PDA

View Full Version : Archer's Broken Leg Update

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 04:57 PM
We finally got to the vet's last night (it had been storming for the last
couple of days and the vet's office lost power).

They took another x-ray and said the bone was calcifying nicely, but when
they took the tape off the end of his cast the vet saw that his toes were
swollen (he thinks Archer may have grown a bit in the last 3 week and caused
the cast to be too tight). When the vet touched his toes Archer started
licking my hand, the more the vet touched the harder he licked until finally
he just had to take a little nip (no broken skin - just a hurt/anxiety
nip) - then he started purring and shaking (a sure sign of pain). They had
to sedate him, remove the cast, and then put on another cast. The new cast
lets me see his toes (which are red and swollen), but it also allows him to
lick his toes (which might not be a good thing because he won't *stop*
licking them - I'm sure it's because they hurt him). The vet said the new
cast can come off in 2 or 3 weeks and Archer will have to remain in his
kennel for that long. I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

cybercat
October 17th 07, 07:11 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote:

> I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 07:25 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>
>> I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!
>>
> That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
> this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At least not
in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is that the emergency vet
put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking Archer's regular vet would replace
it on his follow-up visit?). I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't
put the cast on at the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace
bandage because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put on two
days later.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
October 17th 07, 08:13 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!
>>>
>> That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
>> this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.
>
> Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At least not
> in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is that the emergency
> vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking Archer's regular vet would
> replace it on his follow-up visit?). I know that when I broke my wrist
> they didn't put the cast on at the hospital, they just put on a splint
> wrapped in an ace bandage because they said it would continue to swell
> over the next day or so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the
> permanent cast put on two days later.

You know, I don't know why the urge to blame someone is so strong.
I think it's a backass attempt to ease that angst you get when you look
at their innocent little faces and know they are hurting. I just hope he
heals soon.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 08:17 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

>>> That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
>>> this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.
>>
>> Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At least
>> not in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is that the
>> emergency vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking Archer's regular
>> vet would replace it on his follow-up visit?). I know that when I broke
>> my wrist they didn't put the cast on at the hospital, they just put on a
>> splint wrapped in an ace bandage because they said it would continue to
>> swell over the next day or so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have
>> the permanent cast put on two days later.
>>

> You know, I don't know why the urge to blame someone is so strong.
> I think it's a backass attempt to ease that angst you get when you look
> at their innocent little faces and know they are hurting. I just hope he
> heals soon.

I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at his
toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you when he
thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the vet probed
his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :<

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
October 17th 07, 08:27 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at
> his toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you
> when he thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the vet
> probed his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :<

Yeah, really. They are so innocent. At least when they aren't being
evil. ;) I was so freaked out when Gracie sprained or bruised her
leg on her new window seat, I made the vet give me kitty pain
meds just in case she showed signs of pain again. :D

I never gave it to her. She was fine. But the flinching and limping
made me take her to the vet, then the emergency pm vet, then
BACK to the vet, where of course she did not exhibit limp or
flinch 1. lol

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 09:29 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at
>> his toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you
>> when he thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the
>> vet probed his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :<
>>

> Yeah, really. They are so innocent. At least when they aren't being
> evil. ;) I was so freaked out when Gracie sprained or bruised her
> leg on her new window seat, I made the vet give me kitty pain
> meds just in case she showed signs of pain again. :D
>
> I never gave it to her. She was fine. But the flinching and limping
> made me take her to the vet, then the emergency pm vet, then
> BACK to the vet, where of course she did not exhibit limp or
> flinch 1. lol

LOL! Of course.

I'm the same way - we're not on about $600 paid to vets and PetsMart because
Archer is a klutz! ;> But I'd rather make sure they're OK than to let a
possible problem get worse.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 09:40 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>> I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at
>>> his toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you
>>> when he thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the
>>> vet probed his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :<
>>>

>> Yeah, really. They are so innocent. At least when they aren't being
>> evil. ;) I was so freaked out when Gracie sprained or bruised her
>> leg on her new window seat, I made the vet give me kitty pain
>> meds just in case she showed signs of pain again. :D
>>
>> I never gave it to her. She was fine. But the flinching and limping
>> made me take her to the vet, then the emergency pm vet, then
>> BACK to the vet, where of course she did not exhibit limp or
>> flinch 1. lol
>
> LOL! Of course.
>
> I'm the same way - we're not on about $600 paid to vets and PetsMart
> because Archer is a klutz! ;> But I'd rather make sure they're OK than
> to let a possible problem get worse.

"now" - isn't it amazing how making a typo on just one letter can change the
whole meaning of a sentence!! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

-Lost
October 17th 07, 09:48 PM
Response from "CatNipped" >:

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!
>>>
>> That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
>> this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.
>
> Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At
> least not in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is
> that the emergency vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking
> Archer's regular vet would replace it on his follow-up visit?).

And don't you just love when someone assumes something when your arse
depends on it or your poor kitty's?

> I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't put the cast on at
> the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace bandage
> because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
> so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put
> on two days later.

Exactly. So Archer's leg was casted immediately after the garage
incident? That is most definitely the problem. I forgot (or maybe
didn't know) that Archer was only 6 months old. He didn't grow
enough in 3 weeks to constitute constriction.

And much like cybercat I just hope little Archer gets proper
treatment and heals quickly!

Good luck with Archer. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 09:55 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response from "CatNipped" >:

>>> That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
>>> this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.
>>
>> Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At
>> least not in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is
>> that the emergency vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking
>> Archer's regular vet would replace it on his follow-up visit?).
>
> And don't you just love when someone assumes something when your arse
> depends on it or your poor kitty's?
>
>> I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't put the cast on at
>> the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace bandage
>> because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
>> so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put
>> on two days later.
>
> Exactly. So Archer's leg was casted immediately after the garage
> incident? That is most definitely the problem. I forgot (or maybe
> didn't know) that Archer was only 6 months old. He didn't grow
> enough in 3 weeks to constitute constriction.
>
> And much like cybercat I just hope little Archer gets proper
> treatment and heals quickly!
>
> Good luck with Archer. : )

DH is home today and I just called - he took the tape off the end of
Archer's cast and said, even though they're still a bit swollen, his toes
aren't inflamed and he's not acting like they hurt. I just hope everything
from now on goes OK until he gets his cast off.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 17th 07, 09:57 PM
Response from "CatNipped" >:

> DH is home today and I just called - he took the tape off the end
> of Archer's cast and said, even though they're still a bit
> swollen, his toes aren't inflamed and he's not acting like they
> hurt. I just hope everything from now on goes OK until he gets
> his cast off.

Amen, sister. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

SantaSteeler
October 17th 07, 10:01 PM
he will do just great! you will make sure of that.

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "-Lost" > wrote in message
>> Response from "CatNipped" >:

>>> Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At
>>> least not in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is
>>> that the emergency vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking
>>> Archer's regular vet would replace it on his follow-up visit?).
>>
>> And don't you just love when someone assumes something when your arse
>> depends on it or your poor kitty's?
>>
>>> I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't put the cast on at
>>> the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace bandage
>>> because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
>>> so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put
>>> on two days later.
>>
>> Exactly. So Archer's leg was casted immediately after the garage
>> incident? That is most definitely the problem. I forgot (or maybe
>> didn't know) that Archer was only 6 months old. He didn't grow
>> enough in 3 weeks to constitute constriction.
>>
>> And much like cybercat I just hope little Archer gets proper
>> treatment and heals quickly!
>>
>> Good luck with Archer. : )
>
> DH is home today and I just called - he took the tape off the end of
> Archer's cast and said, even though they're still a bit swollen, his toes
> aren't inflamed and he's not acting like they hurt. I just hope
> everything from now on goes OK until he gets his cast off.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>

>> --
>> -Lost
>> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
>> kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 17th 07, 10:04 PM
"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> he will do just great! you will make sure of that.

Hey SS! What are you doing in these parts?

Yep, I think he'll be OK - I'll just be glad when it's over and his cast is
off!

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
October 17th 07, 10:10 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> We finally got to the vet's last night (it had been storming for the last
> couple of days and the vet's office lost power).
>
> They took another x-ray and said the bone was calcifying nicely, but when
> they took the tape off the end of his cast the vet saw that his toes were
> swollen (he thinks Archer may have grown a bit in the last 3 week and
> caused the cast to be too tight). When the vet touched his toes Archer
> started licking my hand, the more the vet touched the harder he licked
> until finally he just had to take a little nip (no broken skin - just a
> hurt/anxiety nip) - then he started purring and shaking (a sure sign of
> pain). They had to sedate him, remove the cast, and then put on another
> cast. The new cast lets me see his toes (which are red and swollen), but
> it also allows him to lick his toes (which might not be a good thing
> because he won't *stop* licking them - I'm sure it's because they hurt
> him). The vet said the new cast can come off in 2 or 3 weeks and Archer
> will have to remain in his kennel for that long. I'm at work worrying
> about my baby boy!
>
> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Could you put some type of wrap over the toes? -- something that you could
easily remove to check the toes but something that would prevent Archer from
excessive licking or chewing?

MaryL

SantaSteeler
October 18th 07, 01:11 AM
left the other NG. Way too much infighting. I have actually been here for
months. By the way folks I have 4 dogs and 4 cats and they are all indoor
pets, right CAT?

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> he will do just great! you will make sure of that.
>
> Hey SS! What are you doing in these parts?
>
> Yep, I think he'll be OK - I'll just be glad when it's over and his cast
> is off!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
October 18th 07, 01:28 PM
"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> left the other NG. Way too much infighting. I have actually been here
> for months. By the way folks I have 4 dogs and 4 cats and they are all
> indoor pets, right CAT?

Well, a belated welcome then. Although this group has had its squabbling
too - you just happened to get here during a relatively calm period.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> he will do just great! you will make sure of that.
>>
>> Hey SS! What are you doing in these parts?
>>
>> Yep, I think he'll be OK - I'll just be glad when it's over and his cast
>> is off!
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
October 18th 07, 04:05 PM

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> We finally got to the vet's last night (it had been storming for the last
>> couple of days and the vet's office lost power).
>>
>> They took another x-ray and said the bone was calcifying nicely, but when
>> they took the tape off the end of his cast the vet saw that his toes were
>> swollen (he thinks Archer may have grown a bit in the last 3 week and
>> caused the cast to be too tight). When the vet touched his toes Archer
>> started licking my hand, the more the vet touched the harder he licked
>> until finally he just had to take a little nip (no broken skin - just a
>> hurt/anxiety nip) - then he started purring and shaking (a sure sign of
>> pain). They had to sedate him, remove the cast, and then put on another
>> cast. The new cast lets me see his toes (which are red and swollen), but
>> it also allows him to lick his toes (which might not be a good thing
>> because he won't *stop* licking them - I'm sure it's because they hurt
>> him). The vet said the new cast can come off in 2 or 3 weeks and Archer
>> will have to remain in his kennel for that long. I'm at work worrying
>> about my baby boy!
>>
>> --
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>> See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
>>

> Could you put some type of wrap over the toes? -- something that you
> could easily remove to check the toes but something that would prevent
> Archer from excessive licking or chewing?
>
> MaryL

He's stopped licking them now - we think the problem was that the tape was
stuck to the fur on his toes and he was trying to lick it off. Once we
completely removed the tape he stopped licking. The only other puzzling
thing now is that he keeps shaking that leg, like he's trying to shake the
cast off - he didn't do that with the first cast.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
October 18th 07, 04:29 PM
Response from "CatNipped" >:

> The only other puzzling
> thing now is that he keeps shaking that leg, like he's trying to
> shake the cast off - he didn't do that with the first cast.

So it is him definitely manually shaking it? The leg is not
involuntarily shaking or trembling?

I wonder if he's just itchy? And since his leg is now much better he
has the ability to shake it. Whereas before it probably hurt too bad
to shake.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped
October 18th 07, 05:54 PM
On Oct 18, 10:29 am, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response from "CatNipped" >:
>
> > The only other puzzling
> > thing now is that he keeps shaking that leg, like he's trying to
> > shake the cast off - he didn't do that with the first cast.
>
> So it is him definitely manually shaking it? The leg is not
> involuntarily shaking or trembling?
>
> I wonder if he's just itchy? And since his leg is now much better he
> has the ability to shake it. Whereas before it probably hurt too bad
> to shake.
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

Hmmmm. I didn't think about that. Yes, he's definitely doing it...
have you ever seen a cat step in something wet and as the walk away
they'll stick their leg out and shake it (think wet dog type shake).
That's what he does every so often. It may just be that since this
cast isn't as tight he thinks if he shakes it enough it will slip off.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
October 18th 07, 05:58 PM
On Oct 18, 10:14 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Have you ever broken a bone Lori.

Gads, yes, just last year I almost shattered my wrist - it is still
giving me problems 15 months later (I'm going to see a
neuropsyiologist on the 29th to see if I also injured a nerve in my
neck).

> I hate to say this most animals know when it is ok to do something. I
> remember watching animal planet and the tiger cub had broken its leg. They
> cast it up after a few weeks the cub refused to even move till they removed
> the cast.
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

Well, we're talking kitten here - kittens are notoriously stupid. I
know that cats are very resilient - if you just put two cat bones in
the same room they'll heal. But being a kitten, he thinks he is
invulnerable and immortal. If he forgets he has a broken leg and
tries to jump down from something he'll definitely re-break it. It
wasn't a bad break, but it's on the tibia which takes the brunt of the
weight when cats run or jump.

Hugs,

CatNipped