PDA

View Full Version : Buddy is dying - my old warrior has fought his last battle

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 18th 07, 05:14 AM
I am so sad to have to write that. He threw a major clot this morning, he
has lost the use of his entire back section. Legs, tail, bowels and
bladder. He is on strong pain relievers at the vet's office. His bout 2
weeks ago was a precursor to today. I saw him tonight, he was drugged
heavily and they told me I had to leave because my presence was making him
try to move around too much. So we'll take it hour by hour to see what
happens, but we are all pretty sure his time has come. Anything can happen
in the next couple of days but the odds are it will mean he throws yet
another clot and is worse off. But he is in no pain for the moment thanks
to the drugs and the instant that changes I will send him on.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so happy
and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate like a
horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys, played with
the other cats. He was having a ball. He'd not been that way in almost a
year, being sore form arthritis and occasional liver issues.

So has anyone ever seen what I speak of? It is like some life force, deep
down, and very short lived seems to come just before death comes to claim
them. It's almost a magical time as if a blessing for those that have to go
on without them. As if some little mercy does occur at these times for the
dying and the living. I just can't explain it. But I know these last 2
weeks were a special gift of health and happiness just before we have to
part.

I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there are
more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to know
if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."

Paul

cybercat
October 18th 07, 05:34 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am so sad to have to write that.

Paul I am so sorry.

> I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
> have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
> died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
> pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
> know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so
> happy and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate
> like a horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys,
> played with the other cats.

Yes, my first cat rallied and seemed so well right before she lost it all.

Know that those of us who also love our creatures and have lost them, or
fear we will lose them understand how hard this is.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 18th 07, 05:52 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I am so sad to have to write that.
>
> Paul I am so sorry.
>

>> I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah."
>> I have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my
>> father died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering
>> from pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next
>> day. I know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't
>> seemed so happy and content in a while now. Last night was like old
>> times. He ate like a horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played
>> with toys, played with the other cats.
>
> Yes, my first cat rallied and seemed so well right before she lost it all.
>
> Know that those of us who also love our creatures and have lost them, or
> fear we will lose them understand how hard this is.

Thank you, CC. I come here because I know I am not alone. Those that knew
Buddy all agreed he was a fighter. My mother gave him the knickname of old
warrior, because he truly was one. He dodged more bullets than he had a
right to. And I know he did it all for me, because I could just see it in
his eyes. I never thought I'd find another kindred spirit after my first
cat, Zipper passed. I was wrong. I did not find the same spirit, but an
equally unique one and a mere few weeks after Zipper passed. Or better I
say, he found me and he had been very badly hurt himself from somebody who I
know he loved. We healed each other, two broken hearts - a perfect match.

Paul

SantaSteeler
October 18th 07, 06:35 AM
Everyone needs that last spurt of energy to come and say goodbye. He was
saying I will see you on the Bridge when you get there and I will be feeling
great.

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am so sad to have to write that. He threw a major clot this morning, he
>has lost the use of his entire back section. Legs, tail, bowels and
>bladder. He is on strong pain relievers at the vet's office. His bout 2
>weeks ago was a precursor to today. I saw him tonight, he was drugged
>heavily and they told me I had to leave because my presence was making him
>try to move around too much. So we'll take it hour by hour to see what
>happens, but we are all pretty sure his time has come. Anything can happen
>in the next couple of days but the odds are it will mean he throws yet
>another clot and is worse off. But he is in no pain for the moment thanks
>to the drugs and the instant that changes I will send him on.
>
> I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
> have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
> died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
> pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
> know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so
> happy and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate
> like a horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys,
> played with the other cats. He was having a ball. He'd not been that way
> in almost a year, being sore form arthritis and occasional liver issues.
>
> So has anyone ever seen what I speak of? It is like some life force, deep
> down, and very short lived seems to come just before death comes to claim
> them. It's almost a magical time as if a blessing for those that have to
> go on without them. As if some little mercy does occur at these times for
> the dying and the living. I just can't explain it. But I know these last
> 2 weeks were a special gift of health and happiness just before we have to
> part.
>
> I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there
> are more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to
> know if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."
>
> Paul

mlbriggs
October 18th 07, 06:41 AM
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 04:14:32 +0000, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> I am so sad to have to write that. He threw a major clot this morning, he
> has lost the use of his entire back section. Legs, tail, bowels and
> bladder. He is on strong pain relievers at the vet's office. His bout 2
> weeks ago was a precursor to today. I saw him tonight, he was drugged
> heavily and they told me I had to leave because my presence was making him
> try to move around too much. So we'll take it hour by hour to see what
> happens, but we are all pretty sure his time has come. Anything can happen
> in the next couple of days but the odds are it will mean he throws yet
> another clot and is worse off. But he is in no pain for the moment thanks
> to the drugs and the instant that changes I will send him on.
>
> I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
> have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
> died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
> pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
> know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so happy
> and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate like a
> horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys, played with
> the other cats. He was having a ball. He'd not been that way in almost a
> year, being sore form arthritis and occasional liver issues.
>
> So has anyone ever seen what I speak of? It is like some life force, deep
> down, and very short lived seems to come just before death comes to claim
> them. It's almost a magical time as if a blessing for those that have to go
> on without them. As if some little mercy does occur at these times for the
> dying and the living. I just can't explain it. But I know these last 2
> weeks were a special gift of health and happiness just before we have to
> part.
>
> I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there are
> more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to know
> if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."
>
> Paul

There is an old saying that goes like this:
"The candle burns brighter before it goes out."
Yes, I've seen it happen.
"....Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go...."
Sincere condolences

Lesley via CatKB.com
October 18th 07, 10:07 AM
Paul M. Cook wrote:

>I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
>have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
>died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
>pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
>know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so happy
>and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate like a
>horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys, played with
>the other cats. He was having a ball.

My dad had "his best day for a long time" (as my mother put it) the day he
died. Isis (RB) came into the living room to be fussed over the day she died,
in fact, ten minutes before she died, Dave (Other never better half) called
me and said how much better she was

Sorry to hear about Buddy- consoling purrs being sent

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 18th 07, 04:36 PM
He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes ago.
He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit or
anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could have
hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading that like
I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.

He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent patriarch.
He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat who likes to tease
the others mercilessly showed him complete respect. He just had that way.

I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
things saw fit to give me a little special time.

-Lost
October 18th 07, 04:43 PM
Response from "Paul M. Cook" >:

> I'd like to know if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."

First let me say I am really sorry to hear about Buddy. I have been
keeping up with his progress via your posts since a few weeks ago.
I, like Matthew and probably a few others, am sitting here crying.

I know all too well what you mean and I dare not say I know how you
feel, but I know at least that it isn't great. Be strong. As strong
as you possibly can be. Just as you do not want to see Buddy hurt,
he does not want you to hurt.

cindys said, "It would be very interesting to know if there is a
physiological basis for this."

There are 2 things I am familiar with.

1. The body goes to great lengths when its immunity is not
compromised to rally all your energy, chemicals, and antibodies near
the end in an attempt to prolong life. Comparable to an adrenaline
shot or these stories you hear about people lifting cars off of
people because of the severity of the situation.

2. It has always been known that the body is useless without the
mind and as such the mind servers a big purpose on someone's ability
to fight and rally their remaining strength. Once you are resigned
to death and at peace, it becomes easier for your body to let go so
to speak (not in a bad giving up way).

So either way, know that your Buddy is STRONG and you and your mother
were right... he is a WARRIOR. He is doing his best to stay with
you, be strong for both of you, and I am sure he hates to leave you.

Like I have had to learn with all the many deaths I have dealt with
is that you need to release them. You have to let go and know things
are better for them elsewhere. Like SantaSteeler said, he'll be
waiting for you.

I think you already understand though that your love and compassion
is not shared with him by hoping he'd stay at any cost. I can say
don't feel bad about what you know is coming but it never really
helps, you know?

So I will say kiss him and love him as much as you can until you two
share the last word in this waking world...

I wish you and Buddy, both, peace.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 18th 07, 04:46 PM
Response from "Paul M. Cook" >:

> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few
> minutes ago. He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the
> cage, no vomit or anything else. I suppose if he had to go that
> was the best way I could have hoped for and he spared me having to
> put him down. I was dreading that like I can't explain. I am
> glad I could touch him one last time.
>
> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent
> patriarch. He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat
> who likes to tease the others mercilessly showed him complete
> respect. He just had that way.
>
> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides
> these things saw fit to give me a little special time.

Aww, jeez, Paul. I just finished writing a response obviously while
you were writing this.

I am terribly sorry to hear it. As I said in the other post... find
solace in that he is back to the vibrant, energetic kitty you always
knew. There is no such thing as arthritis and pain or anything else
where he is now.

Be at peace, Buddy. And to you, Paul.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
October 18th 07, 05:20 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote
> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
> things saw fit to give me a little special time.

He was one of those cats who was a real treasure, Paul.

Rene S.
October 18th 07, 06:52 PM
On Oct 18, 10:36 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes ago.
> He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit or
> anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could have
> hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading that like
> I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.

Aww, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and the rest of your cats.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
October 18th 07, 10:01 PM
My sincere condolences, Paul--to you and your family, feline and
human. We lost our alpha male Amaretto in April, and it still hurt,
but it is good to know that Buddy is an angel on your shoulder
waiting for you and his other comrades at the Bridge.

All the best,

Peg

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:36:56 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes ago.
>He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit or
>anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could have
>hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading that like
>I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>
>He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent patriarch.
>He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat who likes to tease
>the others mercilessly showed him complete respect. He just had that way.
>
>I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
>things saw fit to give me a little special time.

Candace
October 19th 07, 02:27 AM
On Oct 18, 8:36 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes ago.
> He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit or
> anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could have
> hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading that like
> I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>
> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent patriarch.
> He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat who likes to tease
> the others mercilessly showed him complete respect. He just had that way.
>
> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
> things saw fit to give me a little special time.

I'm very sorry, Paul. They are never with us long enough.

Candace

-Lost
October 19th 07, 03:14 AM
Response from Candace >:

> On Oct 18, 8:36 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few
>> minutes ago. He must have died quietly as there was no mess in
>> the cage, no vomit or anything else. I suppose if he had to go
>> that was the best way I could have hoped for and he spared me
>> having to put him down. I was dreading that like I can't
>> explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>>
>> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent
>> patriarch. He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster
>> cat who likes to tease the others mercilessly showed him complete
>> respect. He just had that way.
>>
>> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides
>> these things saw fit to give me a little special time.
>
> I'm very sorry, Paul. They are never with us long enough.

Candace, that reminded me of a short poem I wrote about loss when I
was a kid. After digging through my portfolios I found it, circa
1989.

***
I have loved and lost, lost and loved and never was it long.
For many years and many tears love lasted through the days.
It was the greatest love words could not tell, even in a song.
How long is long enough you say? I respond, "How about always?"
***

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Candace
October 19th 07, 03:20 AM
On Oct 18, 8:36 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes ago.
> He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit or
> anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could have
> hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading that like
> I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>
> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent patriarch.
> He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat who likes to tease
> the others mercilessly showed him complete respect. He just had that way.
>
> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
> things saw fit to give me a little special time.

I'm very sorry, Paul. They can never be with us long enough.

Candace

October 19th 07, 04:01 AM
In article <[email protected]>, says...

> I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there are
> more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to know
> if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."

Letting go is very hard to do. But I'm at the point in my life where I'd
prefer to let go and euthanize a pet that is suffering rather than
prolong its life for my own benefit.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 19th 07, 04:30 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response from Candace >:
>
>> On Oct 18, 8:36 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>>> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few
>>> minutes ago. He must have died quietly as there was no mess in
>>> the cage, no vomit or anything else. I suppose if he had to go
>>> that was the best way I could have hoped for and he spared me
>>> having to put him down. I was dreading that like I can't
>>> explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>>>
>>> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent
>>> patriarch. He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster
>>> cat who likes to tease the others mercilessly showed him complete
>>> respect. He just had that way.
>>>
>>> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides
>>> these things saw fit to give me a little special time.
>>
>> I'm very sorry, Paul. They are never with us long enough.
>
> Candace, that reminded me of a short poem I wrote about loss when I
> was a kid. After digging through my portfolios I found it, circa
> 1989.
>
> ***
> I have loved and lost, lost and loved and never was it long.
> For many years and many tears love lasted through the days.
> It was the greatest love words could not tell, even in a song.
> How long is long enough you say? I respond, "How about always?"
> ***

Wow, that was very nice. Thanks for sharing it. There were never tears
with the Budster and I. It was 100% pure joy. We never had a bad day, him
and I.

Paul

blkcatgal
October 19th 07, 04:33 AM
Paul, I am so sorry to hear about Buddy. You have my heartfelt condolences.

Sue

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> He passed away sometime during the night. I got the call a few minutes
> ago. He must have died quietly as there was no mess in the cage, no vomit
> or anything else. I suppose if he had to go that was the best way I could
> have hoped for and he spared me having to put him down. I was dreading
> that like I can't explain. I am glad I could touch him one last time.
>
> He ruled my home of 5 cats. But he was always a very benevolent
> patriarch. He ruled with a velvet paw. Even my wild youngster cat who
> likes to tease the others mercilessly showed him complete respect. He
> just had that way.
>
> I'm going to miss him. I am grateful that whatever force guides these
> things saw fit to give me a little special time.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 19th 07, 04:35 AM
Thank you, all of you. I know everyone here shares the same experiences. I
am depressed, sad, lonely and I cried in my car diving home. But time will
heal. Thanks for the kind words. We had the most glorious fall day today,
brilliant sun, crisp clean air and those long lazy shadows that I like so
much. It was a good day for a cat to go to heaven.

Paul

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 19th 07, 04:36 AM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, says...
>
>> I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there
>> are
>> more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to
>> know
>> if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."
>>

> Letting go is very hard to do. But I'm at the point in my life where I'd
> prefer to let go and euthanize a pet that is suffering rather than
> prolong its life for my own benefit.

As do I. And thankfully Budy spared me having to make that decision.

Paul

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 19th 07, 08:09 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> My sincere condolences, Paul--to you and your family, feline and
> human. We lost our alpha male Amaretto in April, and it still hurt,
> but it is good to know that Buddy is an angel on your shoulder
> waiting for you and his other comrades at the Bridge.
>
> All the best,

I have no doubt the denizens of the Bridge will benefit greatly from such a
beneficent, kind and experienced leader. He'll have them all in line and
loving it in no time.

Paul

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 19th 07, 09:04 AM
Thank you.

Paul

Sheelagh>o
October 19th 07, 05:09 PM
On 18 Oct, 05:14, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> I am so sad to have to write that. He threw a major clot this morning, he
> has lost the use of his entire back section. Legs, tail, bowels and
> bladder. He is on strong pain relievers at the vet's office. His bout 2
> weeks ago was a precursor to today. I saw him tonight, he was drugged
> heavily and they told me I had to leave because my presence was making him
> try to move around too much. So we'll take it hour by hour to see what
> happens, but we are all pretty sure his time has come. Anything can happen
> in the next couple of days but the odds are it will mean he throws yet
> another clot and is worse off. But he is in no pain for the moment thanks
> to the drugs and the instant that changes I will send him on.
>
> I just wanted to know if anyone knows what I mean by the "last hoorah." I
> have seen it several times now, in humans as well as pets. When my father
> died last year he rebounded from a month hospital stay suffering from
> pneumonia, spent 5 days at home in good spirits and died the next day. I
> know the last 2 weeks with Buddy were remarkable. He hasn't seemed so happy
> and content in a while now. Last night was like old times. He ate like a
> horse from my plate, sat in my lap, drooled, played with toys, played with
> the other cats. He was having a ball. He'd not been that way in almost a
> year, being sore form arthritis and occasional liver issues.
>
> So has anyone ever seen what I speak of? It is like some life force, deep
> down, and very short lived seems to come just before death comes to claim
> them. It's almost a magical time as if a blessing for those that have to go
> on without them. As if some little mercy does occur at these times for the
> dying and the living. I just can't explain it. But I know these last 2
> weeks were a special gift of health and happiness just before we have to
> part.
>
> I just know I have to let him go. Even if he pulls through this, there are
> more clots waiting in line. I know what has to be done. I'd like to know
> if anyone else has seen the "last hoorah."
>
> Paul

My heartfelt condolences to you & yours. I know how difficult it is to
cope when one of your beloved cats leaves us to cross that Rainbow
Bridge. It's so difficult to accept, even though you know there is no
pain or suffering that can reach them now. I can only hope that the
memories that you have of him will gradually become the good times
rather than the difficult one, in time
Purr of peace for the soul,
Sheelagh >"o"<