PDA

View Full Version : Identify Gabby for me, please?

-Lost
September 29th 07, 06:12 AM
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg

Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area I am
guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to what she
could be.

Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
Although I doubt they will listen.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Meghan Noecker
September 29th 07, 08:21 AM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg

THere are several breeds with tabby in them.

You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her temperment
and also see her adult build.

Sheelagh >o
September 29th 07, 04:11 PM
On 29 Sep, 06:12, "-Lost" > wrote:
> http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area I am
> guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to what she
> could be.
>
> Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> Although I doubt they will listen.
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

How coincidental. I*think*, it is possible that she is a cream
mackerel tabby x by the look of her. I can't be certain of course, but
this I can tell you- She is one really pretty cat & I think she will
be a beautiful cat when she grows up too. I'm going to give you a link
to a cream mackerel tabby, so that you can see for yourself, & assume
what you will. It doesn't really matter what she is, but I know what
you mean. Megan was right about the character traits too. They do come
into play as they get older. either way, you are a lucky man- you have
a really pretty cat there in Gabby. Well done :o)
Sheelagh>"o"<

Sheelagh >o
September 29th 07, 04:15 PM
On 29 Sep, 08:21, Meghan Noecker > wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
>
> > wrote:
> >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> THere are several breeds with tabby in them.
>
> You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her temperament
> and also see her adult build.

Sugar!!
I meant to add a link for you to compare. This is it:

http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm

Scroll down to cream & red mackerel colours & compare yourself to see
what you think, OK? Apologies,
sheelagh >"o"<

mlbriggs
September 29th 07, 05:41 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, -Lost wrote:

> http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area I am
> guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to what she
> could be.
>
> Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> Although I doubt they will listen.

That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of Alley Cat.
She looks like a darling. MLB

Sheelagh >o
September 29th 07, 06:53 PM
On 29 Sep, 17:41, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, -Lost wrote:
> >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> > Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area I am
> > guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to what she
> > could be.
>
> > Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> > Although I doubt they will listen.
>
> That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of Alley Cat.
> She looks like a darling. MLB

> That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of Alley Cat.
> She looks like a darling.

I thought so too. She is ever so pretty, whatever her origins were,
she is a little sweet heart, isn't she? You can tell your cousin that
she is no raccoon @ all. She is very much a fancy little madam who
deserves the title of Wonder-Cat...& if you tell him an English woman
told you, he can laugh & slap his thigh's whilst he is @ it, Lol :o)

Just out of interest, if anyone knows- what is the difference between
an American Short haired kitty, & a British short haired kitty? Is it
simply the amber eye's, or is there another reason to differentiate
between them, apart from that?

Sheelagh>"o"<

mlbriggs
September 29th 07, 11:50 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:53:17 -0700, Sheelagh >o< wrote:

> On 29 Sep, 17:41, mlbriggs > wrote:
>> [quoted text muted]
>

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> I thought so too. She is ever so pretty, whatever her origins were,
> she is a little sweet heart, isn't she? You can tell your cousin that
> she is no raccoon @ all. She is very much a fancy little madam who
> deserves the title of Wonder-Cat...& if you tell him an English woman
> told you, he can laugh & slap his thigh's whilst he is @ it, Lol :o)
>
> Just out of interest, if anyone knows- what is the difference between
> an American Short haired kitty, & a British short haired kitty? Is it
> simply the amber eye's, or is there another reason to differentiate
> between them, apart from that?
>
> Sheelagh>"o"<

In this case, I would say the country of origin. MLB

Suzie-Q[_2_]
September 30th 07, 12:21 AM
In article . com>,
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:

> On 29 Sep, 17:41, mlbriggs > wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, -Lost wrote:
> > >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
> >
> > > Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area I am
> > > guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to what she
> > > could be.
> >
> > > Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> > > Although I doubt they will listen.
> >
> > That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of Alley Cat.
> > She looks like a darling. MLB
>

> > That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of Alley Cat.
> > She looks like a darling.
>
> I thought so too. She is ever so pretty, whatever her origins were,
> she is a little sweet heart, isn't she? You can tell your cousin that
> she is no raccoon @ all. She is very much a fancy little madam who
> deserves the title of Wonder-Cat...& if you tell him an English woman
> told you, he can laugh & slap his thigh's whilst he is @ it, Lol :o)
>
> Just out of interest, if anyone knows- what is the difference between
> an American Short haired kitty, & a British short haired kitty? Is it
> simply the amber eye's, or is there another reason to differentiate
> between them, apart from that?
>
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Their faces are different. Look up some pix on google.

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

September 30th 07, 04:33 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> On 29 Sep, 08:21, Meghan Noecker > wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
> >
> > > wrote:
> > >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
> >
> > THere are several breeds with tabby in them.
> >
> > You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her temperament
> > and also see her adult build.
>
> Sugar!!
> I meant to add a link for you to compare. This is it:
>
> http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm
>
> Scroll down to cream & red mackerel colours & compare yourself to see
> what you think, OK? Apologies,
> sheelagh >"o"<

Interestingly Angie looks just like a Red Mackerel Tabby. She's got
white frosting on the paws as well as the little white on the chest and
belly. The SO has nicknamed her Miss Clairol #29 though.

When I saw her at the pound I knew she was the cat I wanted. Right next
to her cage was a very friendly male cat with approximately the same
coloring/markings but no tail. But there was just something about Angie,
which isn't her original name but she's taken nicely to it.

We've had her for 8 months now and she's definitely settled in to house
kitty mode.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 05:56 AM
Response from "-Lost" >:

> http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area
> I am guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to
> what she could be.
>
> Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> Although I doubt they will listen.

Ack, I totally forgot to ask... does anyone have any idea how old Gabby
is based on the pictures? My guess was 3 to 4 months.

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 05:58 AM
Response from Meghan Noecker >:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
> > wrote:
>
>>http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> THere are several breeds with tabby in them.
>
> You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her
> temperment and also see her adult build.

Thanks, Meghan. Do you have any good resources on temperaments and
breeds?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 06:00 AM
Response from "Sheelagh >o<" >:

> On 29 Sep, 08:21, Meghan Noecker >
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>>
>> THere are several breeds with tabby in them.
>>
>> You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her
>> temperament and also see her adult build.
>
> Sugar!!
> I meant to add a link for you to compare. This is it:
>
> http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm
>
> Scroll down to cream & red mackerel colours & compare yourself to
> see what you think, OK? Apologies,
> sheelagh >"o"<

Cool, thanks for the link! Those are some pretty kitties.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 1st 07, 06:05 AM
Response from mlbriggs >:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, -Lost wrote:
>
>> http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>>
>> Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area
>> I am guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to
>> what she could be.
>>
>> Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
>> Although I doubt they will listen.
>

> That is an American short hair Tabby Cat -- the best kind of
> Alley Cat. She looks like a darling. MLB

Thanks, MLB. Excuse the ignorance please, but is that like a
specific breed name or is it a generic term?

She REALLY looks like a Cream Mackerel so I was not sure if that made
her an American Short-Haired Cream Mackerel or just flat out an
American Short Hair.

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Meghan Noecker
October 1st 07, 09:49 AM
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:58:01 -0500, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>Response from Meghan Noecker >:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:12:42 -0500, "-Lost"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>>
>> THere are several breeds with tabby in them.
>>
>> You'll get more an idea of possible breeds as you learn her
>> temperment and also see her adult build.
>
>Thanks, Meghan. Do you have any good resources on temperaments and
>breeds?

You can do a search for "cat breeds" or CFA and TICA to find websites
with the descriptions for the breeds. Or check out a nice cat book at
a the store or library. I photograph cats at the shows, so I get to
see examples of a lot of breeds that I wouldn't normall have it home.

Some breeds are more active and some are more laid back. I actually
had a Rex bounce off teh wall of my canopy because he lept off the
table with no thought of what was beyond. Later, another Rex lept off
the table and landed on the floor, surprise! I can always expect a
wild session when I am photographing one of them.

On the other hand, getting a Persian to stand up can be a challenge.
Sometimes, they just melt into the table.

As you get to know Gabby, you will find quirks that may be her
specifically, or may be a breed thing. I joined two mailing lists for
Ragdolls, and some of the quirks I see with Jay Jay (after having
Siamese and Siamese mixes) are typical breed characterics of the
Ragdoll.

Sheelagh >o
October 1st 07, 03:53 PM
On 1 Oct, 05:56, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response from "-Lost" >:
>
> >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>
> > Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this area
> > I am guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas as to
> > what she could be.
>
> > Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with raccoon.
> > Although I doubt they will listen.
>
> Ack, I totally forgot to ask... does anyone have any idea how old Gabby
> is based on the pictures? My guess was 3 to 4 months.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

In answer to both questions.- I think she is just an american basic
*moggy*, that is lucky enough to have the coat pattern of a cream
mackerel pattern coat. She probably has several strains of tabby. It's
ever so difficult to tell, but having said that, it looks like a very
handsome or pretty cat got caught short somewhere along the line, to
have that wonderful cream pattern. It does happen occasionally.
Sometimes a Queen in season gets out, or other times ,the male isn't
neutered young enough, & sires a litter of kittens...

I estimated about the same she looks around 16-18 weeks old, I
*Think*.
Irrelevant of all this, she is a little sweet heart isn't she :o)

Sheelagh>"o"<

-Lost
October 2nd 07, 04:25 AM
Response from "Sheelagh >o<" >:

> On 1 Oct, 05:56, "-Lost" > wrote:
>> Response from "-Lost" >:
>>
>> >http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7962/gabbyresizedzi7.jpg
>>
>> > Based on the location and the overpopulation of cats in this
>> > area I am guessing she is a mutt. But I would love ANY ideas
>> > as to what she could be.
>>
>> > Then I can tell my redneck cousin she is not mixed with
>> > raccoon. Although I doubt they will listen.
>>
>> Ack, I totally forgot to ask... does anyone have any idea how old
>> Gabby is based on the pictures? My guess was 3 to 4 months.

> In answer to both questions.- I think she is just an american
> basic *moggy*, that is lucky enough to have the coat pattern of a
> cream mackerel pattern coat. She probably has several strains of
> tabby. It's ever so difficult to tell, but having said that, it
> looks like a very handsome or pretty cat got caught short
> somewhere along the line, to have that wonderful cream pattern. It
> does happen occasionally. Sometimes a Queen in season gets out, or
> other times ,the male isn't neutered young enough, & sires a
> litter of kittens...

OK, thanks. The thing that tickles me the most about her pattern is
her tail. She has NO black on her body until you get to her bottom.
And then she has a distinct solid black ring that makes up her tail,
2 or so inches of solid blackness and then a gray tip. Talk about
odd. (But oh so beautiful.)

> I estimated about the same she looks around 16-18 weeks old, I
> *Think*.

Cool, thanks.

> Irrelevant of all this, she is a little sweet heart isn't she :o)

Oh my, you have NO clue. I am proud to say after 2 weeks and 2 days
(as of today) she is now leaping off of the furniture onto the back
of Pudge and flat out attacks Demon head on.

I was mildly worried at first because Demon is really excitable and
constantly wanted to go for her to sniff and give her the once over.

The extremists in a dog newsgroup almost had me convinced that my
dogs would become cat murderers if I allowed them to. I imagine they
have had far too many experiences with some uncontrollable cur with
the scent of blood in his nostrils or had a thing for getting a
little too excitable.

I am glad to say I know my animals better than that. OK, so having
said that...

....today Gabby took off running after Demon as she came back in from
using the bathroom, Demon spun to face her, Gabby leaped on her face,
Demon fell to the ground and rolled to her back biting Gabby where
she could as Gabby had all four feet sunk into Demon's face, biting
her on the forehead.

Um... can you say bestest buddies? I can. : P

Gabby and Pudge have been playing together almost since they met, but
just in the last few days it has been a free for all cat and dog
wrestling match. The funniest thing I saw was today when she was on
Pudge's back kicking and biting Pudge, Pudge kind of looked up at me
like, "You going to do something?" I had to laugh.

And I have at least 100+ pictures and video of her mauling the
children.

And when her little heart is not beating ten times a second she is
actually the sweetest, most cuddle-me-kitty I have ever seen.

OK, I have already rambled too much... sorry... yes, she is THE BEST
KITTY EVERRRR!

Thanks for the age approximation, Sheelagh >"o"<.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.