PDA

View Full Version : How to....outdoor to indoor

J.King
October 25th 07, 12:26 AM
Hi

I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging around
my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted me. I've
always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier (about my
animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it possible to make
an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????

Thanks

Joanne

cybercat
October 25th 07, 12:53 AM
"J.King" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging around
> my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted me. I've
> always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier (about my
> animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it possible to make
> an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????

Yes! Here is how you do it: Keep the door closed. ;)

Just playing. Your cat might yell and complain, but he will get used to it.
Make sure he has good window perches and plenty of play, and hiding
places. If he bothers you at night, keeping you awake telling you he wants
to go out, you may have to confine him to a comfy room with box, food,
water,
and toys at night. If he is really loud and your place is very small you
might need
to get a big Hepa filter and keep that by your bed to drown him out.

I really appreciate your caring enough about your cat to decide to keep him
safe. Outside life for cats is overrated. They spend as much time out there
sleeping as they would inside.

AZ Nomad
October 25th 07, 01:41 AM
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:53:51 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"J.King" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging around
>> my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted me. I've
>> always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier (about my
>> animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it possible to make
>> an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????
>>

>Yes! Here is how you do it: Keep the door closed. ;)

>Just playing. Your cat might yell and complain, but he will get used to it.
>Make sure he has good window perches and plenty of play, and hiding
>places. If he bothers you at night, keeping you awake telling you he wants
>to go out, you may have to confine him to a comfy room with box, food,
>water,
>and toys at night. If he is really loud and your place is very small you
>might need
>to get a big Hepa filter and keep that by your bed to drown him out.

Unless you have a siamese cat. They're worse than nails on a blackboard and
are quite capable for howling for 200 hours uninterupted.

Hate to say it, but all you can do is make sure to never let such a kitty
taste the outdoors.

AZ Nomad
October 25th 07, 02:22 AM
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:52:57 -0400, Matthew > wrote:
>The last feral we had that did that. I set up a clapper attached to it was a
>hair dryer set to full blast. Took care of the problem after a few days.
>The only real time he ignored it. I got one of those air horns when he
>started and
>BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It took
>twice for him to get the picture and that was it. Now in retrospect I
>personally hoped it took more for it disturbed the ex wife ;-)

I bet it wasn't a siamese kitty. With a siamese kitty, all you can do
is what the kitty wants. There is no winning against a siamese kitty's
vocal cords.

My wife and I have tried to keep my buddy Mongo in a few times. We both agree
that when she gets ready to strangle him, it's time to just let him out. We
always lose. He howls day and night and runs laps over our bed all night long
when he is kept inside.

cybercat
October 25th 07, 04:18 AM
"Matthew" > wrote

> Sounds like he has you trained well ;-)

Right. We are the ones with the large forebrains and opposable
thumbs. We can win.

This is what doors are for, and large HEPA filters.

John Doe
October 25th 07, 04:50 AM
"J.King" > wrote:

> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was
> hanging around my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him
> and he adopted me. I've always had inside cats. This one goes
> out. I'm a worrier (about my animals). I worry as soon as I lose
> sight of him. Is it possible to make an indoor cat out of a stray
> who lives to go outside????

Exercise is easy to provide with carpeted 1x4s or 2x4s (if you don't
mind the weight). An electric staple gun is the easiest (of course
you want to embed the staples deeply and on the opposite side of
travel). Warming up to the idea might take weeks or longer, so don't
get discouraged if he doesn't climb them immediately.

Good luck and have fun

> Thanks
>
> Joanne

Rene S.
October 25th 07, 05:33 PM
On Oct 24, 6:26 pm, "J.King" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging around
> my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted me. I've
> always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier (about my
> animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it possible to make
> an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????
>
> Thanks
>
> Joanne

Can you build an outdoor enclosure for him? That way, he can go
"outside" but you can't lose sight of him.

J.King
October 25th 07, 11:19 PM
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know I need to practise tough love
here but it's so hard. He will even go out when it's pouring rain or in a
snowstorm if I let him. He really loves it. Right now he usually comes
home in a short amount of time. I'm always afraid that if I don't let him
out,if he gets out accidently he may not come back? In 2 years he has not
spent a night outside. Has anyone ever used one of those underground fences
(for dogs), for cats?

Joanne

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "J.King" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging
>> around my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted
>> me. I've always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier
>> (about my animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it
>> possible to make an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????
>>

> Yes! Here is how you do it: Keep the door closed. ;)
>
> Just playing. Your cat might yell and complain, but he will get used to
> it.
> Make sure he has good window perches and plenty of play, and hiding
> places. If he bothers you at night, keeping you awake telling you he wants
> to go out, you may have to confine him to a comfy room with box, food,
> water,
> and toys at night. If he is really loud and your place is very small you
> might need
> to get a big Hepa filter and keep that by your bed to drown him out.
>
> I really appreciate your caring enough about your cat to decide to keep
> him
> safe. Outside life for cats is overrated. They spend as much time out
> there
> sleeping as they would inside.

J.King
October 25th 07, 11:21 PM
I've had 7 Siamese over the past 22 years. I'm down to my last one now.
He's 17 and is an inside cat. (They all died of old age.) If he decided he
wanted out there would be no way in hell I could put up with the howling!
LOL

Joanne

> Unless you have a siamese cat. They're worse than nails on a blackboard
> and
> are quite capable for howling for 200 hours uninterupted.
>
> Hate to say it, but all you can do is make sure to never let such a kitty
> taste the outdoors.

J.King
October 25th 07, 11:24 PM
This cat weighs 20 lbs already! He's huge! I'd hate to see him gain even
more weight. He also doesn't jump or climb things. He just loves chasing
the mice out around the barn:-/

Joanne

"John Doe" > wrote in message
. ..
> "J.King" > wrote:
>
>> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was
>> hanging around my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him
>> and he adopted me. I've always had inside cats. This one goes
>> out. I'm a worrier (about my animals). I worry as soon as I lose
>> sight of him. Is it possible to make an indoor cat out of a stray
>> who lives to go outside????
>
> Exercise is easy to provide with carpeted 1x4s or 2x4s (if you don't
> mind the weight). An electric staple gun is the easiest (of course
> you want to embed the staples deeply and on the opposite side of
> travel). Warming up to the idea might take weeks or longer, so don't
> get discouraged if he doesn't climb them immediately.
>
> Good luck and have fun

J.King
October 25th 07, 11:26 PM
I have a small one outside a basement window...it's about 6 ft long by 3
feet wide. It's also coming into winter so can't keep the basement window
open. I could look into making a bigger one in the spring with more
interesting things in it though....that might work... Thanks!

Joanne
"Rene S." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 24, 6:26 pm, "J.King" > wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging
>> around
>> my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted me.
>> I've
>> always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier (about my
>> animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it possible to
>> make
>> an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joanne
>
> Can you build an outdoor enclosure for him? That way, he can go
> "outside" but you can't lose sight of him.

Sherry
October 26th 07, 02:20 PM
On Oct 25, 5:19 pm, "J.King" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know I need to practise tough love
> here but it's so hard. He will even go out when it's pouring rain or in a
> snowstorm if I let him. He really loves it. Right now he usually comes
> home in a short amount of time. I'm always afraid that if I don't let him
> out,if he gets out accidently he may not come back? In 2 years he has not
> spent a night outside. Has anyone ever used one of those underground fences
> (for dogs), for cats?
>
> Joanne
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "J.King" > wrote in message
> >> Hi
>
> >> I took in a huge stray male cat almost 2 years ago. He was hanging
> >> around my barn for about 2 years before I befriended him and he adopted
> >> me. I've always had inside cats. This one goes out. I'm a worrier
> >> (about my animals). I worry as soon as I lose sight of him. Is it
> >> possible to make an indoor cat out of a stray who lives to go outside????
>
> > Yes! Here is how you do it: Keep the door closed. ;)
>
> > Just playing. Your cat might yell and complain, but he will get used to
> > it.
> > Make sure he has good window perches and plenty of play, and hiding
> > places. If he bothers you at night, keeping you awake telling you he wants
> > to go out, you may have to confine him to a comfy room with box, food,
> > water,
> > and toys at night. If he is really loud and your place is very small you
> > might need
> > to get a big Hepa filter and keep that by your bed to drown him out.
>
> > I really appreciate your caring enough about your cat to decide to keep
> > him
> > safe. Outside life for cats is overrated. They spend as much time out
> > there
> > sleeping as they would inside.- Hide quoted text -

Would it be possible for you to build some kind of enclosure for him?
It doesn't have to be fancy. Even a small area gives them some
sunshine,
fresh air, and an interesting view. If he's absolutely inconsolable as
an
indoor cat, that might help.
Sherry

Sherry
October 26th 07, 02:26 PM
On Oct 24, 8:22 pm, AZ Nomad > wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:52:57 -0400, Matthew > wrote:
> >The last feral we had that did that. I set up a clapper attached to it was a
> >hair dryer set to full blast. Took care of the problem after a few days.
> >The only real time he ignored it. I got one of those air horns when he
> >started and
> >BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It took
> >twice for him to get the picture and that was it. Now in retrospect I
> >personally hoped it took more for it disturbed the ex wife ;-)
>
> I bet it wasn't a siamese kitty. With a siamese kitty, all you can do
> is what the kitty wants. There is no winning against a siamese kitty's
> vocal cords.
>
> My wife and I have tried to keep my buddy Mongo in a few times. We both agree
> that when she gets ready to strangle him, it's time to just let him out. We
> always lose. He howls day and night and runs laps over our bed all night long
> when he is kept inside.

Been there. Unless yo'uve had a Siamese, you can't really understand
this. They
don't just meow pitifully at the door like other cats. Luke would
*follow* me, from
room to room, screaming "OOOUUUUUTTTTT". Then run back to the door,
screaming "OOOUUUUTTT"....just in case I'd forgotten what it was he
was
wanting.

Sherry

Sherry

CHRISTIAN SVERCHEK
October 27th 07, 04:10 AM
I would look into having the cat neutered if it isnt already. My female cat
was born wild and after she was spayed she loves to spend her time either in
my lap or sleeping on my chest. :)

J.King
October 27th 07, 10:09 AM
He was neutred before I even took him into the house:-) I had another
male(Siamese) in the house. He just loves to hunt. If he would confine his
hunting to the barn I would be content with it.

Joanne