PDA

View Full Version : collar that doesn't come off?

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 15th 07, 12:00 AM
I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of a
collar that will not come off my cat.

my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are a
waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric one
which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.

finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but guess
what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed to
tear it in half.

anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough that
my little guy doesn't choke?

Gail
October 15th 07, 12:10 AM
Collars on dangerous on cats. I would not use one especially one that does
not come off.
Gail
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of
> collar that will not come off my cat.
>
> my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are
> waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric
> one
> which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.
>
> finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but
> guess
> what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed
> tear it in half.
>
> anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough
> that
> my little guy doesn't choke?

AZ Nomad
October 15th 07, 01:03 AM
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:00:42 GMT, kitkat via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of a
>collar that will not come off my cat.

>my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are a
>waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric one
>which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.

>finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but guess
>what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed to
>tear it in half.

>anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough that
>my little guy doesn't choke?

There's no such thing. Put a chip under the cat's skin if you need ID. Put
kitty in a carrier if you need to restrict movement.
Colars are a waste of time and money.

cybercat
October 15th 07, 03:27 AM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of
> collar that will not come off my cat.
>
> my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are
> waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric
> one
> which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.
>
> finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but
> guess
> what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed
> tear it in half.
>
> anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough
> that
> my little guy doesn't choke?

Did you miss the point that when the collar "will not come off" the cat
can hang itself and choke to death because of it?

James
October 15th 07, 03:32 AM
On Oct 14, 7:00 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of a
> collar that will not come off my cat.
>
> my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are a
> waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric one
> which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.
>
> finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but guess
> what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed to
> tear it in half.
>
> anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough that
> my little guy doesn't choke?

It might be futile in the case of your cat. Some are like that. I
was surprised that my cat made no fuss at all the first time I put it
on her. Maybe it's more comfortable for long hair cats. The collar
is very light and kind of float on her fur.

cybercat
October 15th 07, 03:56 AM
"Gail" > wrote in message ...
> Collars on dangerous on cats. I would not use one especially one that does
> not come off.

Especially on an INDOOR ONLY cat, ffs.

dgk
October 15th 07, 01:38 PM
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:32:14 -0700, James >
wrote:

>On Oct 14, 7:00 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I just read the glo collar post which made me wonder if any of you know of a
>> collar that will not come off my cat.
>>
>> my cat stewie finds a way to get off EVERY collar. the breakaway ones are a
>> waste of my time. those are off in 15 minutes. Then I got some fabric one
>> which was loose but not breakaway. he chewed through it in 3 days.
>>
>> finally I bought a leather studded collar - kept it a little loose but guess
>> what...he chewed through a leather collar. it took 10 days but he managed to
>> tear it in half.
>>
>> anyone know of something that isn't going to come off but loose enough that
>> my little guy doesn't choke?
>>
>> --
>
>It might be futile in the case of your cat. Some are like that. I
>was surprised that my cat made no fuss at all the first time I put it
>on her. Maybe it's more comfortable for long hair cats. The collar
>is very light and kind of float on her fur.

It's futile with my Marlo. She is from the neighborhood and I was
afraid that she would get out of my backyard (fenced in) because she
is much more streetwise than my other two.

So I put a collar on her and it was gone in five minutes. I tried
another one and that was gone by the time she came inside to eat an
hour later. So I gave up. If she gets out, she can take care of
herself pretty well and I'll find her I hope.

James
October 15th 07, 05:50 PM
On Oct 14, 10:56 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Gail" > wrote in ...
> > Collars on dangerous on cats. I would not use one especially one that does
> > not come off.
>
> Especially on an INDOOR ONLY cat, ffs.

I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
without me knowing it.

Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 15th 07, 06:26 PM
for a while I gave up on the collar altogether because stewie is indeed an
indoor cat. but he slipped ou when I was bringing in the dry cleaning one
day and I was in a state of total panic that he didn't have a collar (and of
course that he got out).

as for the choking thing - obviously I don't want my cat to chock on his
collar - but I also think he needs to wear one. that said this requires that
he wear one that will actually stay on.

to the individual who so rudely chastized me, my question is this - do you
want your cat to get lost and end up picked up by animal control and killed?
well neither do I - some things are a tough call and I think my cat is more
likely to get lost than hang himself.

as for the chip - how does one get one of those and how does it work?

October 15th 07, 08:28 PM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote

> as for the chip - how does one get one of those and how does it work?

Your vet can fill you in.

AZ Nomad
October 15th 07, 08:55 PM
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:26:53 GMT, kitkat via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:

>for a while I gave up on the collar altogether because stewie is indeed an
>indoor cat. but he slipped ou when I was bringing in the dry cleaning one
>day and I was in a state of total panic that he didn't have a collar (and of
>course that he got out).

>as for the choking thing - obviously I don't want my cat to chock on his
>collar - but I also think he needs to wear one. that said this requires that
>he wear one that will actually stay on.

>to the individual who so rudely chastized me, my question is this - do you
>want your cat to get lost and end up picked up by animal control and killed?
>well neither do I - some things are a tough call and I think my cat is more
>likely to get lost than hang himself.

>as for the chip - how does one get one of those and how does it work?
It negates your entire post.

Why don't you do a google search for "cat chip ID" and quit making
such a fool of yourself?

Trish
October 15th 07, 09:55 PM
I didn't know too much about microchips until I adopted 2 sister cats
from a local shelter 3 years ago. The shelter puts the chips in all
their animals. I liked the idea so much, I put it in my other kitty
we adopted. The vet charged me about 40 dollars. Well worth it!!!
All vets and shelters in the US have a scanner to read the chips, I
believe.

Trish

dgk
October 16th 07, 01:34 PM
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:55:47 -0700, Trish >
wrote:

>I didn't know too much about microchips until I adopted 2 sister cats
>from a local shelter 3 years ago. The shelter puts the chips in all
>their animals. I liked the idea so much, I put it in my other kitty
>we adopted. The vet charged me about 40 dollars. Well worth it!!!
>All vets and shelters in the US have a scanner to read the chips, I
>believe.
>
>Trish

Well, not all, and the big problem is that there are several standards
and most vets can only detect one type. Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong.

My vets (two brothers) who I like very much, don't do the chipping
because they're waiting until there is a single standard. Also, I have
read that there is some risk associated with the chips, well, there is
with everything I suppose.

PawsForThought
October 16th 07, 06:11 PM
I've been using this collar, made by Harmony. It can stretch over the
cat's head if he gets caught on something.

http://www.harmonybuckles.com/merchant/index.html

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 17th 07, 06:01 AM
perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
since they're right here!

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
option....not a contradiction.

dgk
October 17th 07, 02:22 PM
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:01:52 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
>marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
>what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
>since they're right here!
>
>and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
>only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....
>
>not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
>cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
>option....not a contradiction.

Both is not a bad idea. Someone finding the cat might no nothing about
chips, but a collar is obvious.

honeybunch
October 17th 07, 03:22 PM
On Oct 17, 9:22 am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:01:52 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
> >marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
> >what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
> >since they're right here!
>
> >and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
> >only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....
>
> >not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
> >cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
> >option....not a contradiction.
>
> Both is not a bad idea. Someone finding the cat might no nothing about
> chips, but a collar is obvious.

Whole Foods stocks a nice purple plastic herbal collar that I've found
to be successful even though Beebe is a male cat and I guess purple is
a sissy color. His pelt is so thick that it really cant be seen
anyway. Its called Pet Guard Herbal Collar and it smells real nice.
Beebe has his mind on so many other things that he doesn't seem to
care about the collar. I put a tiny bell on it and his name tag.

AZ Nomad
October 17th 07, 05:05 PM
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:01:52 GMT, kitkat via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:

>perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
>marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
>what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
>since they're right here!

>and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
>only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

>not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
>cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
>option....not a contradiction.

If kitty goes outside, a non-breakaway collar is deadly and a breakaway
collar will get left behind somewhere.

It's a no-brainer like the decision to get kitty neutered.

-Lost
October 17th 07, 09:52 PM
Response from "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>:

> and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the
> chip can only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in
> any way....

http://www.homeagain.com/3_3.html#myth9

"The chip is made out of an inert, biocompatible substance, which
means it won't cause an allergic reaction or degenerate over time. In
addition, HomeAgain is the only microchip on the market today that
has the Bio-Bond Patented migration feature to help ensure that the
chip stays in place."

I actually meant to post this in response to someone else recently
who mentioned something about the chip migrating. I forgot where I
read that though...

Good luck!

(Also, if you are truly sincere about helping your cat and not just
sticking a noose on his neck then I'd ignore the personal attacks.
YOU are the smart one for trying to do the right thing. Just make
sure you have all the facts so that you STAY the smart one.)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

mystro
October 18th 07, 02:59 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

mystro
October 18th 07, 03:32 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:56 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Gail" > wrote in ...
> > > Collars on dangerous on cats. I would not use one especially one that does
> > > not come off.
>
> > Especially on an INDOOR ONLY cat, ffs.
>
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

mystro
October 18th 07, 07:37 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something same for a dog but you can bet it's
ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on or
a 150lb person falling on them.

mystro
October 18th 07, 07:48 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

mystro
October 18th 07, 08:00 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

mystro
October 18th 07, 08:05 AM
On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
> a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
> without me knowing it.
>
> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

-Lost
October 18th 07, 03:31 PM
Response from mystro >:

> On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James > wrote:
>> I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped
>> on her a few times without it. She does not meow. She often
>> comes near me without me knowing it.
>>
>> Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?
>
> Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.
>
> I'm sure on rare occation a cat
> might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can
> bet it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
> their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped
> on and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
> fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a
> cat died from hanging?

Hey um, mystro. Do you know what latency or lag is? Network
congestion and whatnot? There is normally no need to post, wait 2
minutes and post again if you do not see your own post.

For example... I see your post 6 times. At first I thought it was a
mistake at the server end or maybe you even hit send twice, but it
appears you rewrote the message 4 times.

Have a little patience friend. Good luck.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

mystro
October 18th 07, 04:12 PM
Oops, I had connection problems and sending my post was accidently
sent everytime I tried to reconnect.

mystro
October 18th 07, 04:17 PM
Lost,

It was the same message and I was waiting..sometimes ten min or so,
weird. sorry folks

Gadget Man
October 24th 07, 10:09 AM
There is a lot of information on the dangers of collars and an
alternative type of electronic cat flap at http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/