PDA

View Full Version : Typical "Shelter" Kitty?

Peg Caldwell-Ott
September 27th 07, 09:20 PM
Following the death of our beloved Amaretto from diabetes (he had the
disease for 11 years, and tolerated all of our ministrations and those
of the vet exceptionally well) and kidney failure, we adopted a new
kitty, who we named Pemberton. "Pemberton" was the middle name of my
maternal grandmother, and a name that I have always liked--even though
my grandmother died very shortly after I was born--I only met her
once. Pemberton won us over very quickly--just a little cutie--a short
haired American tabby with yellow eyes to die for, and the cutest
orange patch on her nose!! She and Alino (Amaretto's surviving blue
point brother) get along fairly well despite the age difference--Alino
is just over 16 years old now and becoming quite the "senior
statesman", taking his frequent naps in the luxury of his new day bed,
getting up to eat when he likes and use the litter box. He is not
into play nearly as much any more due to his age and the onset of
arthritis (which is being treated with twice daily Cosequin and a St.
Joseph's children's aspirin every three days). Pemberton is now just
over a year old, and adores to race around the apartment and play with
anyone or anything whenever she can!! However, some of her behavior is
rather odd (at least to us), and has been described to us as "typical
shelter kitty" behavior. I just thought I would see if anyone else
has seen these sorts of things in their kitties, adopted from
shelters. BTW--Amaretto and Alino both came to us from a
breeder--Amaretto at 2 days old, and Alino at age 3 months. Pemberton
was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here in NYC, which
sends animals up for adoption to our local PetCo every other Saturday
for possible adoption to local patrons.

(1) Pemberton ADORES to eat. She weighed only just over 4 pounds when
we first adopted her in April. Today, she is just over 11 pounds!!!
She gobbles down food like a maniac--and only wet food too--she does
not like dry food and will only eat it if it has been mixed with her
wet. Don't know where Pemberton is hanging out in the apartment? Just
pop the lid off a can of her Friskies Salmon Dinner, and she will
magically appear at your elbow before you can even start to spoon the
stuff into her bowl!! She even likes to stick her nose into the spoon
and start munching before everything is out of the can too!!<VBG>
Amaretto and Alino both had healthy appetities (Alino still does,
especially for his roaster chicken breast every afternoon), but
Pemberton just eats like crazy--and always wants more!! She will even
cry for food in the middle of the night, or pounce on my husband to
wake him up so he can feed her if her bowl happens to be empty or
nearly empty. We have taken to simply stirring up the left overs in
her bowl in the wee hours, so that she does not get a fresh can on
demand at all hours!! We assume (but do not know) that she was
probably in competition for food with other kitties at North
Shore--and just had to be first in line as soon as the can was opened
in order to get her share?????

(2) Pemberton has an unusual attraction to running water, especially
water faucets, and drains. Whenever I load the dishwasher, she is
always next to me at the sink, watching every move with fascination!
She will even walk into the wet sink and sit in it after the dishes
are gone! Take a shower? Pemberton is usually sitting right up on the
rim of the tub, watching every move with intense interest. She does
not seem to mind getting splashed a bit either. Once the shower is
over, she will walk into the wet tub and stare at either the drain or
the faucet, once again with extreme interest. But oddly enough, she
rarely drinks water--only will take a sip if you put an ice cube in
the bowl so she can play with it and have a sip!! We assume that
Pemberton was probably "bathed" in between visits to PetCo and other
stores where she was "on display" for possible adoption????? She
certainly had clean fur and a very nice "shampoo" odor when she
arrived at our apartment for the first time.

(3) Pemberton plays and runs with incredible energy, jumping on things
and chasing around like mad. We call it the "see if you can run
around the apartment without letting your feet touch the floor" game,
and she is VERY good at it--much better than either Amaretto or Alino
ever were. But, once she is tuckered out, she just drops and
sleeps--anywhere!!!! Having been cat owners for so many years, we have
any number of comfy sleeping spots all over our apartment--day beds,
kitty rounds with heating pads on the base, scratching posts with
little hide-aways, etc.... but Pemberton usually ignores them. One is
more likely to find her asleep (sound asleep) on the floor, on top of
the couch back (not on a cushion), or on top of a printer or scanner!!
And she sleeps very soundly too! As I write this, she is asleep on
top of the scanner next to my computer, and even the sound of this
typing is not bothering her at all!! Not sure where this behavior
comes from, but perhaps it is again from some form of "competition"
with other kitties at the shelter before she came to us????? I rather
doubt she had access to comfy sleeping spots at the shelter, whereas
Amaretto and Alino have never known anything else than cushioned,
heated or just cozy sleeping spots!!

TIA for any replies!!

Peg

"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote
> TIA for any replies!!
>
> Peg

I think they are all different.

My shelter cat is different. She weighed 7 pounds when I brought her home (a
slim, "oriental build" gray tabby girl who had a litter of kittens at the
shelter,
1-2 years old) and she has never weighed more than 7/3/4 lbs. She is not
very interested in food, and just picks at it.

She had a lot of good-natured energy when I brought her home and
strettttttched first thing, on her side on the floor when she walked out
of the carrier. That night she chased her tail on the bed while I read.
She is the kind of cat that always looks like she is smiling at you. :)

Still, she ran from both of us, and still does, except in our bedroom or in
my office or the guest room--she sees the third level as her "territory,"
I think. The odd thing is she loves attention and petting, and if you chase
her and catch her she blisses out and cannot get enough petting.

She is very polite and mannerly--it is as though she is grateful to be here
and
worried about upsetting us. She comes and cries plaintively if he throws up,
as though she is worried about making a mess. On the other hand, she loves
to attack and destroy toilet paper rolls, and regularly captures and kills a
rubber snake and brings it to me with lots of howling and great pride in
her hunting prowess, lol

Gracie is very smart and has such an expressive face--she is personality
plus, but has impeccable manners, like a little lady. She's the most
affectionate cat I have ever had and becomes even more so over time.

Buddy's Mom
September 27th 07, 10:39 PM
I agree with Cybercat. They are all different. My shelter kitty
enjoys eating, but isn't as agressive about it as Pemberton sounds.

My shleter kitty has been with me for 2 1/2 years and still stretches
more than any cat I have ever had [he is the first one from a sheter]
and he was only at the shelter for 5 days before I adopted him!

He is the most polite kitty I have EVER had! His manners are better
than most children that I have seen. If I sit down at the breakfast
bar for cereal in the morning or lunch - he LEAVES the room and
doesn't come back until he hears me cleaning the dishes!

He understands which furniture he is allowed on and which he is not.
He seems to be very grateful and wants to do the right thing all the
time.

Some cats will eat all that you give them, whether they need it or
not. You probably need to start cutting back on his food supply.
Overweight cats get into all sorts of health problems, just like
people do.

On Sep 27, 5:05?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote
>
> > TIA for any replies!!
>
> > Peg
>
> I think they are all different.
>
> My shelter cat is different. She weighed 7 pounds when I brought her home (a
> slim, "oriental build" gray tabby girl who had a litter of kittens at the
> shelter,
> 1-2 years old) and she has never weighed more than 7/3/4 lbs. She is not
> very interested in food, and just picks at it.
>
> She had a lot of good-natured energy when I brought her home and
> strettttttched first thing, on her side on the floor when she walked out
> of the carrier. That night she chased her tail on the bed while I read.
> She is the kind of cat that always looks like she is smiling at you. :)
>
> Still, she ran from both of us, and still does, except in our bedroom or in
> my office or the guest room--she sees the third level as her "territory,"
> I think. The odd thing is she loves attention and petting, and if you chase
> her and catch her she blisses out and cannot get enough petting.
>
> She is very polite and mannerly--it is as though she is grateful to be here
> and
> worried about upsetting us. She comes and cries plaintively if he throws up,
> as though she is worried about making a mess. On the other hand, she loves
> to attack and destroy toilet paper rolls, and regularly captures and kills a
> rubber snake and brings it to me with lots of howling and great pride in
> her hunting prowess, lol
>
> Gracie is very smart and has such an expressive face--she is personality
> plus, but has impeccable manners, like a little lady. She's the most
> affectionate cat I have ever had and becomes even more so over time.

September 28th 07, 12:34 AM
In article >,
says...

> (1) Pemberton ADORES to eat. She weighed only just over 4 pounds when
> we first adopted her in April. Today, she is just over 11 pounds!!!
> She gobbles down food like a maniac--and only wet food too--she does
> not like dry food and will only eat it if it has been mixed with her
> wet. Don't know where Pemberton is hanging out in the apartment? Just
> pop the lid off a can of her Friskies Salmon Dinner, and she will
> magically appear at your elbow before you can even start to spoon the
> stuff into her bowl!! She even likes to stick her nose into the spoon
> and start munching before everything is out of the can too!!<VBG>
> Amaretto and Alino both had healthy appetities (Alino still does,
> especially for his roaster chicken breast every afternoon), but
> Pemberton just eats like crazy--and always wants more!! She will even
> cry for food in the middle of the night, or pounce on my husband to
> wake him up so he can feed her if her bowl happens to be empty or
> nearly empty. We have taken to simply stirring up the left overs in
> her bowl in the wee hours, so that she does not get a fresh can on
> demand at all hours!! We assume (but do not know) that she was
> probably in competition for food with other kitties at North
> Shore--and just had to be first in line as soon as the can was opened
> in order to get her share?????

Be careful. We had been free feeding for the longest time when we
adopted Cosimo. He was a big kitten to begin with but he blew right up
because he'd out-eat the other two cats.

My first cat Randy used to have his nose in the bag of food, or be
waiting by the bowl as the food fell out of the dish.

> (2) Pemberton has an unusual attraction to running water, especially
> water faucets, and drains. Whenever I load the dishwasher, she is
> always next to me at the sink, watching every move with fascination!
> She will even walk into the wet sink and sit in it after the dishes
> are gone! Take a shower? Pemberton is usually sitting right up on the
> rim of the tub, watching every move with intense interest. She does
> not seem to mind getting splashed a bit either. Once the shower is
> over, she will walk into the wet tub and stare at either the drain or
> the faucet, once again with extreme interest. But oddly enough, she
> rarely drinks water--only will take a sip if you put an ice cube in
> the bowl so she can play with it and have a sip!! We assume that
> Pemberton was probably "bathed" in between visits to PetCo and other
> stores where she was "on display" for possible adoption????? She
> certainly had clean fur and a very nice "shampoo" odor when she
> arrived at our apartment for the first time.

That's typical cat behavior. Many cats have an incredible attraction to
found water. Randy used to actually get in the shower with me. He wasn't
a pound kitty though.

> (3) Pemberton plays and runs with incredible energy, jumping on things
> and chasing around like mad. We call it the "see if you can run
> around the apartment without letting your feet touch the floor" game,
> and she is VERY good at it--much better than either Amaretto or Alino
> ever were. But, once she is tuckered out, she just drops and
> sleeps--anywhere!!!! Having been cat owners for so many years, we have
> any number of comfy sleeping spots all over our apartment--day beds,
> kitty rounds with heating pads on the base, scratching posts with
> little hide-aways, etc.... but Pemberton usually ignores them. One is
> more likely to find her asleep (sound asleep) on the floor, on top of
> the couch back (not on a cushion), or on top of a printer or scanner!!
> And she sleeps very soundly too! As I write this, she is asleep on
> top of the scanner next to my computer, and even the sound of this
> typing is not bothering her at all!! Not sure where this behavior
> comes from, but perhaps it is again from some form of "competition"
> with other kitties at the shelter before she came to us????? I rather
> doubt she had access to comfy sleeping spots at the shelter, whereas
> Amaretto and Alino have never known anything else than cushioned,
> heated or just cozy sleeping spots!!

At a year old there's still boundless energy. In fact most cats don't
start to really get out of the kitten stage until almost 2 years old.

After all three other cats were gone we adopted Angie. She was 3.5 years
old when we got her and she's still got quite a bit of energy but you
can tell she likes her naps.

September 28th 07, 12:38 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> I agree with Cybercat. They are all different. My shelter kitty
> enjoys eating, but isn't as agressive about it as Pemberton sounds.
>
> My shleter kitty has been with me for 2 1/2 years and still stretches
> more than any cat I have ever had [he is the first one from a sheter]
> and he was only at the shelter for 5 days before I adopted him!
>
> He is the most polite kitty I have EVER had! His manners are better
> than most children that I have seen. If I sit down at the breakfast
> bar for cereal in the morning or lunch - he LEAVES the room and
> doesn't come back until he hears me cleaning the dishes!

Angie sits next to me and waits patiently for me to finish a bowl of
cereal. I leave her < 1tbsp of milk and that's our morning ritual.

She's a little odd though. For example if we order pizza and you have a
slice in your hand she'll try to grab it. But if you offer her a piece
of meat from it, or some cheese she'll just walk away.

We suspect her prior owners were college kids. There's one other
behavior which supports that suspicion. She loves the smell of pot. If
someone lights up a joint outside she'll run to the window.

Claude V. Lucas
September 28th 07, 01:01 AM
Bubba came from the pound, and he has his quirks.

He refuses to go outside. At all. I took him out in the
yard a few days ago and he wiggled till I put him down
and then he headed straight for the door to get back inside.

Quite the reverse from most cats, I think.

He must have had a bad experience outside before he wound up in the pound.

He absolutely *hates* all other cats. He either hisses
viciously, or more usually runs away & hides.

It was pretty funny to everybody but Bubba to see a 25 pound
ex-tomcat chased under the couch by a tiny little 6 week old kitten.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
September 28th 07, 01:36 AM
Interesting that Pemberton did the "attack the toilet paper" thing
with us too, but has since tired of the game--thank goodness!!. She
also seems to know which toys are hers and which toys are Alino's!!
Odd too--Pemberton has never vomited--yet!! <VBG>

Peg

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:05:00 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote
>> TIA for any replies!!
>>
>> Peg
>>

>I think they are all different.
>
>My shelter cat is different. She weighed 7 pounds when I brought her home (a
>slim, "oriental build" gray tabby girl who had a litter of kittens at the
>shelter,
>1-2 years old) and she has never weighed more than 7/3/4 lbs. She is not
>very interested in food, and just picks at it.
>
>She had a lot of good-natured energy when I brought her home and
>strettttttched first thing, on her side on the floor when she walked out
>of the carrier. That night she chased her tail on the bed while I read.
>She is the kind of cat that always looks like she is smiling at you. :)
>
>Still, she ran from both of us, and still does, except in our bedroom or in
>my office or the guest room--she sees the third level as her "territory,"
>I think. The odd thing is she loves attention and petting, and if you chase
>her and catch her she blisses out and cannot get enough petting.
>
>She is very polite and mannerly--it is as though she is grateful to be here
>and
>worried about upsetting us. She comes and cries plaintively if he throws up,
>as though she is worried about making a mess. On the other hand, she loves
>to attack and destroy toilet paper rolls, and regularly captures and kills a
>rubber snake and brings it to me with lots of howling and great pride in
>her hunting prowess, lol
>
>Gracie is very smart and has such an expressive face--she is personality
>plus, but has impeccable manners, like a little lady. She's the most
>affectionate cat I have ever had and becomes even more so over time.

cybercat
September 28th 07, 01:48 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

>Pemberton has never vomited--yet!! <VBG>

They pick their moment. :)

-Lost
September 28th 07, 06:01 AM
Response from T >:

> We suspect her prior owners were college kids. There's one other
> behavior which supports that suspicion. She loves the smell of
> pot. If someone lights up a joint outside she'll run to the
> window.

Sure, someone outside, huh? ; )

No, seriously though, I thought all cats had a predilection for plants
in general. Or is that an entirely catnip concept?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
September 28th 07, 06:26 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>Pemberton has never vomited--yet!! <VBG>
>>
>> They pick their moment. :)
>>

> It is usually about 4 am when you have only have about 3 hours of sleep
> and you have to get up in an hour

hahaha! This week, ten minutes before I needed to leave for an appointment,
Gracie made a little howl, jumped onto my briefcase, knocked it horizontal,
and threw up copious amounts of liquidy vomit onto it. She had gotten into
the plant in the bathroom. I finally trashed the plant. :)

Meghan Noecker
September 28th 07, 09:43 AM
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:34:35 -0400, T >
wrote:

>Be careful. We had been free feeding for the longest time when we
>adopted Cosimo. He was a big kitten to begin with but he blew right up
>because he'd out-eat the other two cats.

Same thing when I got Jay Jay. He was turned in by a lady who was
tired of returning him to the neighbor. He was food crazy when I got
him, so I had to pull the kibble even though we had always free fed
all of our cats.

He was 12.5 lbs when I got him and gained quickly. Part of it was that
he was still growing. He turned out to be a Ragdoll, so he was younger
than what we were told. He got up to 20lbs by the time we found the
right weight loss plan for him.

Larger kibble, so it took him longer to eat and satisfied him better.
He went down and settled at 17 lbs which seems to be right for him. He
is hefty, but not hanging down or sticking out like before. And if I
dig through his fur, I can feel a little bit of rib in there.

Once he settled down, I was able to return to free feeding. He has
kibble available 24/7 and gets canned food twice a day. I think it
took about a year to transition him and have him settle down and trust
that another meal would always come.

>My first cat Randy used to have his nose in the bag of food, or be
>waiting by the bowl as the food fell out of the dish.

Jay Jay sits by the feeding station when it is time for the canned
food. And he comes and sits on the keyboard tray to let me know when
the kibble is low (lonely kibbles cannot be eaten, they must have lots
of friends).

We just discovered a treat he likes (bonita flakes). He has never
shown interest in any kind of treat, but he loves these. So, I am
using them to entice him into being a lap and bed kitty. I know there
is a cuddle boy inside, but he is still a bit cautious since he was
trained off furniture by the previous owner. He is also wary of my bed
since it is a waterbed. But he has been a brave boy with the bonita
flakes as incentive.

-Lost
September 28th 07, 06:02 PM
Response from Meghan Noecker >:

> We just discovered a treat he likes (bonita flakes). He has never
> shown interest in any kind of treat, but he loves these. So, I am
> using them to entice him into being a lap and bed kitty. I know
> there is a cuddle boy inside, but he is still a bit cautious since
> he was trained off furniture by the previous owner. He is also
> wary of my bed since it is a waterbed. But he has been a brave boy
> with the bonita flakes as incentive.

What's not to like? Dried fish flakes are yummy.

*making mental note to see if Gabby likes them too*

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

September 30th 07, 04:02 AM
In article >,
says...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message
> >>
> >>Pemberton has never vomited--yet!! <VBG>
> >
> > They pick their moment. :)
> >

> It is usually about 4 am when you have only have about 3 hours of sleep and
> you have to get up in an hour

And of course they're very strategic about the whole thing and they'll
vomit right in your walk path.

September 30th 07, 04:05 AM
In article >,
says...
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:34:35 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>

> >Be careful. We had been free feeding for the longest time when we
> >adopted Cosimo. He was a big kitten to begin with but he blew right up
> >because he'd out-eat the other two cats.
> >

> Same thing when I got Jay Jay. He was turned in by a lady who was
> tired of returning him to the neighbor. He was food crazy when I got
> him, so I had to pull the kibble even though we had always free fed
> all of our cats.
>
> He was 12.5 lbs when I got him and gained quickly. Part of it was that
> he was still growing. He turned out to be a Ragdoll, so he was younger
> than what we were told. He got up to 20lbs by the time we found the
> right weight loss plan for him.
>
> Larger kibble, so it took him longer to eat and satisfied him better.
> He went down and settled at 17 lbs which seems to be right for him. He
> is hefty, but not hanging down or sticking out like before. And if I
> dig through his fur, I can feel a little bit of rib in there.
>
> Once he settled down, I was able to return to free feeding. He has
> kibble available 24/7 and gets canned food twice a day. I think it
> took about a year to transition him and have him settle down and trust
> that another meal would always come.
>

> >My first cat Randy used to have his nose in the bag of food, or be
> >waiting by the bowl as the food fell out of the dish.
> >

> Jay Jay sits by the feeding station when it is time for the canned
> food. And he comes and sits on the keyboard tray to let me know when
> the kibble is low (lonely kibbles cannot be eaten, they must have lots
> of friends).
>
> We just discovered a treat he likes (bonita flakes). He has never
> shown interest in any kind of treat, but he loves these. So, I am
> using them to entice him into being a lap and bed kitty. I know there
> is a cuddle boy inside, but he is still a bit cautious since he was
> trained off furniture by the previous owner. He is also wary of my bed
> since it is a waterbed. But he has been a brave boy with the bonita
> flakes as incentive.

A waterbed! I've had bad experiences with cats and waterbeds. Angie is
not allowed in the bedroom. I still have a minor allergic reaction
though mostly it's just itchy eyes.

It's odd though, one cat that we had named Emily didn't trigger a
reaction. I miss that cat.

I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to acclimate. We'd
had Emily since she was a six week old kitten with ring-worm and real
worms.

September 30th 07, 04:11 AM
In article >,
says...
> Response from T >:
>
> > We suspect her prior owners were college kids. There's one other
> > behavior which supports that suspicion. She loves the smell of
> > pot. If someone lights up a joint outside she'll run to the
> > window.
>
> Sure, someone outside, huh? ; )
>
> No, seriously though, I thought all cats had a predilection for plants
> in general. Or is that an entirely catnip concept?

Seriously - it's a regular thing in the city lately. The cops only bust
the big time dealers but the regular users they leave alone. And I can
only see it getting enforced less and less since we now have medical
marijuana in RI.

I think cats do like certain plants. Angie went absolutely insane over
the catnip plant I had, until she got greedy one day and managed to kill
the plant. Oh well.

The pot/marijuana thing is interesting though. My other cats wouldn't
respond to it at all.

Meghan Noecker
September 30th 07, 08:49 AM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:02:48 -0400, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> > They pick their moment. :)
>> >

>> It is usually about 4 am when you have only have about 3 hours of sleep and
>> you have to get up in an hour
>>

>And of course they're very strategic about the whole thing and they'll
>vomit right in your walk path.

I just stepped in a hairball a few days ago. Ick.

Although I must say, I would rather they puke in the walkway than on
my bed. Fiona would pick the spot where all my blankets were folded
back and layered so that she could hit all layers on one shot.

And Maynard tried to puke ON me once. I was sleeping on my stomach,
and I awoke to that sound that signals a hairball coming. I realized
he was on my back, and there were no covers between us. I had the
thought of puke on my shirt and no way to get out of it, and I flipped
him onto the floor. I did apologize, but I was relieved not to be
wearing it.

Meghan Noecker
September 30th 07, 08:59 AM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:05:38 -0400, T >
wrote:

>A waterbed! I've had bad experiences with cats and waterbeds. Angie is
>not allowed in the bedroom. I still have a minor allergic reaction
>though mostly it's just itchy eyes.

Yep. I've had it over 15 years now. During the first year, I did have
a couple pinprick holes that were easy to fix. Since then, nothing at
all.

I do keep a blanket below my sheet so that there is a little
protection for the matress. But the cats don't usually run around
with sharp claws on the bed. I do kepe them trimmed, and most of the
time on the bed, they are sleeping or cuddling.

-Lost
September 30th 07, 10:42 AM
Response from T >:

> In article >,
> says...
>> Response from T >:
>>
>> > We suspect her prior owners were college kids. There's one
>> > other behavior which supports that suspicion. She loves the
>> > smell of pot. If someone lights up a joint outside she'll run
>> > to the window.
>>
>> Sure, someone outside, huh? ; )
>>
>> No, seriously though, I thought all cats had a predilection for
>> plants in general. Or is that an entirely catnip concept?
>>

> Seriously - it's a regular thing in the city lately. The cops only
> bust the big time dealers but the regular users they leave alone.
> And I can only see it getting enforced less and less since we now
> have medical marijuana in RI.
>
> I think cats do like certain plants. Angie went absolutely insane
> over the catnip plant I had, until she got greedy one day and
> managed to kill the plant. Oh well.
>
> The pot/marijuana thing is interesting though. My other cats
> wouldn't respond to it at all.

The few stories I have heard about marijuana were of dogs eating it
and cats bathing in it.

I could see the headlines now, "Local Man Charged With Intent To
Distribute To Animals." Or even "Man Claims 100 Pot Plants Were
Medicinal Cat Remedy."

"Your Honor, my cat needs this weed for the proper cat-ification of
his cat-like, cat-ness. Without it he will surely suffer a cat-
astrophe."

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
September 30th 07, 10:47 AM
Response from T >:

> I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to
> acclimate. We'd had Emily since she was a six week old kitten with
> ring-worm and real worms.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter. What do you mean, "...and real
worms."?

I assume you meant the intestinal kind as opposed to ringworm (the
fungal infection).

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

jmc
September 30th 07, 12:06 PM
Suddenly, without warning, T exclaimed (9/30/2007 12:35 PM):

> A waterbed! I've had bad experiences with cats and waterbeds. Angie is
> not allowed in the bedroom. I still have a minor allergic reaction
> though mostly it's just itchy eyes.
>
> It's odd though, one cat that we had named Emily didn't trigger a
> reaction. I miss that cat.
>
> I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to acclimate. We'd
> had Emily since she was a six week old kitten with ring-worm and real
> worms.

Not necessarily. I've had Meep 11 years now, and just recently
developed an allergic reaction to her. Didn't even realize it until
this vacation - a week with no itchy eyes or runny nose, as soon as I
get home, both start up. Damn. Where's that Loratadine?

jmc

In article >,
says...
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:02:48 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...

> >> It is usually about 4 am when you have only have about 3 hours of sleep and
> >> you have to get up in an hour
> >>

> >And of course they're very strategic about the whole thing and they'll
> >vomit right in your walk path.
>

> I just stepped in a hairball a few days ago. Ick.
>
> Although I must say, I would rather they puke in the walkway than on
> my bed. Fiona would pick the spot where all my blankets were folded
> back and layered so that she could hit all layers on one shot.
>
> And Maynard tried to puke ON me once. I was sleeping on my stomach,
> and I awoke to that sound that signals a hairball coming. I realized
> he was on my back, and there were no covers between us. I had the
> thought of puke on my shirt and no way to get out of it, and I flipped
> him onto the floor. I did apologize, but I was relieved not to be
> wearing it.

Cats are funny like that. I think alot of it has to do with comfort.
They'll puke where they're most comfortable doing so.

In article >,
says...
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:05:38 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
> >A waterbed! I've had bad experiences with cats and waterbeds. Angie is
> >not allowed in the bedroom. I still have a minor allergic reaction
> >though mostly it's just itchy eyes.
> >

> Yep. I've had it over 15 years now. During the first year, I did have
> a couple pinprick holes that were easy to fix. Since then, nothing at
> all.
>
> I do keep a blanket below my sheet so that there is a little
> protection for the matress. But the cats don't usually run around
> with sharp claws on the bed. I do kepe them trimmed, and most of the
> time on the bed, they are sleeping or cuddling.

When I think about it my problem was mostly kittens. They have needle
sharp little claws. But it's still a firm rule that they're not allowed
in the bedroom.

In article >,
says...
> Response from T >:
>
> > In article >,
> > says...

> >> Sure, someone outside, huh? ; )
> >>
> >> No, seriously though, I thought all cats had a predilection for
> >> plants in general. Or is that an entirely catnip concept?
> >>

> > Seriously - it's a regular thing in the city lately. The cops only
> > bust the big time dealers but the regular users they leave alone.
> > And I can only see it getting enforced less and less since we now
> > have medical marijuana in RI.
> >
> > I think cats do like certain plants. Angie went absolutely insane
> > over the catnip plant I had, until she got greedy one day and
> > managed to kill the plant. Oh well.
> >
> > The pot/marijuana thing is interesting though. My other cats
> > wouldn't respond to it at all.
>
> The few stories I have heard about marijuana were of dogs eating it
> and cats bathing in it.
>
> I could see the headlines now, "Local Man Charged With Intent To
> Distribute To Animals." Or even "Man Claims 100 Pot Plants Were
> Medicinal Cat Remedy."
>
> "Your Honor, my cat needs this weed for the proper cat-ification of
> his cat-like, cat-ness. Without it he will surely suffer a cat-
> astrophe."

Laugh all you want but the way the RI Medical Marijuana law is written,
either the person using can grow up to 12 plants, or they can select
someone to grow it for them.

I can see this one attracting the attention of the feds very soon.

In article >,
says...
> Response from T >:
>
> > I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to
> > acclimate. We'd had Emily since she was a six week old kitten with
> > ring-worm and real worms.
>
> Excuse my ignorance on the matter. What do you mean, "...and real
> worms."?
>
> I assume you meant the intestinal kind as opposed to ringworm (the
> fungal infection).

Yes intestinal worms. They looked like little bits of rice so at six
weeks old little Emily got de-wormed.

In article >,
says...
> Suddenly, without warning, T exclaimed (9/30/2007 12:35 PM):
>
> > A waterbed! I've had bad experiences with cats and waterbeds. Angie is
> > not allowed in the bedroom. I still have a minor allergic reaction
> > though mostly it's just itchy eyes.
> >
> > It's odd though, one cat that we had named Emily didn't trigger a
> > reaction. I miss that cat.
> >
> > I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to acclimate. We'd
> > had Emily since she was a six week old kitten with ring-worm and real
> > worms.
> >

> Not necessarily. I've had Meep 11 years now, and just recently
> developed an allergic reaction to her. Didn't even realize it until
> this vacation - a week with no itchy eyes or runny nose, as soon as I
> get home, both start up. Damn. Where's that Loratadine?
>
> jmc

Interesting. In my casae I had so many allergies as a kid and a fairly
smart allergist. I got desensitized to many of the things I was allergic
to like stone fruits, etc. In fact on the scratch test the only group
that really swells up is the trees and grasses.

"T" > wrote
> Cats are funny like that. I think alot of it has to do with comfort.
> They'll puke where they're most comfortable doing so.

Gracie wakes me sometimes crying, with the kitty equivalent of
"hey! *poke poke poke*" When I look around I see that she
has thrownup IN the window sill where she likes to watch
the birds and chipmunks and such, so she can't sit there. She
clearly knows who serves who, regardless of her southern
lady politeness. :)

-Lost
October 1st 07, 04:37 AM
Response from T >:

> In article >,
> says...
>> Response from T >:
>>
>> > In article >,
>> > says...

>> > Seriously - it's a regular thing in the city lately. The cops
>> > only bust the big time dealers but the regular users they leave
>> > alone. And I can only see it getting enforced less and less
>> > since we now have medical marijuana in RI.
>> >
>> > I think cats do like certain plants. Angie went absolutely
>> > insane over the catnip plant I had, until she got greedy one
>> > day and managed to kill the plant. Oh well.
>> >
>> > The pot/marijuana thing is interesting though. My other cats
>> > wouldn't respond to it at all.
>>
>> The few stories I have heard about marijuana were of dogs eating
>> it and cats bathing in it.
>>
>> I could see the headlines now, "Local Man Charged With Intent To
>> Distribute To Animals." Or even "Man Claims 100 Pot Plants Were
>> Medicinal Cat Remedy."
>>
>> "Your Honor, my cat needs this weed for the proper cat-ification
>> of his cat-like, cat-ness. Without it he will surely suffer a
>> cat- astrophe."
>>

> Laugh all you want but the way the RI Medical Marijuana law is
> written, either the person using can grow up to 12 plants, or they
> can select someone to grow it for them.
>
> I can see this one attracting the attention of the feds very soon.

Wow. That seriously is NUTS. And you are right, the FBI is going to
be forced to do something. I mean, that basically allows anyone to
grow pot. Yeah, I got a prescription and I have 4 different people
growing 3 plants a piece for me. Or some other "odd" use of the law.

That is like the pipe shop in this area where the owner claimed that
everything in his shop was tobacco only, yet he also sold HUNDREDS of
pipes that could ONLY be used to smoke methamphetamines! (Or
basically ones that could not burn tobacco effectively, but rather
"cook" the chemicals.)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 04:38 AM
Response from T >:

> In article >,
> says...
>> Response from T >:
>>
>> > I think in the case of Angie she's so new that I have to
>> > acclimate. We'd had Emily since she was a six week old kitten
>> > with ring-worm and real worms.
>>
>> Excuse my ignorance on the matter. What do you mean, "...and
>> real worms."?
>>
>> I assume you meant the intestinal kind as opposed to ringworm
>> (the fungal infection).
>>

> Yes intestinal worms. They looked like little bits of rice so at
> six weeks old little Emily got de-wormed.

Ah, OK. I am still getting used to having a kitty so I was not sure
if there was another type I should be on the lookout for.

Thanks, T.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 04:54 AM
Response from T >:

>> Not necessarily. I've had Meep 11 years now, and just recently
>> developed an allergic reaction to her. Didn't even realize it
>> until this vacation - a week with no itchy eyes or runny nose, as
>> soon as I get home, both start up. Damn. Where's that
>> Loratadine?
>>

> Interesting. In my casae I had so many allergies as a kid and a
> fairly smart allergist. I got desensitized to many of the things I
> was allergic to like stone fruits, etc. In fact on the scratch
> test the only group that really swells up is the trees and
> grasses.

I am so very grateful that the only allergies I have inherited from
my mum was mild hay fever. So basically at the start of every hot
summer I sneeze six to ten times a day. *shrugs*

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 04:56 AM
Response from "cybercat" >:

> "T" > wrote
>> Cats are funny like that. I think alot of it has to do with
>> comfort. They'll puke where they're most comfortable doing so.
>>

> Gracie wakes me sometimes crying, with the kitty equivalent of
> "hey! *poke poke poke*" When I look around I see that she
> has thrownup IN the window sill where she likes to watch
> the birds and chipmunks and such, so she can't sit there. She
> clearly knows who serves who, regardless of her southern
> lady politeness. :)

OK... I have seen enough puke talk to ask. What luck have you lads
and lasses had with that anti-puke (hairball) stuff I have seen
floating around.

Does it actually work?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Meghan Noecker
October 1st 07, 09:29 AM
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:51:00 -0400, T >
wrote:

>When I think about it my problem was mostly kittens. They have needle
>sharp little claws. But it's still a firm rule that they're not allowed
>in the bedroom.

I'm actually working very hard to get my cat on the bed. All my
prevois cats have been bed kitties, even under the cover kitties. My
nephew's cat is really mine (I do the food, litter, etc), so he sleeps
on my bed.

But my own current kitty was trained off furniture by his previous
owner and is also afraid of my waterbed. I just recently found a treat
he really likes, so I am using them to get him on the bed. I am hoping
that he will associate the bed with good things, and get used to it
and start coming up on his own.

Meghan Noecker
October 1st 07, 09:33 AM
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:50:10 -0400, T >
wrote:

>Cats are funny like that. I think alot of it has to do with comfort.
>They'll puke where they're most comfortable doing so.

Yes, I agree. They all go to the bed (except Jay Jay) since that is
where they are comfortable. That's what we people do too. We go to bed
when we feel sick. I just haven't convinced them yet that they are
supposed to learn over the edge and aim into the garbage can :)

When Kira was young, she got seperation anxiety really bad. Anytime I
went away overnight, I would come home to a bed with urine, poop,
diarrhea, and puke. After the second time, I got smart and bought a
vinyl tablecloth. I put it on top of the bed with fuzzy side up and
taossed a couple throw blankets on top for comfort. When I got home, I
could peel off the mess, throw it in the laundry and go to bed in a
clean bed. No more waiting 4 hours to wash and dry the bedding. And
once I was home, she returned to normal.

It took a few years to completely go away, but she did get over it.
And I never blamed her. She wasvery attached to me, sometimes
literally.

Meghan Noecker
October 1st 07, 09:37 AM
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:56:32 -0500, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>OK... I have seen enough puke talk to ask. What luck have you lads
>and lasses had with that anti-puke (hairball) stuff I have seen
>floating around.
>
>Does it actually work?

If they are having hairballs, it does help. It coats teh stomach to
help the stuff pass through the system better. Older cats sometimes
need more help since their system doesn't work as well.

But I don't use it in a regular basis. Most cases of puke around here
are caused by eating too fast, eating something bad (the dog gets into
the trash sometimes), or anxiety.

October 1st 07, 08:08 PM
In article >,
says...
> Response from T >:
>
> >> Not necessarily. I've had Meep 11 years now, and just recently
> >> developed an allergic reaction to her. Didn't even realize it
> >> until this vacation - a week with no itchy eyes or runny nose, as
> >> soon as I get home, both start up. Damn. Where's that
> >> Loratadine?
> >>

> > Interesting. In my casae I had so many allergies as a kid and a
> > fairly smart allergist. I got desensitized to many of the things I
> > was allergic to like stone fruits, etc. In fact on the scratch
> > test the only group that really swells up is the trees and
> > grasses.
>
> I am so very grateful that the only allergies I have inherited from
> my mum was mild hay fever. So basically at the start of every hot
> summer I sneeze six to ten times a day. *shrugs*

My tree/grass allergy mens that from the beginning of May to the last
week or so of June I'm miserable without being medicated.

Then late August to the first or second week of October.

So five months out of the year I'm fairly miserable without the
following:

180MG of Fexofenadine
5MG of prednisone
and my Patanol eye drops.

October 1st 07, 08:11 PM
In article >,
says...
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:50:10 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
> >Cats are funny like that. I think alot of it has to do with comfort.
> >They'll puke where they're most comfortable doing so.
>

> Yes, I agree. They all go to the bed (except Jay Jay) since that is
> where they are comfortable. That's what we people do too. We go to bed
> when we feel sick. I just haven't convinced them yet that they are
> supposed to learn over the edge and aim into the garbage can :)
>
> When Kira was young, she got seperation anxiety really bad. Anytime I
> went away overnight, I would come home to a bed with urine, poop,
> diarrhea, and puke. After the second time, I got smart and bought a
> vinyl tablecloth. I put it on top of the bed with fuzzy side up and
> taossed a couple throw blankets on top for comfort. When I got home, I
> could peel off the mess, throw it in the laundry and go to bed in a
> clean bed. No more waiting 4 hours to wash and dry the bedding. And
> once I was home, she returned to normal.
>
> It took a few years to completely go away, but she did get over it.
> And I never blamed her. She wasvery attached to me, sometimes
> literally.

Interesting, when Emily was alive she too had a bit of separation
anxiety if you were gone for more than a few hours. She was primarily
the SO's cat so what she'd do is seek out items of his clothing and tag
them. Luckily the washing machine was just a few steps away but we were
never able to break her of the habit. Instead we just made it so she
couldn't get at any clothing to tag. And it was always HIS clothes, not
mine.