PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet saves her kittens from a fire. And more.


-Lost
October 18th 07, 04:25 PM
1. Amazing Animal Rescues 2 on Fox's Reality Channel today is
showing something that just choked me up so badly I had to share
(even though it is from 1997 so some of you may have heard it
already).

A mother cat continually returned to an abandoned and rapidly burning
building to save her FIVE kittens. She saved all five despite the
fact her eyes were burnt shut, the tips of her ears had been burned
off, a good majority of her body was covered in swollen red burns,
most of the hair on her face was gone including whiskers, and her
nostrils were considerably burnt closer together.

They showed the mother cat and the rescuer explained that they gave
the kittens to the mother and she literally went and verified each
one touching them and kissing them as if to verify they were all
there.

At some point one of the kittens did not make it, but mother and the
remaining kittens were adopted to loving homes.

2. The very next clip was of a woman who brought her cats to a
groomer. She left and came back (I think that is what they said) and
saw that the restaurant next door had caught on fire and people were
desperately trying to save animals from the groomer's.

The woman saw her cat Junior on the ground (I assume someone brought
him out already), apparently dead. She immediately dropped to the
ground and started CPR and massaged Junior's chest to prompt his
heart to beat.

The woman managed to revive Junior and the Chicago Fire Department
gave oxygen and Junior made a miraculous recovery.

3.
The 1st show (part one of the series) before this one showed what I
thought was an EMS, and the preview showed him performing CPR on a
newly born fawn whose mother had been hit on the side of the road.

If I recall that story correctly they performed a Cesarean, removed
the baby, and as I said performed CPR until the baby was revived.

(I had to attend to family matters so missed the actual clip. I only
saw the preview as it previously went to commercial. But I remember
this story a bit.)

******

No wonder I have been crying for an hour and a half straight. All
have fairly happy endings (despite having heard that one kitten
died), but that does not make the hurt any less.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

Grace
October 18th 07, 11:04 PM
I remember Scarlet so well. Being very partial to deep, deep Calicos,
and always holding them in a special place in my heart, I just had to
follow the story to it's very happy ending. Even now, it's so
difficult for me to look at photos of Scarlet, as she was in the weeks
following the fire. I truly didn't think that she could survive.
There is one particularly moving photo of her on the web, which shows
her nursing the kittens after they were some weeks older. In it she's
bandaged, and burned, and can't see. The tops of her precious little
ears are gone. Heartbreaking. But she became a little miracle!!
Whenever she was placed in her new home, I was thrilled to tears. I
saw her shortly after on television, in her new home with her owner,
and though she might have been a bit disfigured, she was healthy,
could see, and most importantly was a very happy little cat. Plus,
she was so very, very loved. I'm bawling now. I'll probably be
bawling all night.

Grace

mlbriggs
October 19th 07, 12:46 AM
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:04:21 -0700, Grace wrote:

> I remember Scarlet so well. Being very partial to deep, deep Calicos,
> and always holding them in a special place in my heart, I just had to
> follow the story to it's very happy ending. Even now, it's so
> difficult for me to look at photos of Scarlet, as she was in the weeks
> following the fire. I truly didn't think that she could survive.
> There is one particularly moving photo of her on the web, which shows
> her nursing the kittens after they were some weeks older. In it she's
> bandaged, and burned, and can't see. The tops of her precious little
> ears are gone. Heartbreaking. But she became a little miracle!!
> Whenever she was placed in her new home, I was thrilled to tears. I
> saw her shortly after on television, in her new home with her owner,
> and though she might have been a bit disfigured, she was healthy,
> could see, and most importantly was a very happy little cat. Plus,
> she was so very, very loved. I'm bawling now. I'll probably be
> bawling all night.
>
> Grace


I remember the story of this brave little mother and how she rescued her
kittens from a burning building. She is truly a little Kitty Saint.
MLB

CatNipped[_2_]
October 22nd 07, 05:59 PM
Scarlett is my own personal heroine - I've told her story in many posts over
the years (her rescue happened in 1996).

There's a web site devoted to Scarlett, "Scarlett, Cat of the Century".

http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/scarlett.html

This is the poem featured there...

http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/heroine.html

Why is everyone so surprised
that I saved my furry five;
that in spite of pain and danger
I brought them out alive?
True my eyes were barely open
but I heard their frantic wails;
through smoke and flames I saw
scorched ears and burning tails.
Every trip was a burdened choice
but I could make no other.
The rescuers have called me cat...
but I am also "mother."

Author - Rosemary Asmussen

And Scarlett was featured in the book, "Cat Book" by Emily Eve Weinstein.
http://www.patronsaintpr.com/samples/CB/cbobd.htm Here's a excerpt...

An alleged crack house in an abandoned garage is up in flames. Possibly
arson, probably a careless crackhead with a light. These details are moot
points; what matters to the stray cat that lives there is getting her five
kittens out alive. She makes five trips, each time returning to a structure
that is further engulfed by flames and smoke. Every hair singed off her
body, ears radically burned, eyes melting shut, she will not stop until she
has rescued all five.

Firefighter David Giannelli finds the unconscious cat lying near her
kittens. He carefully gathers the feline family and goes directly to North
Shore Animal League. Word goes around the world about this heroic cat. The
masses pray for her, send cards with best wishes, and 7,000 offers to adopt
her pour in. After a month, the white kitten succumbs to smoke inhalation.
After three months, Scarlett is healed enough to go to a new home. Out of
thousands of potential adoptees, Karen Wellen is selected -- herself the
survivor of a terrible accident. Two pairs of kittens go to the homes of two
other finalists.

Five years later, and I am visiting with the famous cat in her Brooklyn
home. Scarlett is now a solid 16 pounds, with a full, shiny calico coat. The
deep scars on her legs and feet, near hairless face, oddly upturned eyes,
and nubbed ears bear witness to her ordeal. She needs no bribing to pose for
me; she enjoys being around people. Scarlett is a symbol of loyalty,
heroism, and the best stuff life is made of.

Hugs,

CatNipped







"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> 1. Amazing Animal Rescues 2 on Fox's Reality Channel today is
> showing something that just choked me up so badly I had to share
> (even though it is from 1997 so some of you may have heard it
> already).
>
> A mother cat continually returned to an abandoned and rapidly burning
> building to save her FIVE kittens. She saved all five despite the
> fact her eyes were burnt shut, the tips of her ears had been burned
> off, a good majority of her body was covered in swollen red burns,
> most of the hair on her face was gone including whiskers, and her
> nostrils were considerably burnt closer together.
>
> They showed the mother cat and the rescuer explained that they gave
> the kittens to the mother and she literally went and verified each
> one touching them and kissing them as if to verify they were all
> there.
>
> At some point one of the kittens did not make it, but mother and the
> remaining kittens were adopted to loving homes.
>
> 2. The very next clip was of a woman who brought her cats to a
> groomer. She left and came back (I think that is what they said) and
> saw that the restaurant next door had caught on fire and people were
> desperately trying to save animals from the groomer's.
>
> The woman saw her cat Junior on the ground (I assume someone brought
> him out already), apparently dead. She immediately dropped to the
> ground and started CPR and massaged Junior's chest to prompt his
> heart to beat.
>
> The woman managed to revive Junior and the Chicago Fire Department
> gave oxygen and Junior made a miraculous recovery.
>
> 3.
> The 1st show (part one of the series) before this one showed what I
> thought was an EMS, and the preview showed him performing CPR on a
> newly born fawn whose mother had been hit on the side of the road.
>
> If I recall that story correctly they performed a Cesarean, removed
> the baby, and as I said performed CPR until the baby was revived.
>
> (I had to attend to family matters so missed the actual clip. I only
> saw the preview as it previously went to commercial. But I remember
> this story a bit.)
>
> ******
>
> No wonder I have been crying for an hour and a half straight. All
> have fairly happy endings (despite having heard that one kitten
> died), but that does not make the hurt any less.
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
> kidding. No I am not.

Bluefairy1961
November 19th 07, 11:25 PM
On Oct 22, 8:59�am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> Scarlett is my own personal heroine - I've told her story in many posts over
> the years (her rescue happened in 1996).
>
> There's a web site devoted to Scarlett, "Scarlett, Cat of the Century".
>
> http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/scarlett.html
>
> This is the poem featured there...
>
> �http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/heroine.html
>
> Why is everyone so surprised
> that I saved my furry five;
> that in spite of pain and danger
> I brought them out alive?
> True my eyes were barely open
> but I heard their frantic wails;
> through smoke and flames I saw
> scorched ears and burning tails.
> Every trip was a burdened choice
> but I could make no other.
> The rescuers have called me cat...
> but I am also "mother."
>
> Author - Rosemary Asmussen
>
> And Scarlett was featured in the book, "Cat Book" by Emily Eve Weinstein.http://www.patronsaintpr.com/samples/CB/cbobd.htm� Here's a excerpt....
>
> An alleged crack house in an abandoned garage is up in flames. Possibly
> arson, probably a careless crackhead with a light. These details are moot
> points; what matters to the stray cat that lives there is getting her fivekittensout alive. She makes five trips, each time returning to a structure
> that is further engulfed by flames and smoke. Every hair singed off her
> body, ears radically burned, eyes melting shut, she will not stop until she
> has rescued all five.
>
> Firefighter David Giannelli finds the unconscious cat lying near herkittens. He carefully gathers the feline family and goes directly to North
> Shore Animal League. Word goes around the world about this heroic cat. The
> masses pray for her, send cards with best wishes, and 7,000 offers to adopt
> her pour in. After a month, the white kitten succumbs to smoke inhalation.
> After three months, Scarlett is healed enough to go to a new home. Out of
> thousands of potential adoptees, Karen Wellen is selected -- herself the
> survivor of a terrible accident. Two pairs ofkittensgo to the homes of two
> other finalists.
>
> Five years later, and I am visiting with the famous cat in her Brooklyn
> home. Scarlett is now a solid 16 pounds, with a full, shiny calico coat. The
> deep scars on her legs and feet, near hairless face, oddly upturned eyes,
> and nubbed ears bear witness to her ordeal. She needs no bribing to pose for
> me; she enjoys being around people. Scarlett is a symbol of loyalty,
> heroism, and the best stuff life is made of.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> "-Lost" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > 1. �Amazing Animal Rescues 2 on Fox's Reality Channel today is
> > showing something that just choked me up so badly I had to share
> > (even though it is from 1997 so some of you may have heard it
> > already).
>
> > A mother cat continually returned to an abandoned and rapidly burning
> > building to save her FIVEkittens. �She saved all five despite the
> > fact her eyes were burnt shut, the tips of her ears had been burned
> > off, a good majority of her body was covered in swollen red burns,
> > most of the hair on her face was gone including whiskers, and her
> > nostrils were considerably burnt closer together.
>
> > They showed the mother cat and the rescuer explained that they gave
> > thekittensto the mother and she literally went and verified each
> > one touching them and kissing them as if to verify they were all
> > there.
>
> > At some point one of thekittensdid not make it, but mother and the
> > remainingkittenswere adopted to loving homes.
>
> > 2. �The very next clip was of a woman who brought her cats to a
> > groomer. �She left and came back (I think that is what they said) and
> > saw that the restaurant next door had caught on fire and people were
> > desperately trying to save animals from the groomer's.
>
> > The woman saw her cat Junior on the ground (I assume someone brought
> > him out already), apparently dead. �She immediately dropped to the
> > ground and started CPR and massaged Junior's chest to prompt his
> > heart to beat.
>
> > The woman managed to revive Junior and the Chicago Fire Department
> > gave oxygen and Junior made a miraculous recovery.
>
> > 3.
> > The 1st show (part one of the series) before this one showed what I
> > thought was an EMS, and the preview showed him performing CPR on a
> > newly born fawn whose mother had been hit on the side of the road.
>
> > If I recall that story correctly they performed a Cesarean, removed
> > the baby, and as I said performed CPR until the baby was revived.
>
> > (I had to attend to family matters so missed the actual clip. �I only
> > saw the preview as it previously went to commercial. �But I remember
> > this story a bit.)
>
> > ******
>
> > No wonder I have been crying for an hour and a half straight. �All
> > have fairly happy endings (despite having heard that one kitten
> > died), but that does not make the hurt any less.
>
> > --
> > -Lost
> > Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. �Don't e-mail me. �I am
> > kidding. �No I am not.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I remember that story so well. I saw her on the news. It's so good to
hear that she is well! What a hero!