 02:40 PM
Thanks to you both for responding!! I appreciate your input.
Gail
s.com...