PDA

View Full Version : Cat not drinking water

RPSinha
October 26th 07, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

Rene S.
October 26th 07, 09:45 PM
On Oct 26, 3:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

If she's getting an all-canned diet, she's most likely getting all the
water she needs from her diet. This is normal and nothing to worry
about. It's a good sign, actually! :) Of course, you should still have
water available at all times in case she needs some.

AMUN[_2_]
October 26th 07, 09:48 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
>I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.

Likely.

> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?

Unless you see dust clouds come out of kitty's mouth when it sneezes, no
worry.
Leave water around. and make sure its always fresh.

> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see <LOL>

studio
October 26th 07, 09:57 PM
On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.

More than likely drinking when you don't see her.
She could also be drinking from other sources, and even rain water.

> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?

Absolutely leave out fresh clean water on a daily basis regardless.

> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

You can't force a cat to do anything.

RPSinha
October 26th 07, 09:59 PM
: > should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
: > (about the only leverage I have)?
:
: As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see <LOL>

Notice that I wrote "try" and with considerable hopelessness while I
typed---wish they sold catnip flavored water. :)

I have posted a couple other questions, since you have the experience
please respond to those as well. Thanks.

William Graham
October 27th 07, 12:38 AM
"AMUN" > wrote in message ...

> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
>>I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>> there to notice it.
>
> Likely.
>

>> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Unless you see dust clouds come out of kitty's mouth when it sneezes, no
> worry.
> Leave water around. and make sure its always fresh.
>

>> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>> (about the only leverage I have)?
>

> As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see <LOL>

Reminds me of a joke by "Bugs" Baer, a columnist for the old New York
Journal American.....He said, "You can lead a horse to water, but if you can
get him to swim on his back, you're got something."

William Graham
October 27th 07, 12:40 AM
"studio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
>> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>> there to notice it.
>
> More than likely drinking when you don't see her.
> She could also be drinking from other sources, and even rain water.

My cats love rain water, old dirty fountain water, and any water that isn't
fresh and chlorine smelling.

Mike[_3_]
October 27th 07, 04:49 AM
> You can't force a cat to do anything.

There's really nothing you can force a cat to do, is there? You can't force
them to go to sleep, to sit still for a picture, to be affectionate when you
want or anything.

Mike in Illinois

"studio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
>> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>> there to notice it.
>
> More than likely drinking when you don't see her.
> She could also be drinking from other sources, and even rain water.
>
>> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Absolutely leave out fresh clean water on a daily basis regardless.
>
>> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>> (about the only leverage I have)?
>
> You can't force a cat to do anything.

studio
October 27th 07, 06:32 AM
On Oct 26, 7:40 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
> My cats love rain water, old dirty fountain water, and any water that isn't
> fresh and chlorine smelling.

Yes.
Big Mama has 2 water supplies outside seperate from the elements...
yet if it rains, she'll drink that instead.

October 27th 07, 07:53 AM
On Oct 26, 3:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

Your cat will definatly tell you if its thirsty! Yours sounds ok,
don't worry! If you don't see signs of dehydration, she's fine. Cats
need fresh water everyday so change it daily! Also cats can't be
forced to do anything.

Upscale
October 27th 07, 08:08 AM
> > wrote in message
> Also cats can't be forced to do anything.

Sure they can. If I want my cat to move in a particular direction, I pull
her tail lightly in the opposite direction. Works most every time.... Unless
of course, she's in a fighting mood and then she flips backwards, bear-hugs
my ram and sinks her teeth into it. <g>

Nicolaas Hawkins
October 27th 07, 09:36 AM
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:41 -0400, Upscale > wrote
in >:

>> > wrote in message
>> Also cats can't be forced to do anything.
>
> Sure they can. If I want my cat to move in a particular direction, I pull
> her tail lightly in the opposite direction. Works most every time.... Unless
> of course, she's in a fighting mood and then she flips backwards, bear-hugs
> my ram and sinks her teeth into it. <g>

What are you doing with your ram anywhere near your cat? That's just
perverted.

--
Nicolaas.

.... A real person has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and
the real reason.

William Graham
October 27th 07, 10:52 PM
"Nicolaas Hawkins" > wrote in message

>>> Also cats can't be forced to do anything.
>>
>> Sure they can. If I want my cat to move in a particular direction, I pull
>> her tail lightly in the opposite direction. Works most every time....
>> Unless
>> of course, she's in a fighting mood and then she flips backwards,
>> bear-hugs
>> my ram and sinks her teeth into it. <g>
>
> What are you doing with your ram anywhere near your cat? That's just
> perverted.

What's a "ram"?

Upscale
October 28th 07, 12:44 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
> What's a "ram"?

A mistyped "arm".

Upscale
October 28th 07, 12:45 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
> What's a "ram"?

A mistyped "arm".

AMUN[_2_]
October 28th 07, 01:57 AM
"Upscale" > wrote in message

> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>> What's a "ram"?
>
> A mistyped "arm".

And if you've ever had a mistyped arm, you know how painful that can be.

William Graham
October 28th 07, 02:06 AM
"AMUN" > wrote in message ...

> "Upscale" > wrote in message
>>
>> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>>> What's a "ram"?
>>
>> A mistyped "arm".
>

> And if you've ever had a mistyped arm, you know how painful that can be.

LOL! - I thought it was some kind of stick one would use to coerce cats into
going where you want them to go........I'm glad that its just an
arm....That's what I use, too. (and my hand has the scratches to prove it.)

honeybunch
October 30th 07, 12:27 AM
On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

YOu can lead a cat to water, but you cant make her drink, said the
wise old sage of yesteryear. Beebe seems to have an interest in
drinking out of the toilet bowl on the second floor so I put a dish of
water next to the toilet and Ive seen him drinking out of it.
Actually when I notice that he's gone into that bathroom I usually go
in and change the water in the dish and he drinks out of it.

Me[_3_]
October 30th 07, 07:12 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
>I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

Go to petsmart.com & buy a "water fountain" water dish. It causes the water
to flow through the dish. Cats love running water. Ours will drink only
from it; they will not drink standing water.

And take the cat to the vet to get its blood tested. Vet will know what to
test for.

Me[_3_]
October 30th 07, 07:19 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
>I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

She probably is drinking in public, but you should get the "recycling
fountain" dish.

October 31st 07, 12:12 PM
On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> there to notice it.
>
> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> and let her nature take its course?
>
> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> (about the only leverage I have)?

I didn't see this mentioned, so I thought I would mention it. One
thing you could do is add a little water to her canned food and mix it
in. That will give her a little more water intake. You could also turn
on a water faucet really slow and see if she will drink from it and do
that a couple times a day. Perhaps put a little toy in the sink also
to encourage her, Max loves to drink that way and then play with a toy
mouse in the sink.
Your vet could always run a test to check for hydration. You can also
do it at home one of two ways.

1. I check hydration on my crf kitty every day this way:
Feel her gums (hopefully you will be able to) If they feel slick, she
is well hydrated. If they feel sticky or tacky, she is not and this is
a problem. A vet visit would then be in order.
OR
2. Gently pull the fur at the nape of her neck. If it bounces right
back, she is hydrated. If it stands up or goes down slowly, you have a
problem and she is not getting enough water. I have been told about
this method, but it doesn't work for me, but it might for you, I use
the first method.
HTH

Hactar
October 31st 07, 02:07 PM
In article >, Me > wrote:

> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
> >I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
> > she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
> > there to notice it.
> >
> > Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
> > and let her nature take its course?
> >
> > Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> > (about the only leverage I have)?
>
> Go to petsmart.com & buy a "water fountain" water dish. It causes the water
> to flow through the dish. Cats love running water. Ours will drink only
> from it; they will not drink standing water.

Keep in mind that there's no reasonable way to get the water _out_, so
you'll have to carry the full contraption to the sink to clean it.
And change the charcoal filter every once in a while, otherwise it gets
fouled. With those caveats, my cat loved it, and it was nearly silent.
Hard to tell it's running except for the presence of water on the ramp.

--
-eben royalty.mine.nu:81
> A: It's annoying as hell
> Q: Why do most people hate top-posting? -- Lots42 The Library Avenger
http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

Petzl
November 6th 07, 04:16 AM
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

>I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>there to notice it.
>
>Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>and let her nature take its course?
>
>Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>(about the only leverage I have)?

You should have a bowl of fresh water available
The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
That said cats don't drink much water
Petzl
--
<http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/default.aspx>
or <http://tinyurl.com/7a7wt>

RPSinha
November 6th 07, 04:37 AM
Petzl > wrote:

: You should have a bowl of fresh water available
: The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.

The water bowl is stainless steel and 6" in diameter. Her food plates
are china, also 6" indiameter, with very gentle "lip" at the edge.

The plates and the bowl aren't from a "pet store". They were just our
old stock sitting around that we weren't using.

I always have water available, change it about twice daily, usually at
the feeding time. The funny thing is, every time I set down the water
bowl, she keeps running with great excitement thinking it is food, even
sniffs the water, and then goes back to waiting for the food. Now, the
water bowl looks very different from food plates and I thought she
would learn to tell the difference but she takes no chances. :)

RPSinha
November 6th 07, 04:47 AM
Update since the original post:

I have seen her sip the water a couple times. A little relief, to be
sure.

It was during the days when we had to give her some dry food because of
schedule. So, she does have pretty good sense of how hydrated she is
and if she drinks no water (or just less water and I don't get to see
it) that must be because her usual diet is almost 100% canned and she
must not feel the need. My confidence in this this cat is growing!

As I mention in another post, I change the water at feeding times and
one thing I find most amusing is, every time I set down the water bowl,
she comes running with great excitement thinking it is food, sniffs the
water, and then goes back to waiting for the food.

Now, the water bowl is stainless steel and looks very different from
the white china food plates and I thought she would learn to tell the
difference but she wants to take no chances. :)

RPSinha > wrote:

: I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
: she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
: there to notice it.
:
: Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
: and let her nature take its course?
:
: Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
: (about the only leverage I have)?

Petzl
November 6th 07, 05:04 AM
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 04:37:32 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

>Petzl > wrote:
>
>: You should have a bowl of fresh water available
>: The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
>
>The water bowl is stainless steel and 6" in diameter. Her food plates
>are china, also 6" indiameter, with very gentle "lip" at the edge.
>
>The plates and the bowl aren't from a "pet store". They were just our
>old stock sitting around that we weren't using.
>
>I always have water available, change it about twice daily, usually at
>the feeding time. The funny thing is, every time I set down the water
>bowl, she keeps running with great excitement thinking it is food, even
>sniffs the water, and then goes back to waiting for the food. Now, the
>water bowl looks very different from food plates and I thought she
>would learn to tell the difference but she takes no chances. :)

Stainless Steel is also a excellent choice. Nothing wrong with a
saucer from cupboard

Cats also have a high sensitivity to taste (often not liking plastic)
a drop or two of fish water in it may also tempt a cat to drink. You
may wish to try mineral water in a saucer

That said my 2 old alley cats (inside outside) love a coke cola bottle
screwed into plastic bowl filled weekly with tap water, at end of week
it is ½ empty (2 litre) The water I give with their food is rarely
touched

All pets except for horses do not sweat cats, I believe, evolved from
desert areas. Point is cats do not drink much
Petzl
--
<http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/default.aspx>
or <http://tinyurl.com/7a7wt>
Complete Windows Protection (Genuine Microsoft Part)
90 days *free* trail from Microsoft

RPSinha
November 6th 07, 05:26 AM

: >Petzl > wrote:

: Cats also have a high sensitivity to taste (often not liking plastic)
: a drop or two of fish water in it may also tempt a cat to drink. You
: may wish to try mineral water in a saucer

Where do you get "fish water"? Of course I could save the water from
tuna cans and in a small bottle and try that.

But as I said in another post, I am less anxious now that I have seen
her take a few sips a couple times. It was when we had to leave dry
food for her. So she has pretty good idea of when she needs water and
may be I should just leave her alone. :)

Petzl
November 6th 07, 06:23 AM
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 05:26:15 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

>Petzl > wrote:
>
>: On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 04:37:32 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:
>:
>: >Petzl > wrote:
>
>: Cats also have a high sensitivity to taste (often not liking plastic)
>: a drop or two of fish water in it may also tempt a cat to drink. You
>: may wish to try mineral water in a saucer
>
>Where do you get "fish water"? Of course I could save the water from
>tuna cans and in a small bottle and try that.

Tuna or Sardine cans even a chunk of cat food in cats water I doubt if
it matters

Petzl
--
<http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/default.aspx>
or <http://tinyurl.com/7a7wt>
Complete Windows Protection (Genuine Microsoft Part)
90 days *free* trail from Microsoft

dgk
November 6th 07, 07:26 PM
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 04:47:25 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

>Update since the original post:
>
>I have seen her sip the water a couple times. A little relief, to be
>sure.
>
>It was during the days when we had to give her some dry food because of
>schedule. So, she does have pretty good sense of how hydrated she is
>and if she drinks no water (or just less water and I don't get to see
>it) that must be because her usual diet is almost 100% canned and she
>must not feel the need. My confidence in this this cat is growing!
>
>As I mention in another post, I change the water at feeding times and
>one thing I find most amusing is, every time I set down the water bowl,
>she comes running with great excitement thinking it is food, sniffs the
>water, and then goes back to waiting for the food.
>
>Now, the water bowl is stainless steel and looks very different from
>the white china food plates and I thought she would learn to tell the
>difference but she wants to take no chances. :)
>
>RPSinha > wrote:
>
>: I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>: she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>: there to notice it.
>:
>: Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>: and let her nature take its course?
>:
>: Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>: (about the only leverage I have)?

They really don't drink very much. In fact, if one starts drinking a
lot, think diabetes. Be happy your kitty isn't drinking too much.

I have one of the fountains (petmate) and Espy is the only one that
drinks with any regularity, and I see him do it once or twice a week.
Nipsy ignores it completely. Marlo likes looking at it but doesn't
care to drink from it.

William Graham
April 11th 08, 08:48 PM
"JJ206" > wrote in message
> Petzl wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>>> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>>> there to notice it.
>>> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>>> and let her nature take its course?
>>> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>>> (about the only leverage I have)?
>>
>> You should have a bowl of fresh water available The best bowl is ceramic
>> and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
>> That said cats don't drink much water
>> Petzl
>
> What's bad about metal bowls ?
>
> Jon

Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......

William Graham
April 11th 08, 09:18 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> William Graham wrote on 11/04/2008 :

>>> What's bad about metal bowls ?
>>>
>>> Jon
>>
>> Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
>> birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
>> pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
>> they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
>> taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......
>
> Are they OK with metal bowls though ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

I don't use metal bowls, but I don't think it would hurt the cats,
especially if it was made out of aluminum or stainless steel.....I would
avoid copper and/or brass.

William Graham
April 12th 08, 04:05 AM
"Kathy" > wrote in message

>> Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
>> birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
>> pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
>> they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
>> taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......
> My cat has been caught drinking out of the fishbowl- one fish, pretty
> testy about his small bowl. She laps up water unless she gets caught. She
> doesn't seem to want the fish, but maybe it's because he (the fish) keeps
> moving. It's the same water she has in her fountain, except it has a fish
> and fish leavings/food in it...
> Kathy
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions of
years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

JJ206
April 12th 08, 08:26 PM
Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:
>
>> I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
>> she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
>> there to notice it.
>>
>> Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
>> and let her nature take its course?
>>
>> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
>> (about the only leverage I have)?
>
> You should have a bowl of fresh water available
> The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
> That said cats don't drink much water
> Petzl

What's bad about metal bowls ?

Jon

Baldoni[_8_]
April 12th 08, 08:56 PM
William Graham wrote on 11/04/2008 :
> "JJ206" > wrote in message
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> You should have a bowl of fresh water available The best bowl is ceramic
>>> and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
>>> That said cats don't drink much water
>>> Petzl
>>
>> What's bad about metal bowls ?
>>
>> Jon
>
> Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
> birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
> pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but they
> still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint taste of
> chlorine....I don't know what it is.......

Are they OK with metal bowls though ?

--
Count Baldoni

Kathy[_2_]
April 13th 08, 02:37 AM

> Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
> birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
> pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
> they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
> taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......
My cat has been caught drinking out of the fishbowl- one fish, pretty testy
about his small bowl. She laps up water unless she gets caught. She doesn't
seem to want the fish, but maybe it's because he (the fish) keeps moving.
It's the same water she has in her fountain, except it has a fish and fish
leavings/food in it...
Kathy

Petzl
April 13th 08, 02:57 AM
On Apr 13, 5:26*am, JJ206 >
wrote:
> Petzl wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha > wrote:

[Snip]
> >> Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
> >> (about the only leverage I have)?
>
> > You should have a bowl of fresh water available
> > The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
> > That said cats don't drink much water
> > Petzl
>
> What's bad about metal bowls ?
>
> Jon

Nothing if your cat will drink from it (cats can be picky)
Metal & plastic bowls can taint the water. (do you dink tea or coffee
from a metal cup? Most can taste a difference)

That said
For my cats I use a 2 litre coke bottle screwed into a plastic
drinking bowl which they seem to like. I have this outside and abut a
litre a week is missing I have only seen my cats drink from it I
suspect cat parties at night may also contribute

For feeding wet food I use disposable plastic party plates (not bowl)
and add a little water around food.
Although "party plates" are disposable they can be washed but are very
cheap to buy

I have top quality dry food in a plastic bowl handy at all times,
along with a fresh water filled plastic bowl (only occasionally drank
from)

Petzl
--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

Upscale
April 13th 08, 10:19 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
> Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions of
> years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live longer than
outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the unlimited wide open
spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be happy living an indoor only
life as well as a longer life.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 13th 08, 04:12 PM
Upscale wrote:
> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>> Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
>> of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)
>
> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

Professor[_2_]
April 13th 08, 04:34 PM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> Upscale wrote:
>> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>>> Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
>>> of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)
>>
>> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>
> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
> one.
> But that's me.
>
> Ivor

Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy when
nothing could be further from the truth.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 13th 08, 08:25 PM
Professor wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> Upscale wrote:
>>>
>>> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>>> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>>> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>>> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>>
>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>> miserable one.
>> But that's me.
>>
>> Ivor
>>

> Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
> when nothing could be further from the truth.

Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
outside.

Ivor

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 13th 08, 08:27 PM
Matthew wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> Upscale wrote:
>>>
>>> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>>> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>>> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>>> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>>
>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>> miserable one.
>>

> That is about the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

The most ignorant thing *I've* ever heard is that it's ok to keep a cat
indoors just because you *want* to and not because it's *necessary* to do
so.

There *are* circumstances where cats should be kept indoors (FIV+ etc) but
they are in the minority.

> But I am not going to get in this stupid debate again that a few of
> you can resist to keep going

You already did.

Ivor

April 13th 08, 08:57 PM
On Apr 13, 11:12 am, "Ivor Jones" > wrote:
> Upscale wrote:
> > "William Graham" > wrote in message
> >> Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
> >> of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)
>
> > Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
> > longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
> > unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
> > happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>
> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
> one.
>
> But that's me.
>
> Ivor

I have 2 cats, 13 and 15 and they are outside all summer and always
have been......they are in all winter. Spring and summer they are
outside, hanging out in the barn or on the front porch.

Professor[_2_]
April 13th 08, 09:05 PM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> Professor wrote:

>>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>>> miserable one.
>>> But that's me.
>>> Ivor
>>>
>> Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
>> when nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
> outside.
> Ivor

I don't want to continue this argument beyond this post. Most people live
in places where the potential for a cat getting severely injured or killed
outside is very great. Cats have been living with people in houses for
thousands of years. They're not mountain lions, they're housecats.

The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the street
and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe indoors and live
a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly understand it if
someone lived far from civilization but that would probably present threats
from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that cats have been miserable living
indoors with Ivor, which after reading his posts I can understand.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 13th 08, 09:08 PM
Professor wrote:

[snip]

> The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the
> street and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe
> indoors and live a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly
> understand it if someone lived far from civilization but that would
> probably present threats from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that
> cats have been miserable living indoors with Ivor, which after
> reading his posts I can understand.

You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had over the
last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of whom have
lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Ivor

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 13th 08, 09:10 PM
Matthew wrote:

[snip]

> Professor has his points, William has his. Ivor you have yours,
> Baldoni has his. Upscale has his. I have mine this is just to name a
> few. And guess what you all will never change each others minds you
> will never agree with one another on the opposite side. A debate can
> be interesting but the same debate over and over and over and over
> and over and over gets annoying after awhile. You all seem desperate
> to jump on the band wagon when it rolls thru. Take up knitting it
> is more interesting than having to see the same thing almost every
> week.

You don't *have* to see it. Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Ivor

Upscale
April 14th 08, 01:20 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had over the
> last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of whom have
> lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor only
cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement "Personally
I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable one" can we
believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend all your time eating,
drinking and screwing around and then dying by the age of thirty from a
combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver?

dgk
April 14th 08, 03:33 PM
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:57:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Apr 13, 11:12 am, "Ivor Jones" > wrote:
>> Upscale wrote:
>>
>> > Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>> > longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>> > unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>> > happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>>
>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
>> one.
>>
>> But that's me.
>>
>> Ivor
>
>I have 2 cats, 13 and 15 and they are outside all summer and always
>have been......they are in all winter. Spring and summer they are
>outside, hanging out in the barn or on the front porch.

If you have a barn then you're not likely to be in a city where a cat
can easily get run over. Any coyotes or such?

My cats are lucky; they spend most of the time in a house with cat
trees and several floors to run around in. When I'm home, they can go
into the fenced-in backyard and watch the birds and squirrels and
such.

I picked one cat, Marlo, right off the street by my house. After
getting her checked and fixed, I introduced her to my other two and
she mixed in well. So, she is familiar with the neighborhood. I was
concerned that she might not like being fenced in where she used to
roam around freely, but that is not the case.

She is the last cat to head outside when the door is opened, and she
tends to stay near the door. We're finally getting warm enough that I
can leave the door ajar, but during the cooler weather I keep the
storm door closed and open it only when one wants to come in or out.
Whenever I open that door, she comes charging in, as if afraid that
she might be locked out.

I can hardly blame her. It's dry, there's food and a cat fountain,
soft places to sleep, and someone to hold and scritch her and run a
brush through her fur. She may not be the brightest bulb, but she
isn't stupid.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 14th 08, 07:08 PM
Upscale wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had
>> over the last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of
>> whom have lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.
>
> Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor
> only cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement
> "Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
> miserable one" can we believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend
> all your time eating, drinking and screwing around and then dying by
> the age of thirty from a combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis
> of the liver?

You can believe whatever you like.

FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely said I
believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.

And you still don't know me or any of my cats.

Ivor

Dan Espen
April 14th 08, 08:06 PM
"Ivor Jones" > writes:
> Upscale wrote:
>> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>>> You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had
>>> over the last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of
>>> whom have lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.
>>
>> Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor
>> only cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement
>> "Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>> miserable one" can we believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend
>> all your time eating, drinking and screwing around and then dying by
>> the age of thirty from a combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis
>> of the liver?
>
> You can believe whatever you like.
>
> FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely said I
> believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.

Just move up the thread a bit:

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:22 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> Upscale wrote:
>> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>>> Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
>>> of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)
>>
>> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>
> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
> one.
>
> But that's me.
>

> Ivor

Me too, and I wouldn't impose anything else on my cats, either. When you
compare a hundred year lifespan to the infinity of time that is implied in
the universe, it just doesn't make sense to compromise on your enjoyment in
the interest of saving a few years, and anyone who really understands cats
would know that they think the same way, or, at least, would think that way
were they philosophers......:^)

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:27 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> Professor wrote:

>>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>>> miserable one.
>>> But that's me.
>>>
>>> Ivor
>>>

>> Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
>> when nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
> outside.
>
> Ivor

I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to cater to
them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....And therein lies the
answer. If you want to go to the trouble of making sure your inside cats are
happy, then have at it. - I certainly wouldn't try to stop you. But, by the
same token, have the courtesy to understand that I know what is best for my
cats too. - I have neither the time nor energy to keep them happy if they
were trapped inside, so they are better off outside.

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:28 AM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> Professor wrote:

>>> Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
>>> when nothing could be further from the truth.
>>
>> Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
>> outside.
>> Ivor
>>

> I don't want to continue this argument beyond this post. Most people live
> in places where the potential for a cat getting severely injured or killed
> outside is very great. Cats have been living with people in houses for
> thousands of years. They're not mountain lions, they're housecats.
>
> The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the
> street and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe indoors
> and live a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly understand
> it if someone lived far from civilization but that would probably present
> threats from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that cats have been
> miserable living indoors with Ivor, which after reading his posts I can
> understand.

You should speak for your own street.....And let me speak for mine.....

cybercat
April 15th 08, 12:32 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> Upscale wrote:
>> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>>> You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had
>>> over the last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of
>>> whom have lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.
>>
>> Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor
>> only cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement
>> "Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
>> miserable one" can we believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend
>> all your time eating, drinking and screwing around and then dying by
>> the age of thirty from a combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis
>> of the liver?
>
> You can believe whatever you like.
>
> FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely said I
> believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.
>
> And you still don't know me or any of my cats.

I know that you are willing to endanger the animals who trust you to protect
them because you're too lazy to clean a litter box. Couch it in all the
noble "be fwee wild thing" philosophy you want, and there it still is.

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:33 AM
"Ivor Jones" spoke.....

And you still don't know me or any of my cats.

> Ivor

Exactly........It is the unmistakable mark of the liberal to presume he/she
knows what is best for the rest of us, and is quite willing to make a law
that forces his decision on the rest of society, to boot.....We are today
looking at what is probably going to be the most important election of my 72
year lifetime. We are essentially going to choose between socialism and
democracy. I hope we make the right choice.......

cybercat
April 15th 08, 12:38 AM
"William Graham" > wrote >>
> Me too, and I wouldn't impose anything else on my cats, either. When you
> compare a hundred year lifespan to the infinity of time that is implied in
> the universe, it just doesn't make sense to compromise on your enjoyment
> in the interest of saving a few years, and anyone who really understands
> cats would know that they think the same way, or, at least, would think
> that way were they philosophers......:^)

Nonsense. Anyone willing to expose domesticated animals to anything outside
that happens by is an irresponsible person. Period. As for what cats "would
think"
if they were philosophers, we're the ones with the overdeveloped forebrains
and thumbs. Decent pet owners take care of their animals and protect them
from things they have no way of understanding. Like dogs, disease, cars, and
my
personal favorite, humans who love to torture animals.

It's honest of you to admit that you are willing to endanger your cats in
the name
of this asinine 19th-century "be fwee" "philosophy," but the fact that you
actually
congratulate yourself for it is nauseating.

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:38 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> Upscale wrote:
>>>
>>> Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>>> longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>>> unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>>> happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>>
>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
>> one.
>>

> That is about the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.
>

> But I am not going to get in this stupid debate again that a few of you
> can resist to keep going

It may be stupid to you, but to me it is a lot deeper than most people
really understand. - It has philosophical implications that are tremendous,
and not just for the cats. The whole world today is divided between giving
up their freedoms to the government and letting society make their decisions
for them, and standing on their own feet and going with their own decisions
for better or worse. Please choose wisely.......

cybercat
April 15th 08, 12:39 AM
"William Graham" > wrote:

> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to cater to
> them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....

Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might find
a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.

cybercat
April 15th 08, 12:40 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>> Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
>>> outside.
>>> Ivor
>>>

>> I don't want to continue this argument beyond this post. Most people
>> live in places where the potential for a cat getting severely injured or
>> killed outside is very great. Cats have been living with people in
>> houses for thousands of years. They're not mountain lions, they're
>> housecats.
>>
>> The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the
>> street and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe indoors
>> and live a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly understand
>> it if someone lived far from civilization but that would probably present
>> threats from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that cats have been
>> miserable living indoors with Ivor, which after reading his posts I can
>> understand.
>>
> You should speak for your own street.....And let me speak for mine.....
It only takes one car, asshole. One sadistic kid. One dog that's faster than
your cat.

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:42 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
>> Matthew wrote:

>>> That is about the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.
>>
>> The most ignorant thing *I've* ever heard is that it's ok to keep a cat
>> indoors just because you *want* to and not because it's *necessary* to do
>> so.
>>
>> There *are* circumstances where cats should be kept indoors (FIV+ etc)
>> but
>> they are in the minority.
>>
>>> But I am not going to get in this stupid debate again that a few of
>>> you can resist to keep going
>>
>> You already did.
>
> No I did not.
>> Ivor
>
> I am not going to debate this STUPID ARGUMENT with you or anyone else.
> Everyone of you that keeps coming back to this freaking argument and keep
> it going. You only coming back because all of you are playing who can
> pound their chest harder and louder. I think it is called quién es más
> macho in Spanish.
>
> Everyone one of you have made your point to each other multiple times in
> multiple post. And Guess what you still are doing it over and over and
> over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
> over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
> over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
> over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It gets
> BORING
>
> Professor has his points, William has his. Ivor you have yours, Baldoni
> has his. Upscale has his. I have mine this is just to name a few. And
> guess what you all will never change each others minds you will never
> agree with one another on the opposite side. A debate can be interesting
> but the same debate over and over and over and over and over and over gets
> annoying after awhile. You all seem desperate to jump on the band wagon
> when it rolls thru. Take up knitting it is more interesting than having
> to see the same thing almost every week.

When they usher you into your own private padded cell, designed so you can't
hurt yourself by making any stupid decisions, then we will see whether or
not you can recognize the value of the thing called, "freedom", for either
cats or human beings.......

William Graham
April 15th 08, 12:45 AM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 13, 11:12 am, "Ivor Jones" > wrote:
>> Upscale wrote:
>>
>> > Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
>> > longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
>> > unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
>> > happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.
>>
>> Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
>> one.
>>
>> But that's me.
>>
>> Ivor
>
> I have 2 cats, 13 and 15 and they are outside all summer and always
> have been......they are in all winter. Spring and summer they are
> outside, hanging out in the barn or on the front porch.

Yes, and mine will kill to go out should I trap them in the house, and when
they do finally escape, they only go 10 feet from the front door to sit in
the sun on the porch......It isn't the fact that appeals to them, but only
the idea. (Just like Patrick Henry) One can learn a lot from cats.......

Upscale
April 15th 08, 01:55 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
> When they usher you into your own private padded cell, designed so you
can't
> hurt yourself by making any stupid decisions, then we will see whether or
> not you can recognize the value of the thing called, "freedom", for either
> cats or human beings.......

That philosophy is perfectly fine when your decisions affect you only, but
the fact is that almost always, whatever you do has ramifications on other
people or on society. You might rail against some law like having to use a
seatbelt when you're driving, but when you get into an accident and suffer a
serious brain injury, the money and effort put in by other people has to
take care of you for the rest of your life. As always Graham, what you view
as "freedom" by many standards is essentially selfishness.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 15th 08, 01:59 AM
In om,
cybercat > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
: ...

[snip]

: > FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely
: > said I believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.
: >
: > And you still don't know me or any of my cats.
: >
: >
: I know that you are willing to endanger the animals who trust you to
: protect them because you're too lazy to clean a litter box. Couch it
: in all the noble "be fwee wild thing" philosophy you want, and there
: it still is.

Eh..? Where did I mention litter boxes..?

FWIW I spend most weekends at a rescue shelter doing exactly that.

Now come up with a rational explanation as to why I should keep cats that
you know nothing about inside when I live in an environment that you know
equally nothing about.

Ivor

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 15th 08, 02:03 AM
In om,
cybercat > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: It only takes one car, asshole. One sadistic kid. One dog that's
: faster than your cat.

What has a hole in a donkey got to do with it..?

I don't know where you live, but we don't have that sort of thing round
here.

Ivor

Professor[_2_]
April 15th 08, 06:27 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...

> "William Graham" > wrote:
>>>
>> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to cater to
>> them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
>
> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might find
> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.

William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 15th 08, 10:28 AM
In news:[email protected],
Professor > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "cybercat" > wrote in message
: om...
: >
: > "William Graham" > wrote:
: >>>
: >> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
: >> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
: >
: > Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
: > might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
: > them.
: >
: William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
: Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.

That just goes to show that you really don't know me, the area I live in,
or any of the inside/outside cats I've had for the last 30 years.

Ivor

April 15th 08, 07:18 PM
On Apr 15, 5:28 am, "Ivor Jones" > wrote:
> Innews:[email protected],
> Professor > typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:: "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> . com...
> : >
> : > "William Graham" > wrote:
> : >>>
> : >> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
> : >> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
> : >
> : > Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
> : > might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
> : > them.
> : >
> : William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
> : Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>
> That just goes to show that you really don't know me, the area I live in,
> or any of the inside/outside cats I've had for the last 30 years.
>
> Ivor

Look at Professor's history of posting....he's usually looking to
antagonize someone.......just my opinion though...but now he'll be mad
at me for telling it like it is...he'll follow me around again begging
me to stop STALKING him.....Let your cats out, I always have and they
are happy and have lived for many years....my wife's best friend is a
vet and all her cats go outside.......if I were Professor's cats I'd
probably rip his eyes out while he's sleeping... Peace Ivor

William Graham
April 15th 08, 09:50 PM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "William Graham" > wrote:
>>>>
>>> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to cater
>>> to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
>>
>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might find
>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.

More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many cats to
expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My cats are very
happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume to know enough to
tell other people how to live.....God save us from the liberals.....

William Graham
April 15th 08, 09:52 PM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> In news:[email protected],
> Professor > typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:
> : "cybercat" > wrote in message
> : om...
> : >
> : > "William Graham" > wrote:
> : >>>
> : >> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
> : >> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
> : >
> : > Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
> : > might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
> : > them.
> : >
> : William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
> : Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>
> That just goes to show that you really don't know me, the area I live in,
> or any of the inside/outside cats I've had for the last 30 years.
>
> Ivor

Professor is one of those liberals who presume to know how everyone should
live.....Exactly the way he lives......And they are quite willing to make
laws that insist on it. After all, the poor riff-raff of the world couldn't
make it on their own....They need the wise liberals to show them the
way........

Professor[_2_]
April 15th 08, 09:58 PM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might
>>> find
>>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.
>
> More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many cats to
> expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My cats are
> very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume to know
> enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from the
> liberals.....

William Graham addresses the post to me yet none of the text was mine.
He demonstrates that with advanced age, wisdom does not always follow.

cshenk
April 15th 08, 10:02 PM
"cybercat" wrote

> Nonsense. Anyone willing to expose domesticated animals to anything
> outside
> that happens by is an irresponsible person. Period.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say this isnt strictly true. It
really can be situationally dependant. There's a huge disparity between a
city (house or apartment) dweller and a farm owner with a barn well off the
traveled roads.

A farmer may well be supporting 10 or more cats (hopefully spayed/neutered!)
as mousers and they've been outdoor cats all their lives with a nice comfy
warm barn and house privledges may or may not be part of the picture for all
of them. Turning such a cat into an indoor kitty after it's been able to
run about for the past several years, tends to make for an unhappy cat.

Now the reverse treatment is simply 'nessecary' in a city (the bigger, the
more needed it is). Cats are not unhappy indoors at all, if raised that way
or shifted young enough (not sure of the age here as it depends on the *cat*
more than any real average and even an 8YO barn cat might adapt while a 1YO
barn cat may never adapt).

We dont know the OP's situation. We dont know if the cats wander far (many
do not, especially if they have an older set of cats who taught'em 'going to
far from the barn aint safe').

I've taken in many rescue cats over time. A few were outdoor cats. While I
don't claim to be perfect, I have converted some to indoor cats and 1 I
could tell was uncomfortable inside for more than 2 hours (had been an
outdoor cat all his 11 years when we adopted him) I was never able to
convert. He got run over by a crop duster airplane when he was 19. Sad
grin, he was deaf (white cat, blue eyes etc). Gosh, havent thought of
Chester in years. Sweet fellow but refused to come in at night even if it
was snowing so we had a heated pet house on the porch for him. I imagine to
Chester, this was like a little barn all of his own.

Now, where I am at this time? Indoor cats or let them go to others. Too
many busy streets all around me. I would never responsibly raise a cat
where I live now, to expect outside as a place to be. Screened porch, ok.
More, no.

William Graham
April 15th 08, 10:04 PM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 15, 5:28 am, "Ivor Jones" > wrote:
>> Innews:[email protected],
>> Professor > typed, for some strange, unexplained
>> reason:: "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> . com...
>> : >
>> : > "William Graham" > wrote:
>> : >>>
>> : >> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
>> : >> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
>> : >
>> : > Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
>> : > might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
>> : > them.
>> : >
>> : William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>> : Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>>
>> That just goes to show that you really don't know me, the area I live in,
>> or any of the inside/outside cats I've had for the last 30 years.
>>
>> Ivor
>
> Look at Professor's history of posting....he's usually looking to
> antagonize someone.......just my opinion though...but now he'll be mad
> at me for telling it like it is...he'll follow me around again begging
> me to stop STALKING him.....Let your cats out, I always have and they
> are happy and have lived for many years....my wife's best friend is a
> vet and all her cats go outside.......if I were Professor's cats I'd
> probably rip his eyes out while he's sleeping... Peace Ivor

The difference between professor and myself is obvious.....I don't presume
to tell him how to take care of his cats, because I don't know his
circumstances, but he is quite willing to tell me how to take care of mine,
even though he doesn't know beans about me or any of my cats. - He is a
typical liberal. - I have been fighting with them all of my life. They are
obnoxious people who think they know everything and are quite willing to
make laws that force everyone else to live the way they think they should
live. They have no imagination at all, and will be very surprised one day
when they are ushered into their padded cells right along with the rest of
us, because what goes around, comes around. It's easy for them, (for
example) to make laws that force me to wear what they think I should wear
while I ride my motorcycle, but when laws are made that force them to wear
what society thinks they should wear when pursuing their favorite hobby,
they will be very incensed. - But it will be far too late by then, and they
will have to enter their padded cell right along with the rest of us. I just
wish I could be there to usher them in.........

William Graham
April 15th 08, 10:11 PM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "William Graham" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>> More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many cats
>> to expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My cats are
>> very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume to know
>> enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from the
>> liberals.....
>>
> William Graham addresses the post to me yet none of the text was mine.
> He demonstrates that with advanced age, wisdom does not always follow.

My post is addressed, (obviously) to whomever wants me to take my cats to a
shelter where they will, "find a good home". I could care less exactly who
that is, or who is at the header of the post.......I know you well
professor, and I know the way your think. I have been arguing with those of
your ilk for my entire life.

Professor[_2_]
April 15th 08, 10:32 PM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "William Graham" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>>> More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many cats
>>> to expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My cats
>>> are very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume to know
>>> enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from the
>>> liberals.....
>>>
>> William Graham addresses the post to me yet none of the text was mine.
>> He demonstrates that with advanced age, wisdom does not always follow.
>>
> My post is addressed, (obviously) to whomever wants me to take my cats to
> a shelter where they will, "find a good home". I could care less exactly
> who that is, or who is at the header of the post.......I know you well
> professor, and I know the way your think. I have been arguing with those
> of your ilk for my entire life.

Framing of the issue as a liberal versus conservative issue is inaccurate.
You prefer your cats outside because you don't care for them enough
to want to change their litter box. Matthew is just as opposed to your
don't-give-a-damn attitude yet I don't see you calling him a liberal.
If your cats were children and it was a custody battle you'd lose.

April 15th 08, 10:40 PM
On Apr 15, 5:11 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
> "Professor" > wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> > "William Graham" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >> "Professor" > wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]
> om...

> >> More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many cats
> >> to expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My cats are
> >> very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume to know
> >> enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from the
> >> liberals.....
>
> > William Graham addresses the post to me yet none of the text was mine.
> > He demonstrates that with advanced age, wisdom does not always follow.
>
> My post is addressed, (obviously) to whomever wants me to take my cats to a
> shelter where they will, "find a good home". I could care less exactly who
> that is, or who is at the header of the post.......I know you well
> professor, and I know the way your think. I have been arguing with those of
> your ilk for my entire life.

Careful, if you argue with him he will post your phone number after
some nifty cyber sleuthing.......he's a nutjob.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 15th 08, 11:27 PM
In ,
William Graham > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "Professor" > wrote in message
: news:[email protected]
: > "cybercat" > wrote in message
: > om...
: >>
: >> "William Graham" > wrote:
: >>>>
: >>> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
: >>> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
: >>
: >> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
: >> might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
: >> them.
:
: More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many
: cats to expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My
: cats are very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume
: to know enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from
: the liberals.....

Depends on the shelter. I volunteer for Cats Protection, who operate a
strict no-kill policy, a healthy cat is never put to sleep. Some of our
long term residents have been with us for years, notably Polly, who's been
with us over 10 years and lives on top of the tumble dryer in the washroom
:-)

Ivor

cybercat
April 16th 08, 12:25 AM
"cshenk" > wrote
> Now, where I am at this time? Indoor cats or let them go to others. Too
> many busy streets all around me. I would never responsibly raise a cat
> where I live now, to expect outside as a place to be. Screened porch, ok.
> More, no.

I've said all I have to say on the issue for now. Growing up, we lived in
both
urban and rural areas of Maryland. My parents were old school
"indoor/outdoor"
cat people. They were not going to change a cat box. We never had any one
cat for long. If they were not hit by a car they were trapped or poisoned.

Allowing a cat to roam anywhere at all is irresponsible, period. Ever see
the
film of the cat that was tortured and killed? The guy filmed it just for
jollies.

I don't like people who endanger domesticated animals that trust and love
them. I never will. I'm not going to fight about it, either. I am just going
to say
that anyone who endangered their animals for any reason is an ASSHOLE.
And until you can control what is out there, you are endangering your cat.

All of you bitches who allow yours to roam: when they are injured or killed,
you'll get no sympathy from me, just another big **** YOU.

We're all entitled to our opinion and that's mine.

*bows*

April 16th 08, 12:40 AM
On Apr 15, 7:25 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote
>
> > Now, where I am at this time? Indoor cats or let them go to others. Too
> > many busy streets all around me. I would never responsibly raise a cat
> > where I live now, to expect outside as a place to be. Screened porch, ok.
> > More, no.
>
> I've said all I have to say on the issue for now. Growing up, we lived in
> both
> urban and rural areas of Maryland. My parents were old school
> "indoor/outdoor"
> cat people. They were not going to change a cat box. We never had any one
> cat for long. If they were not hit by a car they were trapped or poisoned.
>
> Allowing a cat to roam anywhere at all is irresponsible, period. Ever see
> the
> film of the cat that was tortured and killed? The guy filmed it just for
> jollies.
>
> I don't like people who endanger domesticated animals that trust and love
> them. I never will. I'm not going to fight about it, either. I am just going
> to say
> that anyone who endangered their animals for any reason is an ASSHOLE.
> And until you can control what is out there, you are endangering your cat.
>
> All of you bitches who allow yours to roam: when they are injured or killed,
> you'll get no sympathy from me, just another big **** YOU.
>
> We're all entitled to our opinion and that's mine.
>
> *bows*
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Well mine are free to wander wherever they please. Between the house
and barn, climbing up in the rafters of the barn or just hanging out
on the porch, they are some happy cats.....and if for some reason a
coyote snags one or an owl.......well, that's life. They die with a
smile on their little cat face..LOL!

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 16th 08, 01:01 AM
In ,
cybercat > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: All of you bitches who allow yours to roam: when they are injured or
: killed, you'll get no sympathy from me, just another big **** YOU.

Ah, foul language. The last resort of those who know they've lost the
argument.

: We're all entitled to our opinion and that's mine.

So am I, but at least I can make my point without swearing at people.

: *bows*

*plonk*

Ivor

William Graham
April 16th 08, 04:12 AM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 15, 5:11 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> > "William Graham" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> om...

>> > William Graham addresses the post to me yet none of the text was mine.
>> > He demonstrates that with advanced age, wisdom does not always follow.
>>
>> My post is addressed, (obviously) to whomever wants me to take my cats to
>> shelter where they will, "find a good home". I could care less exactly
>> who
>> that is, or who is at the header of the post.......I know you well
>> professor, and I know the way your think. I have been arguing with those
>> of
>> your ilk for my entire life.
>
> Careful, if you argue with him he will post your phone number after
> some nifty cyber sleuthing.......he's a nutjob.

I have posted my own phone number on the web many times.....Today, it
doesn't matter. We have caller ID, and for a good reason. We don't pick up
on about 80% of the calls we get. I am finding that many of the cell phone
calls I get are also spam calls, too. It won't be long before this device
becomes as useless as the regular, "wired" telephone.....Already I am
keeping it on silent, or, "vibrate" mode most of the time.

I am: William E. Graham, 237 Turnage Street, NW, Salem, Oregon, 97304. And
My telephone number is 503-589-4347. We turn it off at night, and only
answer calls from those we know.

William Graham
April 16th 08, 04:20 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> In ,
> William Graham > typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:
> : "Professor" > wrote in message
> : news:[email protected]
> : > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> : > om...
> : >>
> : >> "William Graham" > wrote:
> : >>>>
> : >>> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to
> : >>> cater to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
> : >>
> : >> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they
> : >> might find a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of
> : >> them.
> :
> : More likely, they would be put to sleep.....There are far too many
> : cats to expect them to find a good home when taken to a "shelter". My
> : cats are very happy, in spite of people like, "professor" who presume
> : to know enough to tell other people how to live.....God save us from
> : the liberals.....
>
> Depends on the shelter. I volunteer for Cats Protection, who operate a
> strict no-kill policy, a healthy cat is never put to sleep. Some of our
> long term residents have been with us for years, notably Polly, who's been
> with us over 10 years and lives on top of the tumble dryer in the washroom
> :-)
>

> Ivor

This is commendable.....I only wish I was wealthy enough to have purchased a
farm when I retired some 12 years ago. I would have many more cats than I
have now. Perhaps I would be able to hire people to help me take care of
them.......Cats require companionship as well as food and water, however,
and I have other hobbies that require my time.....I play the trumpet in
several of the local bands. Cats are also territorial, and I already have
some problems with the 5 cats that I have now......Although my property is
large enough for them, I don't think I could get any more cats and still be
able to keep the peace. We have three females and two males, and even though
they are all neutered, they sometimes fight with one another over territory
and my wife's attention.

William Graham
April 16th 08, 04:26 AM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 15, 7:25 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote
>>
>> > Now, where I am at this time? Indoor cats or let them go to others.
>> > Too
>> > many busy streets all around me. I would never responsibly raise a cat
>> > where I live now, to expect outside as a place to be. Screened porch,
>> > ok.
>> > More, no.
>>
>> I've said all I have to say on the issue for now. Growing up, we lived in
>> both
>> urban and rural areas of Maryland. My parents were old school
>> "indoor/outdoor"
>> cat people. They were not going to change a cat box. We never had any one
>> cat for long. If they were not hit by a car they were trapped or
>> poisoned.
>>
>> Allowing a cat to roam anywhere at all is irresponsible, period. Ever see
>> the
>> film of the cat that was tortured and killed? The guy filmed it just for
>> jollies.
>>
>> I don't like people who endanger domesticated animals that trust and love
>> them. I never will. I'm not going to fight about it, either. I am just
>> going
>> to say
>> that anyone who endangered their animals for any reason is an ASSHOLE.
>> And until you can control what is out there, you are endangering your
>> cat.
>>
>> All of you bitches who allow yours to roam: when they are injured or
>> killed,
>> you'll get no sympathy from me, just another big **** YOU.
>>
>> We're all entitled to our opinion and that's mine.
>>
>> *bows*
>>
>> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**
>
> Well mine are free to wander wherever they please. Between the house
> and barn, climbing up in the rafters of the barn or just hanging out
> on the porch, they are some happy cats.....and if for some reason a
> coyote snags one or an owl.......well, that's life. They die with a
> smile on their little cat face..LOL!

The one you should hate the most is God, who put many millions of cats and
other cute, furry little animals on this earth to be tortured and starved to
death every Winter. Most of the cats I have acquired during my lifetime just
wandered in to my property, trying to escape from Him, and stumbled, by
sheer chance, on me, who really cares about them.

cybercat
April 17th 08, 04:10 PM
"Xerces & Mr.Katsky" > wrote

>With french doors opening onto a screened patio
> where real birdies and real squirrels get up close and personal with the
> cats and their chattel. A real tree for Xerces in the screened patio, and
> real weather, and the smell of fresh mown lawns....

This is ideal, but our cats seem to love sitting in their window seats
even with the windows closed. We open them when weather permits,
and on the first floor there are screen doors they love to look out of.

Lately we have a mocking bird that sings at night and it drives them
both wild, Gracie rushes from window to door to the back of the
couch where the big windor is.

AMUN[_3_]
April 20th 08, 01:20 AM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "William Graham" > wrote:
>>>>
>>> I know mine wouldn't be happier inside, because I am too lazy to cater
>>> to them they way I would have to were they inside cats.....
>>
>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might find
>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.
>>
> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.

Funny thread.

I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let theirs
out accidentally, and never saw it again.
They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and it
dies.

When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a family,
and a good job.

Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.

Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

cybercat
April 20th 08, 08:23 PM
"AMUN" > wrote
> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>
> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

I can tell you are a moron because you use absolutes.

Morons ALWAYS use absolutes. :D

My Gracie ran out the front door, heard the busy street, ran around
the azaleas and right back in the front door.

I bet you have had a LOT of cats, right?

People like you usually do, because yours don't last too long.

And who cares, you can always get another.

Asshole.

Claude V. Lucas
April 20th 08, 08:32 PM
In article >,
Upscale > wrote:

>"AMUN" > wrote in message
>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>
>You're a flaming idiot. Saying that they run is giving them human
>attributes. Cats are curious creatures and want to get outside just because
>it's some place they've never been and so they go looking around. It's like
>any five year old child who chases a butterfly, becomes lost and can't find
>its way back. Only difference is that a cat usually has enough natural
>instincts to survive away from home. A cat new to the outside can easily got
>lost and not be able to find it's way back home. That's not running. It's
>called being in a completely unfamiliar environment without any reference
>point to get home.

And for a different point of view, Bubba the Maine Coon absolutely
refuses to go outside. I leave the door open, weather permitting,
and he'll occasionally look out for a moment, then turn around and
do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
howl that he uses for these occasions. If I set him down, he sets a
land speed record getting back inside. If the door is closed he sits
and howls at the door until someone opens it and lets him in.

Upscale
April 20th 08, 09:16 PM
"AMUN" > wrote in message
> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

You're a flaming idiot. Saying that they run is giving them human
attributes. Cats are curious creatures and want to get outside just because
it's some place they've never been and so they go looking around. It's like
any five year old child who chases a butterfly, becomes lost and can't find
its way back. Only difference is that a cat usually has enough natural
instincts to survive away from home. A cat new to the outside can easily got
lost and not be able to find it's way back home. That's not running. It's
called being in a completely unfamiliar environment without any reference
point to get home.

Upscale
April 20th 08, 10:10 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

> do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
> outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
> if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
> howl that he uses for these occasions.

Har, that's funny. In a reverse role, I'm planning on taking my three year
old Deetoo out for recreation trips this coming summer. Only other times
she's been out is when she's been in her cat carry bag while I roll down the
street to her annual vet examination.

Currently, I've been putting a halter on Deetoo and she wears it around the
apartment for several hours without complaint. Next I'll attach a leash to
the halter and walk her a little bit in the apartment hallways. The final
part will be when I take her over to a friend's house and tie the leash to a
stake in the ground and see how she likes the green grass. If she weathers
that experience without too much complaint, I'll see about expanding outings
for her in the future.

And to the comment a previous poster made, most cat inside/outside comments
are talking in absolutes. I agree with that assessment. If I lived in a
house in some rural area or perhaps a farm, I'd let my cat out. But, not
when I'm living in the middle of a city with 3 zillion cars zipping by and
minimal trees and grass to be found.

Claude V. Lucas
April 20th 08, 11:44 PM
In article >,
Upscale > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>
>> do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
>> outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
>> if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
>> howl that he uses for these occasions.
>
>Har, that's funny. In a reverse role, I'm planning on taking my three year
>old Deetoo out for recreation trips this coming summer. Only other times
>she's been out is when she's been in her cat carry bag while I roll down the
>street to her annual vet examination.
>
>Currently, I've been putting a halter on Deetoo and she wears it around the
>apartment for several hours without complaint. Next I'll attach a leash to
>the halter and walk her a little bit in the apartment hallways. The final
>part will be when I take her over to a friend's house and tie the leash to a
>stake in the ground and see how she likes the green grass. If she weathers
>that experience without too much complaint, I'll see about expanding outings
>for her in the future.
>
>And to the comment a previous poster made, most cat inside/outside comments
>are talking in absolutes. I agree with that assessment. If I lived in a
>house in some rural area or perhaps a farm, I'd let my cat out. But, not
>when I'm living in the middle of a city with 3 zillion cars zipping by and
>minimal trees and grass to be found.

I once thought about trying to accomodate Bubba to a harness for outside
walks, but 25Lbs of howling and wiggling panic on a leash doesn't seem
like that good of an idea.

There isn't much car trafic where I live and there is a 15 MPH
speed limit that is observed my most. The worst danger to cats
in my neighborhood is the occasional escaped Jack Russell.

I got Bubba from the pound, and it really seems as if he
has had a bad outdoor experience in the past somewhere.
I've never seen an animal throw such a fit as when I
take him outside. Even when I hold him he goes into
total panic. If he was inclined to scratch or bite
he'd tear me up....

cybercat
April 21st 08, 12:01 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote

> And for a different point of view, Bubba the Maine Coon absolutely
> refuses to go outside.

Haha. Go Bubba! Some cats are smarter than others.

One day about a month after Gracie ran out the front door and
back in, I made the mistake of carrying her to the door to see
my neighbor. In a new knit pullover, no less. :) My scars have
disappeared, but the shirt will never be the same. I couldn't
hold her. She was 7.5 pounds of pure terror. All my neighbor
saw was a grey blur.

William Graham
April 21st 08, 12:03 AM
"AMUN" > wrote in message

> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might
>>> find
>>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.
>>>
>> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>

> Funny thread.
>
> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let theirs
> out accidentally, and never saw it again.
> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and it
> dies.
>
> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
> away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
> family, and a good job.
>
> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>
> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

I think that if you get a cat from kittenhood, and keep it well indoors, it
can lead a very happy life. but if you get cats the way I do, ones that just
wandered in that someone else abandoned, who have been living outdoors most
of their lives, then it is very hard to keep them as indoor cats. What's
strange about, "professor" is that he presumes to know all about other
people whom he has never met, and thinks the whole world lives the way he
does, or at least ought to live the way he does. He doesn't have the
imagination to be able to put himself in someone else's shoes or believe
that it might be possible for others (and/or their cats) to keep a different
life style than he does.

William Graham
April 21st 08, 12:08 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Upscale > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
>>> outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
>>> if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
>>> howl that he uses for these occasions.
>>
>>Har, that's funny. In a reverse role, I'm planning on taking my three year
>>old Deetoo out for recreation trips this coming summer. Only other times
>>she's been out is when she's been in her cat carry bag while I roll down
>>the
>>street to her annual vet examination.
>>
>>Currently, I've been putting a halter on Deetoo and she wears it around
>>the
>>apartment for several hours without complaint. Next I'll attach a leash to
>>the halter and walk her a little bit in the apartment hallways. The final
>>part will be when I take her over to a friend's house and tie the leash to
>>stake in the ground and see how she likes the green grass. If she weathers
>>that experience without too much complaint, I'll see about expanding
>>outings
>>for her in the future.
>>
>>And to the comment a previous poster made, most cat inside/outside
>>comments
>>are talking in absolutes. I agree with that assessment. If I lived in a
>>house in some rural area or perhaps a farm, I'd let my cat out. But, not
>>when I'm living in the middle of a city with 3 zillion cars zipping by and
>>minimal trees and grass to be found.
>>

> I once thought about trying to accomodate Bubba to a harness for outside
> walks, but 25Lbs of howling and wiggling panic on a leash doesn't seem
> like that good of an idea.
>
> There isn't much car trafic where I live and there is a 15 MPH
> speed limit that is observed my most. The worst danger to cats
> in my neighborhood is the occasional escaped Jack Russell.
>
> I got Bubba from the pound, and it really seems as if he
> has had a bad outdoor experience in the past somewhere.
> I've never seen an animal throw such a fit as when I
> take him outside. Even when I hold him he goes into
> total panic. If he was inclined to scratch or bite
> he'd tear me up....

Mine Winter in the house, but spend their Summers outside on the deck, on
the roof, and/or in the driveway......I protect them with two traffic cones
during the Summer. (from delivery trucks who might use the driveway to turn
around on my one-way street)

Professor[_2_]
April 21st 08, 05:53 PM
"AMUN" > wrote in message
> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might
>>> find
>>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.
>>>
>> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>
> Funny thread.
> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let theirs
> out accidentally, and never saw it again.
> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and it
> dies.
> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
> away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
> family, and a good job.
> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

"AMUN" is a nutcase who hates all non-zionists. He's tracked me here to
flame me, but you can see how whacked in the head he is. He has a short
attention span, he'll lose interest soon enough.

Professor[_2_]
April 21st 08, 05:59 PM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
. ..
> "AMUN" > wrote in message
>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>>> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>>

>> Funny thread.
>>
>> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let
>> theirs out accidentally, and never saw it again.
>> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and
>> it dies.
>>
>> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
>> away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
>> family, and a good job.
>>
>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>>
>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>>
> I think that if you get a cat from kittenhood, and keep it well indoors,
> it can lead a very happy life. but if you get cats the way I do, ones that
> just wandered in that someone else abandoned, who have been living
> outdoors most of their lives, then it is very hard to keep them as indoor
> cats. What's strange about, "professor" is that he presumes to know all
> about other people whom he has never met, and thinks the whole world lives
> the way he does, or at least ought to live the way he does. He doesn't
> have the imagination to be able to put himself in someone else's shoes or
> believe that it might be possible for others (and/or their cats) to keep a
> different life style than he does.

Exactly the opposite. I don't give a **** what you do or how little care
you give your cats. I object to your labeling all owners of indoor cats as
prison wardens when you decree that living outdoors is the only way all cats
should live. You are absolutely and completely full of ****. You should
look into the posting history of AMUN to see what kind of nut job you have
allied yourself with.

cybercat
April 21st 08, 06:19 PM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "William Graham" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "AMUN" > wrote in message
>>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>>> Funny thread.
>>>
>>> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let
>>> theirs out accidentally, and never saw it again.
>>> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and
>>> it dies.
>>>
>>> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to
>>> get away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
>>> family, and a good job.
>>>
>>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>>>
>>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>>>
>> I think that if you get a cat from kittenhood, and keep it well indoors,
>> it can lead a very happy life. but if you get cats the way I do, ones
>> that just wandered in that someone else abandoned, who have been living
>> outdoors most of their lives, then it is very hard to keep them as indoor
>> cats. What's strange about, "professor" is that he presumes to know all
>> about other people whom he has never met, and thinks the whole world
>> lives the way he does, or at least ought to live the way he does. He
>> doesn't have the imagination to be able to put himself in someone else's
>> shoes or believe that it might be possible for others (and/or their cats)
>> to keep a different life style than he does.
>>
> Exactly the opposite. I don't give a **** what you do or how little care
> you give your cats. I object to your labeling all owners of indoor cats
> as prison wardens when you decree that living outdoors is the only way all
> cats should live. You are absolutely and completely full of ****. You
> should look into the posting history of AMUN to see what kind of nut job
> you have allied yourself with.

William is a nutjob too. Also full of ****.

William Graham
April 21st 08, 07:58 PM
"Professor" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "William Graham" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "AMUN" > wrote in message
>>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>>> Funny thread.
>>>
>>> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let
>>> theirs out accidentally, and never saw it again.
>>> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and
>>> it dies.
>>>
>>> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to
>>> get away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
>>> family, and a good job.
>>>
>>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>>>
>>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>>>
>> I think that if you get a cat from kittenhood, and keep it well indoors,
>> it can lead a very happy life. but if you get cats the way I do, ones
>> that just wandered in that someone else abandoned, who have been living
>> outdoors most of their lives, then it is very hard to keep them as indoor
>> cats. What's strange about, "professor" is that he presumes to know all
>> about other people whom he has never met, and thinks the whole world
>> lives the way he does, or at least ought to live the way he does. He
>> doesn't have the imagination to be able to put himself in someone else's
>> shoes or believe that it might be possible for others (and/or their cats)
>> to keep a different life style than he does.
>>
> Exactly the opposite. I don't give a **** what you do or how little care
> you give your cats. I object to your labeling all owners of indoor cats
> as prison wardens when you decree that living outdoors is the only way all
> cats should live. You are absolutely and completely full of ****. You
> should look into the posting history of AMUN to see what kind of nut job
> you have allied yourself with.

Please give the reference where I "label all owners of indoor cats as prison
wardens". I certainly never said that. What I said was exactly what is
printed above. That an indoor cat can lead a very happy
life........Apparently, you are not only narrow minded, but you also have a
problem with reading comprehension.

Pookie
April 21st 08, 09:20 PM
"AMUN" > wrote in message

> "Professor" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Therein lies the truth. Take your cats to a shelter where they might
>>> find
>>> a home with someone who can be bothered to take care of them.
>>>
>> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>

> Funny thread.
>
> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let theirs
> out accidentally, and never saw it again.
> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and it
> dies.
>
> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
> away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
> family, and a good job.
>
> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>
> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.

Cats "held captive"?? Hmmm, that's an odd way of putting it; how does one
know if a cat is being "held captive" or if its actually happier being
indoors? Does the fact that it doesn't run for the door every time it's open
mean that it's happy indoors? Or does that just mean that it's never been
outside before and is treading carefully when it gets a whiff of all the new
smells and hears all the new sounds? Could it possibly not run because,
while it likes the outdoors because it's been out there, it had a bad
experience so it's not in a hurry to go back out? How do you KNOW whether a
cat is happy indoors or out?

Pookie
------
No one died when Clinton lied.

From a bumper sticker.

William Graham
April 21st 08, 10:30 PM
"Pookie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "AMUN" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Professor" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> William and Ivor are two ignorant peas in a very dysfunctional pod.
>>> Cats are good judges of character, these two don't make the cut.
>>

>> Funny thread.
>>
>> I know several people who "indoor" their cats, and at least one let
>> theirs out accidentally, and never saw it again.
>> They swore that same arguments I see here about letting it out once and
>> it dies.
>>
>> When the truth probably was that once the cat finally got a chance to get
>> away, it probably still hasn't stopped running, is now happy, has a
>> family, and a good job.
>>
>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>>
>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>>
> Cats "held captive"?? Hmmm, that's an odd way of putting it; how does one
> know if a cat is being "held captive" or if its actually happier being
> indoors? Does the fact that it doesn't run for the door every time it's
> open mean that it's happy indoors? Or does that just mean that it's never
> been outside before and is treading carefully when it gets a whiff of all
> the new smells and hears all the new sounds? Could it possibly not run
> because, while it likes the outdoors because it's been out there, it had a
> bad experience so it's not in a hurry to go back out? How do you KNOW
> whether a cat is happy indoors or out?

You don't know. Cats are curious, and they can't stand not being able to
satisfy their curiosity.....Try keeping your indoor cats out of a particular
room or closet. They will kill to get in there, even it there is nothing
there that they want or like. This another reason why I have "outside cats".
I can't spend all my time policing the entrances and exits from my large
house. The truth of the matter is that my cats never go anywhere but the
roof and porch, because they really don't want to go anywhere else. And all
I have to do to achieve this is to not worry about them getting out.

CatNipped[_2_]
April 22nd 08, 07:53 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Upscale > wrote:
>>
>>"AMUN" > wrote in message
>>> Cats free to come and go outdoors , return because they want to.
>>> Cats held captive, will always run when they get a chance.
>>
>>You're a flaming idiot. Saying that they run is giving them human
>>attributes. Cats are curious creatures and want to get outside just
>>because
>>it's some place they've never been and so they go looking around. It's
>>like
>>any five year old child who chases a butterfly, becomes lost and can't
>>find
>>its way back. Only difference is that a cat usually has enough natural
>>instincts to survive away from home. A cat new to the outside can easily
>>got
>>lost and not be able to find it's way back home. That's not running. It's
>>called being in a completely unfamiliar environment without any reference
>>point to get home.
>>

> And for a different point of view, Bubba the Maine Coon absolutely
> refuses to go outside. I leave the door open, weather permitting,
> and he'll occasionally look out for a moment, then turn around and
> do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
> outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
> if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
> howl that he uses for these occasions. If I set him down, he sets a
> land speed record getting back inside. If the door is closed he sits
> and howls at the door until someone opens it and lets him in.

All of mine are that way too. After hurricane Rita we were without
electricity for over a day and had to leave all the windows and doors open
just to get a little breeze and not bake to death. All of my cats walked in
wide circles around the open doors afraid the scary "out" would get them.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
April 22nd 08, 08:04 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Upscale > wrote:

>>>You're a flaming idiot. Saying that they run is giving them human
>>>attributes. Cats are curious creatures and want to get outside just
>>>because
>>>it's some place they've never been and so they go looking around. It's
>>>like
>>>any five year old child who chases a butterfly, becomes lost and can't
>>>find
>>>its way back. Only difference is that a cat usually has enough natural
>>>instincts to survive away from home. A cat new to the outside can easily
>>>got
>>>lost and not be able to find it's way back home. That's not running. It's
>>>called being in a completely unfamiliar environment without any reference
>>>point to get home.
>>>

>> And for a different point of view, Bubba the Maine Coon absolutely
>> refuses to go outside. I leave the door open, weather permitting,
>> and he'll occasionally look out for a moment, then turn around and
>> do something else. On the occasions when I pick him up and carry him
>> outside he immediately goes into full drama queen mode and acts as
>> if I'm sticking pins in him or something. He has a special "outdoor"
>> howl that he uses for these occasions. If I set him down, he sets a
>> land speed record getting back inside. If the door is closed he sits
>> and howls at the door until someone opens it and lets him in.
>
>All of mine are that way too. After hurricane Rita we were without
>electricity for over a day and had to leave all the windows and doors open
>just to get a little breeze and not bake to death. All of my cats walked in
>wide circles around the open doors afraid the scary "out" would get them.

He'll sit in the doorway and look out for a minute or two.

I wish I had a recording of Bubba's outdoor howl.

It's an amazing combination of "NNNNNOOOOOO" and "OOOOOOOWWWWWWWW"

I can even put food outside and he won't go out for it.

With Bubba, that's really saying something.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
April 22nd 08, 08:45 PM
In om,
cybercat > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "Professor" > wrote in message
: news:[email protected]

[snip]

: > Exactly the opposite. I don't give a **** what you do or how
: > little care you give your cats. I object to your labeling all
: > owners of indoor cats as prison wardens when you decree that living
: > outdoors is the only way all cats should live. You are absolutely
: > and completely full of ****. You should look into the posting
: > history of AMUN to see what kind of nut job you have allied
: > yourself with.
:
: William is a nutjob too. Also full of ****.

And anyone who has to resort to abuse to make their point has lost both
the argument and any credibility they may once have possessed.

I'm out of here. With my cats.

Ivor

cybercat
April 22nd 08, 09:04 PM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> In om,
> cybercat > typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:
> : "Professor" > wrote in message
> : news:[email protected]
>
> [snip]
>
> : > Exactly the opposite. I don't give a **** what you do or how
> : > little care you give your cats. I object to your labeling all
> : > owners of indoor cats as prison wardens when you decree that living
> : > outdoors is the only way all cats should live. You are absolutely
> : > and completely full of ****. You should look into the posting
> : > history of AMUN to see what kind of nut job you have allied
> : > yourself with.
> :
> : William is a nutjob too. Also full of ****.
>
> And anyone who has to resort to abuse to make their point has lost both
> the argument and any credibility they may once have possessed.
>
> I'm out of here. With my cats.

What a shame.