PDA

View Full Version : Espy's licking off fur

dgk
October 10th 07, 02:30 PM
He's been licking one spot on his front right leg and has it down to
bare skin around an inch long and half an inch wide. I think he's been
doing it for at least a year but I didn't notice that it was
self-induced until this past weekend. Because the spot is kind of
under the shoulder joint it's tough to see unless I hold him down and
spread his leg out.

I've seen a pink spot there before, which is why I suspect it's been
at least a year, but it was smaller and I just thought that one of the
other cats had gotten a good rip during a skirmish. But I saw it anew
over the weekend and pinned him down to get a good look. We went to
the vet on Monday.

The vet (bill $181) thinks that it is not stress but has a physical
reason, an infection or so. I was worried about stress because,
although is is pretty laid back, he is not really thrilled that Marlo
(female younger cat) joined us about six months ago. He tolerates her
now and even plays with her sometimes, but he still give me a nasty
look when I hold her. All the odder because he does not like being
held himself. Ah, jealousy.

So he's on antibiotics and some steroid for 10 days, and we'll find
out the culture results and see where we go from there.

Any advice on a similar condition would be greatly appreciated.

Rene S.
October 10th 07, 02:33 PM
> The vet (bill $181) thinks that it is not stress but has a physical
> reason, an infection or so. I was worried about stress because,
> although is is pretty laid back, he is not really thrilled that Marlo
> (female younger cat) joined us about six months ago. He tolerates her
> now and even plays with her sometimes, but he still give me a nasty
> look when I hold her. All the odder because he does not like being
> held himself. Ah, jealousy.

I'm glad the vet took a culture. Those results will be helpful. Is it
possible it's an allergy? What kind of food is she eating? What kind
of cleaners/chemicals do you use around the house? These could all be
a factor if it's an allergy.

dgk
October 11th 07, 12:56 PM
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 06:33:54 -0700, "Rene S."
> wrote:

>> The vet (bill $181) thinks that it is not stress but has a physical
>> reason, an infection or so. I was worried about stress because,
>> although is is pretty laid back, he is not really thrilled that Marlo
>> (female younger cat) joined us about six months ago. He tolerates her
>> now and even plays with her sometimes, but he still give me a nasty
>> look when I hold her. All the odder because he does not like being
>> held himself. Ah, jealousy.
>
>I'm glad the vet took a culture. Those results will be helpful. Is it
>possible it's an allergy? What kind of food is she eating? What kind
>of cleaners/chemicals do you use around the house? These could all be
>a factor if it's an allergy.

The problem would be more likely lack of cleaners around the house. He
could be allergic to dust. I'm pretty good about not spraying stuff
around; I have all kinds of weed problems in the backyard because I
let the cats out there and won't spray anything.

He mostly only eats ProPlan Salmon and Rice (wet and dry varieties)
and he doesn't really eat much of that. He likes to lick the gravy and
ignore most of the rest. I worry about the other two getting fat but
him I worry about getting thin. But he's actually around 9 lbs and
just right for him.

I'll call for the culture results today.

dgk
October 11th 07, 01:09 PM
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:03:40 -0500, wrote:

>dgk > wrote in news:[email protected]
>4ax.com:
>
>> He's been licking one spot on his front right leg and has it down to
>> bare skin around an inch long and half an inch wide. I think he's been
>> doing it for at least a year but I didn't notice that it was
>> self-induced until this past weekend. Because the spot is kind of
>> under the shoulder joint it's tough to see unless I hold him down and
>> spread his leg out.
>>
>> I've seen a pink spot there before, which is why I suspect it's been
>> at least a year, but it was smaller and I just thought that one of the
>> other cats had gotten a good rip during a skirmish. But I saw it anew
>> over the weekend and pinned him down to get a good look. We went to
>> the vet on Monday.
>>
>> The vet (bill $181) thinks that it is not stress but has a physical
>> reason, an infection or so. I was worried about stress because,
>> although is is pretty laid back, he is not really thrilled that Marlo
>> (female younger cat) joined us about six months ago. He tolerates her
>> now and even plays with her sometimes, but he still give me a nasty
>> look when I hold her. All the odder because he does not like being
>> held himself. Ah, jealousy.
>>
>> So he's on antibiotics and some steroid for 10 days, and we'll find
>> out the culture results and see where we go from there.
>>
>> Any advice on a similar condition would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>do a google search and see my posts about our cat and her "licky
>granuloma" problem. It can be an allergy to many different things,
>environment, protein in the foods, fleas, etc.

I went back to 2004 or so and reviewed a lot of posts about
granulomas. If Espy is allergic to something then it's going to be
very tough to figure out what it is, and his choice of foods doesn't
leave many options. He likes ProPlan Salmon and Rice, and will
tolerate Natural Balance Ultra Formula.

The reason I've stuck with S&R is because all three cats like it so
that makes life a bit easier for me. Espy and Nipsy are pretty picky
although Marlo will eat just about anything. She was an outdoor cat
until I scooped her up last winter. She hasn't quite figured out that
meals are coming twice a day and she doesn't need to assume that each
meal is her last.

Every time I go to the pet store I buy a case or two of S&R and a few
assorted cans of other healthy type stuff to try out. Rarely does
anything pass the Espy test.