PDA

View Full Version : Twisty CAts

Sherry
October 21st 07, 07:10 AM
Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
controversey of a
few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
Cute little
thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
defect and she seems
to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
the Twisty Cats though.

Sherry

MaryL
October 21st 07, 02:41 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
> controversey of a
> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
> Cute little
> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
> defect and she seems
> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
> the Twisty Cats though.
>
> Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I do remember the "Twisty Kats," but I didn't remember which state was
involved. I did a little searching via the Internet, and it seems that the
locale was not far from you (and even closer to me). According to this
site, it was in Marshall, Texas:
http://www.cfainc.org/comments-twistykats.html.
Many of us -- probably *most* of us -- considered it unethical to
deliberately breed a deformity into generations of cats. This article (from
Cat Fanciers Association) includes this paragraph: "Speir has said in
interviews that she sees no difference in what she is doing and in what
breeders of recognized breeds do. She claims to be breeding something that
is appealing and 'cute.' Even though true cat lovers believe that all cats
are appealing, those who engage in purposeful breeding carry the additional
responsibility to assure that a cat's basic ability to function will not be
compromised." (The reference is to Vickie Speir, who was the breeder of the
cats.)

Here is another site that purports to give a chronology:
http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm. This site notes that Vickie
Speir claimed that she was not "breeding" but was only "reproducing a
favorite pet."

And here is an article that was posted by Vickie Ives (who was known in
earlier articles as Vickie Speir): http://www.karmafarms.com/twisty.htm.
It tells "her side" of the story and also includes several pictures. She
does claim that they do not sell Twisties.

MaryL

MaryL
October 21st 07, 02:48 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
> controversey of a
> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
> Cute little
> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
> defect and she seems
> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
> the Twisty Cats though.
>
> Sherry

Sherry,

I just posted a response to your question and included a couple of links.
Here is another site. This article one discusses the ethics of deliberately
breeding for deformities or abnormalities. The article focuses on Twisty
Cats but also discusses a broader range of abnormalities.
http://www.messybeast.com/twisty.htm

(Note: Some articles refer to them as "Twisty Cats." Others -- and this
seems to include the woman who reported the first one and who set off the
furor by breeding them -- seem to have designated them as "Twisty Kats."

MaryL

MaryL

CatNipped[_2_]
October 21st 07, 05:58 PM

> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
>> controversey of a
>> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
>> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
>> Cute little
>> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
>> defect and she seems
>> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
>> the Twisty Cats though.
>>
>> Sherry
>>

> Hi Sherry,
>
> I do remember the "Twisty Kats," but I didn't remember which state was
> involved. I did a little searching via the Internet, and it seems that
> the locale was not far from you (and even closer to me). According to
> this site, it was in Marshall, Texas:
> http://www.cfainc.org/comments-twistykats.html.
> Many of us -- probably *most* of us -- considered it unethical to
> deliberately breed a deformity into generations of cats. This article
> (from Cat Fanciers Association) includes this paragraph: "Speir has said
> in interviews that she sees no difference in what she is doing and in what
> breeders of recognized breeds do. She claims to be breeding something that
> is appealing and 'cute.' Even though true cat lovers believe that all cats
> are appealing, those who engage in purposeful breeding carry the
> additional responsibility to assure that a cat's basic ability to function
> will not be compromised." (The reference is to Vickie Speir, who was the
> breeder of the cats.)
>
> Here is another site that purports to give a chronology:
> http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm. This site notes that Vickie
> Speir claimed that she was not "breeding" but was only "reproducing a
> favorite pet."
>
> And here is an article that was posted by Vickie Ives (who was known in
> earlier articles as Vickie Speir): http://www.karmafarms.com/twisty.htm.
> It tells "her side" of the story and also includes several pictures. She
> does claim that they do not sell Twisties.
>
> MaryL

I would disagree with this article on only one point, the "None of the 37
breeds accepted by CFA involve physical characteristics that would interfere
with the cat's ability to move and to act in a normal way," declaration is,
I believe, wrong. Persian cats' faces have become so "flat" from inbreeding
that members of this breed have trouble breathing and respiratory problems.
There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose legs have been so
foreshortened that they have problems running and jumping. With all other
statements made in the article, I agree completely - the "twisty cat" idea
is horrendous.

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
October 21st 07, 06:12 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
>>> controversey of a
>>> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
>>> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
>>> Cute little
>>> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
>>> defect and she seems
>>> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
>>> the Twisty Cats though.
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>>

>> Hi Sherry,
>>
>> I do remember the "Twisty Kats," but I didn't remember which state was
>> involved. I did a little searching via the Internet, and it seems that
>> the locale was not far from you (and even closer to me). According to
>> this site, it was in Marshall, Texas:
>> http://www.cfainc.org/comments-twistykats.html.
>> Many of us -- probably *most* of us -- considered it unethical to
>> deliberately breed a deformity into generations of cats. This article
>> (from Cat Fanciers Association) includes this paragraph: "Speir has said
>> in interviews that she sees no difference in what she is doing and in
>> what breeders of recognized breeds do. She claims to be breeding
>> something that is appealing and 'cute.' Even though true cat lovers
>> believe that all cats are appealing, those who engage in purposeful
>> breeding carry the additional responsibility to assure that a cat's basic
>> ability to function will not be compromised." (The reference is to
>> Vickie Speir, who was the breeder of the cats.)
>>
>> Here is another site that purports to give a chronology:
>> http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm. This site notes that Vickie
>> Speir claimed that she was not "breeding" but was only "reproducing a
>> favorite pet."
>>
>> And here is an article that was posted by Vickie Ives (who was known in
>> earlier articles as Vickie Speir): http://www.karmafarms.com/twisty.htm.
>> It tells "her side" of the story and also includes several pictures. She
>> does claim that they do not sell Twisties.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I would disagree with this article on only one point, the "None of the 37
> breeds accepted by CFA involve physical characteristics that would
> interfere with the cat's ability to move and to act in a normal way,"
> declaration is, I believe, wrong. Persian cats' faces have become so
> "flat" from inbreeding that members of this breed have trouble breathing
> and respiratory problems. There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose
> legs have been so foreshortened that they have problems running and
> jumping. With all other statements made in the article, I agree
> completely - the "twisty cat" idea is horrendous.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Yes, I agree with the point you made. I think it is horrendous to see what
some breeders and cat shows have done in creating certain "requirements" for
specific breeds. In my opinion, the Persian and Siamese cats of many years
ago were truly beautiful. Now, we have squashed-in Persian faces that (in
my opinion, at least) create an "angry" look. This has produced the
breathing and respiratory problems you mentioned, and also associated eye
problems.

MaryL

Sherry
October 21st 07, 07:05 PM
On Oct 21, 11:58 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> > "Sherry" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
> >> controversey of a
> >> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
> >> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
> >> Cute little
> >> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
> >> defect and she seems
> >> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
> >> the Twisty Cats though.
>
> >> Sherry
>
> > Hi Sherry,
>
> > I do remember the "Twisty Kats," but I didn't remember which state was
> > involved. I did a little searching via the Internet, and it seems that
> > the locale was not far from you (and even closer to me). According to
> > this site, it was in Marshall, Texas:
> >http://www.cfainc.org/comments-twistykats.html.
> > Many of us -- probably *most* of us -- considered it unethical to
> > deliberately breed a deformity into generations of cats. This article
> > (from Cat Fanciers Association) includes this paragraph: "Speir has said
> > in interviews that she sees no difference in what she is doing and in what
> > breeders of recognized breeds do. She claims to be breeding something that
> > is appealing and 'cute.' Even though true cat lovers believe that all cats
> > are appealing, those who engage in purposeful breeding carry the
> > additional responsibility to assure that a cat's basic ability to function
> > will not be compromised." (The reference is to Vickie Speir, who was the
> > breeder of the cats.)
>
> > Here is another site that purports to give a chronology:
> >http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm. This site notes that Vickie
> > Speir claimed that she was not "breeding" but was only "reproducing a
> > favorite pet."
>
> > And here is an article that was posted by Vickie Ives (who was known in
> > earlier articles as Vickie Speir): http://www.karmafarms.com/twisty.htm.
> > It tells "her side" of the story and also includes several pictures. She
> > does claim that they do not sell Twisties.
>
> > MaryL
>
> I would disagree with this article on only one point, the "None of the 37
> breeds accepted by CFA involve physical characteristics that would interfere
> with the cat's ability to move and to act in a normal way," declaration is,
> I believe, wrong. Persian cats' faces have become so "flat" from inbreeding
> that members of this breed have trouble breathing and respiratory problems.
> There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose legs have been so
> foreshortened that they have problems running and jumping. With all other
> statements made in the article, I agree completely - the "twisty cat" idea
> is horrendous.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Oh absolutely. Their sinuses and eyes are even screwed up because
their
faces are practically concave now. This is nothing more than stupid
breeders who think they are "improving" the breed. (Definition of
"improve":
whatever gets more rosettes)
Look at a Persian from a few decades ago. They look nothing like
Persians
today.

Sherry

CatNipped[_2_]
October 21st 07, 07:14 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> that members of this breed have trouble breathing and respiratory
>> problems.
>> There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose legs have been so
>> foreshortened that they have problems running and jumping. With all
>> other
>> statements made in the article, I agree completely - the "twisty cat"
>> idea
>> is horrendous.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -
>>
> Oh absolutely. Their sinuses and eyes are even screwed up because
> their
> faces are practically concave now. This is nothing more than stupid
> breeders who think they are "improving" the breed. (Definition of
> "improve":
> whatever gets more rosettes)
> Look at a Persian from a few decades ago. They look nothing like

Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase down
and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold down the
prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the killing bite
to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes that is perfect
for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but gruesome in the most
beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature has created the perfect
killing machine and man has no business trying to change perfection.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
October 21st 07, 07:29 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
> same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
> speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
> down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold down
> the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the killing
> bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes that is
> perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but gruesome in the
> most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature has created the
> perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to change
> perfection.

You scary, scary woman. :)

CatNipped[_2_]
October 21st 07, 08:29 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
>> same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
>> speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
>> down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold
>> down the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the
>> killing bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes
>> that is perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but
>> gruesome in the most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature
>> has created the perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to
>> change perfection.
>>

> You scary, scary woman. :)

LOL! You already knew that - you've seen me in a flame war and know I go
directly for the throat! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
October 21st 07, 08:31 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
>> same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
>> speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
>> down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold
>> down the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the
>> killing bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes
>> that is perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but
>> gruesome in the most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature
>> has created the perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to
>> change perfection.
>>

> You scary, scary woman. :)

And another thought, I haven't asked anyone here, but as far as I know IRL,
I'm the only person I know who watches nature shows and roots for the cat
instead of the gazelle! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

October 22nd 07, 12:28 AM
In article >,
says...
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> ups.com...

> >> I would disagree with this article on only one point, the "None of the 37
> >> breeds accepted by CFA involve physical characteristics that would
> >> interfere
> >> with the cat's ability to move and to act in a normal way," declaration
> >> is,
> >> I believe, wrong. Persian cats' faces have become so "flat" from
> >> inbreeding
> >> that members of this breed have trouble breathing and respiratory
> >> problems.
> >> There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose legs have been so
> >> foreshortened that they have problems running and jumping. With all
> >> other
> >> statements made in the article, I agree completely - the "twisty cat"
> >> idea
> >> is horrendous.
> >>
> >> Hugs,
> >>
> >> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -
> >>
> > Oh absolutely. Their sinuses and eyes are even screwed up because
> > their
> > faces are practically concave now. This is nothing more than stupid
> > breeders who think they are "improving" the breed. (Definition of
> > "improve":
> > whatever gets more rosettes)
> > Look at a Persian from a few decades ago. They look nothing like
> > Persians
> > today.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
> same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
> speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase down
> and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold down the
> prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the killing bite
> to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes that is perfect
> for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but gruesome in the most
> beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature has created the perfect
> killing machine and man has no business trying to change perfection.

No doubt. Cats are the ultimate predator and it's all hard-wired. Even a
cat that has never had to hunt still has the full set of skills to do
so.

cybercat
October 22nd 07, 01:04 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> I'm the only person I know who watches nature shows and roots for the cat
> instead of the gazelle! ;>

ooo I cannot even watch those shows.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 22nd 07, 01:17 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> I'm the only person I know who watches nature shows and roots for the cat
>> instead of the gazelle! ;>
>>

> ooo I cannot even watch those shows.

I get really upset when the cat misses and has to go hungry (especially if
there are cubs "at home"). I am somewhat of a bigot when it comes to herd
animals and herbivores - I mean, how much intelligence does it take to sneak
up on a blade of grass? ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
October 22nd 07, 02:01 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>> I'm the only person I know who watches nature shows and roots for the
>>> cat instead of the gazelle! ;>
>>>

>> ooo I cannot even watch those shows.
>
> I get really upset when the cat misses and has to go hungry (especially if
> there are cubs "at home"). I am somewhat of a bigot when it comes to herd
> animals and herbivores - I mean, how much intelligence does it take to
> sneak up on a blade of grass? ;>

I can see this. I am just not much on seeing Bambi--or anything for that
matter--get slaughtered. Although, if I could see the stray who keeps
killing voles and leaving them for me actually kill them, I might like that.
The little bahstahds have killed so many of my plants. Good plants, too.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 22nd 07, 03:10 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>>>

>>> ooo I cannot even watch those shows.
>>
>> I get really upset when the cat misses and has to go hungry (especially
>> if there are cubs "at home"). I am somewhat of a bigot when it comes to
>> herd animals and herbivores - I mean, how much intelligence does it take
>> to sneak up on a blade of grass? ;>
>>

> I can see this. I am just not much on seeing Bambi--or anything for that
> matter--get slaughtered. Although, if I could see the stray who keeps
> killing voles and leaving them for me actually kill them, I might like
> that. The little bahstahds have killed so many of my plants. Good plants,
> too.

LOL! I don't blame you - a little furry hero to your plants and you is a
good thing to have!

Hugs,

CatNipped

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:24 AM
On Oct 20, 11:10 pm, Sherry > wrote:
> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
> controversey of a
> few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
> I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
> Cute little
> thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
> defect and she seems
> to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
> the Twisty Cats though.
>
> Sherry

Vickie Speir, Texas. Don't remember where, exactly. What an ass she
was. I flamed the **** out of her on some newsgroup at one point.

-L.

-L.
October 22nd 07, 10:43 AM
On Oct 20, 11:10 pm, Sherry > wrote:
> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding

<snip>

> Sherry

By the way - how's Jake? ;)

-L.

Sherry
October 23rd 07, 05:31 AM
On Oct 22, 4:43 am, "-L." > wrote:
> On Oct 20, 11:10 pm, Sherry > wrote:> Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
>
> <snip>
>
> > Sherry
>
> By the way - how's Jake? ;)
>
> -L.

You know, I didn't see him/her after early spring, not once. I was
kind of concerned
about this--especially after the awful flooding we had in the spring.
But I think
I *have* seen her/his progeny--lots of babies around during August.
They're
really cute. Not much bigger than those 'Husky" kindergartner's
pencils.

Sherry

Sherry

-L.
October 23rd 07, 08:17 AM
On Oct 22, 9:31 pm, Sherry > wrote:

> You know, I didn't see him/her after early spring, not once. I was
> kind of concerned
> about this--especially after the awful flooding we had in the spring.
> But I think
> I *have* seen her/his progeny--lots of babies around during August.
> They're
> really cute. Not much bigger than those 'Husky" kindergartner's
> pencils.
>
> Sherry
>
> Sherry

The babies really are darling, aren't they? :)
If you changed anything in the yard, she may have moved. She may go
back down into your basement in the winter , as well.

-L.