PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a second cat ?

desgnr
October 20th 07, 03:33 PM
My wife seems to think we should get a friend for our cat CC who is a spayed
female 1 1/2 years old.
If so should we get a kitten ?
Will we need a separate litter box & feeding bowls ?
CC is a very good cat who does not scratch the furniture or anything else.
Will getting her a friend change her Habits or Personality ?

-Lost
October 20th 07, 04:54 PM
Response from "desgnr" >:

> My wife seems to think we should get a friend for our cat CC who
> is a spayed female 1 1/2 years old.
> If so should we get a kitten ?
> Will we need a separate litter box & feeding bowls ?
> CC is a very good cat who does not scratch the furniture or
> anything else. Will getting her a friend change her Habits or
> Personality ?

The very last question is fairly silly. If you and your wife moved a
complete stranger in without meeting them or anything, would it
change you and your wife's personality?

On a more serious note though I have no clue what the best idea is.
Do you and your wife give the kitty more than enough attention? If
so, maybe you do not need another kitty. Then again, a friend never
hurts.

*shrugs*

Some people use one litter box for several cats, but obviously that
requires more cleaning.

Some people would recommend getting a cat about the same age. Also,
going strictly with a kitten is not advisable (in my opinion) unless
you have dealt with kittens before. Had I known then what I know now
about kittens, we would have never had Gabby.

Gabby eats out of his bowl but REFUSES to drink from the water bowl
that sits right beside his food bowl. What does he do? He drinks
from the dogs' water bowl. No clue why, but that is the ONLY thing
he'll drink from.

Again... *shrugs*

On a bright note though... once she is used to a new kitten or cat or
whatever, she will most likely go back to her old self. ONLY if she
can get comfortable around it. If she cannot, then she will not be
the exact same. That is true of any living creature...

Good luck.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

James
October 20th 07, 05:23 PM
On Oct 20, 11:54 am, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response from "desgnr" >:
>
> > My wife seems to think we should get a friend for our cat CC who
> > is a spayed female 1 1/2 years old.
> > If so should we get a kitten ?
> > Will we need a separate litter box & feeding bowls ?
> > CC is a very good cat who does not scratch the furniture or
> > anything else. Will getting her a friend change her Habits or
> > Personality ?

Mine is also the same age spayed female. She does fine alone. I
tried a couple times to get her a friend but she never stop hissing or
running from them. She is happy with only human friends.

supercat
October 22nd 07, 09:05 PM
HI,
Does your cat go out? Have you seen her interact with other cats?
How is she with you both? Is she a steady, pretty lazy cat or is she
on fire 75% of the time?
All these things will denote how she will react to another cat.
IMHO kittens are the easiest to slip into "your" lives without TOO
much trouble.
With nasty cats like my Long haired female (although she was pregnant
when I was asked to "look after her for a few weeks, while we move
house!?" So you'd think she'd have some tolerence)
( she hates ALL other animals, and sometimes me if I dont give her
what she wants!) kittens are the best way. When I got my Maine Coon
kitten she beat him ROYAL.
But he came from a house with LOTS of grown up females who ALL beat
the kittens if they stepped out of line! So it never bothered him, not
one bit. While for the first month I was REALLY upset, he never batted
an eyelid!
So, ten months on she ALMOST likes him. She only reacts when he pushes
her too far, but he knows what he's doing..... Its just a game to him
and now he's bigger than her he excells at it!
Hope that helps,
Tim.

supercat
October 22nd 07, 09:29 PM
Hi,
Friend is a subjective term in cat world.
Depends on your cat you have now. Is she an easy-going real steady,
lazy cat or 100% fire baby!?
Even if she is a "BITCH" given time she'll break down.
My four year old long-hair female is a nasty piece of work... she
loves me and other people but she's a BAD girl.
But I wanted another cat, so I got a Maine Coon male kitten for
company for her.
Ten months down the line...... after all the upset (me) ( didnt bother
him that she wanted to BEAT on him whenever she saw him)
they are kinda friends, and I'm sure over the next few years they will
be best buddies, he will NOT stop until she likes him.
He is QUITE possibly the most loving, forgiving fun cat I've ever
known.
Thought it was the worst thing I've ever done,
but turns out it was one of my better descisions.
Tim.

supercat
October 23rd 07, 07:00 AM
Sorry,
Re-posted as the original didn't show....... then there it is!