PDA

View Full Version : Just how many calories do cats need?


RPSinha
October 18th 07, 04:54 PM
I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
contains a posting by Phil P which states:

"An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
kcals)/day."

There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
3oz can --- per day!

My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.

So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
day seems so little!

What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
everyday, so some answer must exist.

Rene S.
October 18th 07, 06:50 PM
> > "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
> > has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
> > kcals)/day."

I use 15 calories/lb for a daily requirements. Both of my cats are
middle age; one is very active and the other more laid back.

Sometimes the daily requirement can vary from cat to cat. For
instance, the laid back cat can maintain his weight at 14 lb 10 oz by
eating one 5.5 oz can of Wellness grain free per day. The average
calorie count for Wellness grain free is around 32 cal/ounce, so one
can would be about 176. Using the 15 calories/lb, his needs *should*
be around 221/day.

Interestingly, since I've switched to Nature's Variety raw, I can give
him *more* calories while still maintaining his weight. He gets 4 oz
of NV raw per day, around 260 calories. The raw diet is metabolized
better, and as a result he is more active and can eat more calories.

studio
October 18th 07, 07:46 PM
On Oct 18, 11:54 am, RPSinha > wrote:
> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
> kcals)/day."
>
> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
> 3oz can --- per day!
>
> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>
> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
> day seems so little!
>
> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
> everyday, so some answer must exist.

The answer is; every cat is different and has different requirements,
and people have different means of provision.

In my case, Big Mama gets 1 can Fancy Feast per day, 6 days per
week...
she fasts on the 7th day from wet food only.
She weighs about 10 lbs., is 14 years old now, is an indoor/outdoor
cat,
and has always had the same diet.
And even then, she rarely eats the whole can unless she's really
hungry.

She is rarely finicky, and never gets the same flavor of FF
2 days in row...she's tried them all, and likes them all.
She always has some crunchies...
Purina Cat Chow, Iams, FF Gourmet Gold, Friskies...and cat-grass
to munch on.

She actually has 2 double bowls; 1 inside and 1 outside, a medium
container
of cat-grass, and 2 outside water sources.

AMUN
October 18th 07, 09:02 PM
"studio" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 18, 11:54 am, RPSinha > wrote:
>> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
>> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
>> kcals)/day."
>>
>> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
>> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
>> 3oz can --- per day!
>>
>> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
>> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>>
>> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
>> day seems so little!
>>
>> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
>> everyday, so some answer must exist.
>
> The answer is; every cat is different and has different requirements,
> and people have different means of provision.
>
> In my case, Big Mama gets 1 can Fancy Feast per day, 6 days per
> week...
> she fasts on the 7th day from wet food only.
> She weighs about 10 lbs., is 14 years old now, is an indoor/outdoor
> cat,
> and has always had the same diet.
> And even then, she rarely eats the whole can unless she's really
> hungry.
>
> She is rarely finicky, and never gets the same flavor of FF
> 2 days in row...she's tried them all, and likes them all.
> She always has some crunchies...
> Purina Cat Chow, Iams, FF Gourmet Gold, Friskies...and cat-grass
> to munch on.
>
> She actually has 2 double bowls; 1 inside and 1 outside, a medium
> container
> of cat-grass, and 2 outside water sources.
>

I always get a bit of a kick out of these types of posts.
Our cats have always survived with just had a bowl of kibble inside, that is
always topped up, and they go out each night a supplement it themselves with
the "catch of the night".
(yes they are fixed and get all the shots)

Been at pet stores where the sales people are extolling the virtues of their
$30.+ a bag specialized cat food.
But they never have an answer when I tell them my cats drag home and eat
RATS, and dig through garbage pails, why should I worry about what I give
them ?
And they still never have, mouse flavored cat food in stock when I ask.

They seem to like what they catch, as every morning there is a dozen or so
of half eaten new carcases on the back porch for us to share as well <LOL>
(Makes the wife gag, until I shovel them up)

They are never fat, never have had hairball problems, so seem to be able to
judge their own needs without any intervention.
During the summer, they pretty much take care of all their own dietary
needs, and barely touch what we give them. (no matter which brand we offer)

William Graham
October 18th 07, 09:03 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
...
>I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
> contains a posting by Phil P which states:
>
> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
> kcals)/day."
>
> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
> 3oz can --- per day!
>
> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>
> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
> day seems so little!
>
> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
> everyday, so some answer must exist.

Aside from the canned and fresh food, my cats all have access to an infinite
supply of kibbles....As a result, they are all overweight. (around 10 lbs.
per cat.) I know I should control this, but I am far too lazy. It is too
convenient to be able to leave for a day or two and know that the cats will
get plenty to eat and be fine when we get back. Also, if we run out of
canned food or fresh chicken bodies, they will be able to eat kibbles until
we get around to replenishing their supply of wet food. They are all outside
cats, and we live in a neighborhood of geezers who will feed anything that
darkens their doorsteps, so there really is little I can do to prevent any
of my cats from overeating.....Once they reach the age of 4 or 5, they
seldom do anything but sleep and eat anyway......

MaryL
October 18th 07, 10:26 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
...
>I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
> contains a posting by Phil P which states:
>
> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
> kcals)/day."
>
> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
> 3oz can --- per day!
>
> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>
> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
> day seems so little!
>
> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
> everyday, so some answer must exist.


A great deal depends on the quality of the food in addition to the number of
calories being fed. In my opinion, the "recommended" amounts are too large
and are unhealthy -- and will probably result in overweight cats. I use
Wellness canned food and I stick to a 12-hour feeding schedule, or as close
to that as possible. Each cat gets 1/3 can twice per day (5.5 oz. cans). I
open one can for one meal and use 2/3 of it, divided between the two cats;
then repeat the process for the next meal. This will leave 1/3 can from two
separate cans for one meal the following day. I microwave the portions that
have been refrigerated for a short time to gently warm it. Incidentally,
Wellness doesn't cost as much extra as I expected because my furbabies don't
eat as much as when I used dry food (and free feeding). Like you, I was
originally concerned because it seems like such a small about of food.
Nevertheless, they always seem satisfied. Duffy weighs a little more than 8
pounds, and Holly weighs 9 pounds. Their weight has remained remarkably
stable for the 4+ years since I changed to an all-canned diet. I don't know
how much your cat weighs, but you would obviously need to adjust the
quantity commensurate with his weight.

To reiterate: This means that I feed fewer calories than the 30 calories per
pound recommendations that I have read on some sites. It is also less than
the 1 can per day that Wellness says is typical for an 8 to 10 pound adult
cat. Other friends have noticed the same thing with their cats. This may be
because indoor cats do not need as many calories as outdoor cats (although
both of my cats are active and energetic) - but, for whatever reason, I
think the "recommended" caloric intake is likely to lead to fat cats. For
example, one 5.5 oz. can of Wellness chicken formula has 181 calories. This
means that my cats are getting between 13 and 14 calories per pound per day,
and their weight has remained constant on this diet. Other types of Wellness
will vary slightly, but this gives a reasonable approximation.

I do think it is important to monitor your cat's weight and to be especially
vigilant when changing to a new type or amount of food. Just like people,
there will be different rates of metabolism and adjustments may need to be
made based on your cat's weight, health, and the type of food given.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e

MaryL
October 18th 07, 10:34 PM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
> ...
>>I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
>> contains a posting by Phil P which states:
>>
>> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
>> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
>> kcals)/day."
>>
>> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
>> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
>> 3oz can --- per day!
>>
>> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
>> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>>
>> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
>> day seems so little!
>>
>> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
>> everyday, so some answer must exist.
>
> Aside from the canned and fresh food, my cats all have access to an
> infinite supply of kibbles....As a result, they are all overweight.
> (around 10 lbs. per cat.) I know I should control this, but I am far too
> lazy. It is too convenient to be able to leave for a day or two and know
> that the cats will get plenty to eat and be fine when we get back. Also,
> if we run out of canned food or fresh chicken bodies, they will be able to
> eat kibbles until we get around to replenishing their supply of wet food.
> They are all outside cats, and we live in a neighborhood of geezers who
> will feed anything that darkens their doorsteps, so there really is little
> I can do to prevent any of my cats from overeating.....Once they reach the
> age of 4 or 5, they seldom do anything but sleep and eat anyway......
>

I would be concerned if my cats were that inactive at the age of 4 or 5.
That is still a relatively young age. Holly is now 12-1/2, and Duffy is
approximately 8 or 9. Both are active, still run and jump vigorously, play
with various toys, and Duffy *loves* to scramble up and down his cat trees
and climbing toys. Yes, they do a lot of sleeping (which is normal for
cats), but there also should be alertness and energy in a cat aged 4 or 5.

I used to let Holly free feed on dry food. I thought it was successful
because her health always seemed good.
Then, over the course of a year or so (starting when she was about 8 years
old), I noticed that she looked a little heavier. Sure enough, she had
gained a pound. Then I changed to Wellness and Felidae canned. Holly's
weight dropped back to her optimal level. I was amazed, because I didn't
change food for weight-reduction reasons, and she never seemed hungry
through this process. That was the same time as when I adopted Duffy, and I
give him the same diet. She and Duffy are both thriving on the diet, have
luxurious coats, and display lots of energy. In both cases, their weight
has now remained completely stable at what I (and the vet) consider their
optimal weights. Incidentally, I suddenly noticed that Holly no longer had
any noticeable dandruff -- and it would show up *very* well on her beautiful
black fur coat.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e

William Graham
October 19th 07, 12:11 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
...
>
> "William Graham" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>>I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
>>> contains a posting by Phil P which states:
>>>
>>> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
>>> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
>>> kcals)/day."
>>>
>>> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
>>> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
>>> 3oz can --- per day!
>>>
>>> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
>>> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>>>
>>> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
>>> day seems so little!
>>>
>>> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
>>> everyday, so some answer must exist.
>>
>> Aside from the canned and fresh food, my cats all have access to an
>> infinite supply of kibbles....As a result, they are all overweight.
>> (around 10 lbs. per cat.) I know I should control this, but I am far too
>> lazy. It is too convenient to be able to leave for a day or two and know
>> that the cats will get plenty to eat and be fine when we get back. Also,
>> if we run out of canned food or fresh chicken bodies, they will be able
>> to eat kibbles until we get around to replenishing their supply of wet
>> food. They are all outside cats, and we live in a neighborhood of geezers
>> who will feed anything that darkens their doorsteps, so there really is
>> little I can do to prevent any of my cats from overeating.....Once they
>> reach the age of 4 or 5, they seldom do anything but sleep and eat
>> anyway......
>>
>
> I would be concerned if my cats were that inactive at the age of 4 or 5.
> That is still a relatively young age. Holly is now 12-1/2, and Duffy is
> approximately 8 or 9. Both are active, still run and jump vigorously,
> play with various toys, and Duffy *loves* to scramble up and down his cat
> trees and climbing toys. Yes, they do a lot of sleeping (which is normal
> for cats), but there also should be alertness and energy in a cat aged 4
> or 5.
>
> I used to let Holly free feed on dry food. I thought it was successful
> because her health always seemed good.
> Then, over the course of a year or so (starting when she was about 8 years
> old), I noticed that she looked a little heavier. Sure enough, she had
> gained a pound. Then I changed to Wellness and Felidae canned. Holly's
> weight dropped back to her optimal level. I was amazed, because I didn't
> change food for weight-reduction reasons, and she never seemed hungry
> through this process. That was the same time as when I adopted Duffy, and
> I give him the same diet. She and Duffy are both thriving on the diet,
> have luxurious coats, and display lots of energy. In both cases, their
> weight has now remained completely stable at what I (and the vet) consider
> their optimal weights. Incidentally, I suddenly noticed that Holly no
> longer had any noticeable dandruff -- and it would show up *very* well on
> her beautiful black fur coat.
>
> MaryL

Mine are all outside cats....One, (the feral cat) has some kind of skin
condition which is very much like psoriases, and he eats like twice as much
as the other cats do. He is about 6 or 7 years old. We bought some goop at
Petsmart that helps his skin condition, and we apply it whenever we can, but
I'm afraid that I will have to bring him to the vet pretty soon.
One of the other cats is only 4 years old, and he is still fairly active.
(He likes to sleep on our roof in the Summertime.) But the two females just
eat and sleep....They seem to have stabilized at around 10 lbs each....One
is bulimic....She eats too much and throws it up a lot.....

LauraM[_2_]
October 19th 07, 04:03 PM
On Oct 18, 8:54 am, RPSinha > wrote:
> I find this very curious. An old thread I ran into (thanks, google!)
> contains a posting by Phil P which states:
>
> "An average, healthy, adult, neutered, moderately active, indoor cat
> has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 20 calories/lb (45
> kcals)/day."
>
> There was general agreement that this is fine. So 100 cals/day for a 5
> lb cat. Later, it comes out in the same thread that this is about one
> 3oz can --- per day!
>
> My cat can eat easily two small cans per day, which is about what I
> have been feeding her. She is 1 and quite active.
>
> So, now I am worried. I don't want to overfeed her. BUT 1 small can per
> day seems so little!
>
> What is your experience? All of you have cats, and you feed them
> everyday, so some answer must exist.

I have one large cat. Some of the "large" is due to me overfeeding,
but he's a big cat anyway (Main Coone). I used to use an auto feeder
which worked great. No matter what, I wouldn't give him more food
than the dispenser doled out.

When we moved houses, though, I lost the large wire that powers the
feeder. Now, I'm overfeeding my beast and I'm having the darndest
time controlling it.

What I'm doing now is using a 1/3 measuring cup and filling it 1/3 in
the morning. Then around 10 I give him 1/3 more. Lunch he gets 1/3
more, so that at this point he's received a full 1/3 cup. I do the
same for the afternoon so the total he receives in a day is around 2/3
cup.

I find if I give him just a little at a time he doesn't cough it up.
He seems to gorge himself if I put a lot of food out at once.

He's a baby, what can I say? But a cute baby. :)