PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs" on declawing cats.

-Lost
October 12th 07, 08:21 PM
Mike Rowe, host and willing participant of Dirty Jobs just asked a
"master groomer" what his opinions on declawing cats were, while they
clipped a cat's claws.

The groomer only said that cats who have been declawed are definitely
meaner. "When those cats come in I never turn my back on them."

I found it strange that he said nothing about his personal preference
on whether or not they should be declawed.

I guess him saying that they do have behavioral problems afterward was
opinion enough.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Rene S.
October 12th 07, 09:41 PM
On Oct 12, 2:21 pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Mike Rowe, host and willing participant of Dirty Jobs just asked a
> "master groomer" what his opinions on declawing cats were, while they
> clipped a cat's claws.
>
> The groomer only said that cats who have been declawed are definitely
> meaner. "When those cats come in I never turn my back on them."
>
> I found it strange that he said nothing about his personal preference
> on whether or not they should be declawed.
>
> I guess him saying that they do have behavioral problems afterward was
> opinion enough.

My guess would be that he might have made a personal comment, but it
was later edited out.

Zippy
October 17th 07, 08:59 PM
We had one declawed & she is very gentle and loving.
Another that we adopted when she was about 3 yrs old, was already
declawed & she has a miserable personality.
So who knows?
I clip the claws of our third one that we adopted when he was very
little. I'll never declaw another cat. It makes them unable to defend
themselves

Zippy

On Oct 12, 3:21 pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Mike Rowe, host and willing participant of Dirty Jobs just asked a
> "master groomer" what his opinions on declawing cats were, while they
> clipped a cat's claws.
>
> The groomer only said that cats who have been declawed are definitely
> meaner. "When those cats come in I never turn my back on them."
>
> I found it strange that he said nothing about his personal preference
> on whether or not they should be declawed.
>
> I guess him saying that they do have behavioral problems afterward was
> opinion enough.
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 17th 07, 09:41 PM
Response from Zippy >:

> We had one declawed & she is very gentle and loving.
> Another that we adopted when she was about 3 yrs old, was already
> declawed & she has a miserable personality.
> So who knows?
> I clip the claws of our third one that we adopted when he was
> very little. I'll never declaw another cat. It makes them unable
> to defend themselves

Yeah I have already learned in my one short month with our new kitty
that "cat behavior" is not an exact science and it is not consistent.

Or that it may be fairly consistent, but it is not constant in the
least.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 18th 07, 06:08 AM
Response from "Matthew" >:

> "-Lost" > wrote in message
>> Response from Zippy >:
>>
>>> We had one declawed & she is very gentle and loving.
>>> Another that we adopted when she was about 3 yrs old, was
>>> already declawed & she has a miserable personality.
>>> So who knows?
>>> I clip the claws of our third one that we adopted when he was
>>> very little. I'll never declaw another cat. It makes them
>>> unable to defend themselves
>>
>> Yeah I have already learned in my one short month with our new
>> kitty that "cat behavior" is not an exact science and it is not
>> consistent.
>>
>> Or that it may be fairly consistent, but it is not constant in
>> the least.
>
> Yes it is you just have not adjusted your life style to it yet
> ;-)

You're probably right. There are two things though that I have
noticed.

1. A cat swishing or thumping his tail ALWAYS means that they are
agitated.

Nope, not in Gabby's case. In Gabby's case he is pleased as punch.
When I first wake up in the morning and let him out of the kennel he
pounces on me for a vigorous and lengthy rubbing and affection
session.

All the while his tail is thumping, swishing back and forth, and
constantly curling back and forth from straight to a question mark.

Then he tells me to feed him.

2. A cat's primary instinct is to run from a dog.

Again, not true. Not once in a month has Gabby EVER ran from the
puppies. In fact he has always stood his ground and on more than one
occasion attacked.

Now that he is comfortable with the family (the puppies, rabbits,
ferrets, lizards, snakes, snails, birds, rodents, and assorted farm
animals) he makes it a point to attack every household critter at
least once a day.

Speaking of which I need to order a new battery for my camcorder so I
can catch some of this on tape. Today I watched as one of our larger
rabbits and two ferrets mauled Gabby. It started by Gabby leaping
off of the couch onto Odo's (ferret) back. Of course that prompted
Podo (ferret) to join in and help Odo beat Gabby. Then Sweet Pea
(rabbit) saw the ruckus and joined in since she plays daily with Odo
and Podo.

Seeing a kitten-rabbit-ferret tornado is the coolest and funniest
thing I have ever seen in my life.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.