PDA

View Full Version : Digital bath scale for people as well as cats?

RPSinha
October 19th 07, 06:55 AM
Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
get by with one.

For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
etc.

For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
Vet's office.

Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
weight was in case she is covering up the display.

Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Ozgirl
October 19th 07, 07:33 AM
Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

"RPSinha" > wrote in message
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

RPSinha
October 19th 07, 08:16 AM
Ozgirl > wrote:

: Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
: on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
: surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

Or I could put a few treats on the scale and she would climb up. :)

My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.

The method you suggest would require two readings, which would
effectively double the uncertainty.

For example if the reading is 5LB and scale uncertainty is 0.1 LB, then
she weighs between 4.9 and 5.1 LB. However, two readings of 175 and 170
LB really mean 174.9-175.1 LB and 169.9-170.1 LB, so her weight is in
range 4.8-5.2 LB.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but a direct reading is better.

Ozgirl
October 19th 07, 08:39 AM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>
> : Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and
> step
> : on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
> : surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!
>
> Or I could put a few treats on the scale and she would climb up. :)
>
> My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
> error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
> meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.
>
> The method you suggest would require two readings, which would
> effectively double the uncertainty.
>
> For example if the reading is 5LB and scale uncertainty is 0.1 LB, then
> she weighs between 4.9 and 5.1 LB. However, two readings of 175 and 170
> LB really mean 174.9-175.1 LB and 169.9-170.1 LB, so her weight is in
> range 4.8-5.2 LB.
>
> Not the biggest deal in the world, but a direct reading is better.

Put a cat basket on the scales and turn the dial back to zero. Then place
the cat in the basket. Use digital for more accuracy. Weight the cat first
thing in the morning before first meal. Preferably after it has peed...
Presumably it is a diabetic cat and you want accuracy for medication
purposes?

RPSinha
October 19th 07, 09:19 AM
Ozgirl > wrote:

: Presumably it is a diabetic cat and you want accuracy for medication
: purposes?

Oh no, she is only 1 year old and just fine. I however do have
beginning of that disease---hence my guess that members of that forum
might know about weighing scales. :)

The reason for wanting an accurate scale has nothing to do with that.
Since I have to buy a scale anyway, might as well get a reasonably
accurate one.

MaryL
October 19th 07, 12:08 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Tanita makes a very good line of scales, and I have two (one for myself and
a pediatric one for my cats). I use model #351 for myself. It has 5 memory
buttons, so it could be used for 5 people - or you could use reserve one for
yourself and separate buttons for up to four cats. It is a digital model and
has been very accurate. If I get on and off to recheck, I always get an
identical weight, even if I do not stand on exactly the same position on the
scale. It weighs in increments of 0.2 lb. I use a Tanita model #1583 baby
scale for my cats. It has a tare function to eliminate the weight of a towel
or carrier before weighing the cat. It weighs in 0.5 lb. increments. I
prefer to use the baby scales for my cats, but I have achieved nearly
identical weights on the #351 model by using the method described by Ozgirl.

Tanita scales are expensive, but they have been *very* accurate, in my
experience. I have had each of these models for several years, so they have
had a great deal of use. I have also compared weight taken at home with
weight taken in the vet's office, and I obtain almost the same results.

Here is a link to model #351: http://www.tanita.com/DigitalScales.shtml

And here is a link to model #1583:
http://www.tanita.com/PediatricScales.shtml

(You may need to scroll down the page to the correct model.)

MaryL

William Graham
October 19th 07, 04:07 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Google, "Baby scales".....

Rene S.
October 19th 07, 06:27 PM
> My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
> error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
> meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.

IMHO, for people, I've stuck with a plain ol' analog scale. I bought a
$30 digital scale at Target and it only lasted a year. I went back to
the old-fashioned kind for me and am happier. I don't need extreme
accuracy for myself anyway.

How about buying a digital postal scale for the cats? I have used one
for nearly four years and have found it to be quite accurate (it has
to be, for mailing packages). I ordered mine here:
http://www.toplinedigitalscales.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=166

To weigh a cat, place a small box on the scale and tare out the
weight. Then put the cat in the box and record the weight. This scale
does not have a memory function. I keep records of my cats' weight on
an Excell file, so I can add comments as needed.

You also have the benefit of a scale in case you do need to weigh a
parcel. . .

Manfred Mann
October 19th 07, 09:26 PM
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:33:58 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
>on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
>surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

You forgot a few steps. Like pick up the cat again whe it gets
away, wiegh yourself again after the cat gets away before the scale
finishes.

Manfred Mann
October 19th 07, 09:28 PM
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:16:39 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:
>Or I could put a few treats on the scale and she would climb up. :)
Nice try. Won't work. My cats take the treat, run off before the
scale can do it's thing.

>My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
>error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
>meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.
Have the vet do it when you bring the cat in for a check up.

W. Baker
October 19th 07, 10:23 PM
In misc.health.diabetes Ozgirl > wrote:
: Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
: on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
: surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

We used to do tht with a 60 pound huskey! At least my husband did it.
Worked fine too.

Later we had a vet with a stand on scale for the dog that we coul dcome in
and use whenever we needed to It washelpful to see if a wormin med was
working ao she was putting on the lost weight.

Wendy

Ozgirl
October 19th 07, 10:25 PM
"Manfred Mann" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:33:58 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and
>>step
>>on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
>>surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!
>

> You forgot a few steps. Like pick up the cat again whe it gets
> away, wiegh yourself again after the cat gets away before the scale
> finishes.

....dab antiseptic on the resultant claw holes...

William Graham
October 20th 07, 02:33 AM
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> In misc.health.diabetes Ozgirl > wrote:
> : Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and
> step
> : on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
> : surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!
>
> We used to do tht with a 60 pound huskey! At least my husband did it.
> Worked fine too.
>
> Later we had a vet with a stand on scale for the dog that we coul dcome in
> and use whenever we needed to It washelpful to see if a wormin med was
> working ao she was putting on the lost weight.
>
> Wendy

If you get a small scale, like a baby scale, and always feed your cat in the
scale's pan, pretty soon the cat will get used to eating there, and then you
will be able to weigh her/him every day with no problems......Just subtract
the weight of the bowl & food from the reading......

October 20th 07, 04:11 AM
In article >,
says...
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

A pad and pencil are the most effective. As far as weighing the cat just
weigh yourself first then hold the cat and weigh again. Subtract your
weight from that and you have the weight of the cat.

October 20th 07, 04:11 AM
In article >,
says...
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Or if you're engineering minded like me, you design your own scale that
has a direct tie in to your computer and records the data in a MySQL
database.

Hmm, I smell another project coming.

William Graham
October 20th 07, 05:41 AM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
>> get by with one.
>>
>> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
>> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
>> etc.
>>
>> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
>> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
>> Vet's office.
>>
>> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
>> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>>
>> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Here is a linkj to a 50 pounder.....
http://www.northshorecare.com/healthometer-mechanical-pediatric-scale.html

James
October 20th 07, 05:27 PM
On Oct 19, 1:55 am, RPSinha > wrote:
> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
> get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
> etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
> should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
> Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Every now and then I go to the post office and use the scale at the
self service area.

Hactar
October 20th 07, 08:07 PM
In article >,
William Graham > wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > In misc.health.diabetes Ozgirl > wrote:
> > : Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and
> > step
> > : on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
> > : surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!
> >
> > We used to do tht with a 60 pound huskey! At least my husband did it.
> > Worked fine too.
> >
> > Later we had a vet with a stand on scale for the dog that we coul dcome in
> > and use whenever we needed to It washelpful to see if a wormin med was
> > working ao she was putting on the lost weight.
>
> If you get a small scale, like a baby scale, and always feed your cat in the
> scale's pan, pretty soon the cat will get used to eating there, and then you
> will be able to weigh her/him every day with no problems......Just subtract
> the weight of the bowl & food from the reading......

Don't need to subtract the weight of the food. If it's not in the
dish, it's in the cat (unless it's spilled onto the scale). Any way it
goes, the cat'll eat it eventually. And if the food makes a significant
difference in the cat's weight, maybe the cat's being overfed.

But I think a scale that's accurate to 1% across more than two orders
of magnitude) is a tall order.

--
-eben http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

William Graham
October 21st 07, 12:50 AM
"Hactar" > wrote in message

But I think a scale that's accurate to 1% across more than two orders
> of magnitude) is a tall order.

1% scales are for things like drugs and diamonds.....Nobody needs that kind
of accuracy for cats......Just drinking or eating before weighing will cause
more than a 1% change......

Hactar
October 21st 07, 03:07 AM
In article >,
William Graham > wrote:

> "Hactar" > wrote in message
> >
> But I think a scale that's accurate to 1% across more than two orders
> > of magnitude) is a tall order.
>
> 1% scales are for things like drugs and diamonds.....Nobody needs that kind
> of accuracy for cats......Just drinking or eating before weighing will cause
> more than a 1% change......

0.1 lb out of a 10lb cat is 1%. 1% of 170lb is about 2lb. IIRC those
specs were in the OP. 1% _precision_ is not hard at all, even commonplace;
witness all the bathroom scales that tell your weight to 0.2 lb; out
of a 150lb person, that represents 0.13% precision. But are they
_accurate_ to anywhere near that level (i.e., when they say X lb, what
is the true weight)? I think not. I bet your drugs and diamonds scales
are _accurate_ to 1%; IOW when they say the weight is X, it's really
between 0.995X and 1.005X.

The poster wants a single unit that can weigh a 5-10lb cat to within 0.1
lb, as well as a 170lb human to within a few pounds. I contend that if
such a beast exists, it'd be quite expensive. IME he'd be better off
with two scales, each optimized for one task.

--
-eben royalty.mine.nu:81
When we've nuked the world to a cinder, the cockroaches picking

William Graham
October 21st 07, 05:05 AM
"Hactar" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> William Graham > wrote:
>>
>> "Hactar" > wrote in message
>> >
>> But I think a scale that's accurate to 1% across more than two orders
>> > of magnitude) is a tall order.
>>
>> 1% scales are for things like drugs and diamonds.....Nobody needs that
>> kind
>> of accuracy for cats......Just drinking or eating before weighing will
>> cause
>> more than a 1% change......
>
> 0.1 lb out of a 10lb cat is 1%. 1% of 170lb is about 2lb. IIRC those
> specs were in the OP. 1% _precision_ is not hard at all, even
> commonplace;
> witness all the bathroom scales that tell your weight to 0.2 lb; out
> of a 150lb person, that represents 0.13% precision. But are they
> _accurate_ to anywhere near that level (i.e., when they say X lb, what
> is the true weight)? I think not. I bet your drugs and diamonds scales
> are _accurate_ to 1%; IOW when they say the weight is X, it's really
> between 0.995X and 1.005X.
>
> The poster wants a single unit that can weigh a 5-10lb cat to within 0.1
> lb, as well as a 170lb human to within a few pounds. I contend that if
> such a beast exists, it'd be quite expensive. IME he'd be better off
> with two scales, each optimized for one task.

Yes....There's a difference between absolute accuracy and relative
accuracy.....When I weigh myself on our cheapie bathroom scale, I really
don't care if it's absolutely accurate. All I care about is that it doesn't
change calibration from one weighing to another, so I can tell if I've lost
a couple of pounds from week to week.

MÄck©®
October 25th 07, 12:52 AM
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:55:30 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

>Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
>get by with one.
>
>For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
>accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
>etc.
>
>For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
>should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
>Vet's office.
>
>Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
>weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
>Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

step 1. weigh yourself.
step 2. pick up cat and weigh yourself and the cat together.
step 3 subtract your weight from the combined weight.
now you have the weight of the cat.

John Doe
October 25th 07, 04:31 AM
RPSinha > wrote:

> Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we
> could get by with one.
>
> For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
> accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable
> display etc.
>
> For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs.
> That should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's
> always Vet's office.
>
> Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
> weight was in case she is covering up the display.
>
> Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Sorry, not for the combination human/cat, but I use a 20 pound
digital fish scale for cats. The weight range is just right for cats
and mine is accurate to 0.1 lbs. If they trust you and/or are well
behaved, you can back them into a plastic grocery bag (I have found
that cats cooperate better when they go tail first,
up/down/sideways). Of course, they could escape from an ultralight
plastic grocery bag with a flick of their claws, but my cats tend to
stay put for weighing without any problem.

Good luck and have fun.

Meghan Noecker
November 1st 07, 11:04 AM
I found a baby scale on craigslist for $20. It is very accurate and
easy to use. I have weighed my cat before a vet visit and then at the
vet's office, and the difference was only 1 oz. So, fairly close. And
of course, for weighing at home, the only really important part is the
difference over any given period of time. If my scale is 1 oz higher
than the vet scale, it will still be 1 oz higher when I weigh him
again in few days, a week, or a month. So, it is still accurate for
any weight gains or losses.

In my case, I was checking an elderly cat who wasn't eating well. So,
it helped me to see if he was keeping steady, gaining any, or losing
again.

If you are trying to detect small changes, a human scale is useless.
And doing the weigh yourself routine with the cat is worse than
useless. You could end up with a weight that is a pound too high or a
pound too low. A huge range that won't help when weighing a cat.