PDA

View Full Version : Can a vet give a second opinion on my cat's liver issues?


Joshua McGee
October 5th 07, 09:18 PM
Hi,

My cat has lost half her body weight. We thought she wasn't
tolerating her food any longer, and tried making changes at home for
too long before we went to the vet. She has undergone personality
changes, is lethargic and vomiting, and is dehydrated. I have a pdf
fax of her blood results, which unfortunately were sent to me upside-
down, but if someone could take a look and tell me what their training
suggests, I would appreciate it.

The file is at http://www.mcgees.org/mika.pdf

Thanks so much,

Joshua McGee

Joshua McGee
October 5th 07, 10:04 PM
He has suggested that there is either a stone in the bile duct or a
tumor. He has recommended ultrasound and/or exploratory surgery. He
also prescribed a course of Amoxicilliin in case it's a bacterial
infection.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

On Oct 5, 1:51 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Unfortunately there are no vets in the group several techs which will pipe
> in I hope.
>
> What did your vet tell you Joshua? And what treatment has the vet begun or
> suggested?
> >
> > I have a pdf
> > fax of her blood results, which unfortunately were sent to me upside-
> > down, but if someone could take a look and tell me what their training
> > suggests, I would appreciate it.
>
> > The file is at http://www.mcgees.org/mika.pdf

Joshua McGee
October 5th 07, 11:08 PM
Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.

The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.

The symptoms predate the antibiotic.

Thanks for your help,

Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

On Oct 5, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Ok Joshua just like a human doctor when a vet recommends surgery get a
> second opinion unless you trust that vet completely.
>
> What is the vet doing about the dehydration.
>
> The ultrasound is a better choice for the moment.
>
> Are you giving the antibiotic right now and these symptoms just started or
> did the symptoms lethargic,vomiting, dehydrated, personality changes
>
> If the symptoms just started CALL YOUR VET the furball might be having a
> reaction to he antibiotic

Meghan Noecker
October 6th 07, 07:13 AM
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:08:30 -0000, Joshua McGee >
wrote:

>Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.
>
>The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.
>
>The symptoms predate the antibiotic.
>


Were the fluids enough? Many vets won't suggest it since many people
won't do it, but you can give fluids at home. They will show you how
to do it at the office and sell you a fluid pack with needles. Then
you can do it once or twice a day as prescribed at home.

I would also second the recommendation for a second vet. They may have
different experience, equipment, etc. So, you might be able to get
some different ideas of what to do.

Sheelagh >o
October 6th 07, 04:57 PM
On 6 Oct, 08:27, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Good Luck let us know if we can help anymore
>
> "Joshua McGee" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
>
>
> > Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.
>
> > The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.
>
> > The symptoms predate the antibiotic.
>
> > Thanks for your help,
>
> > Joshua McGee
> >http://www.mcgees.org
>
> > On Oct 5, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> Ok Joshua just like a human doctor when a vet recommends surgery get a
> >> second opinion unless you trust that vet completely.
>
> >> What is the vet doing about the dehydration.
>
> >> The ultrasound is a better choice for the moment.
>
> >> Are you giving the antibiotic right now and these symptoms just started
> >> or
> >> did the symptoms lethargic,vomiting, dehydrated, personality changes
>
> >> If the symptoms just started CALL YOUR VET the furball might be having
> >> a
> >> reaction to he antibiotic- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

If we ping Bonnie, she might be able to help out here?
Sheelagh >"o"<

Joshua McGee
October 12th 07, 10:15 PM
On Oct 5, 11:13 pm, Meghan Noecker > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:08:30 -0000, Joshua McGee >
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.
>
> >The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.
>
> >The symptoms predate the antibiotic.
>
> Were the fluids enough? Many vets won't suggest it since many people
> won't do it, but you can give fluids at home. They will show you how
> to do it at the office and sell you a fluid pack with needles. Then
> you can do it once or twice a day as prescribed at home.
>
> I would also second the recommendation for a second vet. They may have
> different experience, equipment, etc. So, you might be able to get
> some different ideas of what to do.

Thank you. I got a second, then a third opinion. The third vet
anesthetized her to do a biopsy, and she never regained
consciousness. She died in her incubator at 5:30 local time this
morning.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Mika, you will be missed.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

Joshua McGee
October 13th 07, 06:04 AM
On Oct 12, 5:25 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> I am so sorry Joshua
>
> > Mika, you will be missed.

Thanks. I'm pretty torn up. Her housemate went under the knife at
the same time, but he's doing much better, and we hope to have him
home on Sunday. He has a g-tube and we'll be nursing him for a while.

- Joshua
http://www.mcgees.org

cybercat
October 13th 07, 06:15 AM
"Joshua McGee" > wrote
>
> Thanks. I'm pretty torn up.

She was really beautiful, and too young. My heart aches for you. I bundled
up my own almost-eight-year-old and annoyed her by loving all over her after
I read about Mika.

-L.
October 14th 07, 01:56 PM
Joshua McGee wrote:
> On Oct 12, 5:25 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> > I am so sorry Joshua
> >
> > > Mika, you will be missed.
>
> Thanks. I'm pretty torn up. Her housemate went under the knife at
> the same time, but he's doing much better, and we hope to have him
> home on Sunday. He has a g-tube and we'll be nursing him for a while.
>
> - Joshua
> http://www.mcgees.org

Bummer. She must have been more more sick than you knew. Take care
of yourselves!

-L.

Lesley via CatKB.com
October 15th 07, 01:17 PM
Joshua McGee wrote:
>
>Thank you. I got a second, then a third opinion. The third vet
>anesthetized her to do a biopsy, and she never regained
>consciousness. She died in her incubator at 5:30 local time this
>morning.
>


Purrs for your loss

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200710/1