PDA

View Full Version : Compounding pharmacies

October 19th 07, 08:11 PM
I had to get some melphalan compounded into 0.75 mg capsules, and the
local compounding pharmacy charged me $140 for 14 capsules. That's
$10 each. Yikes. Online, I found some pharmacies that were less
expensive. One in particular, Diamondback Drugs in Scottsdale, AZ,
quoted me only $1 each. I asked how they could be so much less
expensive, and they said it's because they do a lot of veterinary
business and buy the melphalan in large quantities, while the local
pharmacy was probably buying the tablets to crush and compound one at
a time.

Anyway, does anyone know anything positive or negative about
Diamondback Drugs? Also, can anyone recommend any other compounding
pharmacies that are reputable, reliable, and reasonably priced?

Background: One of my cats was recently diagnosed with multiple
myeloma (cancer in the liver, spleen, and probably bone marrow). I
don't want to put him through anything too invasive or rough, but the
veterinary oncologist I saw thought a combination of two oral drugs
might work -- prednisolone and melphalan. We did a blood test after
two weeks, and the results were very encouraging! Some of the values
were back in the normal range and others were heading in that direction.

Thanks.

October 22nd 07, 08:17 PM
On Oct 19, 12:11 pm, wrote:
> I had to get some melphalan compounded into 0.75 mg capsules, and the
> local compounding pharmacy charged me $140 for 14 capsules. That's
> $10 each. Yikes. Online, I found some pharmacies that were less
> expensive. One in particular, Diamondback Drugs in Scottsdale, AZ,
> quoted me only $1 each. I asked how they could be so much less
> expensive, and they said it's because they do a lot of veterinary
> business and buy the melphalan in large quantities, while the local
> pharmacy was probably buying the tablets to crush and compound one at
> a time.
>
> Anyway, does anyone know anything positive or negative about
> Diamondback Drugs? Also, can anyone recommend any other compounding
> pharmacies that are reputable, reliable, and reasonably priced?
>
> Background: One of my cats was recently diagnosed with multiple
> myeloma (cancer in the liver, spleen, and probably bone marrow). I
> don't want to put him through anything too invasive or rough, but the
> veterinary oncologist I saw thought a combination of two oral drugs
> might work -- prednisolone and melphalan. We did a blood test after
> two weeks, and the results were very encouraging! Some of the values
> were back in the normal range and others were heading in that direction.
>
> Thanks.

Hello, I am also looking for lower cost compounded med for my dog:
drug name, trilostane. Currrently I am paying 117.00 plus shipping for
one month's supply. Diamondback says they can fill and ship for fifty
dollars less. I too would like some references, recommendations from
exiting customers before going with them. Compounded meds are not
brands and thus who really knows if the meds are as they are supposed
to be!