PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Cat just home from having dental procedure


Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 02:33 AM
Just brought my cat home after dental cleaning and having an absessed tooth
pulled. The vet said her breathing would sound congested from her having a
tube down her throat. Indeed her breathing sounds like she has a very loud
congested purr (but there is no purr). The doctor didn't say how long this
would go on... anyone know?

She looks so tired, but she will not sleep. She was sent home with a
morphine type liquid med in syringes for pain, and I gave that to her 1-1/2
hours ago. I hoped that would make her comfortable and let her sleep, but
she just sits up, occasionally paces, and looks worn out. Shouldn't she be
tired and be out by now?

I've never had a cat go through this before, so if anyone can answer my
questions, I would appreciate it.

Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 03:22 AM
but what about the congested breathing? the vet said something about it
being from the trach tube, etc. but I didn't think to ask how long it would
last... she seems really uncomfortable about it. If still bad in the AM,
I'll call their office.

SantaSteeler
October 20th 07, 04:16 AM
many vets do not use the trach tube anymore. they actually hang the cat by
the back legs there in the tube for breathing is not a necessity.




"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
...
> but what about the congested breathing? the vet said something about it
> being from the trach tube, etc. but I didn't think to ask how long it
> would last... she seems really uncomfortable about it. If still bad in
> the AM, I'll call their office.
>
>

Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 04:19 AM
I'm not sure whether to call you a creepor a jerk.


"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> many vets do not use the trach tube anymore. they actually hang the cat
> by the back legs there in the tube for breathing is not a necessity.

cybercat
October 20th 07, 04:59 AM
"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> many vets do not use the trach tube anymore. they actually hang the cat
> by the back legs there in the tube for breathing is not a necessity.
>
>
>
>
> "Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> ...
>> but what about the congested breathing? the vet said something about it
>> being from the trach tube, etc. but I didn't think to ask how long it
>> would last... she seems really uncomfortable about it. If still bad in
>> the AM, I'll call their office.

That seals it, I am never having my cats in for dentals.

Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 05:46 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
> That seals it, I am never having my cats in for dentals.

Well then, you are as dumb as I was. My cat is 9 years old and never in
for dental work. She ended up with horrible tartar, an absessed tooth, and
the beginnings of kidney problems because I was scared to bring her in.
So, bite the bullet like I did and bring your cat in sooner than I did. It
will be easier on your cat, and you, if you don't wait as long as I did.

SantaSteeler
October 20th 07, 02:59 PM
Thanks a lot. I come on here with true info and get insulted.





"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
...
> I'm not sure whether to call you a creepor a jerk.
>
>
> "SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> many vets do not use the trach tube anymore. they actually hang the cat
>> by the back legs there in the tube for breathing is not a necessity.
>
>

SantaSteeler
October 20th 07, 03:24 PM
by the way that is how they did my mom's yorkie. of course it does only
work for small animals. it is a true procedure.




"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks a lot. I come on here with true info and get insulted.
>
>
>
>
>
> "Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I'm not sure whether to call you a creepor a jerk.
>>
>>
>> "SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> many vets do not use the trach tube anymore. they actually hang the cat
>>> by the back legs there in the tube for breathing is not a necessity.
>>
>>
>

-Lost
October 20th 07, 05:00 PM
I have no clue about your problem, but I am hoping I can ask you
something without being insulted...

How did you know your cat had a dental problem? Something you noticed?
Abnormal behavior?

Thanks.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
October 20th 07, 05:19 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
>I have no clue about your problem, but I am hoping I can ask you
> something without being insulted...
>
> How did you know your cat had a dental problem? Something you noticed?
> Abnormal behavior?
>

Who are you talking to?

If you include a snippet of the post to which you are replying, we might
know.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
> kidding. No I am not.

Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 10:29 PM
Then I do apologize. It sounded like it was too far out there to be a true
procedure. Doesn't sound like something I'd want done to my pet.


"SantaSteeler" > wrote in message
.. .
> by the way that is how they did my mom's yorkie. of course it does only
> work for small animals. it is a true procedure.

Tara Legale
October 20th 07, 10:30 PM
I could see plaque on her back teeth. I had no idea she had an absessed
tooth until they took an x-ray. She showed no signs of pain or trouble
eating. I can't believe her teeth now.... I wish mine were so white and
perfect! :-)


"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> How did you know your cat had a dental problem? Something you noticed?
> Abnormal behavior?