PDA

View Full Version : Fleas?


Richard Evans
September 30th 07, 07:51 PM
We have six cats, all indoor-only. One, a short haired tortie named
Motley, is very skittish and hard to get a hand on. A couple of weeks
ago I noticed a patch of fur on her back that was not laying smoothly.
It took me a while to get a hold of her, and when I ran my hand down
her back it felt matted, I eventually got her to hold still long
enough to run a flea comb over her and it picked up tufts of hair and
a lot of black crud that looked like flea dander, though no actual
fleas.

It's been a couple of weeks and it's happening again. Last night I ran
a flea comb through her with the same results, but I wasn't able to
hold her still long enough for a close examination.

Arguing against it being fleas:

- None of the others have them.
- I haven't actually seen any on her.
- The hair that's brushed out does not leave any bald spots.
- It's only evident on one spot

In favor:

- Well, I just don't know what else it could be.

Any ideas? I hate to take her to the vet because A: it would
traumatize her and B: I never get out of the vet's office for less
than a hundred bucks.

bobblespin[_2_]
September 30th 07, 10:10 PM
Richard Evans > wrote in
:

> We have six cats, all indoor-only. One, a short haired tortie named
> Motley, is very skittish and hard to get a hand on. A couple of weeks
> ago I noticed a patch of fur on her back that was not laying smoothly.
> It took me a while to get a hold of her, and when I ran my hand down
> her back it felt matted, I eventually got her to hold still long
> enough to run a flea comb over her and it picked up tufts of hair and
> a lot of black crud that looked like flea dander, though no actual
> fleas.
>
> It's been a couple of weeks and it's happening again. Last night I ran
> a flea comb through her with the same results, but I wasn't able to
> hold her still long enough for a close examination.
>
> Arguing against it being fleas:
>
> - None of the others have them.
> - I haven't actually seen any on her.
> - The hair that's brushed out does not leave any bald spots.
> - It's only evident on one spot
>
> In favor:
>
> - Well, I just don't know what else it could be.
>
> Any ideas? I hate to take her to the vet because A: it would
> traumatize her and B: I never get out of the vet's office for less
> than a hundred bucks.
>

What my vet does at every examination is shake the fur of the cat
vigorously while on the table, then she sprays water over the table (a
gentle mist with a spray bottle). She then waits 2-3 minutes and if the
specks turn to blood, then you have flea poo. Try that.

Bobble

Sheelagh >o
October 1st 07, 04:40 PM
On 30 Sep, 22:10, bobblespin > wrote:
> Richard Evans > wrote :
>
>
>
>
>
> > We have six cats, all indoor-only. One, a short haired tortie named
> > Motley, is very skittish and hard to get a hand on. A couple of weeks
> > ago I noticed a patch of fur on her back that was not laying smoothly.
> > It took me a while to get a hold of her, and when I ran my hand down
> > her back it felt matted, I eventually got her to hold still long
> > enough to run a flea comb over her and it picked up tufts of hair and
> > a lot of black crud that looked like flea dander, though no actual
> > fleas.
>
> > It's been a couple of weeks and it's happening again. Last night I ran
> > a flea comb through her with the same results, but I wasn't able to
> > hold her still long enough for a close examination.
>
> > Arguing against it being fleas:
>
> > - None of the others have them.
> > - I haven't actually seen any on her.
> > - The hair that's brushed out does not leave any bald spots.
> > - It's only evident on one spot
>
> > In favor:
>
> > - Well, I just don't know what else it could be.
>
> > Any ideas? I hate to take her to the vet because A: it would
> > traumatize her and B: I never get out of the vet's office for less
> > than a hundred bucks.
>
> What my vet does at every examination is shake the fur of the cat
> vigorously while on the table, then she sprays water over the table (a
> gentle mist with a spray bottle). She then waits 2-3 minutes and if the
> specks turn to blood, then you have flea poo. Try that.
>
> Bobble- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Where abouts is the patch that you checked?
( where the fur wouldn't lie down I mean?)

Good Thinking Bobblespin BTW!

The only other thing I can think of that it *might* be is Acne. That
is normally found around the lower jaw in my experience though.

However, I am a poor substitute for a vet. If it doesn't clear up,
best take her to have her checked over, just to be sure of course.
Good Luck,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Richard Evans
October 1st 07, 06:01 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:

>
>Where abouts is the patch that you checked?
>( where the fur wouldn't lie down I mean?)
>

On her spine, about two thirds of the way to her tail. Very localized.

>
>However, I am a poor substitute for a vet. If it doesn't clear up,
>best take her to have her checked over, just to be sure of course.

For lack of a more compelling diagnosis, I guess we'll dose her with
Frontline and see what happens.