PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Urination Question

EADGBE[_2_]
October 11th 07, 07:07 PM
We have three indoor cats. We have four litterboxes for them. We
used to use a clay-type litter designed for multiple cats, but
recently we changed to Fresh Step because it seems to control odour a
bit better.

Two of our cats have continued to use the litterboxes as before, with
no problems whatsoever.

However, one of the cats has begun urinating outside of the
litterboxes. WE HAVE TAKEN THIS CAT AND HAD HIM CHECKED FOR URINARY
TRACT INFECTION IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS -- IN FACT, WE WENT TO TWO
DIFFERENT VETS, AND BOTH OF THEM GAVE HIM A COMPLETELY CLEAN BILL OF
HEALTH.

This cat still uses the litterbox to defecate, but he simply won't
urinate in the box; instead, he goes right up BESIDE the boxes and
urinates on the floor.

The cat in question usually urinates first thing in the morning when
we get up. SO...we have tried closing the cat in one of our bathrooms
with a litterbox filled with the new litter. We only leave him in
there for about an hour. WITHOUT FAIL, the cat will urinate INSIDE
the litterbox when we do this. But he simply WILL NOT urinate in the
litterbox under the usual circumstances -- circumstances where he had
no problems before.

My question is this: Assuming that there are no health issues, is it
possible for a cat to dislike a new brand of litter for URINATING but
not for defecating?

In other words, when a cat disapproves of a new type of litter, is it
common for her/him to still use the litter for everything except
urinating?

Another question: Why would the cat faithfully use the litterbox when
he is isolated with it, but NOT when the litterbox and the cat are in
the usual place?

We are changing two of the litterboxes back to the old litter to see
what happens, but I was curious about this nonetheless.

Any help or information will be much appreciated.

EADGBE[_2_]
October 11th 07, 08:05 PM
On Oct 11, 2:23 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> try a covered box and go back to the other litter at least in one box

I should have mentioned that all of our boxes are covered boxes.

It's funny, but I was wondering if the naughty cat prefers an
UNcovered box, just so he can look around and see if other cats are
nearby.

At this stage, I'm considering any possible theory! LOL

cybercat
October 11th 07, 08:17 PM
"EADGBE" > wrote

> We are changing two of the litterboxes back to the old litter to see
> what happens, but I was curious about this nonetheless.

That should do it.

cybercat
October 11th 07, 08:22 PM
"EADGBE" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 11, 2:23 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> try a covered box and go back to the other litter at least in one box
>>

> I should have mentioned that all of our boxes are covered boxes.
>
> It's funny, but I was wondering if the naughty cat prefers an
> UNcovered box, just so he can look around and see if other cats are
> nearby.

Absolutely. I can't stand covered boxes. Know how you feel when
you're in a porta-potty? Ugh. I also wanted to mention that there should
be no odor problem if you are scooping enough. Much better to use
unscented litter and just keep the boxes clean. When I had a covered
box, it helped me forget all about scooping. And when we got a second
cat, the first one refused to use the covered box, I think for the reason
you cite above. They are funny creatures, aren't they?

blkcatgal
October 11th 07, 08:38 PM
I'd change back to the old litter and take the top off of at least one box
and see what happens. If you are going to change litter, you need to do it
slowly....add new litter to the old litter using a little more new litter
each time you change the litter until you eventually are using all new
litter. Some cats are extremely sensitive to change and therefore any
changes you make have to be gradual.

S.
"EADGBE" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 11, 2:23 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> try a covered box and go back to the other litter at least in one box
>>

> I should have mentioned that all of our boxes are covered boxes.
>
> It's funny, but I was wondering if the naughty cat prefers an
> UNcovered box, just so he can look around and see if other cats are
> nearby.
>
> At this stage, I'm considering any possible theory! LOL

Rene S.
October 12th 07, 02:25 PM
On Oct 11, 2:38 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I'd change back to the old litter and take the top off of at least one box
> and see what happens. If you are going to change litter, you need to do it
> slowly....add new litter to the old litter using a little more new litter
> each time you change the litter until you eventually are using all new
> litter. Some cats are extremely sensitive to change and therefore any
> changes you make have to be gradual.

I agree. Also, the new litter may have been too 'scented' for your
cat. I won't use anything that has a fresh scent. If we can smell it,
imagine what it's like to a cat!

dgk
October 12th 07, 06:43 PM
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:25:33 -0700, "Rene S."
> wrote:

>On Oct 11, 2:38 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>> I'd change back to the old litter and take the top off of at least one box
>> and see what happens. If you are going to change litter, you need to do it
>> slowly....add new litter to the old litter using a little more new litter
>> each time you change the litter until you eventually are using all new
>> litter. Some cats are extremely sensitive to change and therefore any
>> changes you make have to be gradual.
>
>I agree. Also, the new litter may have been too 'scented' for your
>cat. I won't use anything that has a fresh scent. If we can smell it,
>imagine what it's like to a cat!

In the OP's case I'd agree to switch back and then make a gradual
change over. I've never had that particular problem with any of my
cats though. I've always bought whichever one was on sale at Target -
Tidy Cat, Fresh Step, Scoop Away, etc.

But if a cat is being finicky, well, they are weird and it's best to
try to work with them. Especially when they alternative is having one
pee outside the box.