PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of use of a leg

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 01:49 AM
At 11 am this morning my favorite cat Buddy was in good shape. Happily
sleeping on a towel by my bathroom sink. He had been grooming and was
looking fine. At 2:30 he was trying to walk dragging his right rear leg
limply behind him and mostly falling down. I rushed him to the vet. No
broken bones. He has a good pulse in his leg, no coldness, no heart murmur
but very diminished sensation in the leg - he can feel but not much. So
they gave him a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory and said we have to
wait and see. They are inclined not to think blood clot at this time though
it is not ruled out. He did manage to drag himself into the litter box
before I put him in the carrier. So that is good, he at least has control
of his bowels and bladder.

This is all so sudden, no warning at all. I mean he was fine just hours
earlier. At this point all I can do is wait and worry. Has anyone been
through this? I am thinking acupuncture but that has to wait till Monday.

Paul

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 02:46 AM
A little update. Well the back leg is now feeling colder than the left leg.
There is definitely a difference between the afflicted leg and the healthy
ones. His toe pads on the bad leg feel quite cold actually although his
pads are still a healthy pink color (he had unpigmented pads). Possibly a
clot? How do they treat these in cats? Or can they be treated?

Paul

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> At 11 am this morning my favorite cat Buddy was in good shape. Happily
> sleeping on a towel by my bathroom sink. He had been grooming and was
> looking fine. At 2:30 he was trying to walk dragging his right rear leg
> limply behind him and mostly falling down. I rushed him to the vet. No
> broken bones. He has a good pulse in his leg, no coldness, no heart
murmur
> but very diminished sensation in the leg - he can feel but not much. So
> they gave him a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory and said we have to
> wait and see. They are inclined not to think blood clot at this time
though
> it is not ruled out. He did manage to drag himself into the litter box
> before I put him in the carrier. So that is good, he at least has control
> of his bowels and bladder.
>
> This is all so sudden, no warning at all. I mean he was fine just hours
> earlier. At this point all I can do is wait and worry. Has anyone been
> through this? I am thinking acupuncture but that has to wait till Monday.
>
> Paul

cybercat
September 30th 07, 02:50 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>A little update. Well the back leg is now feeling colder than the left
>leg.
> There is definitely a difference between the afflicted leg and the healthy
> ones. His toe pads on the bad leg feel quite cold actually although his
> pads are still a healthy pink color (he had unpigmented pads). Possibly a
> clot? How do they treat these in cats? Or can they be treated?

Poor baby. I wish I knew. Phil might know.

cybercat
September 30th 07, 03:08 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote

> I hope so too. I think the cold is not a good sign. ER?

I think I would. I am hoping it is just some sort of nerve
damage. But could that make a limb cold?

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 06:23 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote
> >>

> > I hope so too. I think the cold is not a good sign. ER?
> >

> I think I would. I am hoping it is just some sort of nerve
> damage. But could that make a limb cold?

I hope so too. The vet who saw Buddy seemed pretty sure it was. Which is
why Buddy is home now and not in an ER. He is sleeping comfortably at the
moment. He lets me rub his leg and does not complain. But it is driving
me nuts because if this is something time critical I'm wasting time. I can
call his vet on Monday but that's about it. All I can do is call the ER and
get a second opinion I suppose.

Paul

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 06:55 AM
OK, Buddy seems to be feeling OK. He's not moving from his bed but he's
responding well to my attention and is purring. The affected leg seems to
be OK from the knee up. If I gently (very gently) prod him with a pin he
flinches. Below the knee he doesn't seem to feel much of anything, though.
If I pull on his leg he has the strength to pull back some after he gets
tired of me. The foot feels cool to the touch, but not cold. Since he's
half white I can see his skin under the white fur and it looks like it has
color, it's not gray.

It's just driving me nuts not knowing how this developed so fast. And the
Internet searches aren't coming up with much either. No stories, no
prognosis - nothing. I have no idea where this will lead, and what hope
there may be.

Paul

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> At 11 am this morning my favorite cat Buddy was in good shape. Happily
> sleeping on a towel by my bathroom sink. He had been grooming and was
> looking fine. At 2:30 he was trying to walk dragging his right rear leg
> limply behind him and mostly falling down. I rushed him to the vet. No
> broken bones. He has a good pulse in his leg, no coldness, no heart
murmur
> but very diminished sensation in the leg - he can feel but not much. So
> they gave him a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory and said we have to
> wait and see. They are inclined not to think blood clot at this time
though
> it is not ruled out. He did manage to drag himself into the litter box
> before I put him in the carrier. So that is good, he at least has control
> of his bowels and bladder.
>
> This is all so sudden, no warning at all. I mean he was fine just hours
> earlier. At this point all I can do is wait and worry. Has anyone been
> through this? I am thinking acupuncture but that has to wait till Monday.
>
> Paul

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
September 30th 07, 08:28 AM
No, nothing like that. He mentioned possibly neuropathy but I did not make
the connection to diabetes. This is all completely out of nowhere. Just
last night he was in my kitchen getting up on the counter to smell my soup
ingredients. No trouble at all jumping or getting about.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Paul did the vet check for diabetes or at least the sugar level
>

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> OK, Buddy seems to be feeling OK. He's not moving from his bed but he's
>> responding well to my attention and is purring. The affected leg seems
>> be OK from the knee up. If I gently (very gently) prod him with a pin he
>> flinches. Below the knee he doesn't seem to feel much of anything,
>> though.
>> If I pull on his leg he has the strength to pull back some after he gets
>> tired of me. The foot feels cool to the touch, but not cold. Since he's
>> half white I can see his skin under the white fur and it looks like it
>> has
>> color, it's not gray.
>>
>> It's just driving me nuts not knowing how this developed so fast. And
>> the
>> Internet searches aren't coming up with much either. No stories, no
>> prognosis - nothing. I have no idea where this will lead, and what hope
>> there may be.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> At 11 am this morning my favorite cat Buddy was in good shape. Happily
>>> sleeping on a towel by my bathroom sink. He had been grooming and was
>>> looking fine. At 2:30 he was trying to walk dragging his right rear leg
>>> limply behind him and mostly falling down. I rushed him to the vet. No
>>> broken bones. He has a good pulse in his leg, no coldness, no heart
>> murmur
>>> but very diminished sensation in the leg - he can feel but not much. So
>>> they gave him a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory and said we have to
>>> wait and see. They are inclined not to think blood clot at this time
>> though
>>> it is not ruled out. He did manage to drag himself into the litter box
>>> before I put him in the carrier. So that is good, he at least has
>>> control
>>> of his bowels and bladder.
>>>
>>> This is all so sudden, no warning at all. I mean he was fine just hours
>>> earlier. At this point all I can do is wait and worry. Has anyone been
>>> through this? I am thinking acupuncture but that has to wait till
>>> Monday.
>>>
>>> Paul

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 05:22 PM
I'll ask, but he has displayed no symptoms at all for anything really,
especially diabetes. Despite the fact that he has quite a few health
issues, he has been remarkably stable until now.

Paul

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Forgot to add with unregulated sugar levels
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> > The reason I say have them check which I am not vet is that diabetic
cats
> > can get sudden loss of appendages and they can go cold.
> >
> > Rumble showed no signs that he was I noticed that he was playing with
> > water way more than normal. It went from there happy to say he has
been
> > insulin free for over a year on a FF diet
> >

> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> No, nothing like that. He mentioned possibly neuropathy but I did not
> >> make the connection to diabetes. This is all completely out of
nowhere.
> >> Just last night he was in my kitchen getting up on the counter to smell
> >> my soup ingredients. No trouble at all jumping or getting about.

And

Phil P.
September 30th 07, 06:04 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> A little update. Well the back leg is now feeling colder than the left
leg.
> There is definitely a difference between the afflicted leg and the healthy
> ones. His toe pads on the bad leg feel quite cold actually although his
> pads are still a healthy pink color (he had unpigmented pads). Possibly a
> clot? How do they treat these in cats? Or can they be treated?

Paul,

Coolness and paresis/paralysis of a rear leg leads me to suspect a clot- a
thromboembolus lodged at the terminal abdominal aorta (the aortic
trifurcation). This type of clot usually extends down one or both iliac
arteries- if both its called a saddle thrombus. However, with this type of
clot the paw pads and/or nail beds are often cyanotic. So he might just
have a sprain or pinched nerve. Sometimes clipping a claw back to the quick
will rule in but not necessarily rule out a clot. If there's no blood flow
to the paw it won't bleed. If he has a partial clot, a small amount of
black-colored blood will usually ooze from the cut quick. You might want to
speak to your vet about that- although I'd be surprised if he didn't try it
already .

Best of luck,

Phil

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 06:24 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > A little update. Well the back leg is now feeling colder than the left
> leg.
> > There is definitely a difference between the afflicted leg and the
healthy
> > ones. His toe pads on the bad leg feel quite cold actually although his
> > pads are still a healthy pink color (he had unpigmented pads). Possibly
> > clot? How do they treat these in cats? Or can they be treated?
>
> Paul,
>
> Coolness and paresis/paralysis of a rear leg leads me to suspect a clot- a
> thromboembolus lodged at the terminal abdominal aorta (the aortic
> trifurcation). This type of clot usually extends down one or both iliac
> arteries- if both its called a saddle thrombus. However, with this type
of
> clot the paw pads and/or nail beds are often cyanotic. So he might just
> have a sprain or pinched nerve. Sometimes clipping a claw back to the
quick
> will rule in but not necessarily rule out a clot. If there's no blood
flow
> to the paw it won't bleed. If he has a partial clot, a small amount of
> black-colored blood will usually ooze from the cut quick. You might want
> speak to your vet about that- although I'd be surprised if he didn't try
it
> already .
>
> Best of luck,

There is no blue coloration of his feet. In fact they are a healthy pink
color. He has unpigmented pads and I've noticed they change color from
whitish to pink. Mood pads I call them. The vet pinched his toes fairly
hard to gauge his reaction, which was not much. He barely felt it
apparently. I can feel a pulse in his leg so it is strong enough for me to
detect it. His claws are not purple or even discolored, they are the usual
pale white color. There is nothing I can see that looks any different on
his bad leg than the other 3. His appetite is great, he ate a fairly large
amount of food earlier this evening. More so than usual.

I guess all I can do is wait and see. I have some pain meds I am to
administer for now. I will call the ER if things change - but they really
do not have my confidence so I hesitate. Still, if he shows any distress
whatsoever he will in immediately. His PC vet is back in tomorrow morning.
Why does this always happen on a weekend?

Paul

Paul M. Cook
September 30th 07, 06:28 PM
It never hurts to ask. And I will. I will have him up to his PC vet first
thing in the AM. I am holding off on the ER because he seems to be
comfortable and eating and he managed to get himself into the litter box OK.
He has bad arthritis in his right hip joint and I am hoping perhaps he had a
bad landing and twisted his leg. I've been awake all night reading up on
blood clots in cats and also diabetes since you mentioned it. So far, it
really does not seem to fit the symptoms.

Paul

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Paul My rumble was perfect ate great played like a kitten. He had
regular
> vet visits blood work was fine. The only reason I noticed a problem is
> Rumble would play for hours with the dripping faucet. He had never done
> that. I mentioned it to my vet he said bring him in he had a hunch and
> away we went.
>
> I am not a vet your vet knows best ( hopefully ) I am just offering my 2
> cents. It never hurts to ask
>

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I'll ask, but he has displayed no symptoms at all for anything really,
> > especially diabetes. Despite the fact that he has quite a few health
> > issues, he has been remarkably stable until now.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > "Matthew" > wrote in message
> >> Forgot to add with unregulated sugar levels

> > cats

> > been

> > nowhere.

> > seems
> > pin
Since
> > it

> > And

> > was
> > have
> > time

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 1st 07, 04:18 AM
OK, my superstitious side wouldn't let me post until I had waited so as not
to tempt fate. But Buddy seems to be doing a bit better. He's clearly not
comfortable back there. But he is able to put weight on the foot and walk
albeight like a drunken sailor on liberty. He seems to know spatially where
his foot is now and it is not dragging like a limp rag and getting his claws
caught up in the carpet. He is mostly inactive but he did eat well tonight
and can get around when he wants to.

OK, so that's sure better than yesterday. Would everyone agree that we
seem to be dealing with a nerve issue here? I'm calling 2 vets in the
general area who practice accupuncture. Long drive in a car for a cat but
if it helps him he'll just have to be brave.

What a scare this has been. I sure hope it's just a freak accident. This
is Buddy, a most dignified, wise and gentlemanly cat.

http://i20.tinypic.com/312jqyv.gif

Paul

cybercat
October 1st 07, 06:15 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote

> Would everyone agree that we seem to be dealing with a nerve issue here?

Sounds like it to me.

I'm calling 2 vets in the
> general area who practice accupuncture. Long drive in a car for a cat but
> if it helps him he'll just have to be brave.
>
> What a scare this has been. I sure hope it's just a freak accident. This
> is Buddy, a most dignified, wise and gentlemanly cat.
>
> http://i20.tinypic.com/312jqyv.gif

He's very handsome. I wish his ear had not been tipped.
Hope he's feeling better soon.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 1st 07, 06:38 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote
>
>> Would everyone agree that we seem to be dealing with a nerve issue here?
>
> Sounds like it to me.
>
> I'm calling 2 vets in the
>> general area who practice accupuncture. Long drive in a car for a cat
>> but if it helps him he'll just have to be brave.
>>
>> What a scare this has been. I sure hope it's just a freak accident.
>> This is Buddy, a most dignified, wise and gentlemanly cat.
>>
>> http://i20.tinypic.com/312jqyv.gif
>>

> He's very handsome. I wish his ear had not been tipped.
> Hope he's feeling better soon.

Thank you. He was neutered as part of a state run program while he was
living rough in an industrial park. Had it not been for that program he
would have been put down instead. So he lost half an ear but kept his life.
Which is when I found him shortly after my first cat had passed away. The
two of them share remarkable similarities in personality.

But unfortunately those hard years seem to be haunting him now in his golden
years.

Paul

Sheelagh >o
October 1st 07, 04:25 PM
On 1 Oct, 06:38, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote
>
> >> Would everyone agree that we seem to be dealing with a nerve issue here?
>
> > Sounds like it to me.
>
> > I'm calling 2 vets in the
> >> general area who practice accupuncture. Long drive in a car for a cat
> >> but if it helps him he'll just have to be brave.
>
> >> What a scare this has been. I sure hope it's just a freak accident.
> >> This is Buddy, a most dignified, wise and gentlemanly cat.
>
> >>http://i20.tinypic.com/312jqyv.gif
>
> > He's very handsome. I wish his ear had not been tipped.
> > Hope he's feeling better soon.
>
> Thank you. He was neutered as part of a state run program while he was
> living rough in an industrial park. Had it not been for that program he
> would have been put down instead. So he lost half an ear but kept his life.
> Which is when I found him shortly after my first cat had passed away. The
> two of them share remarkable similarities in personality.
>
> But unfortunately those hard years seem to be haunting him now in his golden
> years.
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Now there is a handsome cat :o)
Good luck, I hope this all works out well....
Best Wishes,

Sheelagh >"o"<

cybercat
October 1st 07, 07:30 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote
> Thank you. He was neutered as part of a state run program while he was
> living rough in an industrial park. Had it not been for that program he
> would have been put down instead. So he lost half an ear but kept his
> life.

Well of course it was worth losing a little piece of ear. I just hate that
practice,
for no better reason than I find cats so lovely, and it seems there should
be
a better way than this.

> Which is when I found him shortly after my first cat had passed away. The
> two of them share remarkable similarities in personality.
>
> But unfortunately those hard years seem to be haunting him now in his
> golden years.

I pray for cats! ;)

He's a very lucky boy to have you and you him.

October 7th 07, 08:04 PM
I'm in the same position. I cat D.J. ended up losing legs motor
function in the rear legs and loss of bladder control this morning at
around 3:00 AM. I will have to wait another 3 to 5 hours for the vet
to open up. The unfortunate thing is I live in Japan and the on base
vet is gone on TDY so there is no emergency clinics and the off base
vet clinics don't open unit 7 -9 AM.

Sheelagh >o
October 8th 07, 01:57 PM
On 7 Oct, 20:04, wrote:
> I'm in the same position. I cat D.J. ended up losing legs motor
> function in the rear legs and loss of bladder control this morning at
> around 3:00 AM. I will have to wait another 3 to 5 hours for the vet
> to open up. The unfortunate thing is I live in Japan and the on base
> vet is gone on TDY so there is no emergency clinics and the off base
> vet clinics don't open unit 7 -9 AM.

Purrs of comfort & Prayers again. Let us know how you get on when you
see the vet please?
Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh >"o"<

October 9th 07, 03:49 AM
Took him back early this morning with some movement in his tail and
not much of the his right leg. The vet is going to keep him for the
rest of the day and see what he can do.

October 9th 07, 10:28 AM
It isn't good guys. Just found out that he has a rare disease that
causes heart inflammation and the vet said it's pretty much terminal.
Maybe 3 months to live. I will be picking up some medicine tomorrow
to help get the blockage from his vein so he start walking again.
Sometimes I think that just maybe something will happen and he will
get better. If the medicine doesn't help him get rid of the blockage
I will have no choice to put him to sleep earlier than I wanted out of
mercy sake. He won't be able to walk. Just wanted to let you know.

October 9th 07, 10:28 AM
It isn't good guys. Just found out that he has a rare disease that
causes heart inflammation and the vet said it's pretty much terminal.
Maybe 3 months to live. I will be picking up some medicine tomorrow
to help get the blockage from his vein so he start walking again.
Sometimes I think that just maybe something will happen and he will
get better. If the medicine doesn't help him get rid of the blockage
I will have no choice to put him to sleep earlier than I wanted out of
mercy sake. He won't be able to walk. Just wanted to let you know.

October 9th 07, 11:16 AM
It isn't good guys. Just found out that he has a rare disease that
causes heart inflammation and the vet said it's pretty much terminal.
Maybe 3 months to live. I will be picking up some medicine tomorrow
to help get the blockage from his vein so he start walking again.
Sometimes I think that just maybe something will happen and he will
get better. If the medicine doesn't help him get rid of the blockage
I will have no choice to put him to sleep earlier than I wanted out of
mercy sake. He won't be able to walk. Just wanted to let you know.

jmc
October 9th 07, 11:55 AM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (10/9/2007 7:46 PM):
> It isn't good guys. Just found out that he has a rare disease that
> causes heart inflammation and the vet said it's pretty much terminal.
> Maybe 3 months to live. I will be picking up some medicine tomorrow
> to help get the blockage from his vein so he start walking again.
> Sometimes I think that just maybe something will happen and he will
> get better. If the medicine doesn't help him get rid of the blockage
> I will have no choice to put him to sleep earlier than I wanted out of
> mercy sake. He won't be able to walk. Just wanted to let you know.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's times like this that we desperately
hope the vet is wrong... I do hope the medicine works. Is there no
treatment for the inflammation? Can you get a second opinion?

jmc

October 9th 07, 01:28 PM
On Oct 9, 7:55 pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (10/9/2007 7:46 PM):
>
> > It isn't good guys. Just found out that he has a rare disease that
> > causes heart inflammation and the vet said it's pretty much terminal.
> > Maybe 3 months to live. I will be picking up some medicine tomorrow
> > to help get the blockage from his vein so he start walking again.
> > Sometimes I think that just maybe something will happen and he will
> > get better. If the medicine doesn't help him get rid of the blockage
> > I will have no choice to put him to sleep earlier than I wanted out of
> > mercy sake. He won't be able to walk. Just wanted to let you know.
>
> I'm so sorry to hear that. It's times like this that we desperately
> hope the vet is wrong... I do hope the medicine works. Is there no
> treatment for the inflammation? Can you get a second opinion?
>
> jmc

I've read up on heart disease and what the vet told me was that it has
progressed to far. I will go see the on-base vet tomorrow, but I
don't know. They gave me the x-ray and we will see.

-Lost
October 9th 07, 02:14 PM
Response from "Paul M. Cook" >:

All right Paul, it has been a full week since your last post. What is
going on with Buddy?

Thanks.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

October 12th 07, 08:31 AM
Well I had to put my D.J. to sleep. The medicine to remove the clot
didn't work and it was completely uncomfortable for him trying to move
around. Didn't have a choice so he went silently. To bad he was only
a couple of years old.

dgk
October 12th 07, 01:02 PM
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:31:46 -0700, wrote:

>Well I had to put my D.J. to sleep. The medicine to remove the clot
>didn't work and it was completely uncomfortable for him trying to move
>around. Didn't have a choice so he went silently. To bad he was only
>a couple of years old.

Oh, I'm sorry. My cat LuckyBoy developed a clot in the saddle area. I
found him downstairs one morning in a cardboard box. He must have made
it down with his back legs not working and crawled into the box. A
heart condition was the underlying problem it turns out (no surprise
there). While he was in for treatment at the specialty vet they called
me and said that he had more clots in the heart waiting to emerge and
that it would ge pointless to try to save him

LuckyBoy was around seven when he died.

I groan whenever I see a post that mentions the back legs not working,
like yours. I always hope for a better outcome, but that subject line
seems to be a bad one.

Gail
October 12th 07, 02:08 PM
I am soooo sorry for your loss. You really loved him and tried everything
you could.
Gail
oups.com...