PDA

View Full Version : End of my cat pee-pee rope!

-L.
October 14th 07, 03:00 AM
Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.

Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.

At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
- as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
can try.
(I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
problem.)

I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/

-L.

Sherry
October 14th 07, 03:35 AM
On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.
>
> At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
> am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
> - as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
> really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
> house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
> dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
> wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
> yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
> don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
> seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
> living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
> can try.
> (I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
> problem.)
>
> I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
> about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
> haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/
>
> -L.

I think you've probably heard me tell this story before about Yoda. It
made
me join the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" club. Long story short,
Yoda
pees on anything in floor. I started putting a clean towel down, every
day, next
to the litterbox.
He pees on it, and I toss it in the washer. We're both a lot happier
now.
Anyway, I was wondering if you can't put down a towel folded next to
the box,
where she "hangs over". Might make cleanup a little easier?

Sherry

CatNipped[_2_]
October 14th 07, 06:05 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.
>
> At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
> am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
> - as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
> really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
> house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
> dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
> wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
> yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
> don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
> seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
> living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
> can try.
> (I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
> problem.)
>
> I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
> about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
> haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/

If you don't mind giving one last thing a try, PetsMart has an igloo looking
litterbox. The cat has to walk up a spiraled ramp on the *inside* of the
box and make a complete 180 then to *down* the ramp slightly before reaching
the litter. Since it's a ramp it shouldn't be hard on her arthritis (I have
a feeling that was one reason for the design) but another benefit is they
can't hang their butt over the side to pee. I know if it's totally a
behavior problem she may just not bother with the litter box at all, but
it's a shot. Knowing you, I'm sure you've ruled out any medical problem,
UTI, interstitial cycstitus, etc. But it could be something as simple as
aging eyesight or a touch of alzheimers.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and please keep us posted about Mimi.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hugs,

CatNipped

> -L.

-L.
October 14th 07, 01:52 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> If you don't mind giving one last thing a try, PetsMart has an igloo looking
> litterbox. The cat has to walk up a spiraled ramp on the *inside* of the
> box and make a complete 180 then to *down* the ramp slightly before reaching
> the litter. Since it's a ramp it shouldn't be hard on her arthritis (I have
> a feeling that was one reason for the design) but another benefit is they
> can't hang their butt over the side to pee. I know if it's totally a
> behavior problem she may just not bother with the litter box at all, but
> it's a shot. Knowing you, I'm sure you've ruled out any medical problem,
> UTI, interstitial cycstitus, etc. But it could be something as simple as
> aging eyesight or a touch of alzheimers.
>
> Whatever you decide to do, good luck and please keep us posted about Mimi.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Thanks, guys, for the input. I'll see if I can find this box, and
also look for the Pee Pads. Towel is a great idea, Sherry, but not
practical for me at this point (I am doing way to much laundry as it
is). I'm not giving up on her yet - just really, really
frustrated. :/ We know her eyesight is not the best, and that may be
part of it too. I leave a light on for her, so she can see the box at
night.

Thanks again - you guys are great. :)

-L.

> > -L.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 14th 07, 02:31 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>> If you don't mind giving one last thing a try, PetsMart has an igloo
>> looking
>> litterbox. The cat has to walk up a spiraled ramp on the *inside* of the
>> box and make a complete 180 then to *down* the ramp slightly before
>> reaching
>> the litter. Since it's a ramp it shouldn't be hard on her arthritis (I
>> have
>> a feeling that was one reason for the design) but another benefit is they
>> can't hang their butt over the side to pee. I know if it's totally a
>> behavior problem she may just not bother with the litter box at all, but
>> it's a shot. Knowing you, I'm sure you've ruled out any medical problem,
>> UTI, interstitial cycstitus, etc. But it could be something as simple as
>> aging eyesight or a touch of alzheimers.
>>
>> Whatever you decide to do, good luck and please keep us posted about
>> Mimi.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Thanks, guys, for the input. I'll see if I can find this box, and
> also look for the Pee Pads. Towel is a great idea, Sherry, but not
> practical for me at this point (I am doing way to much laundry as it
> is). I'm not giving up on her yet - just really, really
> frustrated. :/

I know exactly how you feel - one of my children was a bed wetter and it was
very hard and frustrating to constantly have to change his bedding,
sometimes two or three times a night. As much as you love your family, you
can't help but be exasperated when they cause you constant extra work and
aggravation.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> We know her eyesight is not the best, and that may be
> part of it too. I leave a light on for her, so she can see the box at
> night.
>
> Thanks again - you guys are great. :)
>
> -L.
>

>> > -L.

Sherry
October 14th 07, 03:07 PM
On Oct 14, 7:52 am, "-L." > wrote:
> CatNipped wrote:
> > If you don't mind giving one last thing a try, PetsMart has an igloo looking
> > litterbox. The cat has to walk up a spiraled ramp on the *inside* of the
> > box and make a complete 180 then to *down* the ramp slightly before reaching
> > the litter. Since it's a ramp it shouldn't be hard on her arthritis (I have
> > a feeling that was one reason for the design) but another benefit is they
> > can't hang their butt over the side to pee. I know if it's totally a
> > behavior problem she may just not bother with the litter box at all, but
> > it's a shot. Knowing you, I'm sure you've ruled out any medical problem,
> > UTI, interstitial cycstitus, etc. But it could be something as simple as
> > aging eyesight or a touch of alzheimers.
>
> > Whatever you decide to do, good luck and please keep us posted about Mimi.
>
> > Hugs,
>
> > CatNipped
>
> > Hugs,
>
> > CatNipped
>
> Thanks, guys, for the input. I'll see if I can find this box, and
> also look for the Pee Pads. Towel is a great idea, Sherry, but not
> practical for me at this point (I am doing way to much laundry as it
> is). I'm not giving up on her yet - just really, really
> frustrated. :/ We know her eyesight is not the best, and that may be
> part of it too. I leave a light on for her, so she can see the box at
> night.
>
> Thanks again - you guys are great. :)
>
> -L.

I hear that. If I had laundry to do for a whole family instead of just
us 2, it would be different. I think you're just venting though, and I
also think that's perfectly natural. We all have days where there's
too much litter kicked in the floor, too much hair all over our
clothes, too many hairballs to step in. Plus a family to clean up
after, no matter how much we love the family *and* the cats, it's
enough to make you want to throw your hands up sometimes.
Sherry

-L.
October 14th 07, 03:24 PM
Sherry wrote:

> I hear that. If I had laundry to do for a whole family instead of just
> us 2, it would be different. I think you're just venting though, and I
> also think that's perfectly natural. We all have days where there's
> too much litter kicked in the floor, too much hair all over our
> clothes, too many hairballs to step in. Plus a family to clean up
> after, no matter how much we love the family *and* the cats, it's
> enough to make you want to throw your hands up sometimes.
> Sherry

I think that's it, in a nutshell. I am stretched pretty thin lately
and the cat pee is more than I can take some days. I have had a bad
run of bad pees this week. :/

By the way, it was Renee B. (not Rhonda) and her cat Cleo, with the
story in alt.cats, if anyone wants to read her story. It was a sad
story. It has stuck with me for a long time.

-L.

Elizabeth Blake[_2_]
October 14th 07, 06:23 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.

Can you get some kind of large tray to set the litter box in, so that any
urine that goes over the side just drips into the pan, which can be easily
pickd up and rinsed out? It would probably take up quite a bit of floor
space but if you have the room, it's another option.

Stinky, one of our cats at work, will sometimes end up dripping outside the
box. She backs up into a corner and many times some of the urine ends up
outside. It happens with covered & uncovered boxes (we have 4). I don't
think her problem is behavioral, more like she had her back end up a little
too high that time. Most of the urine is in the box. We have one big, tall
storage tub that I use as one littler box and all urine stays in that one.
She has no trouble getting in & out of boxes but an arthritic cat might need
a step to help her access a tall box.

--
Liz

Rhonda[_3_]
October 14th 07, 06:27 PM
-L. wrote:

> Thanks, guys, for the input. I'll see if I can find this box, and
> also look for the Pee Pads. Towel is a great idea, Sherry, but not
> practical for me at this point (I am doing way to much laundry as it
> is). I'm not giving up on her yet - just really, really
> frustrated. :/ We know her eyesight is not the best, and that may be
> part of it too. I leave a light on for her, so she can see the box at
> night.

Hey Lyn,

If she is hanging her rear over the end, can you find a litter box with
taller sides? It sounds like the current entry is too low. We've even
resorted to looking in the Rubbermaid/plastic container section of
stores for tall-sided things to use as litter boxes.

Hope you find a solution. Is this on a carpet? If so, you can get a big
scrap of linoleum to put under the box.

Good luck,

Rhonda

-Lost
October 15th 07, 02:38 AM
Response from "-L." >:

> Sherry wrote:
>> >
>> I hear that. If I had laundry to do for a whole family instead of
>> just us 2, it would be different. I think you're just venting
>> though, and I also think that's perfectly natural. We all have
>> days where there's too much litter kicked in the floor, too much
>> hair all over our clothes, too many hairballs to step in. Plus a
>> family to clean up after, no matter how much we love the family
>> *and* the cats, it's enough to make you want to throw your hands
>> up sometimes. Sherry
>
> I think that's it, in a nutshell. I am stretched pretty thin
> lately and the cat pee is more than I can take some days. I have
> had a bad run of bad pees this week. :/
>
> By the way, it was Renee B. (not Rhonda) and her cat Cleo, with
> the story in alt.cats, if anyone wants to read her story. It was
> a sad story. It has stuck with me for a long time.

I don't suppose you have a Message-ID for it do you? I did a little
search and only came up with someone running their trap something to
the effect of every animal Renee has ever had has been euthanized.

I also saw you come to her defense. : )

Or do you know the title of the post?

Thanks, and I hope your poor kitty and you can come to a reasonable
solution. I think the outside shed idea is perfect by the way.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Patty Jo
October 15th 07, 04:49 AM
I had that problem with my 17 year old cat too. She'd poop inside the
box, but pee over the edge. Solution: I went to Walmart & got some puppy
training pads & layed one in front of the box. Problem solved. I called
them her diapers! And usually changed the pad once a day. Sometmes you
just gotta "go with the flow". (No pun intended.) :-}..pj

October 15th 07, 06:19 PM
On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.
>
> At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
> am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
> - as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
> really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
> house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
> dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
> wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
> yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
> don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
> seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
> living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
> can try.
> (I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
> problem.)
>
> I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
> about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
> haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/
>
> -L.

Sorry, I meant to put this link in my earlier reply:

http://www.catsplay.com/bci_683805.php3

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rene S.
October 15th 07, 09:57 PM
L,

I am sorry you are so frustrated. . but at her age, I think putting
Mimi outdoors would be too difficult of a life change for her.

Have you considered confining her to part of the house instead,
perhaps a kitchen/bathroom/den area where clean up is easier? Have you
asked the vet about medication? I don't usually advocate medication,
but with her age and the loss of Peewee, it's possible she's having
some stress/anxiety issues and meds might help her.

Keep the faith and help her enjoy the remainder of her life as best as
possible.

Rene

Sheelagh >o
October 16th 07, 12:39 PM
On 14 Oct, 03:00, "-L." > wrote:
> Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.
>
> At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
> am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
> - as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
> really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
> house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
> dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
> wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
> yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
> don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
> seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
> living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
> can try.
> (I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
> problem.)
>
> I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
> about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
> haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/
>
> -L.

Poor you...
I feel for you because I went through this one too, & sometimes It
does feel like you have reached the end of your tether @ times. I have
already read most of the comments & noted that washing is a bit of an
issue too, but I thought I might as well mention that the answer we
came up with was to buy a couple of cheap bath mats that you use to
stand on when you get out of the shower or the bath.

Because the other side is rubber, it saves your floor, & keeps
everything on the top surface, & it's very easy to get rid of any
nasty packages & stops the floor getting soaked too. If you have a
couple of them, you can have one in the machine whilst the other one
is down ready to collect any leaks Mimi might make, all be it by
accident.
Just a thought....
Sheelagh >"o"<

October 22nd 07, 12:57 AM
On Oct 13, 10:35 pm, Sherry > wrote:
> [...]
> > haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> > and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> > and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/
>
> > -L.
>
> I think you've probably heard me tell this story before about Yoda. It
> made
> me join the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" club. Long story short,
> Yoda
> pees on anything in floor. I started putting a clean towel down, every
> day, next
> to the litterbox.
> He pees on it, and I toss it in the washer. We're both a lot happier
> now.
> Anyway, I was wondering if you can't put down a towel folded next to
> the box,
> where she "hangs over". Might make cleanup a little easier?

My Tigger used to do the same thing, until I started treating his CRF.
What your cat is doing is a sign of pain, and straining. Are you doing
anything to treat the CRF? Here is a great group on Yahoo where you
can learn about it: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/
Tigger no longer pees out side of the box. I guess I am more concerned
about what you are doing to treat the disease than I am with the
peeing outside of the box, at this point. You can always put plastic
with paper towels on top to catch the pee if needed. But the most
important thing is the crf.
debnfurboys

James
October 22nd 07, 01:22 AM
> > > Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> > > many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> > > measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.

My cat loves the outdoors and spents most her time out. Maybe your
will like the outdoors too. Being so old probably won't have to worry
about her jumping over the fence.

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:28 AM
On Oct 14, 6:38 pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response from "-L." >:
>

> > Sherry wrote:
>
> >> I hear that. If I had laundry to do for a whole family instead of
> >> just us 2, it would be different. I think you're just venting
> >> though, and I also think that's perfectly natural. We all have
> >> days where there's too much litter kicked in the floor, too much
> >> hair all over our clothes, too many hairballs to step in. Plus a
> >> family to clean up after, no matter how much we love the family
> >> *and* the cats, it's enough to make you want to throw your hands
> >> up sometimes. Sherry
>
> > I think that's it, in a nutshell. I am stretched pretty thin
> > lately and the cat pee is more than I can take some days. I have
> > had a bad run of bad pees this week. :/
>
> > By the way, it was Renee B. (not Rhonda) and her cat Cleo, with
> > the story in alt.cats, if anyone wants to read her story. It was
> > a sad story. It has stuck with me for a long time.
>
> I don't suppose you have a Message-ID for it do you? I did a little
> search and only came up with someone running their trap something to
> the effect of every animal Renee has ever had has been euthanized.
>
> I also saw you come to her defense. : )
>
> Or do you know the title of the post?

It was on-going for months. She really worked to try to save Cleo. :(

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cats/search?group=alt.cats&q=cleo+renee&qt_g=Search+this+group

-L.

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:33 AM
On Oct 14, 10:27 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Thanks, guys, for the input. I'll see if I can find this box, and
> > also look for the Pee Pads. Towel is a great idea, Sherry, but not
> > practical for me at this point (I am doing way to much laundry as it
> > is). I'm not giving up on her yet - just really, really
> > frustrated. :/ We know her eyesight is not the best, and that may be
> > part of it too. I leave a light on for her, so she can see the box at
> > night.
>
> Hey Lyn,
>
> If she is hanging her rear over the end, can you find a litter box with
> taller sides? It sounds like the current entry is too low. We've even
> resorted to looking in the Rubbermaid/plastic container section of
> stores for tall-sided things to use as litter boxes.
>
> Hope you find a solution. Is this on a carpet? If so, you can get a big
> scrap of linoleum to put under the box.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda

I have had her in 5 or 6 different boxes over the last year.
The stupid thing is, as soon as I posted this, she quit peeing outside
the box (knock on wood!).

-L.

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:37 AM
On Oct 21, 4:57 pm, " > wrote:
> [...]
> > day, next
> > to the litterbox.
> > He pees on it, and I toss it in the washer. We're both a lot happier
> > now.
> > Anyway, I was wondering if you can't put down a towel folded next to
> > the box,
> > where she "hangs over". Might make cleanup a little easier?
>
> > Sherry
>
> My Tigger used to do the same thing, until I started treating his CRF.
> What your cat is doing is a sign of pain, and straining. Are you doing
> anything to treat the CRF? Here is a great group on Yahoo where you
> can learn about it:http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/
> Tigger no longer pees out side of the box. I guess I am more concerned
> about what you are doing to treat the disease than I am with the
> peeing outside of the box, at this point.

I used to be a vet tech. I am giving her sub-Qs at home and she's on
Royal Canin vet diet. I'm not one to take drastic measures in a
geriatric cat.

-L.

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:38 AM
On Oct 15, 10:19 am, wrote:
> On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, "-L." > wrote:
>

> > Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> > many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> > measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> > Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> > now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> > litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> > edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> > since we lost Peewee, it got worse - I thought it was the litterbox,
> > so I changed to a covered box. That worked great for about 2 or 3
> > months. Now she's (I think) hanging her butt out the end of the
> > covered box and peeing on the floor. It's happening every day now,
> > and it's frustrating as hell. She's got beginning stages of CRF, so
> > she's peeing more than normal. She's been to the vet and other than a
> > bit of arthritis in her back hips which she's had forever, and the
> > CRF, everything else checks as normal. I have tried (over the years
> > and the last few months) huge, wide and low boxes, a box with the
> > side cut down so she didn't have to step much into it, Jumbo pans and
> > the covered pan. The litter she likes is unscented and I stick with
> > it. I tried a couple others and it made the peeing worse.
>
> > At this point, I have to think it's behavioral, and the vet agrees. I
> > am completely fed up with cleaning up copious amounts of pee every day
> > - as horrible as that may sound to some, it's the truth. I don't
> > really know what to do about it. I'm considering making her a heated
> > house outside (storage shed), and putting a sandbox in the yard. The
> > dog could be out there with her, and she could pee wherever she
> > wants. The yard is completely fenced, and I doubt she would leave the
> > yard. I see this as preferable to euthanizing her, and I *really*
> > don't want to do that over a behavioral issue. But dammit, I
> > seriously can't cope with the peeing. Euthing her would kill me -
> > living outside is a solution I am thinking may be the only thing we
> > can try.
> > (I live in OR - the weather is moderate here, so freezing isn't a
> > problem.)
>
> > I guess I'm posting mainly to get this off my chest. I keep thinking
> > about Rhonda from alt.cats who eventually had to euth her white long-
> > haird cat years ago, after she pooped and peed on the floor forever,
> > and Rhonda had tried everything. I never wanted to be in her shoes,
> > and here I find myself, 6 years later (or so). :/
>
> > -L.
>
> Sorry, I meant to put this link in my earlier reply:
>
> http://www.catsplay.com/bci_683805.php3
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

That is cool! Thanks!
-L.

jmc
October 30th 07, 02:29 AM
Suddenly, without warning, -L. exclaimed (10/14/2007 11:30 AM):
> Most of you know me from me posting here over the last - who knows how
> many years. I don't give up easily and I don't advocate drastic
> measures. But I am at the end of my rope with Mimi.
>
> Mimi is my tortie I have had since she was 7 weeks, and she's 17.5
> now. Off and on over the last 5 or 6 years she's peed outside the
> litterbox, I thought, as an accident - she'd hang her butt over the
> edge and pee. It would happen every few weeks. No big deal. Well,
> since we lost Peewee, it got worse
> -L.

I'm just back from leave so haven't read all the followups - though I
did see the suggestion of pee-pads and towels. My vote would be for the
pee-pads.

Meep is the same - she occasionally pees outside the box. She's done it
less since I've switched her to all wet food, and add water to it, so
her cystitis is finally under control (re the vet). But she still does,
every once in a while.

I worry sometimes that she's got some chronic problem from the cystitis,
because when I catch her at it, sometimes what she does is start with
her butt low, and it rises slowly, seems like it's taking a certain
amount of force to pee, and the force causes her butt to lift. It's not
cystitis, and she doesn't do this every time. Does Mimi do this?

Usually, for Meep, it's a matter of cleanliness. If she's used the box
*once* and it hasn't been cleaned, she'll often pee outside the box. So
this is something I usually find when I clean the box first thing in the
morning. Yea, she has me well-trained :)

What I've considered doing is finding a small, shallowish pan that I can
set in front of the box, to catch the miss. Like a 9x9 brownie pan or
something?

What I have right now is a really gigantic litter mat
(http://tinyurl.com/2mukfg - the really big one); if she pees over the
edge and I can't get to it right away, I just sprinkle some litter over
the wet spot. That soaks up the problem, and I can clean the mat at a
better time.

Good luck. I understand your frustration.