PDA

View Full Version : Aggresive cat.

October 25th 07, 05:46 PM
My older (about 4 years) male cat is showing major aggression to the
younger male in my home(1 1/2 years) . The younger male has been with
me since I took in a stray female who was pregnant, there were no
aggression issue until about 6 monhts ago when my daughter and I
moved. Myself and the older male were staying in the new place while I
did repairs on it and my daughter and the younger male stayed at a
friends. I would bring the younger male over to visit 3-4 times a
week, on one of these visits he viciously attacked the older, much
larger male to the point that he was cowering on top of my fridge and
would not stay in the same room as the younger male.I stopped the
visits for a while. When my daughter and her male moved in to the new
place the older male decieded he was going to contantly attack the
younger one. I am at my wits end on what to do about this, I keep them
seperate now because the younger male was hiding out in the bed room
all the time, no playing at all and I really don't think that is good
for him. Both males have been fixed so I'm not really sure what the
issue is. Also I have 2 fixed females here, one has been with me since
she was born, she is the sister to the younger male, and a stray I
brought home, when I keep the older male away from the younger one
some times he will attack the sister to him, she is very small and I
worry about him huting her. Any ideas would really help. Thanks.

Rene S.
October 25th 07, 06:58 PM
It sounds like when you moved and separated the cats, the other cat
smelled "different" to your older male, so he attacked him.
Unfortunately,it sounds like that only escalated and he attacks all of
the cats. :(

I would keep him separate for a week or two. Plug in some Feliway
diffusers and put Rescue Remedy (herbal remedy, www.rescueremedy.com)
in all of the cats' water bowls (four drops per bowl) Every few days,
swap his location, so he can smell the other cats' scent. Rub towels
on the other cats and put them in his room. Give them treats on
opposite sides of the door, and play with them under the door.

This might take weeks or even months to calm down. I've been where you
are and it takes patience and positive reinforcement. It can seem like
you're taking two steps forward and one step back at times, but things
should improve with time. Just don't rush anything and don't just
throw them all together and expect them to work it out. That will only
make things worse.

John Doe
October 26th 07, 02:07 AM
" > wrote:

> My older (about 4 years) male cat is showing major aggression to
> the younger male in my home(1 1/2 years) . The younger male has
> been with me since I took in a stray female who was pregnant,
> there were no aggression issue until about 6 monhts ago when my
> daughter and I moved. Myself and the older male were staying in
> the new place while I did repairs on it and my daughter and the
> younger male stayed at a friends. I would bring the younger male
> over to visit 3-4 times a week, on one of these visits he
> viciously attacked the older, much larger male to the point that
> he was cowering on top of my fridge and would not stay in the same
> room as the younger male.I stopped the visits for a while.

Sounds like the older male has gotten use to your exclusive
attention. Hopefully you have already clipped his claws and allowed
the others to have very sharp claws.

> when I keep the older male away from the younger one some times he
> will attack the sister to him, she is very small and I worry about
> him huting her. Any ideas would really help. Thanks.

Umm, put her in the same room with the younger male?

Hopefully you have already clipped the older male's claws, and kept
them clipped. In my estimation, fighting is probably the most
stressful indoor activity there can be. Outside, cats run away from
things they don't like. Inside, they are stuck. It's not only a
physical hazard, but there might be major stress.

I would make sure the aggressor's claws are clipped short as
possible without injury, and show him lots of attention at the same
time. And hope that the problem doesn't persist.

> I am at my wits end on what to do about this, I keep them seperate
> now because the younger male was hiding out in the bed room all
> the time, no playing at all and I really don't think that is good
> for him.

I couldn't agree more. If the younger male could get outside, he
would run away and find another place to play.

Good luck.

John Doe
October 26th 07, 02:10 AM
I wrote:

> I would make sure the aggressor's claws are clipped short as
> possible without injury, and show him lots of attention at the same
> time.

Or maybe show neither of them attention. I wonder if he got more
attention than usual when you to were together alone.

Anyway, good luck.