PDA

View Full Version : 3 year-old suddenly spraying

Maxine
September 27th 07, 09:19 PM
Hi. About a year ago, I adopted male and female siblings who are now 3
years old. Both were neutered as kittens. A couple of weeks ago, I
witnessed the male spraying outdoors, but didn't worry too much about it.
Last night he sprayed indoors for the first time since we've had him.
Yikes! What could be causing this sudden change in behavior and what can we
do about it?

Thanks,
Maxine

Gail
September 27th 07, 10:07 PM
He should be checked for a urinary tract infection.
Gail
"Maxine" > wrote in message
7.102...
> Hi. About a year ago, I adopted male and female siblings who are now 3
> years old. Both were neutered as kittens. A couple of weeks ago, I
> witnessed the male spraying outdoors, but didn't worry too much about it.
> Last night he sprayed indoors for the first time since we've had him.
> Yikes! What could be causing this sudden change in behavior and what can
> we
> do about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Maxine

Sheelagh >o
September 29th 07, 07:40 PM
On 27 Sep, 21:19, Maxine > wrote:
> Hi. About a year ago, I adopted male and female siblings who are now 3
> years old. Both were neutered as kittens. A couple of weeks ago, I
> witnessed the male spraying outdoors, but didn't worry too much about it.
> Last night he sprayed indoors for the first time since we've had him.
> Yikes! What could be causing this sudden change in behavior and what can we
> do about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Maxine

Most males that are not neutered @ the right age (ie: not neutered
before reaching sexual maturity), then in the vast majority of
incidents, they spray to cover the smell of a prior tom cat who has
been in his area. As cat's sense of smell is so superior to our own,
we can't smell what they can. All he is trying to do is set out his
territory. I know that this doesn't really help out, but it does go
someway to explaining why he does it.

You have two choices. One, follow Matthew's advise. Or two, get some
tom cat urine removal fluid. there are several on the market that
would suffice. I am providing a link to one product, but there are
many on the market to choose from. I suggest a quick search on the net
& I'm certain that you will find one that is suitable for you.

http://www.urine-off.co.uk/

You also need a back light to be able to spot the areas that are
affected, ( if you can't see of smell them already?) As soon as the
smell goes, the chances are, so will the reason for your cat's desire
to remark it for you.
I hope this works for you.

Silknsox

---MIKE---
September 29th 07, 08:45 PM
Are you really sure he is spraying? Sometimes they shake their rear
ends as if they are spraying but it is only an expression of happiness.
Tiger does this every night when I am giving him his three pieces of
Friskies Dental Diet. They call it "happy tail".

---MIKE---