PDA

View Full Version : Rank these canned foods!

RPSinha
October 26th 07, 09:49 PM
I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:

Fancy Feast
Pro Plan
Iams
Nutro
Science Diet
Nature's Recipe
Trader Joe's house brand
Whole Foods house brand

Trying to avoid the least and the most expensive.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 26th 07, 10:01 PM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
>I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
> Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
> decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
> please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:
>
> Fancy Feast
> Pro Plan
> Iams
> Nutro
> Science Diet
> Nature's Recipe
> Trader Joe's house brand
> Whole Foods house brand
>
> Trying to avoid the least and the most expensive.

Here's a link that will help if you're worried about CRF, but I don't know
if it will help with nutritional values:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

This one is by "Consumer Research, but I don't know if it will give you what
you're looking for:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/cat-food/index.html

And Phil P's "Max's House" web site is a font of good information on just
about anything feline - here's his take on feline nutrition:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

HTH!

Hugs,

CatNipped

studio
October 26th 07, 10:10 PM
On Oct 26, 4:49 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
> Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
> decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
> please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:

I have not tried, nor do I have access to all these brands,
so there's no way I could rank these products.

My cat just eats Fancy Feast almost exclusively.
They have 50 flavors, and she's tried and likes them all.
I never feed her the same flavor twice in a row...as a matter
of fact, it's rare if she gets the same flavor in the same week.

She has had Iams a few times though.

October 26th 07, 10:53 PM
On Oct 26, 2:49 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
> I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
> Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
> decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
> please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:
>
> Fancy Feast
> Pro Plan
> Iams
> Nutro
> Science Diet
> Nature's Recipe
> Trader Joe's house brand
> Whole Foods house brand
>
> Trying to avoid the least and the most expensive.

Hi, I can empathize with trying to find a way to find the best or most
nutritious food for your cat. I recently ran across an article in
Animal Wellness Magazine (June/July 2007 issue). The main article is
called "Pet Food Recall leaves bitter taste: What they're not telling
you." At the end of that article is a link to a pet food report by a
vet
on pet food ranking according to nutritional values. I think it's
very helpful and you might think so to. Just go to:
http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/art/aV93_62c.htm and see wha you
think.

Kathy P.
October 27th 07, 12:21 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 26, 2:49 pm, RPSinha > wrote:
>> I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
>> Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
>> decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
>> please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:
>>
>> Fancy Feast
>> Pro Plan
>> Iams
>> Nutro
>> Science Diet
>> Nature's Recipe
>> Trader Joe's house brand
>> Whole Foods house brand
>>
>> Trying to avoid the least and the most expensive.
>
> Hi, I can empathize with trying to find a way to find the best or most
> nutritious food for your cat. I recently ran across an article in
> Animal Wellness Magazine (June/July 2007 issue). The main article is
> called "Pet Food Recall leaves bitter taste: What they're not telling
> you." At the end of that article is a link to a pet food report by a
> vet
> on pet food ranking according to nutritional values. I think it's
> very helpful and you might think so to. Just go to:
> http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/art/aV93_62c.htm and see wha you
> think.

Of course the cat may not care what the nutritional value is and may
actually only eat the least nutritionally valuable food...

RPSinha
October 27th 07, 12:23 AM
Kathy P. > wrote:

: Of course the cat may not care what the nutritional value is and may
: actually only eat the least nutritionally valuable food...

Fortunately for me, this one is not too picky about what she eats. I
just want to learn where the best value is. This knowledge can be used
for other cats too, each of whom will have their taste preference.

RPSinha
October 27th 07, 01:34 AM
> wrote:

: http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/art/aV93_62c.htm
: and see wha you think.

Thanks. Very interesting. One surprise for me was to see Fancy Feast
being ranked along with Friskies, Whiskas, etc. I thought it was more
premium than that, perhaps at the level of Pro Plan, Iams, and Nutro.

RPSinha
October 27th 07, 01:58 AM
CatNipped > wrote:

: http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/cat-food/index.html

: http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Thanks. I know #1 and #3 but didn't know about Consumer Research
article. As I said in another post too, one surprise for me was to see
Fancy Feast being regarded as lower level brand. I have to believe they
are better, if only because I just bought a bunch of them. :)

studio
October 27th 07, 07:13 AM
Association of American Feed Control Officials
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1399&articleid=657

Fancy Feast:
http://www.fancyfeast.com/#title=home&page=home
Also a priemium Fancy Feast:
http://www.elegantmedleys.com/

Big Mama got a nice gift packages from Elegant Medleys and Sheba.
Sheba costs about $1.09 a 3oz. can, and is the among the most
expensive
I know of.
I was tempted to put it on some bread and eat it myself!

For all those interested, check the Web site for complimentary offers.
This company is the same one that makes M&M candies...Mars Inc.
http://www.sheba.com/home.asp

RPSinha
October 27th 07, 08:28 AM
studio > wrote:

: Sheba costs about $1.09 a 3oz. can, and is the among the most
: expensive I know of...For all those interested, check the Web site
: for complimentary offers http://www.sheba.com/home.asp

The comp offer seems to have expired.

Another thing, I haven't seen the actual product, only its web page,
but the ingredient list given there is so short that while it seems
"pure" I wonder if all the nutrients are there. In particular I didn't
see taurine in the ingredient list.

Go to above web page, mouse over cuisine, click poultry or seafood,
then any particular entree. Of course food so expensive probably has
balanced nutrition, :) so it must be the web site quirk.

Another odd thing is, their product locator brings up grocery stores,
Kmart and Target, but no Petsmart or Petco.

spannerswirlyflow
October 27th 07, 12:42 PM
I am most surprised at any cat owner buying into Iams - given the propensity
of their parent company Proctor and Gamble to carry out over 30,000 vile
animal experiments per year - this fact itself was admitted by P & G to the
US government some while ago.
Here, in the UK there is a healthy boycott of Iams pet foods because of the
animal cruelty involved - I don't want to give you the websites to look at
because, frankly, they are sometimes sick and obscene in their content and
doubly disturbing but .. and it's a big 'but' if you want to know why you
should not put one cent into this company via it's pet foods just do a
search for 'Iams' and 'animal cruelty' etc .. use your imagination, it isn't
difficult to find .. as I say, I am just surprised at people who love their
animals have 'Iams' amongst the food they will feed their cats who are also
seen as being friends and companions .. that's all - (honest!) Regards.

RPSinha
October 28th 07, 01:43 AM
spannerswirlyflow > wrote:

: I am most surprised at any cat owner buying into Iams - given the propensity
: of their parent company Proctor and Gamble to carry out over 30,000 vile
: animal experiments per year - this fact itself was admitted by P & G to the
: US government some while ago... as I say, I am just surprised at people who
: love their animals have 'Iams' amongst the food they will feed their cats who
: are also seen as being friends and companions .. that's all - (honest!) Regards.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I am no fan of Iams, but the only way
a boycott would make sense is if we boycott all products made by all
companies that participate in or benefit from animal experiments.

RPSinha
October 28th 07, 01:51 AM
RPSinha > wrote:

: Another thing, I haven't seen the actual product [sheba], only
: its web page, but the ingredient list given there is so short
: that while it seems "pure" I wonder if all the nutrients are there.
: In particular I didn't see taurine in the ingredient list.

I happened to be in a Target today and stopped in to look at a
Sheba can. They are marketed not as complete but supplemental
food, healthy treats if you wish. It would be cheaper to just give
them a little human grade chicken or tuna.

William Graham
October 28th 07, 03:00 AM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message news:271020071951349609%>

I happened to be in a Target today and stopped in to look at a
> Sheba can. They are marketed not as complete but supplemental
> food, healthy treats if you wish. It would be cheaper to just give
> them a little human grade chicken or tuna.

Reminds me of a few months ago when I was in the local Safeway. (a terrible
store) They had Bumble Bee tuna on sale for 40 cents a can, and their cat
food (same size) was 55 cents a can.....So, I bought several cans of the
tuna.....Big mistake! It was so bad that the cats wouldn't eat it.....I
wouldn't eat it either........

RPSinha
October 28th 07, 03:23 AM
William Graham > wrote:
: Reminds me of a few months ago when I was in the local Safeway. (a terrible
: store) They had Bumble Bee tuna on sale for 40 cents a can, and their cat
: food (same size) was 55 cents a can.....So, I bought several cans of the
: tuna.....Big mistake! It was so bad that the cats wouldn't eat it.....I
: wouldn't eat it either........

I assume it was packed in water not oil? How close was expiration, may
be that's why it was on sale. :)

My cat goes crazy about any brand tuna at first, but gets bored after
eating about 1/6 of the can. I know she is still hungry because if I
give her other food, she'll eat with gusto.

RPSinha
October 28th 07, 03:26 AM
cindys > wrote:

: I don't know about ranking them, but I'm firmly convinced that
: Fancy Feast and Pro Plan are the same food.

Pro Plan is about 30% more expensive at the stores near me, so that
would make a good case for FF. :)

William Graham
October 28th 07, 03:41 AM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
> William Graham > wrote:
> : Reminds me of a few months ago when I was in the local Safeway. (a
> terrible
> : store) They had Bumble Bee tuna on sale for 40 cents a can, and their
> cat
> : food (same size) was 55 cents a can.....So, I bought several cans of the
> : tuna.....Big mistake! It was so bad that the cats wouldn't eat it.....I
> : wouldn't eat it either........
>
> I assume it was packed in water not oil? How close was expiration, may
> be that's why it was on sale. :)

With Safeway, there's no telling......That's one of the reasons why it's a
terrible store. I don't remember whether it was packed in water or oil.....I
try to buy the stuff packed in water, but the cats like it either way,
usually. I just bought this stuff because it was cheaper than cat food, but
the cats wouldn't touch it........

> My cat goes crazy about any brand tuna at first, but gets bored after
> eating about 1/6 of the can. I know she is still hungry because if I
> give her other food, she'll eat with gusto.

Yes. My cats usually only eat a few bites of most anything I give them. But
the feral cat will usually clean it up in the middle of the night.....He
keeps his own hours.......:^)

Sherry
October 28th 07, 07:34 AM
On Oct 27, 8:12 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
>
> ...>I am close to a Petsmart and a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and
> > Trader Joes. I can brood over prices and look for sales, and my cat can
> > decide the taste, but could you, the more experienced people here,
> > please rank the following canned food brands according to nutrition:
>
> > Fancy Feast
> > Pro Plan
> > Iams
> > Nutro
> > Science Diet
> > Nature's Recipe
> > Trader Joe's house brand
> > Whole Foods house brand
>
> > Trying to avoid the least and the most expensive.
>
> --------
> I don't know about ranking them, but I'm firmly convinced that Fancy Feast
> and Pro Plan are the same food.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Not really, though they are probably close. The texture of the food is
different.

Sherry

Sherry
October 29th 07, 03:24 AM
On Oct 28, 11:40 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Oct 27, 8:12 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> >> "RPSinha" > wrote in message
>
> ...>Iam close to a Petsmart and
> >> a Whole Foods, can get to a Petco and

> >> --------
> >> I don't know about ranking them, but I'm firmly convinced that Fancy
> >> Feast
> >> and Pro Plan are the same food.
> >> Best regards,
> >> ---Cindy S.
>
> > Not really, though they are probably close. The texture of the food is
> > different.
>
> -----------
> They are both made by Nestle/Purina. They both come in all kinds of
> different textures: Pate, grilled, flake, shredded, chunks. How are you able
> to compare the textures?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

I buy a lot of both brands. It just looks different. The PP chunk
varieties are denser than FF, not as much liquid.
Many have rice mixed in it, which FF doesn't. Really the one that
*does* look
close, is the FF grilled turkey looks a lot like the PP Turkey & Rice
(sans the
rice of course).
Then there's the new Pro Plan Selects. The texture is different in
those, too. My
cats have totally refused every can of that I've opened for them.

Sherry