PDA

View Full Version : How to keep cats off of tables?

steve84
October 1st 07, 05:05 AM
Hi

I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo.
I adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
want to see what I am eating when I sit there.

I have heard about a spray bottle or water gun to try and keep them off
the table but have not tried that yet.

I know it will take time to teach the cats but does anybody have any
suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
tables?

Thanks for any help

Steve

cybercat
October 1st 07, 06:17 AM
"steve84" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo. I
> adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
> great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
> taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
> lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
> want to see what I am eating when I sit there.
>
> I have heard about a spray bottle or water gun to try and keep them off
> the table but have not tried that yet.
>
> I know it will take time to teach the cats but does anybody have any
> suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
> tables?

Clap your hands loudly and yell "NO" every time they try to get on
the table. Forget the water, it is not necessary. Cats hate loud noises
and they hate your disapproval, at least when you express it loudly.

Elizabeth Blake
October 1st 07, 06:32 AM
"steve84" > wrote in message
> I know it will take time to teach the cats but does anybody have any
> suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
> tables?

Get rid of your tables.

My cats are pretty good about staying off the table when I'm eating but they
love to sleep on it when I'm not in the kitchen. I remove them every time,
but it doesn't stop them. I've pretty much given up on keeping them off the
table and as long as they're not in my plate when I'm eating, it's not a
huge problem. I do remove them when I find them there just to let them know
I'm not happy about it, but they always go back.

--
Liz

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 1st 07, 08:01 AM
"steve84" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo. I
> adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
> great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
> taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
> lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
> want to see what I am eating when I sit there.
>
> I have heard about a spray bottle or water gun to try and keep them off
> the table but have not tried that yet.
>
> I know it will take time to teach the cats but does anybody have any
> suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
> tables?
>
> Thanks for any help

None of that will work. Do what I do, set a place for them. Pour them a
drink. Teach them to use utensils. Let them on the table. So what? Just
wash it down when you are done. If you ca't beat them, join them.

Paul
> Steve

jmagerl[_2_]
October 1st 07, 02:00 PM
Don't do what we did.
After the 40th time of taking Mr. Bonkers off the table and putting him on
his chair, we would open the door to the three season room and he would go
out there and leave us to eat in peace. What did he learn? To go outside ,
you jump on the table. AAARRGGHH!!

40 times of saying no and being picked up didn't sink in but 1 time of
going out the door did.

Go figure.

To his credit, he eventually did learn that he gets a treat if he stays on
his chair. All bets are off when you leave the room though.

I think it was more getting older than any training that keeps him off the
table (he got big enough that he could stand up and see whats on the table
rather than jump up there).

"steve84" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo. I
> adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
> great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
> taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
> lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
> want to see what I am eating when I sit there.
>
> I have heard about a spray bottle or water gun to try and keep them off
> the table but have not tried that yet.
>
> I know it will take time to teach the cats but does anybody have any
> suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
> tables?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Steve

Rene S.
October 1st 07, 08:27 PM
I can understand your wanting to eat an uninterrupted meal. One thing
you can do is not leave out dry food, but give them two scheduled
mealtimes per day (preferably canned but that's another topic). Before
you start eating, feed them. They will eat, you will eat. Everyone is
happy.

If this doesn't work, you can tell them "no" and gently remove them
from the table a couple of times. If they persist, shut them in
another room while you eat and let them out when you are done. Please
do not use a squirt gun, which will only scare them. You don't know
their history and it's possible their previous owner(s) let them on
the table, so some retraining and patience may be needed.

October 1st 07, 11:07 PM
steve84 > wrote:

> but does anybody have any
>suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
>tables?

Line the top of the table with uncrumpled tinfoil (it rattles louder).
Most cats seem to hate that type of surface and avoid it.

-mhd

cybercat
October 1st 07, 11:46 PM
> wrote in message
> steve84 > wrote:
>
>> but does anybody have any
>>suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
>>tables?
>
> Line the top of the table with uncrumpled tinfoil (it rattles louder).
> Most cats seem to hate that type of surface and avoid it.

Where have you been?!

AZ Nomad
October 2nd 07, 12:00 AM
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:05:23 -0400, steve84 > wrote:

>Hi

>I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo.
>I adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
>great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
>taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
>lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
>want to see what I am eating when I sit there.

Just yell "hey!" every time they go on the table and growl "don't do it!"
when they're contemplating it. If "hey!" doesn't get kitty off the table then
go over to the table and pick kitty up and put kitty down on the floor.
Repeat until kitty gets tired of jumping up or your arms fall off.

Find something else to keep their attention.
And understand that cats can be very stubborn. You have to be even more
stubborn.

October 2nd 07, 05:10 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> steve84 > wrote:
>>
>>> but does anybody have any
>>>suggestions or ideas that have worked for them to teach cats to stay off
>>>tables?
>>
>> Line the top of the table with uncrumpled tinfoil (it rattles louder).
>> Most cats seem to hate that type of surface and avoid it.
>>

>Where have you been?!

Bummed out mainly.

I moved on July 1 and my 7 years old big smokey grey Gus died of
stress that day. After letting him out in the new place to slink
around to explore I found him dead in a closet 20 minutes later. I was
so looking forward to the joy he would have got with the many windows
that have deep window ledges to sit in. Now my 17 year Zak is in renal
trouble and is totally fighting any attempt to administer Sub Qs.
Instead of feeling the need to share this I just withdrew.

-mhd

James
October 2nd 07, 05:42 PM
On Oct 1, 7:00 pm, AZ Nomad > wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:05:23 -0400, steve84 > wrote:
> >Hi
> >I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo.
> >I adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
> >great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
> >taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
> >lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
> >want to see what I am eating when I sit there.
>
> Just yell "hey!" every time they go on the table and growl "don't do it!"
> when they're contemplating it. If "hey!" doesn't get kitty off the table then
> go over to the table and pick kitty up and put kitty down on the floor.
> Repeat until kitty gets tired of jumping up or your arms fall off.
>
> Find something else to keep their attention.
> And understand that cats can be very stubborn. You have to be even more
> stubborn.

My pussy used to come to my plate when I ate. Got tired of trying to
keep her away so I let her sneak a little piece of meat. Seems it had
too much hot pepper for her. She's not so eager to get at my plate
any more specially if she can smell the pepper.

cybercat
October 2nd 07, 06:49 PM
> wrote
>>Where have you been?!
>>

> Bummed out mainly.
>
> I moved on July 1 and my 7 years old big smokey grey Gus died of
> stress that day. After letting him out in the new place to slink
> around to explore I found him dead in a closet 20 minutes later.

O, God, M., I am so sorry. It's unimaginable. I am sure this is little if
any
comfort, but maybe he had a little "time bomb" inside, a heart condition
or blood clot, and might have gone anyway. I guess I mean to say I hope
you aren't blaming yourself.

I was
> so looking forward to the joy he would have got with the many windows
> that have deep window ledges to sit in. Now my 17 year Zak is in renal
> trouble and is totally fighting any attempt to administer Sub Qs.

Poor little guy. What terrible things to happen all at once.

> Instead of feeling the need to share this I just withdrew.

Understandable, that is often my first response to tragic events. Glad
you're back. Sending Zak good thoughts.

PawsForThought
October 2nd 07, 07:29 PM
On Oct 1, 3:01 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> None of that will work. Do what I do, set a place for them. Pour them a
> drink. Teach them to use utensils. Let them on the table. So what? Just
> wash it down when you are done. If you ca't beat them, join them.

ROFL! Great answer.

I had initially trained our cats to stay off the kitchen counter. But
all it took was for my DH to allow them up there one time, and all my
training was ruined.

-Lost
October 3rd 07, 12:11 PM
Response from :

>>Where have you been?!
>>

> Bummed out mainly.
>
> I moved on July 1 and my 7 years old big smokey grey Gus died of
> stress that day. After letting him out in the new place to slink
> around to explore I found him dead in a closet 20 minutes later. I
> was so looking forward to the joy he would have got with the many
> windows that have deep window ledges to sit in. Now my 17 year Zak
> is in renal trouble and is totally fighting any attempt to
> administer Sub Qs. Instead of feeling the need to share this I
> just withdrew.

I know we do not know each other, but I just wanted to tell you that
I wish you, your son, and your poor Gus did not have to go through
that experience. Let your heart be at peace knowing that Gus is in
kitty paradise.

I wish you, yours, and Zac the best of luck as well.

I am just really sorry to hear this happen to anyone, so forgive me
if I was out of line commenting on this.

Here's hoping you have a pleasant day.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

AZ Nomad
October 3rd 07, 02:59 PM
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:42:42 -0700, James > wrote:

>My pussy used to come to my plate when I ate. Got tired of trying to
>keep her away so I let her sneak a little piece of meat. Seems it had
>too much hot pepper for her. She's not so eager to get at my plate
>any more specially if she can smell the pepper.

I utter a four letter word beggining with F to call my cats for treats:
FISH! It pretty much means any solid food (beef,chicken,fish,cheese
it's all 'fish' to them)

They know that if I haven't said the f-word, then there is no way
they're going to get anything. Usually towards the end of the meal
I'll reserve some pieces of meat for the kitties and say "fish!" to
call them over.

Then I say "That's it!" when I want them to understand that I'm done
feeding them.

Student 1
October 10th 07, 01:06 AM
Hi there,

I was looking after my sisters Devon Rex cat after she got married and had a
few problems. The cat who was called Gaston used to jump into the frying
pan to actually get the food. It was very frustrating, in the end I tried
something simple and it seemed to work. I got a small squirt bottle and
every time it jumped up on the benches or near the stove I would give it a
squirt. They do learn eventually.

Gilian

--
Regards,